What Is/Was Your College Major?

Options

Replies

• kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    At university, I did my BA in Psychology, with a variety of language, literature and science classes as well. That was supposed to be a BSc Honours degree with a minor in French or English, and then I was going to go on to MSc/PhD, but my chronic illnesses exploded in my 3rd year and had me barely able to attend classes. I stubbornly decided to take a lighter workload and just get my degree and get out. Would have been smarter to take a year off, try to recover and then go back to it, in retrospect, but at that point I still thought a degree was an "instant career" ticket. Ha!

A few years later, after some thinking about what I really wanted to do (that BA wasn't quite the ticket I thought it would be), I went to college and did a Diploma of Game Art & Design.

I've ended up using both, though the Psych degree is more indirect. I worked in the videogame industry for 5 years (and maybe will again, once I recover from crazy overtime burnout), and now I'm in the film visual effects industry. I've done a ton of project & people management. A lot of management philosophy is really just applied psychology, so that has been very useful. The diploma has been even more useful, giving me the creative eye and theoretical background to be an effective manager. Also, both have given me great time management skills.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten into the healthcare field for something a little more stable. I originally wanted to do Optometry, but got sidetracked...that would have been awesome. I'd be at a point now where I'd have my own practice and control my own hours, which would have been pretty nifty. But then I would have always wondered what I could have done if I had followed my creative side. "I wonder if I ever could have worked on a game or a movie...I suppose I'll never know!" Really, I'm living out my 15-year-old-self's dream right now, so I think I'll keep running with it. ;)
  • cdbillups
    cdbillups Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Started off to be a Math teacher so majoring in Education with emphasis in math. At the end of my Sophomore year switched my major to Information Systems. I wouldn't really do it any different. I like what I do and do what I like. :)
  • stephgreene
    stephgreene Posts: 143
    Options
    Communications with a concentration in Media Production! :)
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I got my BS in history-social sciences education. Not a lot of teaching jobs available after graduation so I continued on to get my master's. Right now I am working on my Master's in Library Information Science. I'd like to work in a university library. I will be looking for teaching or librarian jobs after I graduate and hope I can get something in either one! Good luck to you!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm a Political Science major!
  • lemonbug
    lemonbug Posts: 59
    Options
    Nursing :)
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    My first time through earned me a BA in Biochemistry. Minor in Studio Art. I had my oldest shortly after I graduated and ended up taking a job in customer service to support us. Did that for 4 years until I went back to college. This time for my Nursing degree. Got a year from graduation and had my son and then we moved around so much I never finished that up. Seriously considering going back and finishing that degree. Im currently a stay at home mom.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Major: BIology
    Minor: Chemistry
    Earned a BS
    Went to med school, now I'm a psychiatrist.

I bet you see a lot of interesting stuff in here.... :P

My major is biology. My minor is writing.
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    B.Sc. in Pharmacy. No lack of jobs in the 30+ years I have been in this field. :smile:
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I went to college with a double major: Art (drawing) and Social Work. I look back now and see why I'm broke. :wink:
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I majored in Biochemistry and am now in vet school so I would say it paid off.
    :happy:
  • Bridgett14
    Options
    I'm an actuary, and I absolutely love my profession. If you like math and problem-solving, you should definitely check into it. I work in the health insurance industry, which is pretty exciting these days, as you can imagine!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    -BA in Biology/Pre-Med with mini-MS thesis on Psychoneuroimmunology
    -studied for a year for Ph.D. in Immunology/Microbiology (before discovering that working in a lab is similar to being in HELL)
    -MA in Criminal Justice concentrating on Forensic Microbiology

And now I'm a cop. LOL!

But all that kollidge makes me higher paid than a lot of higher ranking officers, so I don't care. I like what I what I do.
  • Viewparadise
    Options
    It was communications, so yes, like every other Mass Comm major who is NOT a professional athlete, I had to go back and get another REAL degree when I was ready to get a REAL job....
    Second degree is in education
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    My major is Radiography (X-ray).

For your choice- you can't go wrong going into health care, even if it's in the administrative side of things, but I may be a bit bias ;)
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Started pre-med, wound up with my BS in psychology (emphasis on victimology) with a minor in child and family studies. Wish I'd stuck with the med because it turns out that, after a few years of working with victims, I totally burned out and don't ever want to do any sort of counseling again.

Anthropology/archaeology would have been cool, too :-)

Kris
  • kitchenfairy
    Options
    Just getting registered for my first classes in 10 years. Going to get an AAS in Accounting cause I need to get a job before hubby retires from the military.
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm currently an English major and I'm planning on minoring in either Business or Communications. I have NO IDEA what I'm going to do and it really sucks to be shy and not a "go-getter." :(

Also, I really wish my school didn't separate English Literature and Writing, not to mention making it impossible to major in one and minor in the other. And I wish I had come in Freshman year minoring in Biology like I was thinking of doing; it would be nice to have knowledge in a specific field so I could be a technical writer or something.
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    I was a Mathematics major, with an education interest. I graduated with a BA and a teaching certificate.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I got my Associates in Dental Hygiene, and a BA in Secondary Education, I might get my masters in Administration so that I can take my boss's job!