June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! I have been running for awhile but I have never really been able to run a whole mile without stopping or walking. Today I did this all while pushing a jogging stroller with my 1 year old in it! I have another mile to run today but I am super proud of myself for this accomplishment!!

Goal 1/60

6/1: 2 miles. :#

• kristinamcdonald54
    kristinamcdonald54 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    2.93 miles to start.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I missed the regular Wednesday Night Club Run - traveling for work. 5hrs driving, 3 hrs work, 5hrs driving
    Did manage to get out on the Riverbank for a little 4 km run at 1030pm ( 2230 ) . It was fantastic - so nice and cool along the river - the sun was just setting so had that brilliant Red Sky. Might have to start doing my runs at the same time. The negative was that I did exceed my Monthly Midge Protein Supplement allowance.

06/01 – 4.0 Km – 4.0 - 136 km – 614.2 km

exercise.png

140km goal for the month.
    Upcoming Events Subject to change.
    June 12, 2016 Heritage Run Half Marathon
    July 2, 2016 Tuffest 10″ Foot Race ( 10 or 20 km - Hill Repeats )
    August 21,2016 Tri-River Triathlon
    Sept 11, 2016 Don't Get lost in the Woods HM
    Sept 23, 2016 Roots and Ruts 10km
    Oct ?? Turkey Waddle
    Nov ?? Remembrance Parade
    Dec ?? Stuffed Turkey Trot
    Dec ?? Santa Jingle Jog

@5beautifuldays Happy Birthday and I hope the Woodford Reserve tastes fine.
    @lporter229 I like the Zen Running strategy that you are working on. "Try not to focus on mileage or speed. Enjoy my running and, most importantly, stay injury free. Look into incorporating more trail running into my schedule. What little trail running I have done, I have enjoyed. "
    @poppetsmaster is starting to influence you with his Zen Strategy. Now If I could only find the Woodland Reserve in my local Liquor Stores.
    I love my trails, the wilder the better, narrow, twisty, trees to jump over, streams to ford, Mud bogs to play in B) . I may not be the fastest but He/She who finish's with the biggest Smile and dirtiest legs/shoes wins.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    6/1-4.17
    6/2-5.79<-First ever Fartlek

Total: 9.96/100

Notes on today: First ever Fartlek for me. Assignment was 20m warm up followed by 10-12x1m at 5k-10k pace with 1m recovery in between, finished by 20m cool down. I ran 10x1m since I wanted to make sure I could do it. Boy am I glad I did! average pace for the fast intervals was 7:27!! My PR 5k pace is only 8:58! Needless to say, this totally wore me out. My recovery intervals were in the 11:30-12:20 range, which is just about perfectly in my Active Recovery Range.

All in all, a great run, and I'm now looking forward to tomorrow's rest day!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My update from yesterday...

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Date.....Distance..Average heart rate/Pace
    June 1 - 6.1 km - 156/5:47
    June 2 - 5.5 km - 154/6:00

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k (Goal 21:40)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @mnlittlefinn - awesome! I'm new to fartleks too. Avoided them for 18 months, but now I find I enjoy them as well!
    @4leighbee - lol - I tried yoga a couple times but it wasn't for me.

Had a nice 5 miles this morning. I don't know why the heat/humidity is killing me this year. Maybe because we actually had a spring, which is rare here. Usually we go from awesome February to HOT. But this year March/April and most of May were actually nice. It was 85 and 87% humidity at 4:30am. WT*kitten* It was messing with my stomach for a bit but at least I didn't have to stop.

6/1 - 22 miles cycling
    6/2 - 5 miles

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    June
    1-nothing
    2-hope to get something in tonight. yoga/circus girls+pedicure night=hangover

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual 40:08
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual 41:46
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half (got my gear-good stuff)
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Namaste, everyone. Tried hot yoga for the first time this morning. My eagle was ... amusing. Too bad it's not acceptable to giggle when people get all tied up in knots the wrong way. I was definitely giggle-worthy this morning. My ADD permitted the yoga practice, which was surprising. I thought I'd be restless. Still ... hoping for a run this afternoon!

lol, if giggle wasn't allowed i wouldn't have a yoga class. i encourage everything from giggle to tears. mind, body, and soul

@mnlittlefinn and @ddmom0811 love me some fartleks. in fact, i should probably be a little more structured. maybe i'd get faster
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...........TOTAL
    6/1.................BOYCOTTED ...0.00
    6/2.....................7.00.................7.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    You will wake up to run and I will whine and tell you not to and you will say " but ... But running" and you will go.I do not buy for one second that you will not run @poppetsmaster

Its our routine... but I did boycot it yesterday... and put myself in a mileage hole one day in... lol

• Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    You will wake up to run and I will whine and tell you not to and you will say " but ... But running" and you will go.I do not buy for one second that you will not run @poppetsmaster

Its our routine... but I did boycot it yesterday... and put myself in a mileage hole one day in... lol
    You didn't boycott it ! you had other things to do and you whined about not getting to run. You whined at least three times so do NOT pretend it was an intentional boycott ☺️
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Four miles of 70 done this morning. I swear I'll figure out the ticker thing sometime this week, so I can be one of the cool kids.
  • mrs_madison_keane
    mrs_madison_keane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hoping to log 100 miles by the end of June! We are going on vacation on July 1st, so this is a perfect goal timeline for me. Yay! So excited to join in the running fun! :smiley:

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Jun: 3.28 miles
    02-Jun: 3.50 miles
    03-Jun:
    04-Jun:
    05-Jun: <Life Day>
    06-Jun:
    07-Jun:
    08-Jun:
    09-Jun:
    10-Jun:
    11-Jun:
    12-Jun: <Life Day>
    13-Jun:
    14-Jun:
    15-Jun:
    16-Jun:
    17-Jun:
    18-Jun:
    19-Jun: <Life Day>
    20-Jun:
    21-Jun:
    22-Jun:
    23-Jun:
    24-Jun:
    25-Jun:
    26-Jun: <Life Day>
    27-Jun:
    28-Jun:
    29-Jun:
    30-Jun:

Upcoming Races:
    03-Jun: Daylily Dash 5K, Gray (7 PM)
    11-Jun: Rumble on Wartown 5K, CGTC
    25-Jun: Cornerstone 5K, Byron *OR*
    Xtra K for the Kids 6K, ACE, Macon
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA
    13-Aug: Apple-a-Day 5K, Macon
    05-Sep: Labor Day Road Race 10K
    17-Sep: Joshua's Wish 5K
    24-Sep: Georgia Golden Olympics 5K
    22-Oct: S.C.A.R.E. 5K, Macon

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks!!! I have been running for awhile but I have never really been able to run a whole mile without stopping or walking. Today I did this all while pushing a jogging stroller with my 1 year old in it! I have another mile to run today but I am super proud of myself for this accomplishment!!

Goal 1/60

@glitterrainn I remember the first time I ran a whole mile. I was crying and I got to work I couldn't wait to tell my boss and everyone else who would listen to me. Great job!!!! :star:

@moyer566 this comment had me hysterical, maybe it's cause I'm tired or because I have a dirty mind, but holy crap I'm sitting here laughing my head off at the possibilities The wedding is just around the corner isn't it?

2-hope to get something in tonight. yoga/circus girls+pedicure night=hangover
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Ah, June 1st is here! That makes me very happy, and not because it's Global Running Day or whatever, but because that means that May is gone and I can get back to my life as I know it. May is the worst month for running because it's filled with gardening obligations that can't be postponed, too many family commitments and it always culminates with our Sunday-before-Memorial Day-Greatest-Day-In-Racing party, which means too much food and way too much drink.

So here we are in June and, as I mentioned before, I am in great need of re-evaluating my relationship with running. After qualifying for Boston, I have just lost all desire to train with that competitive edge. I don't really care if I get faster and I don't really care how many miles I log. I want to run, but I have no real desire to beat myself up in the process. My goal for June is to focus on my overall well being and not really have any running goal *erases previously posted goal of 130 miles*. Here are my commitments for June:

1. Some form of exercise before work every day, even if it's only 20 minutes of yoga. I have found that this definitely increases my energy and my ability to stay focused on my work.
    2. Try not to focus on mileage or speed. Enjoy my running and, most importantly, stay injury free.
    3. Look into incorporating more trail running into my schedule. What little trail running I have done, I have enjoyed.

I will probably continue to post my miles to keep with the spirit of the thread, but not gonna set a goal...

This is what I am afraid of, since BQ seems to be the biggest motivator for me. I have no idea what will be next in store for me once I achieve that.

So what's this gardening you speak of...?

Yeah, it's strange. I did not anticipate this, so it's kind of interesting to deal with it. I still love running and I WANT to run, it's just that my motivation is coming from an entirely different place. That whole faster and farther thing just doesn't seem to matter as much. In a way it's nice because I feel like I am reconnecting with some of the joys of running that were getting lost in the numbers, but I also feel like I need something new to focus on because the "randomness" of it is driving me a little nuts after being so used to running on a structured schedule for so long. It's a tricky thing to find the balance.

As for gardening, well those are those little plots of land that have pretty flowers and yummy vegetables growing on them. I'm pretty sure you probably run past them all the time... :)
  • lporter229
    Options
    How do you guys take your cutback weeks? Do you still run the same amount of days or just shorten all the runs. I have one next week and I though I'd just skip one run and cut the long run in half

I typically do my normal training schedule, but with a reduction in the miles. The whole point of the cutback week is to give your body a break from continually building mileage and to give it a chance to recover a bit and make use of the gains you made through your training. However you chose to do this is entirely up to you. Figuring out how your body responds to training and what works best for you is part of the learning process.
  • lporter229
    Options
    June 1- 5 miles solo plus 1.2 miles with the puppy. Also yoga.