Options
    Going to go for 50 miles this month.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh. I am now wishing I hadn't checked Facebook, or been a Marathon Maniac/Half Fanatic.

They are having their 2016 MM/HF Reunion at the Des Moines Marathon on 10/6. That event is day two of the I-35 challenge (which @karllundy just referenced above) with the KC Marathon the day before (which I am signed up for already).

So all I would have to do, in theory, is run both events to go enjoy the camaraderie at the reunion. I would also get 4 medals (one for each event, one for the I-35 challenge, and a MM/HF reunion medal) but I typically find those extra medals a bit boring because I didn't do anything different to earn them than what I did to get the finisher medals for each event. :smile: So that aspect doesn't really entice me at all.

BUT...If I wanted to use both events to try and level up in some way there is only one option for me which is to run the full marathon both days which would take me from Bronze (1 star) to Iridium (4 stars).

I'm also wondering if this is what made @karllundy interested.

This is nuts. I had no thoughts at all, anywhere close, to attempting two fulls on back to back days. And here I am wondering now...

I need professional help.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh. I am now wishing I hadn't checked Facebook, or been a Marathon Maniac/Half Fanatic.

LOL, no worries. So do I. I was going to say "so do all of us" but didn't want to speak for the masses.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

LOL, no worries. So do I. I was going to say "so do all of us" but didn't want to speak for the masses.

Preach it girl, you speak for the masses LOL
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You and me both @Stoshew71! I can't downward dog to save my life....

I'm not a big yoga fan, but downward dog is the best calf stretch you can imagine, so it's been a life saver for me after years of shin-splints.
    Thanks!! I ran my second mile and didn't stop either. I ran with my 10 year old. I made a new PR of 10:57. I have never ran a mile under 11 mins. Hopefully I can keep that up!!! I almost cried I was so happy!!

And now you'll be hooked! That's the feeling motivating all of us, just with newer aims each time. Welcome to the club!

My monthly mileage

2nd June - 3.53 miles (tempo instead of the recovery pace I intended to do, oops)

MTD - 3.53/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    18th Sept - Run Reigate Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom, 9voice9 and @7lenny7 - Thank you for answering my question. I think that is the direction I am leaning is to fit them in when I can which on days I work it is getting up an hour early, when it is cooler and doing it then and on my off days doing it when I can fit it in which is closer to 8 or 9 AM.

@MobyCarp - Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I forget about the sleep part because I feel I am in a constant state of sleep deprivation LOL. I work 10+ hour shifts with a commute that is over an hour without traffic.
    my day starts at 5:30 AM and I am not back home until 8:30 PM if I am lucky and have to do Mom stuff until who knows when. To me getting up an hour earlier isn't a big deal because by the end of the day I am exhausted anyways. My days off are my "catch up days" and even then I only sleep until 8 or 9 because my internal alarm wakes me up. :(
    I am just trying to work thru some frustration with myself right now because my runs aren't what I want them to be and feel like I am not improving. I think doing 2 or 3 days early before the "real heat" hits and then 1 day later on would be a better balance. I think my issue is trying to find that balance you speak of, effective training, training for conditions and not getting injured without losing sleep and eating right plus not overthinking it and enjoying the process. Thank you for the reminder that this is what I do for FUN. It is a stress reliever and if I am not perfect, so what.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Got my formal registration confirmation for my next 50k. New course for me which makes everything fun.
    It says it is a single-track course that includes rocks, roots, stream crossings and approximately 2,500′ of elevation gain.

Then they posted these "warnings":

"Recent rains might have washed out multiple sections of the trail. Be advised that the trail could be slippery and muddy. Be prepared for wet conditions and loose footing. Down trees are always on the trail, so use caution navigating over or around them. Bridges can be slick and cambered causing potential hazards so be aware of your footing." (Who cambers trail bridges??)

"There are no less than 8 stream crossings in each direction. Most are 4-6 inches deep “one-footers.” You can get across most every one with a good hop and getting only “one-foot” wet. Plan on wet feet." (I will be soaked, because I don't hop. Ever.)

"Also, is easy to get off course in the final mile before the finish line." (Seriously? WTF??? After running for 7 hours on a booby-trapped trail they decide to screw with your head on Mile 31... gotta love a RD with a sense of humor...)

"The mosquitoes and deer flies are abundant." (I will look so beautiful when I finish.)

@7Lenny7 wants my bib...
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'll shoot for 50.....and if I get more, so be it.

exercise.png
    [/url]
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do 5 miles today but I had some other errands to attend to. This is what I did get to do today though:

exercise.png

Hopefully tomorrow and Saturday I can get some walks/runs in.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    The only thing I ran today was my mouth unfortunately .

Lol!! We can still count it...
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @shanaber @stoshew71 @skippygirlsmom and @juliet3455 Thanks for the birthday wishes!
    @poppetsmaster thanks for the virtual bourbon!

True to my word I didn't run yesterday. I was ridiculously busy with stuff for the family. I did sneak in a short, slow run with the pokey dog this morning. I'm hoping for a little longer run tomorrow, but still trying to avoid aggravating my surgical site.

I did have two different people ask me for advice about starting to run over the past couple of days, which is pretty funny. "Run slow. Run really slow. Then run a little more. Walk a little if you have to." I'm a guru!

exercise.png

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - I am looking at the I-35 challenge because it works for me geographically, would actually qualify me as a Half Fanatic, and mostly just because most people wouldn't...I'm kinda nuts like that.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I ran 4 "easy" miles then crapped out from all of that freaking "easiness". I may need a break or something. Too bad I have a 5k tomorrow night and a half on Saturday. Maybe I'll walk them! :lol:

6/1 - 8 brutal miles
    6/2 - 4 crappy miles

12/225 miles

exercise.png

2016 races (this list is subject to change at the posters whim):
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 but was only 12.5 miles
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS) 2:17:38.4 new PR
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    7/23 - Psycho Summer Run Toto Run 50k (Kansas City, KS)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    The only thing I ran today was my mouth unfortunately .

As long as it's fast enough to not get caught... :smiley:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @shanaber @stoshew71 @skippygirlsmom and @juliet3455 Thanks for the birthday wishes!
    @poppetsmaster thanks for the virtual bourbon!

True to my word I didn't run yesterday. I was ridiculously busy with stuff for the family. I did sneak in a short, slow run with the pokey dog this morning. I'm hoping for a little longer run tomorrow, but still trying to avoid aggravating my surgical site.

I did have two different people ask me for advice about starting to run over the past couple of days, which is pretty funny. "Run slow. Run really slow. Then run a little more. Walk a little if you have to." I'm a guru!

exercise.png

Did you virtually get wasted?
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    One plodding mile today on the TM, but with yoga and weightlifting today, I imagine I may be a smidge sore tomorrow. Stealin' a pint tonight - y'all have a great evening! xo
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    June 1     5.1      5.1  
    June 2     5.6     10.7  

exercise.png