Weekly Weigh In Challenge for June

Options

Replies

• mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    Ladies, thanks for sharing your stories, and Mariecela - great pictures!! I'm probably not going to keep this short because of #6 in my list from yesterday ;)

My Fitness Story:

I'm the complete opposite from most of you awesome women, I'm that one who grew up skinny...so skinny, when I look at old pictures and if I didn't know how much I regularly ate, I would have thought I was anorexic. But I played a lot as a kid, and I was a complete tomboy because I hung out with the guys (all the girls in my neighborhood smoked by 4th grade, and I thought it was stupid) and played basketball, kickball, raced bikes, climbed trees, etc. I was never an athlete per se, but I guess I just played hard and can remember eating entire bags of Doritos as a teenager (yes you can think ill of me now) and never gained a pound. When I went into the Army in my 20's, they lied on my form as I was checking in because I only weighed 98 pounds, and the guy put 100 pounds on my form because that was the minimum for my height. By the time I left ROTC/summer camp, I weighed 109 pounds (the only person in my platoon that gained weight; most of the guys lost like 25 pounds) because I had never exercised or ate so much in my entire life.

Since then I've never weighed below 110 lbs. At my first duty station there was lots of beer and ice cream, and I left there at about 120 lbs. I was sort of able to keep things in check due to the mandatory exercise in the military, but after I got out of the Army (26 years ago), I just had sedentary jobs, and rarely exercised. By my 40's I thought I was at my heaviest (135) and managed to lose 20 pounds doing the Six Week Body Makeover (for 13 weeks). However, that program was just too rigid for me to maintain long term. But it did teach me a lot about nutrition, and better eating habits. I eventually (over 7-8 years) put the weight back on, and then some.

Now, I'm in my 50's. When I quit my job last year to start my own business, I weighed over 150, which for me was now the heaviest I've ever been. I was able to get down to 139 using the 6WBMO alternate system - Food Lover's Network; however, still had a challenge maintaining it, and was probably way over estimating the portion sizes. I started racing Stand Up Paddleboards last year, and thought that would be enough to help me lose the weight. But over the winter, I put most of it back on 1) because I was lazy and barely exercised (too cold or windy to paddle), 2) I got depressed / stressed because none of my contracts for my business had worked out yet, 3) I ate like crap or frankly didn't eat at all (I tend to be an under-eater these days), and 4) dealing with peri-menopause hormonal fluctuations (OMG they are crazy). So the weight came back.

I got on a site called Fitocracy to track my workouts in Jan because I was convinced if I just worked out enough, I could lose the weight. They kept talking about tracking your macros and how it's all about the macros. I sort of rolled my eyes, but last month decided to give macro tracking a go, since nothing else was really working. That's when I found MFP, and started educating myself on proper calorie intake, macro ratios, etc. I've been tracking since mid-May and have lost about 4 pounds so far. I really wish I had learned about this stuff when I was much younger.

I want to lose to be faster on my paddleboard for racing (my two primary competitors are both all of a 105 pounds, and they are strong and super fast). I also want to fit back into my skinny jeans - I miss wearing my skinny jeans. I just want to feel better/healthier. I also want to stop thinking of it as exercise, and start to think of it as play time again. I had so much fun playing as a kid, that it never felt like exercise (which just seems like such a chore to me). I want that again too!!

Wishing everyone strength, tenacity, and dedication to see this through to your goals. You are worth it, and you can do it!!

Ha I went back to read your #6. had a good laugh
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    Good morning and TGIF!!!

I hope you all had a great and successful work week in everything not only weight loss. I've really enjoyed reading all of your fitness stories and facts. I can relate to so many of them. Thank you all for participating.

Yesterday we all talked about our Fitness Stories....our pasts and how we arrived where we are now....

For todays question in our fitness challenge....Lets make a trip to the future!

What are your Fitness Goals??
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    My main fitness goal is to run. I want to run. I've never in my life been able to and I have tried when I lost the weight 3 years ago and was starting to jog and loved it. I would like to be able to one day do a 5k to start with and go from there. I am not sure where I want to be in weight in think its the least important. I just want to be healthy and active. At the moment my goal is to reach 160 but then after that I will focus less on weight and more on fitness.
  • the_raptor
    the_raptor Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Is this challenge for weight loss only, or can those of us trying to bulk up also participate?
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    the_raptor wrote: »
    Is this challenge for weight loss only, or can those of us trying to bulk up also participate?

Whatever your goals are you are more than welcome! If bulking up is your goal then we are here to support you!
  • Shelle33
    Shelle33 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all of the posts here, so I decided to join in. Please pardon the next three, as I'm catching up on the daily questions.

10 facts about me:

1) I'm an opera singer/actor. I've been performing professionally since the age of 10.
    2) My favourite novel is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
    3) I love sushi!
    4) I play a lot of instruments, but my favourite is the piccolo.
    5) I've always wanted to dye my hair purple.
    6) I'm culturally Jewish.
    7) I love to cook, mostly Japanese food, but I hate cleaning dishes!
    8) I've always been fascinated by marine biology.
    9) I used to be a competitive swing dancer and fencer.
    10) I have a tiny tabby kitty, who I love very much.
  • beurredepeanut
    beurredepeanut Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Shelle33 wrote: »
    I'm loving all of the posts here, so I decided to join in. Please pardon the next three, as I'm catching up on the daily questions.

10 facts about me:

1) I'm an opera singer/actor. I've been performing professionally since the age of 10.
    2) My favourite novel is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
    3) I love sushi!
    4) I play a lot of instruments, but my favourite is the piccolo.
    5) I've always wanted to dye my hair purple.
    6) I'm culturally Jewish.
    7) I love to cook, mostly Japanese food, but I hate cleaning dishes!
    8) I've always been fascinated by marine biology.
    9) I used to be a competitive swing dancer and fencer.
    10) I have a tiny tabby kitty, who I love very much.

I LOVE the opera!! Also I dyed my hair purple a few months ago since I'm on mat leave and if it's possible with your job, you should totally do it!! I never loved my hair as much lol
  • lovelybe347
    lovelybe347 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Name:stacy

Starting Weight May 29th:243
    Goal Weight July 3rd:

Weigh In Week

June 5:
    June 12:
    June 19:
    June 26:
    July 3:

Total LBS lost this week:
    Total LBS lost this month:

Weekly Goals:1.5

Struggles:carbs and trying to eat enough

Successes:started kick boxing
  • Shelle33
    Options
    My Fitness Story:

I will try to keep this brief. I will fail at this... :)

At 5'5" and 176.6 lbs, I am the tallest and biggest of anyone in my family, including the men (family of Lilliputians). I was thin as a child and only remember being made aware of my weight when my grammy stood me in front of a mirror at age 13 (5'1", 116 lbs) and told me that I was at the perfect size and was not allowed to get any bigger/gain anymore weight. I went through the final stages of puberty in about 2 weeks at age 16 (her chest grew three sizes that day...), so that didn't last long.

Went on my first serious diet in 1st year uni (I was probably 140-145 lbs before starting). Counted everything by hand in a brown notebook and was much too strict (goal was 1200 calories per day, but I was often under). I never weighed myself (only just purchased a scale this year), but I did slim down a lot. I stopped dieting after I fainted in the library.

During 2nd year, I got into a severely abusive relationship. I developed PTSD, agoraphobia, severe anxiety, and depression. I was in that relationship for a little over a year. In that time, I gained roughly 50 lbs, took medical leave from school...it was a mess. I was a mess.

After that ended, I focussed on recovery and diet/exercise became key in that. Joined myfitnesspal and set calories at 1300. I went from a size ? to a size 5 in 7 months. Mental health was also greatly improved; no more agoraphobia, lessened flashbacks, started back at school...

Got into another relationship. The abuse crept on over time (he was a friend of many years, so I felt safer/ignored red flags). Gained weight again, but slowly over the course of almost 2 years. Not sure how heavy I got, but it was bad.

After I ended that relationship, I started back on myfitnesspal. I set my calories at 1370 and lost weight slowly over 8 months, going from about a size 12 to a size 7-8. I took up burlesque and fell in love. Dance became my main form of exercise.

Met my current partner, a lovely, talented man who is a serious foodie and craft beer enthusiast. With his love and support, I moved across the country, finally graduated from school, and got a dream job. My weight has crept up over the 2.5 years together. I didn't notice at first, but now I definitely do. I started back on myfitnesspal in earnest on March 18, 2016. I weighed 186.6 lbs. I currently weigh 176.6 lbs. I'm getting back into exercise slowly, but that's the hardest part for me.

Yeah, not so brief. :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,046 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Since I do Friday record weigh ins (I actually weigh daily), I figured I'd post my stats for today.

Starting Weight May 29th: 147.2 lbs (but was 146.2 lbs on 5/27, the week before 3 June)
    Goal Weight July 1st: 140 lbs

Weigh In Week (I weigh in for record on Fridays, so I adjusted the days for Friday weigh ins)
    June 3: 145.2 lbs C/W/H: 35"/30.25"/40.25"
    June 10:
    June 17:
    June 24:
    July 1:

Total LBS lost this week: 1 lbs
    Total LBS lost this month: 1 lbs

Weekly Goals:
    • Cardio at least 4 times a week (SUP twice; Walking or Gazelle twice) / 24 hours in June challenge
    • Strength training 1-2 times a week / Kettlebell 2 times a week
    • Planking challenge daily
    • Eat within my macro ratios and under my calorie goal daily / Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily
    • 7-9 hours of sleep per night

Struggles this week:
    • I added in some strength training/kettlebell yesterday. Still need to get in one more kettlebell day each week.
    • Struggling with sleep. Didn't even get 7 hours last night either (which reflects on the scale for me).
    • Struggling with eating some days. Yesterday was one where I got too busy and ate very late just to get calories in.
    • Still working on those macros. I did do a major adjustment earlier this week, and I think I'm tracking better with moderate carb ratios than with the high protein ratios.

Successes this week:
    • Doing good with staying under my calorie goals and meeting my daily water goals.
    • In the 145's (Wed & Thurs & Fri)!!
    • Doing good getting in cardio - 24 hours of working out in June challenge really helps with this (doesn't sound like much, but it's essentially 6 hours a week!!).
    • Done well with keeping up with the plank challenge after restarting - finished Day 10 yesterday.

Edited after reweighing myself this morning after my morning void. Must remember to do that first.
  • Shelle33
    Options
    What are my fitness goals?

To figure out this whole exercise thing so that I don't keep getting injured. To slim down so that I can be more marketable in performing. To become a better dancer and do a solo burlesque show. To build my strength and fitness levels so that I set myself up for a happy, healthy future, both physically and mentally.
  • Shelle33
    Options
    Shelle33 wrote: »
    I LOVE the opera!! Also I dyed my hair purple a few months ago since I'm on mat leave and if it's possible with your job, you should totally do it!! I never loved my hair as much lol

That's awesome! I want to do it so badly, especially now that my hair is long (waist length). It's just really hard with my show schedule and with classical theatre...
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,046 Member
    Options
    My Fitness goals:
    • Become faster on my stand up paddleboards for racing; next year compete with the 12'6" race board ladies, and eventually compete nationally (2-3 years from now?). Losing weight will help with speed, but I also need more muscle for stronger paddle strokes. Hoping to be down to 130 by the time the fall races start, and get to my initial goal of 120 by the end of December.
    • I want to have less aches and pains after a workout, which I hope means I'll be more fit. Right now, a good workout can often wipe me out for the rest of the day. I want it to give me more energy to get more done.
    • Be able to slide into my old skinny jeans (right now I'm bigger than my old 'fat' jeans). I want to be wearing XS/S again.
    • Get rid of my chicken neck. I am tired of doing weird head/face contortions when I'm getting my picture taken so it doesn't look like I have a double chin.
  • wtbarunner
    wtbarunner Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am way behind so here are my answers to all 3 question. I will try and keep short.
    10 things
    1) I live in Canada
    2) I live on a farm and would not change that
    3) love gardening
    4) love to bake and cook
    5) work in health care
    6) addicted to the show Gilmour girls currently watching on Netflix.
    7)love sports
    8) have run/walked some 10k's
    9) love animals
    10) drives a ford

My fitness story: I have been overweight all my life but never as heavy as I am now. Always played sports growing up. Played softball until I was 20 and loved it. I am in the worst shape of my life right now and just can't seem to get out and exercise, but I am working on it. I want to become a runner!!

My fitness goals: To become active and get and great physical shape I would like to become a runner who actually looks forward to the "RUN". TO BE HEALTHY!!!!
  • mandi5596
    mandi5596 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My fitness goals: I want to lose about 100 pounds. After, I reach my goal weight (maybe even in the process) I want to be able to run a 5k. Most importantly I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin again.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Me too! Joining late, but I can add my weights because I weigh myself daily and log it.

Starting Weight May 29th: 209.2 lbs

June 3: 206.0 lbs

Goal weight July 3rd: 196 lbs (Under 200!!!)

Daily Goals:
    Log everything!
    Low Carb, High Fat
    96 oz or more of water
    10,000 or more steps

Weekly goals:
    Drop 2 pounds per week.

Monthly goals:
    Recalibrate my macros and stick to them no matter how tough it seems at first.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    Wow already some great losses and it's only the 1st week! Well done everyone!
  • OneThrone
    OneThrone Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Name: Adele

Starting Weight May 29th: 237.7
    Goal Weight July 3rd: 225.0

Weigh In Week

June 5:
    June 12:
    June 19:
    June 26:
    July 3:

Total LBS lost this month: 0

Weekly Goals:

Workout 6 days - Rest 1

Reach my step goal (10,000) each day plus an extra 2000.
    Drink 2 quarts of water a day.
    Don’t eat my earned calories from exercise
    Stay within my Macro percentages.

Struggles:
    Eating out, not enough sleep and wanting carbs.

Successes:

Being totally truthful all week on my diary.
  • rollinskae
    rollinskae Posts: 39 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My fitness goals:

- I want to become physically strong while I lose weight (frequent weight training has already helped loads)
    - Getting back into "healthy" and "normal" BMI and body fat percentages (specifically, less than 164 pounds and 30% or less body fat)
    - I want to run and enjoy it!!!
  • sfalk1977
    sfalk1977 Posts: 142 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Name: Sarah

Starting Weight May 29th:15 St 1 lb (211lb)
    Goal Weight July 3rd:14 stone 3 (199 lb)

Weigh In Week

June 5:
    June 12:
    June 19:
    June 26:
    July 3:

Total LBS lost this month:

Weekly Goals: goals for this week....1. stay on plan. I've planned my food for a whole week and want to stick to it. 2. Try to clock up 7500+ steps on my fitbit each day

Struggles:night shift worker, plantar fasciitis for two years. Now on crutches which reduces my ability to exercise.

Successes:drinking plenty of water, good at planning when I can be bothered!