June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    My Garmin died. :o First time. I've had it 6 months. So I'm now charging and running about 6:30 or 7. I'm also currently buzzed with a high heart rate due to albuterol. Hopefully this feeling passes before my run.
  • CutieCait123
    CutieCait123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    6/1 2 miles
    6/2 Rest
    6/3 3.5 miles

34.5 miles left for the month
    (I think I made my goal a little short of my expectations)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I haven't had time to get caught up but I saw this from a friend (a runner who was diagnosed with Lymes) and wanted to share it as a reminder to all of you trail runners. The article is a couple of years old but is still relevant.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/health/runners-and-lyme-disease?cid=soc_Runner's+World+-+RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner’s+World__Health

I just got tested for Lyme today! Hopefully have results by next week... It's hard to explain to people who don't lift or run when your soreness and aches are way worse than they should be. "Well of course you're tired, that would make anyone tired!" well no, not exactly....
    I have taken lots of time off, even gained some weight back thinking maybe it was something training related. Hopefully have some answers soon.

I hope everything is ok!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    June 1- 5 miles solo plus 1.2 miles with the puppy. Also yoga.
    June 2- 5 miles hills plus 0.75 miles with the puppy

Hypothetical question. You go to the doctor for a routine infusion of some medication. They monitor your vitals and you have a low grade fever and really low blood pressure. But you feel fine. You were really looking forward to a short and easy evening run after work. But it is pretty hot outside. Do you still do the run or error on the side of caution and skip it? I am asking for a friend ;)

Hypothetical question back at you: Does this doctor have a history on your friend, specifically? And does the doctor know your friend is a serious runner?

My normal, healthy temperature runs a bit below the standard 98.6. When my temperature is at 98.6, I can feel a low grade fever. I presume that the standard is an average and there are people whose normal, healthy temperatures run a bit above. Does your friend know where his/her normal, healthy temperature hangs out?

Of course, we all know that serious distance runners tend to have low blood pressure and low resting heart rate. Every time I go in to donate blood, they ask if I exercise. One time, the nurse said, "Are you a runner or a swimmer?" As in, with that heart rate I had to be one or the other.

Anyway, if it's a real fever, running is risky. If it's simply a normal temperature higher than the standard, no big deal.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    . . . there WILL be a day you can't run/walk anymore, because that's life and ageing, but that should be all the more reason to do it now whilst you can.

Best sign from a spectator at the Winter Warrior Half last January: "There will come a day when you cannot run 13.1 miles. Today is not that day."

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! Even if I have only run 13.1 (at a single "sitting") once. "Today is NOT that day."

Dayum. Making me wanna go out for a couple miles tonight (since it's not hellish now). But I guess I'll save that motivation for tomorrow. Think I'm gonna get up close to my regular 4:30 so I can have some mostly-dark miles tomorrow morning....
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    2 more miles today.

exercise.png

Fun 5k tomorrow morning - won't be a fast one but will be full of silliness and a bit of running. And then food!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Almost an hour of pilates this afternoon then 10k run this evening. I left about 6:45 and it was still 75 with 80% humidity so plenty of sweat involved. Also chose a hilly route. Average pace was 9:48. My best 10k pace in cool weather was 9:16 so not bad. Average HR 177 of course. So far with cloudy days I've not had any real stress in the heat. None of the dizzy spells, chills,etc. I hope I can keep tolerating it as it gets hotter.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    1 June – 10 km
    3 June – 10 km
    4 June – 5 km parkrun

Goal: 150 km (93 miles)
    Total: 25 km (15.5 miles)

Upcoming:
    June 11-12: Serra Terror 80 km trail walk relay
    June 19: Winter Solstice Lighthouse to Lighthouse 15 km
    September 18 – Beat the Blerch virtual half marathon 21.1 km
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's supposed to be really hot this weekend in the PNW. Very different than usual! I would have done a 5k tomorrow in my town but we are going to the ZOO, so I won't be getting any miles in tomorrow. And it's supposed to be blazing hot also. Yay for 103* at the Zoo. lol. Lots of steps, but no running. Still keeping up with my pace around 11 mins. I ran my mile tonight at 11:11. Slowly but surely, I will get faster!

6/1: 2 miles
    6/2: Rest
    6/3: 1 mile.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:

6/25: The DIRTY DASH!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    6.1 miles in the rain, along the Mississippi River, at midnight. The gentle rain, the whistle of the trains, the glow of the lights across the river, the steady strobe of the lighthouse and even a little fox running across my path. Yeah, this run kicked *kitten*!

Tomorrow (later today actually) I'll be spending a few hours working on the boat, then a stop to run the trails on the way home.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom and @louubelle16 thanks for sharing those stories. Hopefully my situation isn't so serious! I get that she's getting on my case out of love but I get a sense that she and my wife are conspiring and are unwilling to listen to what I'm saying. I'm the healthiest person in the house!

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 - Love the race report. Yeah, it feels different running near the front of a small race, when you know there would be lots of people in front of you in a big race. Do I understand this, you won a 5K outright with a time of 21:57?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Oh no. People that won them are under 18 min. I'm in the wasteland. Just far enough the top men so I can't see them and just fast enough from the rest of the runners so I can't see them. With that time in a "casual race" like this I usually come in top 30 or so. Best I got was 10th place.