June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Congratulations! 46 pounds ... that's fantastic ... keep running!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm late to the party - four days and already 11 pages of posts! I'm going to cheat a bit and start reading at page 11, and hopefully catch up later on the first ten pages...

I'm not sure what goal to set for this month, since the second half of it will be a vacation for me. I so need that now! But I might not get to do a lot of running, so I'll just set a goal of 100km for the first two weeks for now.

I'm off to a slow start - until yesterday, work was insanely crazy, I'd be surprised if I got even five hours of sleep on average per night for the last week or so. After I got rid of my on-call-phone Friday noon, I decided to treat myself to a new pair of running shoes (not that I don't have too many already - I blame the lack of sleep for the slip in judgement!). Got home, sat on the couch to put them on, leaned back for a moment - and woke up again three hours later. Right, so maybe I was a little exhausted... Instead of the planned intervals, I decided to just run around a nearby forest and enjoy the evening, very nice :)
    Today I slept in really, really late, and when I was finally ready to head out for a run, it was too hot and humid. Hopefully I'll manage an earlier start tomorrow!

exercise.png

@WhatMeRunning More than about a hilly 5k, I would have been more worried about the impact that free beer and BBQ have on a run early the next morning ^^ Sounds like you did great, awesome time for a hilly half!

@katharmonic Love the photo! The megapede sounds like lots of fun ;-P And congratulations on your great success with MPF in the the past year.

@greenolivetree I hope the rest of the day goes better than the morning, and that you have some delicious tacos and a nice run!
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Today was supposed to be my long run, but my patents are visiting and I knew I was going to drag my mom around the rim trail on Capulin Volcano later in the morning, so I took it easy and just did 6 miles. That gives me 10 for June so far.

Great running, y'all! I'm going to Google Pigeon Pose right now.
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• Frienda
    Frienda Posts: 15 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @DrLauraDVM16 Had to Google Rim Trail on Capulin Volcano and Pigeon Pose. I like the look of the Trail - pigeon pose not so much, looks like Medieval Torture.

@katharmonic The mental image I had of your Megapede at the Paige's Butterfly Run gave me some major LOL :D
    Serious ConGrats on 1 year on MFP, Lost 46 lbs and became a runner!

I have now completed 3 HM's and love them. 5k's are now my everyday shorty's, 10k's my minimum distance training runs for the HM's and my Favorite Race distance. Long enough for a good workout, short enough that they don't destroy the rest of your day.
    If it's a smaller event with no corrals then the best piece of advice I ever heard was to look at the results from the previous year for the race and use that information along with your training run times to place yourself in the starting pack. My first event I started in the back 25% of the pack and I was faster than everyone around me so I had to do a lot of passing - ended up 23 out of 300 and still amazed I managed that. Now I usually start in the 1/4 to 1/3 of the pack as that is where I usually finish. It helps that I now recognize a lot of the local speedsters so I know that if I am 2-5 rows behind them I am placed for a good start with minimal passing or slowmo blockers in front of me.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---6.01
    4---5.05

11.06/80+

Upcoming races:

11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  853.39/ 2016

Hopeful races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @whatmerunning great races and race report. Cracked up at the rigor mortis comment.

@katharmonuc. Super run!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @cljoe7. Welcome!!!
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...........TOTAL
    6/1.................BOYCOTTED ...0.00
    6/2.....................7.00.................7.00
    6/3.....................5.00...............12.00
    6/4...................10.00...............22.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Okay, 3 miles done. I set out to do 4. First 2 miles my legs were dead then my stomach got very unhappy. But 3 is better than none.

Carried my new water bottle to try out on a short run. Half mile in my right shoulder was cramping so I ended up switching hands constantly. Maybe I'll adjust to it and not feel so stiff.

We got up to 78 briefly and the sun brought the humidity down to 60% so I actually felt cooler than last night.

Welcome to the group @cljoe7 :)
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom & @greenolivetree thank you!
    And I get to log my first mileage:
    6/4 -- 1.71-- jog/ walk with Pandora the puppy. More jogging than walking (yay!), although also a few stops to sniff trees & things (Pandora, not me.)

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 and @WhatMeRunning and @katharmonic , loved your race reports!

@JaneKnoll1 and @cljoe7 Welcome! Lovely to have people join us who are getting into running.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do 13 miles again. It's getting hot here in Missouri and with the warmer weather my gym likes to do more crazy-intense workouts. So depending on how flubbery my legs are feeling afterward I'll try to get a c25k in. It's a slow process :disappointed:

6/1- .05 miles
    6/2- .25 miles

exercise.png