June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 Congrats! :heart: you know I need to see a wedding picture, or well, it didn't happen LOL!!
    @greenolivetree pretty place to run, I love the pictures
    @5beautifuldays you are so right about the kiddos.
    @kevinrogers4 welcome
    @bradboughner5 welcome also, thanks for sharing your story. So glad you were able to find running as an outlet, amazing weight loss. You are gonna love us! :smiley:
    @ceciliaslater good luck today!!! Loved your post, it's all about balance
    @instantmartian ugh on your race, I'm so sorry sounds like my 10K from last week. Sometimes it just sucks.

6/6 - I think I'm taking a rest day today. I might decide to run tonight but I had a rough night and decided to sleep in a bit this morning and walk with Macy instead of running.
  • asmalworld
    asmalworld Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Setting an easy goal for June I'm fasting this month so cutting down on distance.

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I tumbled off the wagon and was run over by the rear wheel last month.

@instantmartian This made me laugh! But seriously, I'm sorry you've felt terrible. For the past few years I've had recurring issues with blocked ears (months at a time) and that alone can make you feel horrible.

@moyer566 Yes, pics!

Today is a rest day (from running, not exercise in general). And I'm probably not running until Friday. My left knee has been really odd and honestly I think biking caused it but I'm gonna try to chill out and go low impact a few days and see if that helps. It just feel tight and it pops/cracks a lot. If I ran Tuesday, my week 23 mileage would be high (for me) so I think I'll just skip it and also I'm planning on making week 24 a cutback week. Then resume building from there. I don't have any serious plan/schedule with my running - I just take each week as it comes and work around weather and how I feel in general.

I did a terrible job of hydrating yesterday so I need to get back on that today.

June 1 - 2 mile run because NATIONAL RUNNING DAY
    June 2 - Rest day
    June 3 - 54 min pilates........10k run
    June 4 - 3 mile run
    June 5 - 7 miles running with an 8:56 virtual 5k in the middle - Not my all time 5k PR but a PR for this year :)
    June 6 - Not sure yet but will involve strength/pilates and a little cardio

June run goal: 18.25 of 50 miles

I'm ahead of schedule at this time. If I kept running 18.25 miles in 5 days I'd top 100 miles this month which is too much for me at this time. But I'll have it leveled off by the halfway point.

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was out for about 5 miles, but only ran about 2.5 of those. It was a nice enough afternoon, with a cool breeze that felt good. My legs didn't want to run more than 2.5 miles... I think it's because of the fact that I currently suck at hills. Running on the treadmill is so much easier for me, but I gotta get my outdoor miles!

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For me, 5ks are harder than longer events. They start fast and they end fast and the pain seems to last forever. Every time I attempt to break my PR it's like the 5k takes a little of my soul in return. People underestimate the 5k a lot. It feels like a short race but is long enough that it drains you if you start too fast. Inexperienced people have poor notion of how long a km feels and they probably think it will go fast and they will finish until they get tired.

I totally agree. That's the main reason I haven't really ran 5K's yet. My focus is on longer distances right now because I am better at going slower but a lot longer.

Great report!
  • dipsuk
    dipsuk Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say thanks to The Usual Suspects for joining me on my long-run today.

edited for space

I get to 8, and turn towards the car. I can still feel @poppetsmaster and @mobycarp watching me. Around 8.75, @poppetsmaster tries one more time: "C'mon - you can still make it a 10-miler!" "Do you see how much I'm walking instead of running? Shut up!"

Got back to the car, 9.44 miles. He was right, I prob could've/should've done 10. But y'all were there. Thanks.

@9voice9 best run report I have ever read!!!!! I'm dying here, thanks for the much needed laugh
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I pushed it way too hard today. I chopped 2 seconds off my average pace from last week, and this was not a FFLR, just a regular LR. Which begs the question, can a LR also be a tempo run?

Yes, there are threshold long run workouts, but those are usually performed by more experienced runners. When the usual easy paced long runs no longer incur enough stimulus.
    I wouldn't say you are quite there yet.

Here is one example.

http://running.competitor.com/2016/05/training/workout-of-the-week-threshold-long-threshold-tlt_70775

• Stoshew71
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Nice running report.

I heard of butt calling people, but never heard of race calling people. LOL
    I guess your phone wanted to give everyone updates on how well you were doing?

Nice that you got beer and bbq after the race. Always a bonus.

Love the atennae & wings @katharmonic

"Hi everyone! I am late to the game here, but I just got sucked into reading all 11 previous pages of posts in this challenge, and it looks like a very fun and motivating group! I'd love to join you all if it's not too late..." @cljoe7 We are the borg! resistence is futile. Welcome!

@Orphia Interesting shoe tree, and a couple of llamas?

@7lenny7 Glad no more achilles pain
    @Net1968 Nice that you got your daughters to run.

@bradboughner5 Inspiring story despite your hardships. Welcome!

@ceciliaslater Good luck with the surgery.

Sorry about the sinuses @instantmartian

Honored to be with you virtually on your run @9voice9 LOL

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use a nasal spray or anything to help with a constant runny nose while running? It's so annoying!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I tumbled off the wagon and was run over by the rear wheel last month.

@instantmartian This made me laugh! But seriously, I'm sorry you've felt terrible. For the past few years I've had recurring issues with blocked ears (months at a time) and that alone can make you feel horrible.

Blocked ears are never fun! It throws me so off balance and I can't concentrate on a darned thing when my ears are blocked. I cannot even imagine having my ears blocked for more than a week or two at a time. I feel for you! Usually, with a sinus infection, I'm out of running for about five to seven days before I can breathe properly. The fever I could not kick for five days laid me out for a total of almost two weeks, and I was participating in wedding festivities for three days before I got sick, so I wasn't running then, either. I had a mental aversion to running at the beginning of the month, assumingly because of my incredibly crappy race at the start of the month. Interestingly, my crappy race at the start of this month gave me the drive to get back into some serious training routine. It's funny how my brain works, sometimes. Maybe it was the nearly month off of running that gave me my drive back. Who knows. Now, I just need to be able to walk properly before I can really run, again. I don't want to overdo it and injure myself. Hopefully, I can get something in tomorrow afternoon.
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So I've started to use my compression socks when I run. There is a difference and I can run more when I wear them. Is that good or bad?? And does anyone have a favorite running sock they would like to share so i can get some more?? Thanks!!

@moyer566 congratulations!!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, @moyer566! I love the photos!

Does anyone use a nasal spray or anything to help with a constant runny nose while running? It's so annoying!
    I am one of those people that just wipes my nose with my hand or blows my nose into my hand and wipes it on my pants/shorts when I'm running. It's incredibly gross, though long sleeves make it a little less gross, but it gets the job done and offers temporary relief. I had lots of handfuls of snot during my 10K race on Saturday. I would be interested in knowing how others handle the issue, though. I agree - it is super annoying to deal with!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OK, finally able to respond again after a busy weekend! This weekend was "early Father's day weekend" because next weekend is my wife and I's 18th wedding anniversary, and we can't have some other thing getting in the way of that! :smile:

@bradboughner5 - That is an incredible transition you are going through! Looking forward to sharing a running to health journey with you here.

About the impact of training for ultra endurance type events (marathons, ultramarathons, ironman tri's, etc) @7lenny7 @PoppetsMaster @MobyCarp, for me it is a balancing act as @ceciliaslater suggested. My wife and I are different people in many ways and for most observers they have always wondered what the glue was that held us together. We love each other very much though. We irritate each other very much also.

I am like my parents in that my primary drive is somewhat self-centered because this is possibly our one and only life here so there is just one chance to do this. My wife is the kind of person and comes from family who bend over backwards for others, putting others before themselves always. Each of us has tendencies that meet in the middle.

We met in the least "relationship-forming" way and each of us were in a bit of a dark place at the time. Together we crawled out of those places and built a life and family together. During all this I ballooned to heavy weight and being quite unhealthy as I was focused on supporting the family while doing my thing (by working, as a workaholic somewhat).

Once I was forced to choose between working on my health and looking at probably only 10 more years of life at most I started losing weight, which led to walking, and then running. At this point being healthy is a side effect or ingredient to my running habit. The running is what drives me and has become my "thing" now.

My wife is supportive of my running, having seen what it has done for my health, and I think she enjoys having a leaner, more muscular man to boot. :smile: Yet the time I spend as I get into marathon training (and this current 50k training) does irritate her because even though I schedule my runs to happen before she wakes up usually, it still takes time away from "us" as these early runs require an early bedtime. She misses evening time doing things, but honestly, with our situation with our children we are lucky to get out and do a "date" but about once per month, whether I am running or doing anything. It is just how it is no matter what either of us do. But running does take time from my schedule (time I need to stay sane). If running was my job and how I made a living, things might be easier, but now I do both things. :smiley:

I think we'll manage. But it isn't easy and if something ever does split us apart it could very well be triggered by something like time spent running. But that would only be "the straw that broke the camels back" really. It's been quite a ride that we will both see through, but that ride would take a toll on anyone.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 I love the photos! I used to be a wedding florist so I especially liked the flowers. :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 I love the photos! I used to be a wedding florist so I especially liked the flowers. :smile:

since me and a friend did them ourselves, that's great to hear :)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 Great pics!

@instantmartian Good luck getting back into your groove :)

@katharmonic My nose is a faucet the whole time I run if it's below about 55. Also my eyes will be pouring. I haven't tried nasal spray but Benadryl is a big no for me because it dries out my mouth which isn't a good trade-off. I hate to say it, but I just carry Kleenex. Either a small package or stuff them all in my FlipBelt or my pockets if it's jacket weather. I need about 6 tissues for 3-4 miles :-/ All winter/spring I tried to plan my runs around trash cans. LOL I know where all the trash cans are on the trails and plan to dispose of my tissues. It's annoying because I can't just give a good blow and be done with it. There's nothing to "blow". Just drip drip drip. At one point in the spring I bent over to fix my shoelace and my nose literally ran all over my arm and my Garmin. It was disgusting. :s
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    After about three years of running injury free, my luck ran out. I normally run in the early morning either on trails or back country roads, but last Friday I ended up having to run in town in the afternoon. This was a wretched idea on many levels, including the heat, the lack of a breeze, too many people (especially kids) on foot and more pertinently, too many people in vehicles.

As I attempted to cross an intersection in rare obedience to the crossing signal, a car flew around the corner and had to lay on the brakes to avoid propelling me in a direction and at a speed that would have been most uncomfortable for me. I had just enough time spring back towards the sidewalk (although "spring" has a connotation of grace and agility that was sorely lacking in my performance). As I made this move to relative safety, my foot caught on the curb and I pitched forward in full pancake mode.

I had a hand-held in my left hand and when it hit the pavement the force popped the top open and blew tepid water into my face. My right hand, however, rolled awkwardly underneath me, treating me to explosive pops of bright yellow pain. At 58, there is no such thing as an easy fall, so I had to stay in my humiliating prone position to take inventory of further damage and wondering if my ego would ever recover.

I got up as cooly as possible with my dangling limp wrist and cok-eyed sunglasses and tried to walk it off. My wrist was hurting severely enough that I paid very little attention to the slight niggle on the inside of my left knee just below the knee-cap. I went another three miles before it dawned on me that I was more than likely being stupid.

A trip to the ER confirmed no fracture, but a delightfully thorough sprain of the wrist, requiring only anti-inflammatories, narcotics and a brace. Being left-handed, a wounded right wrist is of little consequence.

The knee, however, is proving to be more problematic. I went out on Saturday for a trail run and it hurt like a beotch for the first few yards and then became manageable except for downhills and walking. Any resumption of running after walking repeated the pain sequence. I bailed after 10 miles. I went back out yesterday for a road run and put in 6 before calling it quits... the pain wasn't gigantic when I was running, but I could tell it was affecting my stride. Mostly, I was having moments of dread, paranoia and panic since I have never experienced a knee issue before.

Today is a rest day with an Ace knee strap, ice and Naproxen. I will be a horrifically whiny baby if I end up on the injured reserve list. I have another 50k in four weeks. I will be the complete antithesis to the patient sophistication of @MobyCarp.