I understand and then I don't (scales and weighing and calorie worrying)

Options

Replies

• michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    that's brilliant, i read those 2 posts and was nodding along as I do most of those things. It's usually a masculine trait, do you also keep top 10 lists, movies, music etc?
    LOL, I know, I'm weird for a woman. :smile: I don't usually do top 10 lists, though. I'm not very into music, and with other media I tend to watch or read it just once and then move onto the next thing. I think I have a list on Goodreads of my favorite books of all time, but even then I've only read them once. That must be part of why I love comic books. There's always a next issue. :lol:
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you're losing, then it's not an issue. The problem comes when people are closer to their goal weight, think they are logging accurately, when in reality it's very easy to eat several hundred more calories than they think they are every day which adds up really quickly.

Thanks Jennifer for your reply. I do understand this. I also wonder why people have a "goal weight" and not a 'goal range" That would alleviate some stress? And after awhile at this, I am betting one could monitor things fairly well?

I spoke with my Health Coach today from my Work(one of the perks of where I work) They are very pro-active in helping employees live a healthy lifestyle. He agreed that a goal range was much better than a goal weight. Just food for thought (If you can fit in it your calorie range) :smiley:
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    I find it very strange that you have such a strong opinion about something you seem to not care about.

If I had to guess I'd say that you are worried and bothered by the idea that you may have to start tracking your calories more accurately to continue to lose weight.
    I don't see why you'd find it strange? We are all on this site. A site for healthier living, weight loss, and whatever else people wish to use it for. Are you afraid of strong opinions? Or, if I had to guess, I'd say you're a bit of an antagonist?

I have dropped over 50# in less than 100 days. I have a long way to go, before I have to be "worried" about more accurately tracking calories?
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I've got under 1400 calories per day before exercise. I started out with quite a bit more. I lost loads really fast when I weighed 40lbs more than I do now. Things change drastically as you get smaller, especially if you're female.

I understand that part of it very well..as you lose more weight, your ability to eat at a deficit becomes more difficult.

Appreciate your thoughts! Have a Great Evening Missus Moon!
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I've never weighed or measured foods, and I only log periodically, and have lost about 50 lbs and kept it off for nearly three years. I'm currently in maintenance (after losing the baby weight from my fourth pregnancy), but I seem to still be losing about .25 lbs per week on average (I'm 142 lbs currently). I imagine that will stop eventually. For me, simply sticking to foods that promote satiety is the key (I was never a boredom eater, an emotional eater, or a stress eater, so I didn't have those concerns). Logging (based on eyeballing) shows me that my calories tend to be all over the place (as low as 1200 some days, high as 2500 others) but it all seems to average out.

That said, I found what works for me. Had I ever gotten "stuck" I would have known (thanks to this site) to start weighing and measuring to get a more accurate picture of how much I am eating. As it stands I only have a ball park guess. I think the reason that weighing gets so heavily promoted here is because there are so many "I'm eating X number of calories and still not losing" type posts, where the person is eyeballing, or using imprecise measurements (package labels, measuring cups and spoons) and so only has a ball park guess as to their true consumption. Eyeballing is great, if you are good at it (one of many useless talents I possess, lol). But most people suck at it. And no wonder - portion sizes, package sizes, heck, even plate sizes have all increased dramatically in recent years warping our sense of what a "serving" really is.

Weighing is a useful tool. One that many people use with great success. As you get closer to goal, OP, you may find that you need to use it too.

Thank you very much for your thoughts! I appreciate it very much! Makes a lot of sense to me. As I said, I do have a food scale too..a nice one. I thought I'd need it when I started and realized I don't. That doesn't mean it isn't needed for some people..or that weighing is not necessary. We are all on our own life journey and deal with our own Devils!

I wish you success along the way!5u0bmftm9o2n.jpg
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    To each their own. I had the same mindset as the OP when I first joined MFP. Honestly, I thought the weighers sounded a bit anal-retentive. Where would I find the time to weigh everything? Wouldn't that be a TON of work? I was wrong on all counts.

I'm so glad I started weighing my food. Weighing has not only helped me to lose weight, it helped me to maintain my weight, too.

Like the OP, I tried to estimate and overestimate the number of calories in everything I ate, but I was still underestimating the number of calories in each serving. I was eating an additional 200 to 600 calories a day. That may not sound like much, but it really adds up over time. Just 500 extra calories a day can cause you to gain approx. a pound a week. That slow creep is how I got fat in the first place. It didn't happen overnight.

I view weighing as a lifestyle change. It's something I intend to continue doing long after I reach my goal weight.

AWESOME! I am glad it is working for you and wish you continued success along the way!
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    Great work so far :) you probably have another little while before you might have to use a scale, maybe not! I think you have a great mindset. Worrying doesn't do us any good, anyway. Living a healthy life is much better than worrying.

Thanks and one of the best responses I've read! My wife says I worry too much, and I am working on that one along with the weight! A healthy lifestyle is as mental as it is physical!
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't think it's really so much about something being 3.2 ounces vs 3.5 ounces...at least it wasn't for me. For me it was about logging 4 ounces of chicken because that's what the packaging said was a serving size...when in reality a whole chicken breast is more like 8 ounces so I was eating double. Other calorie dense things like nuts and nut butters, pasta, etc were also an issue for me.

I never weighed every little thing and really never weighed packaged items or made sure my V8 was exactly 11.5 ounces or anything like that...I just weighed certain items which I knew were potential pitfalls...mostly really calorie dense items.

Using a food scale taught me how to better estimate things visually, so I don't use it as much anymore.

Thank you and spot on! I was thinking this when I wrote the post and I'm sure I could have phrased it better..but whatever. At some point..can't you just get rid of the scale? If you have been at this awhile, had success..weighed numerous amounts of food..don't you have a pretty good idea of where you're at and how much food it really is?

Or is it a fear of gaining weight back? A fear of having your success tool taken away? I am just curious and this is a discussion board..and we're all in this for the long haul (I hope..or maybe not?)
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Height 5'6"" starting weight 204 Current weight 170 Ultimate weight 155

Do I weigh my food-never
    Do I log? Often
    Do I keep about under my allotted calories yes
    Is it working for me right now-absolutely
    I am very disciplined about walking most days-or biking or something.
    I weigh myself daily.
    If I plateau then I MAY buy a food scale.

Thank you Meritage! I am glad it's working for you! As I said..I did buy a food scale..just rarely used it. That may change over time.

If you use one..that's all good too..whatever works for YOU.
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    I started so close to my goal, need to stick to my calories to ensure weightloss etc. blah blah blah. Everyone else has said this.

Apart from that very good reason, I love weighing everything because then I KNOW what to expect. When I started, the only reason why I started was because this way I don't have to guess what i'm eating and hope it equals weightloss. I don't have to be that person who skips all the treats, eats only salad and then binges four days later. I was not going to start this just to lose a couple of kilos if it meant being miserable (and then going back to old habits anyway). Basically, I love it because I know how much pizza I can fit into my day and still lose weight. Love me some pizza.

LOL..You got me there! I Love PIZZA and haven't had any since I started! Maybe I should wipe that scale off and order a Pizza tonight! Cheese, Sausage, Mushroom and Onion!!!
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I weigh 108. When I weighed an orange I ate recently, I found it was 40 calories more than what I had initially logged (based on eye-balling the fruit). For my calorie goal, that's a big deal.

Others may have more wiggle room, but when you are dealing with fewer calories, accuracy can be important.

Yes and no. I only had about 14lbs to lose at the end of 2009 and by the time that I joined MFP I had already lost 6 lbs without counting calories. I lost the rest and got to maintenance by just measuring, estimating, and even using some generic entries in this database. I didn't get a food scale until I reached maintenance and that was almost 6 years ago. The only reason to get the scale was to count my macros.

I am now hooked to the scale few times a week. I don't take the scale with me when on vacation, eating out or a friends house; heck I don't even estimate or log when I don't make the meals myself. I am trying to break the scale "umbilical cord."

So it is possible to lose weight and even maintain without a scale, but I agree that it may take more time; so if people don't mind and have good eating habits and are aware of what and how much they are eating, just let it be.

After all we are all special snow flakes...

Gisel..Thank you..I don't want to be tied to a scale or Internet site or app on my phone the rest of my life. I know it is hard to lose weight and then KEEP IT OFF..but at some point..aren't we all wanting to cut the umbilical cord of whatever it is that we're tied to?
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    2hafnk3ptcc1.jpg
    Again..I want to try and reply to everyone..just feel it's a good thing to do. This post was not intended to pick on your choices either..for those of you who seem to have taken offense. Have a Great Night!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I weigh 108. When I weighed an orange I ate recently, I found it was 40 calories more than what I had initially logged (based on eye-balling the fruit). For my calorie goal, that's a big deal.

Others may have more wiggle room, but when you are dealing with fewer calories, accuracy can be important.

Yes and no. I only had about 14lbs to lose at the end of 2009 and by the time that I joined MFP I had already lost 6 lbs without counting calories. I lost the rest and got to maintenance by just measuring, estimating, and even using some generic entries in this database. I didn't get a food scale until I reached maintenance and that was almost 6 years ago. The only reason to get the scale was to count my macros.

I am now hooked to the scale few times a week. I don't take the scale with me when on vacation, eating out or a friends house; heck I don't even estimate or log when I don't make the meals myself. I am trying to break the scale "umbilical cord."

So it is possible to lose weight and even maintain without a scale, but I agree that it may take more time; so if people don't mind and have good eating habits and are aware of what and how much they are eating, just let it be.

After all we are all special snow flakes...

Gisel..Thank you..I don't want to be tied to a scale or Internet site or app on my phone the rest of my life. I know it is hard to lose weight and then KEEP IT OFF..but at some point..aren't we all wanting to cut the umbilical cord of whatever it is that we're tied to?

You keep assuming that everyone must have the same goals, priorities, strengths and weaknesses, and lifestyle you do. I guess I don't understand why you can't understand that that's simply not the case.

I'm glad what you are doing is working for you, best of luck!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    When you have a lot to lose its not necessary to be as vigilent with logging if you are keeping some sort of track on it then all usually goes well - if you are eating less than you previously did, then its a given that you will lose. Its when it gets to the final say 20lbs that's when being really accurate matters. If you stall for a while then you will know you are eating too much and it'll be time to get more serious with accuracy/weighing food etc.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from anxiety and depression for most of my life. For me, having a fairly set daily routine helps tremendously. Getting up at the same time, eating the same foods, going through the same chores, even in the same order. I build in time for work, and time for pleasure, and I do have some variance in what I do (like, I have a set time for, "doing something fun with the kids" or relaxing with whatever hobby sounds good to me that day), and I take breaks or change things up now and then, but if I miss too many days in a row (whether for good, like a holiday, or for bad, like an illness), I start to fall into a funk. To me, a routine is comforting and stabilizing and good."

This is me too (but thankfully without the depression).

I am a naturally obsessive person. I am sure some people would view tracking as an unhealthy behaviour for me, given my personality. But in fact, I find it really helps me manage my anxiety around weight. It gives me an objective, factual perspective on food, which prevents emotional catastrophizing (which would lead to a binge).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    Some people can save money without a budget... maybe they don't like spending money unnecessarily, maybe they make more money than others, maybe they have a second job.

When you have a monetary debt that you want to reduce, you might use a budget. Most people would say this is smart and responsible. Making 'round about' estimates is not enough because money is already tight for some people. They record everything to the cent because they want to be sure, Other people however might just cut back on overall spending, maybe get a second job, or maybe they make more money in the first place so saving would appear easier. However if estimating is not working, and spending is getting out of hand then a tighter budget might be in order. Having a budget is a tool.

Some people can lose weight without weighing food or counting calories... maybe they just don't feel the desire to overeat, maybe they are taller/younger/heavier so they save more calories, maybe they exercise.

When you have a weight problem that you want to reduce, you might count calories and to be sure you might even weigh your food. Some people say this is ridiculous! You don't need that! I do it without counting calories or weighing my food! You should be able to do it too! Some would call any calorie counting silly, they eat 'intuitively', it works for them and so it should work for you too! Some people might be heavier/younger/taller, they may work out or have a very active job that others don't. The gap is wider because of their body composition and lifestyle. These are the first things MFP asks about you and it's for a good reason... height, current weight, age, activity level. MFP are not asking these questions 'just because'. They matter!

I don't know if I will count and weigh my food for the rest of my life but I am not opposed to it and I will not apologise for it! Its simply a tool, that some people use to help them save calories. Tools can be very helpful for some people in all walks of life.

I agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^ You explain it very well.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, OP. I made the decision a long time ago not to weigh my food. I'm a pretty good eyeballer and I can eat a serving and not go back for more. I could easily see weighing and logging becoming an unhealthy obsession with me. Now I just try to eat healthy and hit the gym 5 times a week.

However, that's not to say that weighing doesn't work for other people. It does and they should do it if it works for them. It's just not something I want to do.