Low Carb High Fat

Options
I have always been a low carb skeptic, but mainly because I think ketosis is mainly bad for you...but after not being able to lose weight any other way, and researching the LCHF diet, I made the decision to give it a shot.
I've lost more weight in a week than I did in a month before.
However, I need ideas!
I'd love to see other diaries to get meal ideas.
AND, I'd love to find a way to eat more veggies!
I'm in the "induction phase" at the moment, and I'm already getting a little sick of meat and cheese! Oh...and eggs. I love eggs, but I've had them almost daily.
So ideas and recipes, and FRIENDS, would be great!

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Come on over to the low carb forum - lots of great info and meal ideas!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to being in a calorie deficit. Even if you go low carb, if you are not in a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Elphie, I had been eating 1200-1500 calories a day and was unable to lose weight. I'm eating about the same calories on LCHF, and I've dropped weight. I must have been having issues with sugar.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    tlflag, thank you!!!!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »
    Elphie, I had been eating 1200-1500 calories a day and was unable to lose weight. I'm eating about the same calories on LCHF, and I've dropped weight. I must have been having issues with sugar.

No, you were likely underestimating how much you were eating. Let me guess-you were not weighing your food.
  • shanhen70
    shanhen70 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am on the lo carb diet as well. I need help, what do you do when your craving sugar really bad. Ive been on it for a year and have lost 60+pounds. I have plateaued big time and I am stressing and craving sugar badly. What can I eat to help my sugar cravings. I need to lose 25 more lbs then I've reached my goal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    One thing to note: if you drop carbs from your diet you lose a larger amount of water weight. That's most likely the reason why you lost. This has nothing to do with eating or not eating sugar, but simply with cutting carbs. This is not something that will continue. Again, also with a keto diet you will only lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit. If you've not been weighing ALL your food on a scale you were not in a deficit before.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »
    I have always been a low carb skeptic, but mainly because I think ketosis is mainly bad for you...but after not being able to lose weight any other way, and researching the LCHF diet, I made the decision to give it a shot.
    I've lost more weight in a week than I did in a month before.
    However, I need ideas!
    I'd love to see other diaries to get meal ideas.
    AND, I'd love to find a way to eat more veggies!
    I'm in the "induction phase" at the moment, and I'm already getting a little sick of meat and cheese! Oh...and eggs. I love eggs, but I've had them almost daily.
    So ideas and recipes, and FRIENDS, would be great!

Eat more veggies. Seriously. Roast them, steam them, eat them raw.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    One thing to note: if you drop carbs from your diet you lose a larger amount of water weight. That's most likely the reason why you lost. This has nothing to do with eating or not eating sugar, but simply with cutting carbs. This is not something that will continue. Again, also with a keto diet you will only lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit. If you've not been weighing ALL your food on a scale you were not in a deficit before.

this.

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

this. Lots of ideas on this thread. And yes, eat your veggies. The first week may be water weight as @JodehFoster said, but lots of us have continued to lose on Low Carb diets.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    shanhen70 wrote: »
    I am on the lo carb diet as well. I need help, what do you do when your craving sugar really bad. Ive been on it for a year and have lost 60+pounds. I have plateaued big time and I am stressing and craving sugar badly. What can I eat to help my sugar cravings. I need to lose 25 more lbs then I've reached my goal.

Your diary is not public, so I don't know what you've been eating or how your macros are structured. Sixty lbs in a year is phenomenal! How long have you been "stuck"? What sorts of foods do you typically eat?

You may want to join the low carb forum I linked to above and ask for help there... Very knowledgable group.

• JodehFoster
    edited June 2016
    Options

On the one hand, you are absolutely correct - if he wasn't losing on a higher carb diet, he wasn't in a deficit (clearly, or to quote my nine year old, "duh"). And yes, when you cut carbs, you use up your glycogen stores. Since glycogen is bound in water, you also shed the water weight, which is why so many just starting a LCHF see pretty impressive losses in the first couple of weeks. Weight loss will not continue at such a rapid rate (nor should it). That said, many people find it easier to create and maintain the necessary calorie deficit needed for weight loss when they follow a LCHF diet - the foods you do eat are satiety promoting, meaning you can eat less spontaneously because you aren't as hungry. Obviously this is not universally so (some people don't get improved satiety with LCHF), but for those of us who struggled on a more "balanced" diet, LCHF can be amazing. I always had a very hard time sticking to my calorie goal long enough on a lower fat, higher fiber diet, and hunger would always get the better of me, wiping out my deficits. Switching to LCHF made the hunger go away and I dropped 50 lbs in seven months, no counting, no weighing, no measuring, no logging. Just eating to satiety. If you don't want to do it, great, don't. But it is a perfectly valid option. I think it's kind of juvenile to actively try to discourage someone from trying something different simply because you don't use that approach. But, hey, never change, MFP, never change.

I think you are misreading. Nobody is discouraging anyone here...the first week or two is not magical low carb diet results. What Yirara posted is factual truth and in no way are they suggesting an alternative diet or to avoid low carb, but only to recognize where this "magical' loss came from.

I've been low-carb/keto since '09. I lost over 100# in the first two years. I continue on this path, but do allow myself a slice of pizza or a sandwich if I feel like it. I've kept the weight off & it is pretty easy for me to eat this way.

but yeah...it's not for everyone.
  • tlflag1620
    Options

On the one hand, you are absolutely correct - if he wasn't losing on a higher carb diet, he wasn't in a deficit (clearly, or to quote my nine year old, "duh"). And yes, when you cut carbs, you use up your glycogen stores. Since glycogen is bound in water, you also shed the water weight, which is why so many just starting a LCHF see pretty impressive losses in the first couple of weeks. Weight loss will not continue at such a rapid rate (nor should it). That said, many people find it easier to create and maintain the necessary calorie deficit needed for weight loss when they follow a LCHF diet - the foods you do eat are satiety promoting, meaning you can eat less spontaneously because you aren't as hungry. Obviously this is not universally so (some people don't get improved satiety with LCHF), but for those of us who struggled on a more "balanced" diet, LCHF can be amazing. I always had a very hard time sticking to my calorie goal long enough on a lower fat, higher fiber diet, and hunger would always get the better of me, wiping out my deficits. Switching to LCHF made the hunger go away and I dropped 50 lbs in seven months, no counting, no weighing, no measuring, no logging. Just eating to satiety. If you don't want to do it, great, don't. But it is a perfectly valid option. I think it's kind of juvenile to actively try to discourage someone from trying something different simply because you don't use that approach. But, hey, never change, MFP, never change.

I think you are misreading. Nobody is discouraging anyone here...the first week or two is not magical low carb diet results. What Yirara posted is factual truth and in no way are they suggesting an alternative diet or to avoid low carb, but only to recognize where this "magical' loss came from.

I've been low-carb/keto since '09. I lost over 100# in the first two years. I continue on this path, but do allow myself a slice of pizza or a sandwich if I feel like it. I've kept the weight off & it is pretty easy for me to eat this way.

but yeah...it's not for everyone.

If I misunderstood, I apologize. Seemed to me the op was looking for friends, support, and information about how best to implement his new way of eating. That's why I directed him to a group that will give him precisely that (and, yes, they would also explain that the big losses in the first couple weeks are mainly water and that you still need to be in a deficit if you want some actual fat loss). Perhaps I misunderstood those posts and misinterpreted them as discouraging. If that's the case, again, I do apologize.

• JodehFoster
    Options
    No worries. I know there is a lot of unsolicited, discouraging advice and threads end up completely derailed, when ppl are only looking for simple answers to low carb questions in the main forums. It's actually been a lot milder lately than what I've seen in the past.

I hate to see ppl really wanting to try it out this way & then become completely disheartened & give up after the first month or sooner when things typically slow. I'd rather offer full disclosure from the get-go and keep those on board prepared for these results.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

THIS^^^^
  • JodehFoster
    Options
    this group as well...read, ask questions

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I'm high good carb and losing.
    Lentils, beans, quinoa, barley, brown rice, oatmeal, even plain sweet potatoes, etc.
    Don't fear carbs too much, ok?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Weight loss comes down to being in a calorie deficit. Even if you go low carb, if you are not in a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight.

That is simply not true; but I am not going to argue that with anyone..............if that were the case; I would weigh about 80 pounds instead of 260. I barely eat and I am gaining.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm high good carb and losing.
    Lentils, beans, quinoa, barley, brown rice, oatmeal, even plain sweet potatoes, etc.
    Don't fear carbs too much, ok?

Everyone is different. Great, that works for you. Does not work for EVERYONE.