Low Carb High Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    shanhen70 wrote: »
    I am on the lo carb diet as well. I need help, what do you do when your craving sugar really bad. Ive been on it for a year and have lost 60+pounds. I have plateaued big time and I am stressing and craving sugar badly. What can I eat to help my sugar cravings. I need to lose 25 more lbs then I've reached my goal.

Hi. Up your fat intake to help lose sugar cravings. Also, sugar free jello, pudding, etc may help get you over the hump.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I am on the lo carb diet as well. I need help, what do you do when your craving sugar really bad. Ive been on it for a year and have lost 60+pounds. I have plateaued big time and I am stressing and craving sugar badly. What can I eat to help my sugar cravings. I need to lose 25 more lbs then I've reached my goal.

Hi. Up your fat intake to help lose sugar cravings. Also, sugar free jello, pudding, etc may help get you over the hump.

I'd actually caution against artificially sweetened products (that's why I asked what she was eating - artificial sweeteners cause cravings for some people). Without knowing how long she's been stalled, or what she is eating, it's next to impossible to give advice.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I'd actually caution against artificially sweetened products (that's why I asked what she was eating - artificial sweeteners cause cravings for some people). Without knowing how long she's been stalled, or what she is eating, it's next to impossible to give advice.

I wasn't giving advice............throwing out suggestions is all. If she can't tolerate or doesn't want to do artificial sweetners; then she ignores the suggestions.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I wasn't giving advice............throwing out suggestions is all. If she can't tolerate or doesn't want to do artificial sweetners; then she ignores the suggestions.

Advice/suggestions... same thing. She asked what she can eat to help with sugar cravings. Some people may find AS helpful, others actually find that they are causing the issue in the first place. Obviously she can take or leave any advice/suggestions offered. I just wanted her to know (if she happens to still be reading this thread) that artificially sweetened products can exacerbate sugar cravings in some people. NBD.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

On the one hand, you are absolutely correct - if he wasn't losing on a higher carb diet, he wasn't in a deficit (clearly, or to quote my nine year old, "duh"). And yes, when you cut carbs, you use up your glycogen stores. Since glycogen is bound in water, you also shed the water weight, which is why so many just starting a LCHF see pretty impressive losses in the first couple of weeks. Weight loss will not continue at such a rapid rate (nor should it). That said, many people find it easier to create and maintain the necessary calorie deficit needed for weight loss when they follow a LCHF diet - the foods you do eat are satiety promoting, meaning you can eat less spontaneously because you aren't as hungry. Obviously this is not universally so (some people don't get improved satiety with LCHF), but for those of us who struggled on a more "balanced" diet, LCHF can be amazing. I always had a very hard time sticking to my calorie goal long enough on a lower fat, higher fiber diet, and hunger would always get the better of me, wiping out my deficits. Switching to LCHF made the hunger go away and I dropped 50 lbs in seven months, no counting, no weighing, no measuring, no logging. Just eating to satiety. If you don't want to do it, great, don't. But it is a perfectly valid option. I think it's kind of juvenile to actively try to discourage someone from trying something different simply because you don't use that approach. But, hey, never change, MFP, never change.

I think you are misreading. Nobody is discouraging anyone here...the first week or two is not magical low carb diet results. What Yirara posted is factual truth and in no way are they suggesting an alternative diet or to avoid low carb, but only to recognize where this "magical' loss came from.

I've been low-carb/keto since '09. I lost over 100# in the first two years. I continue on this path, but do allow myself a slice of pizza or a sandwich if I feel like it. I've kept the weight off & it is pretty easy for me to eat this way.

but yeah...it's not for everyone.

If I misunderstood, I apologize. Seemed to me the op was looking for friends, support, and information about how best to implement his new way of eating. That's why I directed him to a group that will give him precisely that (and, yes, they would also explain that the big losses in the first couple weeks are mainly water and that you still need to be in a deficit if you want some actual fat loss). Perhaps I misunderstood those posts and misinterpreted them as discouraging. If that's the case, again, I do apologize.

I can not speak for others, but I was not trying to be discouraging. I was simply trying to avoid some frustration the OP might face if they cut carbs and still don't lose weight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Weight loss comes down to being in a calorie deficit. Even if you go low carb, if you are not in a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight.

That is simply not true; but I am not going to argue that with anyone..............if that were the case; I would weigh about 80 pounds instead of 260. I barely eat and I am gaining.

Just no. Laws of thermodynamics. Unless you have a medical condition, weight loss comes down to calorie deficit.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »
    Elphie, I had been eating 1200-1500 calories a day and was unable to lose weight. I'm eating about the same calories on LCHF, and I've dropped weight. I must have been having issues with sugar.

No, you were likely underestimating how much you were eating. Let me guess-you were not weighing your food.

I was weighing and logging everything. I was pretty OCD about it.
  • Cryren8972
    Options

I've read that when this happens, it may help you kick start your weight loss if you carb up for a couple of days.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to being in a calorie deficit. Even if you go low carb, if you are not in a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight.

That is simply not true; but I am not going to argue that with anyone..............if that were the case; I would weigh about 80 pounds instead of 260. I barely eat and I am gaining.

Just no. Laws of thermodynamics. Unless you have a medical condition, weight loss comes down to calorie deficit.

From what I understand, if you're having trouble with insulin resistance which comes from a lifetime of eating sugars and carbs, that can cause you to have a difficult time losing weight.
    I've been struggling diligently for so long, I've had my thyroid checked, I've had check ups...I even have monthly calls from a health coach. I was TRYING the traditional way. I used to hate hearing about low carb diets.
    As a matter of fact, I preach "Eat lots of fruits and veggies" on a daily basis.
    This is the first time I've lost this kind of weight.
    I know that initially I'm looking at water weight...but why was I retaining over 7 lbs of water to begin with?
    Something was obviously wrong.
    I realize that from time to time, the medical community doesn't always have all of the answers. I consulted my doctor, who expressed the same type of disbelief I'm hearing on here. "You must be eating more than you think...etc".
    I wasn't.
    You can go back to my diary starting Feb 1 of this year to get a good understanding of what I was eating. I've been on MFP off and on for a couple of years.
    I've honestly tried EVERYTHING.
    This is working for my body. So far.
    Keep your fingers crossed for me, because I want this. I'm tired of being overweight.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    The last time I was a normal body weight for my height, I was literally eating 600 calories a day.
    I know that to be accurate, because I can tell you exactly what I had everyday so that I wouldn't gain weight.

Breakfast: one apple 100 calories
    Lunch: Low cal soup and 100 calorie bag of popcorn 210 calories
    Dinner: can of tuna over greens with a little dressing 300 calories.

Seriously...that's what it took before.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    By the way...I'm the woman in the picture. That's my hubby with me. =)