Attacked for an opinion

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I will post my opinion again due to this experience...as it was brutal. I have always been told I am a very kind person and I guess I do not understand why I was being attacked. Anyone have the same experience?

Never! This place is very supportive from what I've experienced.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Literally any internet forum is going to have their share of this. Some people are trolls and will find a way to make everything an argument. Others just feel very strongly about their opinions and maybe are a little rude about it, but even then there are reasons for that. MFP gets a lot of new people hoping to find some quick fix, so those of us who have been around a while try to nip those unrealistic expectations in the bud. Many of us have tried those quick fixes and there's a reason we are now against them. If they worked like people expected everyone would be taking _____ and no one would be fat. You may not have intended to promote a "quick fix" because to you it was simply a helpful tool, but someone new and feeling desperate would take it that way.

The key to the forums is to not take things personally. If it's that upsetting to you but you want to continue to offer advice to others, maybe consider joining a group of people with similar goals and situations. People would likely still disagree with promoting a product but I've found responses in groups can be less harsh than the forums.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Most "products" like detoxes, cleanses, magical weight loss pills, quick fixes, etc are shams...it's really not a matter of opinion...they're bunk...they're modern day snake oil.

My guess is that you weren't in fact attacked but that your opinion of one of these types of products was shot down...because again, it's not really a matter of opinion when it comes to these sham products.

THIS.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I can only safely say...its not about you.

^^^ This

@melltrembley I hear what you are saying and agree that you got very negative responses. I think a lot of people did not bother to "listen" to you. Even on the internet people are composing a response before the originator is finished.

There is a lot of support on MFP, I read it in threads all the time. I usually click out of the supportive threads because I can only take so much sweetness in one day. But there is also lots of lively and heated discussion, which in this case centered on your response. Just blow it off an move on.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    And it's always folks who have just signed up. It's like they have no where in the world to go but MFP to ask for approval on cleanses, herbalife, garcina cambogia, fat burners, etc. And then when you don't approve, they get angry. :s

It also seems like some people are completely new to internet forums. It should be mandatory to spend one month on Reddit before being allowed to post here. (Not really, but I think people would appreciate the MFP forums more if they saw the contrast between here and other places.)

Or babycenter.com and mention the bottle is the only way to go.

You sound like you speak from experience >:)
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    And it's always folks who have just signed up. It's like they have no where in the world to go but MFP to ask for approval on cleanses, herbalife, garcina cambogia, fat burners, etc. And then when you don't approve, they get angry. :s

It also seems like some people are completely new to internet forums. It should be mandatory to spend one month on Reddit before being allowed to post here. (Not really, but I think people would appreciate the MFP forums more if they saw the contrast between here and other places.)

That made me laugh so *kitten* hard!!!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Not tried that one. If I need a bit of light relief, I usually have a look at mumsnet.com - there are some stonking arguments on there. And the baby name threads are hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.