Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• virginislander2
    virginislander2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thursday truths- I am sitting in the parking lot of the gym reading these posts and looking for the motivation to go inside and workout. I will commit to 30 minutes on the treadmill.
  • virginislander2
    virginislander2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kah68 wrote: »
    North Central Texas. What's there? I've spent lots of time in Wichita Falls, San Antonio, and Lubbock. We used to live right on the West Texas/Eastern New Mexico border on the New Mexico side, and the closest big city was Lubbock (also Amarillo, but we didn't like Amarillo as much) so we went there for shopping, or sometimes if we just wanted to eat some Olive Garden haha. When I lived in Tulsa I went to Dallas a lot. But those first three cities are definitely the ones I know the best.

I'm in the Dallas area--I work in Dallas but live in the suburbs about 20 miles northeast of the city.

I'm in Bryan college station, 3 hours from Dallas.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

@toots-- congrats on working toward the adoption of your daughter! Also, a great motivator to lose that 20 lbs. You may not have control over when you will have to travel, but any progress will make the trip that much more comfortable. Regarding the baseball game, I'm really not a baseball fan at all. I find it to be the most boring sport on earth to watch-- even at the ballpark. This yearly faculty trip is pretty much the only time I ever go to a game, and even then most of us spend all of our time in the bar socializing with colleagues we never get to spend time with at work.

Thursday Truth:
    I went to donate blood today and the worker talked me into doing the ALYX double donation. Well, apparently in order to do that, you have to actually step on the scale there rather than just tell them your weight. It was not a fun experience since I had just eaten and drank about a gallon of water so my veins would co-operate. Their scale read exactly 200 lbs--a number I haven't seen on any scale in about 3 years. I know it wasn't my "true" weight and my scale at home still said 195 just this morning, but it still was no fun to see that number. I'm going to use it to motivate me to continue with this lower calorie allowance and more frequent gym visits.

Well, company bonding is worth it too. That's a sobering experience to see a number you broke years ago, but on a positive note, I'd like to thank you so much for giving blood, and a double donation to boot. I'm not sure if you remember this, but one of our sons is dependent on blood transfusions to survive. He is having one on Monday as a matter of fact, and he has one every three weeks and will for the rest of his life. You are literally saving a child like mine every time you sit in that chair, so I would just like to say that you are a hero to the Anderson family!

• tootsanderson
    Options

What's the closest big city?

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

Austin and Houston are equal distance.
  • kah68
    Options
    North Central Texas. What's there? I've spent lots of time in Wichita Falls, San Antonio, and Lubbock. We used to live right on the West Texas/Eastern New Mexico border on the New Mexico side, and the closest big city was Lubbock (also Amarillo, but we didn't like Amarillo as much) so we went there for shopping, or sometimes if we just wanted to eat some Olive Garden haha. When I lived in Tulsa I went to Dallas a lot. But those first three cities are definitely the ones I know the best.

I'm in the Dallas area--I work in Dallas but live in the suburbs about 20 miles northeast of the city.

My boss's daughter will be a freshman at A&M in the Fall.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @toots-- I had forgotten that about your son. It's nice to hear personal stories of those who benefit from donating. I don't remember what got me to the donor center for the first time 20+ years ago, but today was my 70th donation. I also got my mom to start going about 15 years ago, and she's a regular donor now as well. Today was the first time I did ALYX because my iron level is usually too low, but it only took a bit longer than whole blood but saves time overall b/c you wait twice as long to be eligible again.

@virginislander-- I hope you had a great workout!!
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of myself. I went to go and help my sister move out of the dorms and I took her out to a congregations dinner. I knew that we were going out so instead of saying I get a free pass for the day and can eat whatever I want; I had a light lunch, packed extra veggies and made sure I got my 10k steps. At the Resturant we were debating if we were going to have an appetizer and I told her if I was then I would get the healthier dinner option (being at an Italian Resturant that meant no pasta). Well we got an appetizer so I got the pan roasted cauliflower with spaghetti squash in a red sauce and bacon. So the bacon wasn't that healthy but it didn't seem to much fat. And dinner was wonderful. Sadly they did t have the calories on the menu but using the search I found stuff that is close and I'm still below my calories for the day. That's a win in my book. Now the salt may get me...but that's ok. I know that I made amazing choices today!!
  • AlyssaAnne03
    AlyssaAnne03 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Had a decent day today. Walked outside for an hour.
    Weigh in on Sunday, hoping for good numbers.
    My diet has been great, I just wish this process was a lot faster
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Today is going to be a struggle. I'm feeling a massive hormonal sugar craving. I had to use all my willpower to drive past dunkin donuts for the iced coffee, and take myself past all the starbucks iced coffees in walgreens when i had to stop this morning. I'm have a small bag of trail mix with chocolate covered coffee beans, and it's only 80 cal for 1/4 of the bag, i hope it staves off the craving instead of making it worse. It's not even the caffeine, because we have coffee here at the office, it's the sugar sugar sugar.

I'm already thinking of buying a pop at lunch, and i hate it. I hate feeling addicted to sugar. And the worst part is, when i go home tonight, i have to ice 3 dozen sugar cookies for my friend's graduation party tomorrow. I'll be up to my elbows in royal icing.
  • wadwrich
    wadwrich Posts: 42 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Today was the first time in 3 weeks that I ate out. Where I work there are always sales men stopping by in the mornings with breakfast biscuits and then wanting to take us to lunch and things like that. I having been politely declining to go with the group and just eating my lunch in my office. Well today was different. I had to be out of the office with a co-worker for most of the day and we were on the road headed back to the office at lunch time. We were still a good 30-45 minutes away and so he asked where I wanted to eat lunch. I explained to him that I am trying really hard to avoid certain things because I have to lose weight and lower my blood pressure. He was cool with that, but I wasn't going to say "no you can't eat lunch because I'm on a diet". So I told him we could go anywhere that I could get a piece of lean meat that wasn't breaded or fried. There was a fish place just up the road from where we were at, so that is what we settled on. I was good. Water, grilled chicken fingers, 3 tomato slices, and a few pickle chips. But boy was it hard. He was having pulled pork and a baked potato. My meal came with a potato and hush puppies. But I substituted tomatoes for the potato and I just didn't eat the hush puppies. But boy oh boy. Fried catfish and hush puppies is one of my favorites. I stayed strong. Sorry for talking about food in a forum where everyone is trying to change the way the eat and lose weight. I was just kind of proud of myself.

@AlyssaAnne03 I hear ya. It seems like things like your kids growing up or a deadline at work happens so fast, but weight loss FEELS like it happens at a snails pace.
  • tootsanderson
    Options

Austin and Houston are equal distance.

Oh, I see. I've never been to Austin. I've been to Houston a couple of times, but only briefly.

• kah68
    edited June 2016
    Options
    wadwrich wrote: »
    Today was the first time in 3 weeks that I ate out. Where I work there are always sales men stopping by in the mornings with breakfast biscuits and then wanting to take us to lunch and things like that. I having been politely declining to go with the group and just eating my lunch in my office. Well today was different. I had to be out of the office with a co-worker for most of the day and we were on the road headed back to the office at lunch time. We were still a good 30-45 minutes away and so he asked where I wanted to eat lunch. I explained to him that I am trying really hard to avoid certain things because I have to lose weight and lower my blood pressure. He was cool with that, but I wasn't going to say "no you can't eat lunch because I'm on a diet". So I told him we could go anywhere that I could get a piece of lean meat that wasn't breaded or fried. There was a fish place just up the road from where we were at, so that is what we settled on. I was good. Water, grilled chicken fingers, 3 tomato slices, and a few pickle chips. But boy was it hard. He was having pulled pork and a baked potato. My meal came with a potato and hush puppies. But I substituted tomatoes for the potato and I just didn't eat the hush puppies. But boy oh boy. Fried catfish and hush puppies is one of my favorites. I stayed strong. Sorry for talking about food in a forum where everyone is trying to change the way the eat and lose weight. I was just kind of proud of myself.

We often talk about the healthy choices we've made when eating out, remember this is the the place to talk about that stuff. You made excellent choices and should be proud of that. Remember to allow room for the stuff you enjoy on occasion, but if its too hard right now to allow yourself to have it I understand. I'm not sure I could have turned down those hushpuppies! :wink: There's a fish place here that I love, one of their specialties is fried pickles--we always get a basket that the table shares, boy do I :heart: those! I know you're probably talking about regular pickles, but it reminded me of those fried pickles. :yum:

@trinati2001 ~You made excellent choices at the Italian place, too! :star: Bacon isn't all bad every once in a while. Just drink lots of water to help offset the extra sodium you had yesterday.

AFM~Its starting to heat up here, but hope the humidity is such that I can get out on my bike this afternoon after work. Otherwise I'll stop by the gym. Plans this weekend just include more projects around the house (i.e. look for new light cover to replace one in kitchen I broke yesterday :confounded:), some shopping, and meal prep.

• badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    @wadwrich You have every right to be proud of yourself for facing down those hushpuppies, especially when they were already on your plate. It's hard enough not ordering things in the first place, but once you can see and smell them, it takes at least 10x the willpower to say no.

For me, I don't even have all the words for what this week has been like for. I'm not trying to brag, but it's kind of overwhelming.

I don't think I have had a week as active as this one since I spent a week in Japan and walked everywhere. I've run an 8K, and a 5k. I swam 1000-1200m. I kayaked 4 miles, I did the first day of StrongLifts, and I hit my step goal every day. And I don't feel the kind of achy exhausted that I'd expect to feel with that level of effort, especially as I don't eat back as many of my exercise calories as I probably should.

Yesterday, I hit 50 lbs lost in exactly four months. It really, really struck me how much mass that was when I was doing squats with just an empty 45lb bar this morning. And yet, I'm not even quite to my halfway mark. But it's only 5lbs away - maybe the end of June?

And as if all that wasn't enough, after a lifetime of PCOS-induced quiescence, I'm now a middle-aged adult trying to pick up the survival (and laundry) skills most women learn at 12-13. It's been... awkward.

Oy vey.
  • tootsanderson
    Options

There's a fish place here that I love, one of their specialties is fried pickles--we always get a basket that the table shares, boy do I :heart: those! I know you're probably talking about regular pickles, but it reminded me of those fried pickles. :yum:

I LOVE fried pickles!
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My scale says I broke the 220 mark, coming in at 219 this morning, and I'm not going to argue with it! It has taken the better part of two months to drop from 230 to 220 and it has been driving me crazy! Next goal is the 2-0-somethings. Back in January I was hoping to be below 200 by the first day of summer - don't think I'm going to make that one, but I can live with it as long as the numbers keep going down.

I hear you all on the eating out thing. My daughter is here in Maryland for some kind of training and I am going to meet her and her friends for dinner tonight. (Totally worth the 90 minute drive to the crowded DC suburbs!) Usually I plan ahead when I'm going out and research the menu, but since I don't know where we are going, I am going to take a cue from Wadwrich and look for the not fried, not breaded options, and not smothered in cheese.

I have a lot of housework and gardening to do today, so that will help. According to my fitbit, on cleaning/laundry day I can rack up 7000-8000 steps without ever leaving my two bedroom rancher. It seems crazy to me, but I guess walking from one end of the house to the other over and over again adds up. Maybe if I mop the floors I can earn myself an extra cocktail this evening.

Have a great weekend!
  • flabflipper314
    flabflipper314 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    celtikgirl wrote: »
    My scale says I broke the 220 mark, coming in at 219 this morning, and I'm not going to argue with it! It has taken the better part of two months to drop from 230 to 220 and it has been driving me crazy!

That's fantastic you hit 219!!! Yea for you!!!

I know how your feel. It's taken me two years to lose 50 lbs. I've been messing around over the last few months going between 239 and 242. Every time I'd finally get in the 230's I'd get so excited, then I'd gain two pounds. I do have bad circulation in my legs and sometimes retain water there, but I don't think I can use that excuse being that my legs haven't looked bad at all. I have been frustrated enough during this time to eat something I shouldn't or even overeat the healthy food. My dietitian has told me that it hasn't been enough for me to gain 2 pounds of actual fat. So, I keep plugging away. I'm so glad I've found the community part of this site now. It's far more important to me than the tracking of what I eat. I do that on my own.
    Usually I plan ahead when I'm going out and research the menu, but since I don't know where we are going, I am going to take a cue from Wadwrich and look for the not fried, not breaded options, and not smothered in cheese.

That's a good plan. Another thing is to watch the dressings. They sure make a healthy, low-cal salad turn into something almost as bad as a burger. Dressing on the side and dipping each bite lightly in the dressing saves LOTS of calories. You might already know that.
    Maybe if I mop the floors I can earn myself an extra cocktail this evening.

Don't count on mopping the floors as covering the cocktail as far as calories go, but, as my dietitian says, I need to not feel guilty about having a piece of pizza on Mother's Day or something I wouldn't normally have on a special time with family and friends. I am working on learning to take control and not overdo it. Too many of us look at the special time as a license to go hog wild. Not calling you a hog. LOL I know you know all of this. I've found that I need people reminding me of things I already know in this journey. That's why I'm here. Have fun!

• flabflipper314
    Options
    I'm so proud of myself. I went to go and help my sister move out of the dorms and I took her out to a congregations dinner. I knew that we were going out so instead of saying I get a free pass for the day and can eat whatever I want; I had a light lunch, packed extra veggies and made sure I got my 10k steps. At the Resturant we were debating if we were going to have an appetizer and I told her if I was then I would get the healthier dinner option (being at an Italian Resturant that meant no pasta). Well we got an appetizer so I got the pan roasted cauliflower with spaghetti squash in a red sauce and bacon. So the bacon wasn't that healthy but it didn't seem to much fat. And dinner was wonderful. Sadly they did t have the calories on the menu but using the search I found stuff that is close and I'm still below my calories for the day. That's a win in my book. Now the salt may get me...but that's ok. I know that I made amazing choices today!!

Fanatasitc!! I'm very happy for you! Pasta is something I ADORE. I should have been born an Italian. lol I know I don't have totally give it up, but, c'mon, 1/2 Cup to 1 Cup is a serving depending on what plan you are following? I'd rather do without it. It's my nemesis. lol You were strong and you SHOULD BE PROUD!!
  • flabflipper314
    edited June 2016
    Options
    wadwrich wrote:
    But boy oh boy. Fried catfish and hush puppies is one of my favorites. I stayed strong. Sorry for talking about food in a forum where everyone is trying to change the way the eat and lose weight. I was just kind of proud of myself.

You da man!!! That's awesome. I hear ya about it being so hard. I'm not saying that is is for you, but I know that my food thing is an addiction. It's like alcoholics are to stay away from alcohol and places where they can be tempted. We can't very well stay away from food or say, "I'm never going to eat again. I'm not falling off the wagon." I'm not saying the drugs and alcohol are not as hard to kick. I'm saying it's different. Food can silently and slowly rob us of life. Alcohol and drugs are quicker.

But, enough of the downer talk. My point is that you went to a place where you could have really got so many things that were bad for you, but you didn't. You chose to be healthy. You don't have to apologize to me for talking about food. It was essential to tell the story. I feel sure others feel the same way. Good for you!!!
  • flabflipper314
    Options
    Today is going to be a struggle. I'm feeling a massive hormonal sugar craving. I had to use all my willpower to drive past dunkin donuts for the iced coffee, and take myself past all the starbucks iced coffees in walgreens when i had to stop this morning. I'm have a small bag of trail mix with chocolate covered coffee beans, and it's only 80 cal for 1/4 of the bag, i hope it staves off the craving instead of making it worse. It's not even the caffeine, because we have coffee here at the office, it's the sugar sugar sugar.

I'm already thinking of buying a pop at lunch, and i hate it. I hate feeling addicted to sugar. And the worst part is, when i go home tonight, i have to ice 3 dozen sugar cookies for my friend's graduation party tomorrow. I'll be up to my elbows in royal icing.

You can do this! Diet pop isn't the best for us either, but if you have to have pop, have that. As far as icing the cookies, that is tough. I'm not big on super-sweet things and would rather have the cookies plain, but even that is pretty bad. Just a thought for next time something like this comes up. Offer to make something that isn't dessert-y. lol For doing your icing tonight, have a bag of carrots or a couple of apples cored and sliced beside you. Even grapes or watermelon. Yeah, they all have sugar in them and you can overdo on them, but they are at least good for you and wouldn't have nearly the calories as the icing and cookies. It works for me sometimes and doesn't other times. It's worth a try.