June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @MnLittleFinn. Congratulations, and dang! I hate that then the course is short. You're ready for a beast of a PR and the course is short. HHappened to me last March on a would have been super 5k PR by near 10 minutes.

I promised myself to make sure the course was sanctioned and I just didn't assume anymore. But I had one 10k that was short and claimed to be sanctioned. I complained and got my money back. Will not run anymore organized by them.

Sweet runnin' though! Glad the heat didn't get you!

Edit- I'm headed back to the cold springs for 6* miles. Anyone comin'?

*Hoping to pull off 9-10, had Ben and Jerry's last night to top of the glycogen tank. I won't be running anything if I don't get my possum outta bed.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Well, my official summer 5k is in the books. Temperature at gun time was announced at 80° (27°C) and 60% humidity. My plan was to carry a water bottle with me and drink at every walk break since there were 2 water stops and it was making me nervous. I had also planning on running 5 minutes and walking 1 minute intervals because of the heat. It started off good, I was in the second of three waves to start but when it was time to go the actual start/finish line was not well defined. First mile was good, on a good pace, recovering well on the walk break, ended up a little faster than planned. Just past the 1 mile marker, I saw the ambulance go by, thought I better slow down a little and I did, still doing ok. At around a mile and a half the heat hit me and I started getting dizzy so I started taking longer walk breaks and drinking more. At the second mile marker I started seeing people throwing up on the side of the pavement so I gave up my time goals and just wanted to finish without joining them. I have no idea what my intervals became other than run when you can, walk when you get dizzy. I finished healthy and that was my main goal, time wise I was rediculously slow at around 45 minutes. I say around because I wasn't sure where the finish line actually was since it was not clearly defined, I am waiting for the official results. But I had a good time and got a fun medal and now back to running when it is early and cool and starting to add miles.

Date Run Totals
    6/1 - 2 mi - 2 mi
    6/3 - 3 mi - 5 mi
    6/4 - 3 mi - 8 mi
    6/7 - 3 mi - 11 mi
    6/11- 3 mi - 14 mi
    Goal 40 miles

Races :
    6/11 Run and Ride 5K Cedar Point - Done
    7/10 Debbie Hudacko 5 mile
    10/8 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #1
    11/5 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #2
    12/3 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #3
    12/11 Santa Hustle Half Marathon Cedar Point
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @elise4270. I did the math and if I had that extra 0.17 I would have had an official 2 minute PR....really kind of annoyed about it being short but also very happy with how I ran it.

Race was for local hospital by my mom, so even though it was short, I'm glad to give the money to them.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @MNLittleFinn! Sounds like you had a great race! Sorry it was short.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - I know because you're injured and can't really race the 5km you've got coming up soon, but seeing as you're signed up, why not go along anyway? A couple of years ago when I got injured for the first time I did the same with a 10km and got chatting to someone who had only run a 5km before and offered to run with her. She wanted to do it in less than 1 hour 20 minutes, the time she had done in training, and I was able to run that pace even when recovering from being injured. It was nice to go and help someone achieve their goal, even though I couldn't achieve mine. I can't remember what time we ran but it was nearly 1:10 and she was over the moon (my PB must have been about 58mins ish at the time).

@louubelle16 - While the concept of treating a race as an easy training run sounds good, there are behavioral considerations. My history of success at doing this isn't very good. I've tried 3 times, and ended up running faster than planned all 3 times. Got away with it twice, and it bit me big time at Flower City.

Then there's the environment for that 5K on Father's Day. It's a Rochester Runner of the Year race, and it's a big event for my running club. It will be very, very hard to run it and not try to run fast. I still might be able to run it; but I may not know for sure until next Saturday when I see how pacing a long run goes.

@AdrianChr92 - I think the 220 - age thing was put together from looking at deconditioned people. When I first got my Garmin, it told me my maximum heart rate was right around 160, which is 220 minus my age. After it got a few weeks of my heart rate data, Garmin decided my maximum heart rate was 185. I've certainly been in races where my HR went over 160 by more than rounding error.

@MNLittleFinn - That's a good first race. Just about everyone goes out too fast the first time, no matter how much they listen to advice not to. That just seems to be something that most people can't learn without being in a race environment and experiencing a too-fast start first hand. I went out way too fast on my first race, too. Didn't have to walk (no hills), and I ran the full 5K; but I was very glad to get to the finish line. I don't think I could have kept going for 6K that day.

Inaccurate race distances happen sometimes. It's understood that a trail 10K means 10K-ish, but I'd expect a certified road 10K to be closer than what you saw.
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    6/4 -- 1.71miles -- jog/ walk with Pandora the puppy
    6/5-- rest
    6/6-- 1.5 miles -- jog/ walk on the treadmill (asthma flared up - suck)
    6/7--rest--sick with a cold
    6/8--1.71 miles--jog/ walk with Pan (mostly jogging -yay! a bit wheezy but managed to keep going through it)
    6/9--weights & elliptical
    6/10--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill
    6/11--rest day/ dog walking (not counting miles)

Total: 6.92 miles done, 13.08 to go
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25
    6/5 REST DAY
    6/6 8 miles 33
    6/6 4 miles 37 << Daily Double
    6/7 9 miles 46
    6/7 5 miles 51 << Daily Double
    6/8 6.2 miles 57.2
    6/9 9 miles 66.2
    6/10 6.2 miles 72.4
    6/11 18 miles 90.4

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

This morning I decided to go with a group I don't normally run with way on the other side of Huntsville on the other side of the mountains. Over 1300 ft elevation gain.

Here are some pics.

r7o764bg1w1n.jpg

yw3lxzp0dovi.jpg

qvojdw3l2zyo.jpg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 10k @MNLittleFinn! Sorry to hear about the short course though, that sucks *kitten*.

Way to go @kimlight2! That sounds brutal but you managed it well!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – rest day
    6/2 – 6.11 easy
    6/3 – rest day
    6/4 – 7.21 easy with hills
    6/5 – 7.42 easy
    6/6 – rest day
    6/7 – 8.56 easy
    6/8 – rest day
    6/9 – 8.01 easy
    6/10 – rest day
    6/11 – 10.09 with hills and humidity

June total to date – 47.40

Nominal Challenge Goal – 100 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from injury to the point where running feels normal again. Stretch goal, recover to the point where I can run at race pace.

Today's notes – Today is the last Saturday off between training sessions, so I turned of the alarm and slept till 6:14 AM. Took my time about my morning routine, and didn't get out to run till a bit past 9. By then, it was 66° F (19° C) out, with minimal wind and deceptive humidity, maybe 60%. It didn't feel too bad at first, but the humidity got more and more noticeable as I ran. When I checked the thermometer after getting home, it was up to 75° F (24° C).

After Thursday's 8 miles, I had decided I would attempt 10 miles today. Thought about it, and ran a standard 10 mile loop from home that has some interesting hills. After yesterday's rest day, the recovering leg was still a presence; but my conditioning and the humidity got more of my attention for most of the run. The idea was to get 10 miles in, running however I needed to for the recovering leg, and not worrying too much about pace or heart rate. In the humidity, my heart rate was higher than I'd like for an easy run, averaging 139; but my pace turned out to be pretty good for an 8:30 target. 10.09 miles in 1:25:14 came out to an average pace of 8:27, with mile splits of 8:26, 8:21, 8:33, 8:31, 8:33, 8:24, 8:41, 8:34, 8:14, and 8:20. When the watch ticked over 10 miles, I went for a fast finish; Garmin says that tag of 0.09 miles was at a 7:10 pace. That finish was not as fast as I'd like if I were healthy and running in perfect weather; but it's a great result for coming off an injury and having run 10 miles in the humidity.

The fast finish was because Thursday my coach had suggested some very short speed work with good recovery to help activate the blood flow and improve the dull ache in my thigh. Since the leg was still feeling decent at 10 miles, I figured it couldn't hurt that much and might very well help. It wasn't about cardio, and it wasn't about training myself to finish a race fast; it was about trying to manage recovery.

I'm not sure how to think about today's run. Most of the last 5 miles, the thigh was fairly quiet and I felt like I was running close to normally. But the stats show my stride a little shorter and my cadence a little faster than I had been accustomed to, and the left/right balance looks more imbalanced to the left than it had been pre-injury. It also occurs to me that heat makes the thigh feel better, so I'm not sure how much of how good I felt is really being better, and how much is simply running in warmer weather than I did the last couple of times.

Next Saturday it's back to being a pace leader. Right now, I'm not sure I can pace 8:00; but I can certainly pace 8:30. Just have to see whether we have any runners needing an 8:00 pace next session.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • DrewMarcy13
    DrewMarcy13 Posts: 5,819 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I was planning on doing 10-12 miles but got hit by a bicyclist in Central Park after one loop and felt it was probably safer to end my run early.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 3 miles
    6/2 - zip
    6/3 - 5 miles
    6/4 - 5 miles (I did 2 miles of intervals with my friend then walked 2 miles with her) after that I ran 3 miles with Skip so I'm going to count 5 miles
    6/5 - 5 miles
    6/6 - rest
    6/7 - 7 miles
    6/8 - 5 miles another perfect morning to run!
    6/9 - 4 miles loving the weather woohoo!!!
    6/10 - rest day rest day I hate rest days but I need to do a long(est) run tomorrow so it's rest day rest day
    6/11 - 6 miles 80F at start of run almost 90F when we were done...hot hot hot

40 of 100 miles

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Not so comfortable 8 miles with a friend in the mid day heat/humidity today. I probably should have gotten up earlier to beat the heat, and ended up paying for it in the form of a bit of stomach discomfort. Feeling much better now after a shower and cold water.

On the plus side, the weather is supposed to be in the 60s at tomorrow's 7am run.

6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - 8 miles
    6/3 - 13.5 miles
    6/5 - 13.5 miles
    6/6 - 9 miles
    6/7 - 10 miles
    6/9 - 12 miles
    6/10 - 9 miles
    6/11 - 8 miles

Total: 87 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 113 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25

Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited June 2016
    Options
    exercise.png

Hi, My name is Beatrice and I am a stay at home mom to a 3 year old boy. You would think I run enough with him but nope. I am very new to running and exercising in general but so I am trying to stay motivated and on track towards my fitness goals. I have a Fitbit that has kept me on track and keeps me motivated, but I think this running group will help so much more. Any tips for a newbie to the fitness world? Any advice? Thanks!!

For running I would suggest C25K to work your way up slowly and safely. Have fun, enjoy yourself and welcome!

@drewmarcy13 OMG are you okay? Crazy New Yorkers :wink:

@MNlittlefinn hell of a great job!!!! Woohoo!!

@kimlight2 great job in what sounds like miserable conditions

@stoshew71 what street is that?
  • DrewMarcy13
    DrewMarcy13 Posts: 5,819 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom

I'm okay just have a really swollen left knee. Took the bicycle right to the left knee.
  • Net1968
    Net1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1st. 3km
    1st. 6km
    3rd. 3km
    3rd. 4km
    4th. 5km
    6th. 4km
    8th. 4km
    10th. 3km
    11th. 5km (local parkrun)

Total 37km

No double runs this week!

Upcoming races:
    19th Mersey Tunnel 10km
    26th Race for Life 5km
    5th July Hospice Colour Run 5km

Happy running
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom

I'm okay just have a really swollen left knee. Took the bicycle right to the left knee.

@drewmarcy13 glad it wasn't worst. Feel better soon.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---6.01
    4---5.05
    5---5.30
    8---9.01easy
    11---6.74 another heat training run. Was 86-90F (30-32C), and the park had so many poeple, I missed a cool dip.

16---Surgery, dum dum dummmm :worried:

32.11/40+ miles. I updated my goal from 80+ to 40+. *Sigh*. Least there's a fair chance I'll hit it :blush:

Upcoming races:

11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  891.25/ 2016

Hopeful races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Had the best 3 mile run in the rain last night! I wish triple jogging strollers weren't so $$$ or I'd be out today too but alas, it is a strength training night.

exercise.png