June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• tacosticks
    tacosticks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been experiencing back pain while jogging along my route. I wear Nike Free Runs, but I feel the pain is from wearing a backpack that is 10lbs and above most days. There may be a dilemma quickly evolving: drop the backpack while running, or find a different route at a different time where I don't need the bag. Boo.

On the plus side, I'm almost at 10km! Yay!

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @mnlittlefinn - Congrats!

Nice run this morning alone in downtown KC, but I found out today that a bunch of the other people that are here run in the mornings. But they start a little late for me. I need an hour to get ready after a run. I told my daughter and she said "can't you just get ready faster?" hmmm. I don't know. So I am going to try it tomorrow with them and see how it goes and then if I need to leave earlier I will just run about 30 mins on my own and then catch up to them. I suppose since I'm going to be running 7 days in a row I don't need to run 5 every day like I prefer to do at home.
    Anyway, 4.28 miles. It was great but I had trouble finding the hotel even though I was within a block of it. I'm so unobservant of buildings, they just all look the same to me. :blush:

6/1 - 22 miles cycling
    6/2 - 5 miles + strength training
    6/3 -rest and recovery day
    6/4 - 34 miles cycling
    6/5 - 42 miles cycling
    6/6 - rest day - only 4 hours sleep - didn’t think I should
    6/7 - strength training + 1 mile on treadmill (tropical storm rest day)
    6/8 - 5 miles - yay! finally. Even though it was 95% humidity.
    6/9 - 6 miles in the daylight!
    6/10 - travel/rest day
    6/11 - 4.28 miles

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    6 trail miles this morning. I was super slow??? Like 2-3 min per mile slower than 2 weeks ago on the same trail. Can't decide if I walked more or if the heat was an issue. It was 78-82 during the 85 min I was there. I'll have to look at my graphs more closely to figure out if I walked more than I thought.

@ddmom0811 I need an hour also :)

@MNLittleFinn Great race!

Lots of posts so I'll just say awesome running everyone!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    I had hoped to complete my ShePower virtual HM today but the weather did not cooperate. It was unexpectedly cold, drizzly and out right raining - when does So CA get rain in June?? I was looking forward to a cool somewhat drizzly run and it was really enjoyable for the first 4-5 miles but then it really started coming down and blowing right in my face. I love running in the rain but not when I am not prepared for it. Between the rain and the wind I got sooo cold and just decided to head back home :( I had my phone in my running pack (more or less water resistant) but it kept shorting out with Siri popping on over and over at random - it was so irritating! That and the GPS also had an issue stopping and starting randomly. I am sure I went a bit further but regardless it wasn't the 13.1 I was hoping to get in.

Date..........Miles.........Total
    06/01.......0.00..........0.00
    06/02.......4.67..........4.67 + Strength Training
    06/03.......4.69..........9.36
    06/04.......6.50........15.86
    06/05.......3.00........18.86
    06/06.......6.25........25.11 + Agility
    06/07.......0.00........25.11 + Strength Training
    06/08.......0.00........25.11
    06/09.......5.28........30.39 + Rally
    06/10.......6.81........37.20
    06/11.....11.13........48.33

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    06/25/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...........TOTAL
    6/1...................REST.................0.00
    6/2.....................7.00.................7.00
    6/3.....................5.00...............12.00
    6/4...................10.00...............22.00
    6/5.....................6.25...............28.25
    6/6...................REST...............28.25
    6/7.....................3.00...............31.25
    6/8...................REST...............31.25
    6/9.....................3.00...............34.25
    6/10.................REST...............34.25
    6/11...................4.25.............. 38.50

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Great job on the races and long runs.

Back from vacay - had decided on a longish run this morning from the hotel. Scoped it out on MapMyRun, and thought I had a 3.2 mile course, that I could easily double. Got up, and fiddled around until the hotel opened the continental for COFFEEEEEEE. That taken care of (and the requisite bio break brought on by said COFFEEEEE), I headed out, and decided to do a good stretch rather than putting on the knee thingy - it was already starting to warm up for the day, and I didn't want to take the time to go back to my room.

The hotel is on the campus, or at least RIGHT beside the campus for Charleston Southern University, and it appears to be a nice small pretty campus. I headed out, and almost immediately saw a couple of parking lots that I could round-about to pick up some extra mileage, so it was already over 2 miles before I got off the campus proper. I'd seen on MapMyRun that there was a sidewalk along the roadway, and had picked out my turn-around as the entrance to the "water park." I'm be-bopping along, and didn't see the water park. And didn't see it. And still didn't see it. By now, I'm nearing the 4-mile mark, and decide I'll just turn around there, and then reverse my course for an 8-mile run.

Only problem - my calculations said that if I do that, I'm gonna fail to be the wake-up call for SWMBO, and we have a tour setup that requires her to be up around that time. Oh well, I can either shorten the run, or call her. Get to the decision point around the 6-mile mark, and decide, "Screw it. I'm ready to be done. It's hot." Wind up with 6.5 and a good day.

BTW - this is North Charleston. They have a SWEET bike/pedestrian pathway along "University Boulevard" and it's really great. I felt no qualms whatsoever about running way out and back. I intend to send a note to the city fathers to thank them for their foresight.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Doing these little runs every other day is driving me crazy... ran a little over four miles on trails today with a knee brace... awkward and uncomfortable. I can't get myself to just bag the running for a week or two... I keep hoping that each time I go out it will be better. The only thing I felt like I learned today, is that I probably could have forced a lot more miles out of the knee today. But not knowing what the issue really is kinda spooks me...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Doing these little runs every other day is driving me crazy... ran a little over four miles on trails today with a knee brace... awkward and uncomfortable. I can't get myself to just bag the running for a week or two... I keep hoping that each time I go out it will be better. The only thing I felt like I learned today, is that I probably could have forced a lot more miles out of the knee today. But not knowing what the issue really is kinda spooks me...

Been there, done that. Just remember that running 4 miles every other day is better than not running at all, and you *WILL* get better. It won't take forever, it will just feel like it's taking forever.

And don't be ashamed to seek medical advice to determine exactly what the issue is. If you can learn what the issue is, it's easier to work on it.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

@stoshew71 what street is that?

Cecil Ashburn. If you pass Fleet Feet on Carl T Jones, 4 Mile Rd turns into Cecil Ashburn and goes over the mountain and heads right into 431 and Big Cove Greenway where Running of the Bulls is held.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @poppetsmaster Hang in there!

@9voice9 Sounds like a great vacation run.

Upon further reflection, I did count a short warmup walk in my run mileage....carried my water and stopped to drink, waded in the creek twice and splashed in the amazingly chilly water.....and 3 times I tried to run up the big hill and couldn't win the mental battle and walked the rest of the way up. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised I "ran" 14 min miles.

I ran almost 3 miles with wet feet bc my first dip in the creek was at 3.3 of 6 miles. My trail shoes emptied nicely and I forgot they were wet after about a minute. My trail shoes are also still shockingly clean.

I tripped once on a rock but just stumbled and recovered. Whew!

@stoshew71 Forgot to mention earlier, cool pics and great elevation! I only had 400ft for my 6 miles and my glutes were feeling it.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    June goal.....run

6/1 rest
    6/2 3.59
    6/3 dog nursing
    6/4 worked unplanned, unexpected overtime. crap.
    6/5 5.39
    6/6 dog nursing....DH was longingly looking at his weedwhacker. I spelled him to go whack off.
    6/7 5.31
    6/8 3.60
    6/9 3.12
    6/10 gave DH a nursing break
    6/11 8.32

Total 29.33

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: sometime in June or July......when dog needs less nursing
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

exercise.png

• Petrim77
    Petrim77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Can I join in, I have started running recently and would like to try and do 40 miles between now and the end of the month
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Goal 120 km run 120 km bike 12 km swim

4 - 6 km run
    6 - 21.4 km run
    9 - 30.1 km cycling
    10 - 6.1 km run
    11 - 8.2 km run
    12 - 1.1 km swim & 8 km run (TBD)

Totals 49.7 km running 30.1 km cycling 1.1 km swimming

So, I'm embracing the dark side and starting tri training. I'm following a swim-focused olympic plan while keeping my running up (hmm, wonder how that's going to work?!). 2x bike, 3x swim, 4x run, 2x strength/flex/stretch and 1-2 days off. Classic 10% increase per week (volume training) with 3rd week de-load.

The plan I looked at and modified is a 16 week Olympic distance one (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=34) which should be fine to get me to complete a baby Sprint by August 14th (400m/17.5km/4.5km) as a reasonable experience while keeping the running going. Second objective is to be ready for 88km ultra next May.

Training, due to travel and life stuff, will switch a lot week to week - as long as I get the workouts in, I'm good.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @Petrim77 of course, just jump right in!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just did an easy run today since DH got me up early to help him get ready for work and it was cool out. I was really tight so did a long walk warm up and some stretches but couldn't get loosened up. Tomorrow is a rest day so I will spend the day stretching as I can. I looked at times from yesterday's race and everyone was at least 3 minutes slower than previous years so I don't feel as bad, still annoyed, but not as much. Time to start adding mileage and moving forward.

Date Run Totals
    6/1 - 2 mi - 2 mi
    6/3 - 3 mi - 5 mi
    6/4 - 3 mi - 8 mi
    6/7 - 3 mi - 11 mi
    6/11- 3 mi - 14 mi
    6/12- 2 mi - 16mi
    Goal 40 miles

Races :
    6/11 Run and Ride 5K Cedar Point - Done
    7/10 Debbie Hudacko 5 mile
    10/8 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #1
    11/5 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #2
    12/3 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #3
    12/11 Santa Hustle Half Marathon Cedar Point
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @tacosticks - I have found that when I don't have enough arch support, my back gives me more trouble. I splurged on Nike running shoes a year ago (usually wear Asics or Saucony), and that did not have nearly enough support for me. I had terrible knee pain and back pain with them. This isn't necessarily a slam on Nike running shoes (though I won't buy them for running again); it's just a thought about how important the right shoes can be. So - could be the backpack, but might also be the shoes.

On a different note to the group - grr. Why can't I tag people in here all of a sudden? Any thoughts? ETA: apparently I can - it just doesn't autofill the name.

And with that, I think I'll go for a run. xoxo
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Glad I got up early for my group run this morning as there were 6 of us including a father daughter duo who both went down and scraped elbows/knees a few miles apart. At that hour of the morning, the weather mostly cooperated which was a welcome change from yesterday. With the extra mile to/from the group run, I ended up doing 12 miles which was a good way to wrap up the week. One more cooler weather climate run planned for tomorrow morning, then I return back to the Florida summer icky season.

6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - 8 miles
    6/3 - 13.5 miles
    6/5 - 13.5 miles
    6/6 - 9 miles
    6/7 - 10 miles
    6/9 - 12 miles
    6/10 - 9 miles
    6/11 - 8 miles
    6/12 - 12 miles

Total: 99 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 101 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    01/06 4 miles
    07/06 4 miles
    08/06 4 miles
    09/06 4 miles
    12/06 3 miles

exercise.png

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I had my first race today since my surgery and nearly month-long break in training. Sadly, my little guy couldn't run it with me since he has come down with strep throat. :( I think he would have found it challenging anyway, as it was already 80 degrees at 8 am when we started. That, plus swampy humidity and full sun most of the course did not make for a fast race for anybody--eta except for my age group, apparently, lol. I came in just about where I always do: smack dab in the middle. I was 67th out of around 200 overall and 8th in my AG--at 35:18 chip time. Craziness!

ETA: Wowza. I figured it would be *easier* to win as I moved up an age group. Nothing doing! The top three in my age group were faster than the top three in the group below us. And two of the top 3 finishers in the women's category and the second place finisher in the whole race was in my age group at 18:06.

exercise.png