How can some people eat so much junk and gain no weight?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    OODone wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Honestly tho, there are people who have very fast metabolisms and have to eat a lot of calories a day just do they don't lose weight, could this guy be one of them? Probably not and it will probably catch up to him when hes in his 50s.

But even if he is, it has no bearing on the OP's path to weight loss... OP just needs to focus on the things he needs to do to get where he wants to go... everything else is just a distraction, and frankly, isn't helping.

I don't see anything wrong with the OP being concerned about these things. This is a forum. It's specifically here as a place for people to focus on other people.

That makes no sense.

Okay then. Why are you here?

Please don't derail the thread.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Honestly tho, there are people who have very fast metabolisms and have to eat a lot of calories a day just do they don't lose weight, could this guy be one of them? Probably not and it will probably catch up to him when hes in his 50s.

But even if he is, it has no bearing on the OP's path to weight loss... OP just needs to focus on the things he needs to do to get where he wants to go... everything else is just a distraction, and frankly, isn't helping.

I don't see anything wrong with the OP being concerned about these things. This is a forum. It's specifically here as a place for people to focus on other people.

Some people are richer than me - knowing that doesn't help me put money in my bank account. So how does focusing on the one guy that does appears to do nothing yet lives in the biggest house on the street going to help me?

So much this.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member

Some people are richer than me - knowing that doesn't help me put money in my bank account. So how does focusing on the one guy that appears to do nothing yet lives in the biggest house on the street going to help me?

If you knew what the people did, how they got their money, and got an apprenticeship with the company that they own you might get helped.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

There are, but the amount of extra calories they burn is blown way out of proportion and the very few who burn a lot more (apart from people with medical conditions that they definitely should get treatment for, this is not something to be happy about), are, well, very few people. As in only ~2% of the population burns more than 300 calories above the average, and the higher you get, the less people of that kind there are.

https://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »

That makes no sense.

Okay then. Why are you here?

Please don't derail the thread.

Please get over yourself.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    I used to be able to eat as much as I wanted and not gain a pound if I tried. I inherited my mother's naturally fast metabolism. a lot of people are born with that blessing, I've known quite a few over the years.
  • DebSozo
    I used to wonder about people on the MFP boards who would say that they ate 2500 calories a day. But when I look at their diaries they are actually exercising and burning off 900 a day!
  • DebSozo
    I used to be able to eat as much as I wanted and not gain a pound if I tried. I inherited my mother's naturally fast metabolism. a lot of people are born with that blessing, I've known quite a few over the years.

My brother truly has a speedy metabolism. But he has ADHD which is not a great tradeoff.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    This last weekend I have been fascinated with this 10,000 calorie day challenges. So of these vloggers post nearly weekly and it put me into this same mind set. How can they do it and still be skinny (all subjective but they show defined abs and weight in the beginning)? It led me to watch closer. One girl was constantly fidgeting. One guy did like 30,000 calorie day challenge after a few posts of 10k and 20k stuff. He was an avid cyclist and didn't eat until afternoon which makes me guess skipping breakfast was a norm for him. Its crazy what people do with food.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Just curious OP, why are you only eating 1500 cals/day? As a male, this would be the lowest recommended calorie intake, and that would not include any exercise cals, you said you average 15K steps/day and go to the gym 5-6 days/week?

Perhaps instead of worrying about what your colleague eats, you should make sure you are indeed getting enough fuel for your activity level and that your weight loss is not sacrificing lean body mass?

I eat the same amount of calories as OP. It's easy to get good nutrition if you stick to nutritiously dense foods. I'm not sure how much our maintenance calories differ though.

Edit: for better wording.

I'm a 5'2 female who lost 30 lbs eating more than 1500 cals/day.

A 1500 cal target for men is very low, especially if that is your total consumption and then also exercising (which OP says he is).

• ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »

My brother truly has a speedy metabolism. But he has ADHD which is not a great tradeoff.

yeah I have mental health issues that are pretty debilitating. but at least I could always indulge in food to make myself feel better and not have to worry about it lol. it was like the one good thing the universe gave me. I'm hoping my metabolism goes back to what it used to be once I'm off the meds that *kitten* it up.
  • DebSozo
    Just curious OP, why are you only eating 1500 cals/day? As a male, this would be the lowest recommended calorie intake, and that would not include any exercise cals, you said you average 15K steps/day and go to the gym 5-6 days/week?

Perhaps instead of worrying about what your colleague eats, you should make sure you are indeed getting enough fuel for your activity level and that your weight loss is not sacrificing lean body mass?

I eat the same amount of calories as OP. It's easy to get good nutrition if you stick to nutritiously dense foods. I'm not sure how much our maintenance calories differ though.

Edit: for better wording.

I'm a 5'2 female who lost 30 lbs eating more than 1500 cals/day.

A 1500 cal target for men is very low, especially if that is your total consumption and then also exercising (which OP says he is).

Nice! I would love that number for losing! :)