How can some people eat so much junk and gain no weight?

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I think about how much and some of what I've been eating to lose. I know if my past self could see me now, I'd wonder what wondrous pill was invented to let me lose.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I used to be able to eat as much as I wanted and not gain a pound if I tried. I inherited my mother's naturally fast metabolism. a lot of people are born with that blessing, I've known quite a few over the years.

Same with me. Not sure why there are some in this thread that think this is not a thing. My son is just like me when I was his age (20). Not very active, and eats a ridiculous amount, including tons of fast food and junk food. Not an ounce of fat on him. He's 5'9 and weighs 145 lbs.

He lives with me and I know what he eats on a daily basis. And I assure you he's not getting exercise and activity on the down low somehow that I'm not aware of. Some people can burn off more food than others, that's just how it is. I exercise A LOT, and if I ate what he did I would be gaining like crazy.

But I agree it's not good to compare ourselves to others, or use "slow metabolism" as an excuse. Anyone can lose weight with CICO, barring certain medical conditions. But the CO can vary from person to person given the same activity levels.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OODone wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Just curious OP, why are you only eating 1500 cals/day? As a male, this would be the lowest recommended calorie intake, and that would not include any exercise cals, you said you average 15K steps/day and go to the gym 5-6 days/week?

Perhaps instead of worrying about what your colleague eats, you should make sure you are indeed getting enough fuel for your activity level and that your weight loss is not sacrificing lean body mass?

I eat the same amount of calories as OP. It's easy to get good nutrition if you stick to nutritiously dense foods. I'm not sure how much our maintenance calories differ though.

Edit: for better wording.

I'm a 5'2 female who lost 30 lbs eating more than 1500 cals/day.

A 1500 cal target for men is very low, especially if that is your total consumption and then also exercising (which OP says he is).

I agree that it's low and it can be dangerous if one doesn't watch their macros and micros closely.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You're all talking about "fast metabolism" and "fidgeting" or "being active" as if they were different things. A fast metabolism manifests itself through fidgeting and spontaneous activity (also generating excess heat). It's not some magic thing that makes the calories disappear. They get burned the same way you burn yours.

This needs to be more widely understood.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You're all talking about "fast metabolism" and "fidgeting" or "being active" as if they were different things. A fast metabolism manifests itself through fidgeting and spontaneous activity (also generating excess heat). It's not some magic thing that makes the calories disappear. They get burned the same way you burn yours.

The one way the calories CAN disappear, and it's worth mentioning, is through digestive problems. If your gut is not functioning properly, you might not be able to absorb all the energy from your food, and calories are then literally going down the toilet.

I personally wouldn't wish for that. Nor would I wish to be unable to put on fat, or to lose my passion for food. We all have our own challenges. I'll stick with mine.

Yes all calories are burned by some kind of heat generation, but you don't believe people can burn variable amounts of calories given identical activity levels? People can't just have bodies that burn more calories than average? There are lots of processes that burn calories in the body that don't involve movement. Some people will burn more calories than you while sitting perfectly still or sleeping, some less.
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Some people are just built that way. I have a nephew that tried so hard to get into the Marines but they kept rejecting him bc he didn't weigh enough. He would eat and eat to gain weight. Eventually he made the weight requirement... Barely
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Life is not fair.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Some people are just built that way. I have a nephew that tried so hard to get into the Marines but they kept rejecting him bc he didn't weigh enough. He would eat and eat to gain weight. Eventually he made the weight requirement... Barely

I wish I could do a swap with one of those people. I guess everybody has a different body. Or you just see them eating occasionally and assume they eat like that all the time. I know a few smokers who eat like crap but, still are small. Maybe it's a correlation.
  • mdw06077
    mdw06077 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Health aside it doesn't matter what you eat. If you eat below your caloric needs you will lose weight. If you eat above your caloric needs you will gain weight. Period. Health aside it doesn't matter what you eat. I could lose weight eating nothing but cheeseburgers if I counted my calories. And seeing somebody eat junk - in massive amounts - you need to keep in mind their net calories. Sure they eat a lot THAT day but are they eating that much consistently? The numbers do not lie. Net calores are powerful and can skew what you perceive what some bodies diet is.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I did that till age 27 then it stopped. Used to eat an entire box of cereal for breakfast and lost weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda amazed that some people are in complete denial that it might actually be the case for some people.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm kinda amazed that some people are in complete denial that it might actually be the case for some people.

https://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/

One or two standard deviations between people who are the same size, gender, etc. are not really that big -- not anywhere near the narratives we hear of "my friend eats 10 Big Macs and fries a day, and I breathe and gain weight."

Yes, it's *possible* such people exist, but I would wonder if they had a tapeworm in their gut or some other medical thing going on.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Probably sold their souls to the Devil, like Stephen Curry did.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Science. CICO. Deficit=lose weight. Hit TDEE=maintaining. Surplus=you gain weight. Because science.

I might be reading this wrong, but I didn't think they were disputing this. I thought some were thinking certain individuals had high TDEEs.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Science. CICO. Deficit=lose weight. Hit TDEE=maintaining. Surplus=you gain weight. Because science.

I might be reading this wrong, but I didn't think they were disputing this. I thought some were thinking certain individuals had high TDEEs.

It's quite rare though. A lot more rare than most people think. The reason why point this out is that it gets aggravating as a lean person who works out hard and eats within my tdee to have people (usually overweight) always saying how lucky I am to have a good metabolism. Um no, I have a normal metabolism but work my butt off
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

It's quite rare though. A lot more rare than most people think. The reason why point this out is that it gets aggravating as a lean person who works out hard and eats within my tdee to have people (usually overweight) always saying how lucky I am to have a good metabolism. Um no, I have a normal metabolism but work my butt off

I totally get that. I see that happen often. I just didn't think Francl was disputing CICO.