Diet soda

Options
healthy491
healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Do diet sodas make you gain weight or gain fat/reduce muscle? As I drink A LOT of diet pepsi.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    nope
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No they don't. They are 0 calorie.
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    They seem to make me retain water, so I guess it is the sodium.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If You Could Steer Clear Of Sodas, Youd Be Helping Yourself Out Immensely... With That's Said, It About Moderation.. One A Day Shouldn't Hurt You, It When Your Drinking Three, Four, Five A Day That It Might Become A Problem.. Water Is Your Best Friend :)
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Cchioles wrote: »
    If You Could Steer Clear Of Sodas, Youd Be Helping Yourself Out Immensely... With That's Said, It About Moderation.. One A Day Shouldn't Hurt You, It When Your Drinking Three, Four, Five A Day That It Might Become A Problem.. Water Is Your Best Friend :)

I hate water though :/ and why is soda bad ?
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    No, they won't make you gain fat since they are 0 calories. Drinking more water would probably benefit you if you are drinking a lot of soda.
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    They seem to make me retain water, so I guess it is the sodium.

diet pop has very little sodium...drinking one now that has 15mg which it says is 1% of the recommended daily amount...its not the sodium.

It was something, but I was drinking 12+ a day plus eating foods that contained sodium. My dr. recommended me cut back on sodium. I now drink no more than one a day and feel much better. I also watch sodium intake.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »

It's not bad.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

It isn't bad for dieting. There is some back and forth in the medical community about impact of artificial sweeteners with diabetics. I'm not well versed in that area so I won't get into that, and you haven't brought up any health conditions. Generally speaking, drinking water is the ideal way to hydrate yourself and if you can get to a point where you don't hate drinking a lot of it that would likely be good for you. Putting that aside, thousands of pounds have been lost on MFP by fans of diet soda.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options

All of my doctors, dentists and lots of nutritionists say they are not the best choice. Don't know why. They are probably all lying and make things up.
  • AnthonyX150X
    Options

All of my doctors, dentists and lots of nutritionists say they are not the best choice. Don't know why. They are probably all lying and make things up.

They are not the best choice because water is the only liquid the body really needs.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

They are not the best choice because water is the only liquid the body really needs.

But what if you WANT one? And I mean you really, really want one. What then?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Or what about the fact that it is like 95% water or that my drs and RDs have never said to avoid them.
  • AnthonyX150X
    Options
    I'm not saying it is good or bad to have if you want it, I am just saying water will always be the best choice.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Nope it's zero calories. They say somehow it makes you crave more food though if you drink diet pop. Not sure how, something to do with the sweetener Mayb...who knows!
    Doesn't make me crave though
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

The "best" choice? Probably not.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that they are a "bad" choice.