Diet soda

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's neutral though and it's annoying how the anti diet soda people (not you but in general) ignore all science and act like it is a deadly toxin. Like most other things moderation is necessary.

I am not anti anything when it comes to foods and drinks. I think you took my comment as against soda, but I was referring to biggsterjackster's comment about why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists say diet soda is not the best choice simply because it is not. Water, by nature is what our body's need making it the best choice.

Yes, our body needs to be hydrated, but no, you do not have to drink plain water to get there.

You can be hydrated through other drinks, your right, but wouldn't you say plain water is the best choice to be hydrated?

I think it's obvious.... Gatorade is your best choice .... haven't you seen thier commercials?? LOL

Its not far off. I don't like Gatorade due to the amount of sugar, and would prefer a propel. But an electrolyte drink will hydrate you better than plain water. In fact, too much water can dilute electrolytes and cause dehydration. And what is the first thing that a hospital does to combat dehydration.. sodium chloride..
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    It's neutral though and it's annoying how the anti diet soda people (not you but in general) ignore all science and act like it is a deadly toxin. Like most other things moderation is necessary.

I am not anti anything when it comes to foods and drinks. I think you took my comment as against soda, but I was referring to biggsterjackster's comment about why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists say diet soda is not the best choice simply because it is not. Water, by nature is what our body's need making it the best choice.

Yes, our body needs to be hydrated, but no, you do not have to drink plain water to get there.

You can be hydrated through other drinks, your right, but wouldn't you say plain water is the best choice to be hydrated?

I think it's obvious.... Gatorade is your best choice .... haven't you seen thier commercials?? LOL

Its not far off. I don't like Gatorade due to the amount of sugar, and would prefer a propel. But an electrolyte drink will hydrate you better than plain water. In fact, too much water can dilute electrolytes and cause dehydration. And what is the first thing that a hospital does to combat dehydration.. sodium chloride..

G2 has less sugar but still Gatorade. I live on that stuff during bad Crohn's flares
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No, but if you're going to drink that much of something, it may as well be water, right? More beneficial in the long run! I have a Coke Zero probably once a week... nothing wrong with it.

How much is "that much"?

• psuLemon
    edited June 2016
    Options

G2 has less sugar but still Gatorade. I live on that stuff during bad Crohn's flares

I found the balance of sodium, magnesium, and potassium to be weak in the Gatorade products but they are a good backup if necessary. My wife has POTS, which cause easily cause an electrolyte imbalance and induce tachycardia. In working to fix that, we have several better solutions to hydration. NUUN, Emergen-C, and Nutriforce Hydration to have better composition.

BTW, when my wife was dealing with pancreatitis, she frequently used G2

Edited: I read it again and that seemed to come off harsher than I wanted.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    ''might as well drink water'' .. As I said , I hate water and tried many times to get used to drinking water but I just cant.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nuun and/or Skratch are my go to's.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Oh I know. I found the balance of sodium, magnesium, and potassium to be weak in the Gatorade products but they are a good backup if necessary. My wife has POTS, which cause easily cause an electrolyte imbalance and induce tachycardia. In working to fix that, we have several better solutions to hydration. NUUN, Emergen-C, and Nutriforce Hydration to have better composition.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will (hopefully not but probably will) need them in the future. Tachycardia sucks. During flares my serum iron generally hits undetectable and hemoglobin tanks no matter how much iron infusions and blood transfusions I get, those are just temporary quick fixes. When I'm anaemic my rhr is around 120 and rushes at random times. I can't imagine being like that most of the time
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Do diet sodas make you gain weight or gain fat/reduce muscle? As I drink A LOT of diet pepsi.

A can of Diet Pepsi contains about 83% water. If you like the taste, go for it. Just like anything, take it in moderation.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    ''might as well drink water'' .. As I said , I hate water and tried many times to get used to drinking water but I just cant.

Right there with you. I loathe the taste of water and I grew up with some of the best tasting (so I've read) tap water in the entire US. I drink diet soda and water with the flavor enhancers, like Mio. The only time I *ever* can drink plain water without gagging is after exercising where I'm panting and sweating. And like I said before, I've lost over 80lbs since July. It won't inhibit weight loss. You want to drink it, drink it.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a Soft Drink in nearly 2 years.

1) I don't want the unwarranted Calories from the Sugars that are in them.
    2) Diet sodas are Zero to low cal, however the body cannot process the sweeteners in them.
    3) Diet Sodas can trick the body into storing unwanted/unwarranted fat.

Plus there are a number of other side effects of Sugary Drinks and Artificial sweeteners.

I've been drinking Tea, Coffee and Water for the past 2 years. To the point I even put Iced Coffee in my Camelbak when I go cycling.....

You may be correct... I've read lots of research on artificial sweetners and they back up what you say.

Unfortunately much of the research is fairly new and most likely biased... the research is generally funded by the sugar companies and artificial sweetner companies.

Either way MFP'ERS are not interested in this information. (I am though) - the general consensus around here seems to be based on personal experiences, weight loss and of course the almighty CICO.

For myself I air on the side of caution and long term health and will avoid artificial sweetners until proper reputable research proves it yields zero side effects.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Oh I know. I found the balance of sodium, magnesium, and potassium to be weak in the Gatorade products but they are a good backup if necessary. My wife has POTS, which cause easily cause an electrolyte imbalance and induce tachycardia. In working to fix that, we have several better solutions to hydration. NUUN, Emergen-C, and Nutriforce Hydration to have better composition.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will (hopefully not but probably will) need them in the future. Tachycardia sucks. During flares my serum iron generally hits undetectable and hemoglobin tanks no matter how much iron infusions and blood transfusions I get, those are just temporary quick fixes. When I'm anaemic my rhr is around 120 and rushes at random times. I can't imagine being like that most of the time

I hope you don't have any flare ups, that sounds awful. My wifes natural RHR is 100-120 bpm. When tachycardia hits, it's 150-180...
  • justincooper405
    Options

2) Diet sodas are Zero to low cal, however the body cannot process the sweeteners in them.

Plus there are a number of other side effects of Sugary Drinks and Artificial sweeteners.

I've been drinking Tea, Coffee and Water for the past 2 years. To the point I even put Iced Coffee in my Camelbak when I go cycling.....

You may be correct... I've read lots of research on artificial sweetners and they back up what you say.

Unfortunately much of the research is fairly new and most likely biased... the research is generally funded by the sugar companies and artificial sweetner companies.

Either way MFP'ERS are not interested in this information. (I am though) - the general consensus around here seems to be based on personal experiences, weight loss and of course the almighty CICO.

For myself I air on the side of caution and long term health and will avoid artificial sweetners until proper reputable research proves it yields zero side effects.

Artificial sweeteners have been studied to death and the results are opposite what you suggest

That's your interpretation and I don't judge you.
  • psuLemon
    Options

If you want to know more about aspartame in particular, you might enjoy: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Also, CICO is not a diet. It's an oversimplification of an energy balance equation. Resting metabolic rate + Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis + Thermal Effect of Food + Thermal Effect of Activity = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. All diets are based off this.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is my motto. I try to drink water at work and save the Diet Dr. Pepper for when I get home.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Water: no nutrients - just hydration
    Milk: protein, fat, carbs, vitamins - in addition to hydration

So, no.

That's true, but the days I am counting calories, I would rather get them from food.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Milk is food.
  • justincooper405
    Options

If you want to know more about aspartame in particular, you might enjoy: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Also, CICO is not a diet. It's an oversimplification of an energy balance equation. Resting metabolic rate + Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis + Thermal Effect of Food + Thermal Effect of Activity = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. All diets are based off this.

To debate whether artificial sweetners are a healthy alternative or have zero side effects on MFP would prove absolutely pointless.

As I said I spent a lengthy amount of time reading about artificial sweetners.

As for sending links, which is also pointless as people do have the right to do and believe whatever they feel to be true. I could paste 100 links saying sweetners are completely ok to consume and I could paste 100 links to state the opposite.

This topic proves to be very offensive to anyone who believes that artificial sweetners are harmless.

As I said ... for me it's just not worth the risk, and I would never judge anyone for believing the opposite.