Diet soda

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Unless you have certain health conditions/your doctor advises against it, there's nothing to worry about. The ones with cola should probably be used sparingly by women who are prone to getting UTIs as the cola flavor (regular or diet) has been shown to be an irritant. So I do drink diet soda but I choose diet root beer, diet cream soda, or diet mello yello. If you have phenylketonuria, stay away from any that have Equal/aspartame, choose Splenda ones instead. Experiment and see if they bloat you or not.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Another soda thread? Lemme in!!
  • gothchiq
    Options
    *during* a workout I drink only water. no one wants to hear me burping away on the elliptical. :P lmao
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Coke zero is my pre workout :p
  • gothchiq
    Options
    lol! And are you burpy on the machines? I like B vitamin supplements and a protein shake before I get going. And a protein snack immediately afterward. I have blood sugar problems and it will crash in a heartbeat if I don't eat some little thing the moment I leave the gym floor. Soda, I mostly drink at home.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    No but I only lift weights.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    They seem to make me retain water, so I guess it is the sodium.

Less sodium in a drink than in natural foods.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    They seem to make me retain water, so I guess it is the sodium.

diet pop has very little sodium...drinking one now that has 15mg which it says is 1% of the recommended daily amount...its not the sodium.

It was something, but I was drinking 12+ a day plus eating foods that contained sodium. My dr. recommended me cut back on sodium. I now drink no more than one a day and feel much better. I also watch sodium intake.
    So 12 times 40mg of soda and other sodium foods don't validate what the OP was asking. With the little amount of sodium in a diet soda, water retention that you mention isn't really an issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Cchioles wrote: »
    If You Could Steer Clear Of Sodas, Youd Be Helping Yourself Out Immensely... With That's Said, It About Moderation.. One A Day Shouldn't Hurt You, It When Your Drinking Three, Four, Five A Day That It Might Become A Problem.. Water Is Your Best Friend :)

I hate water though :/ and why is soda bad ?

All of my doctors, dentists and lots of nutritionists say they are not the best choice. Don't know why. They are probably all lying and make things up.
    Or just limited in knowledge on actual nutrition. I don't know many doctors or dentists that majored in nutrition. And most nutritionists don't even go to college. They can take an online course and pass an online test to be "certified", unlike a registered dietician.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Cchioles wrote: »
    If You Could Steer Clear Of Sodas, Youd Be Helping Yourself Out Immensely... With That's Said, It About Moderation.. One A Day Shouldn't Hurt You, It When Your Drinking Three, Four, Five A Day That It Might Become A Problem.. Water Is Your Best Friend :)

I hate water though :/ and why is soda bad ?

All of my doctors, dentists and lots of nutritionists say they are not the best choice. Don't know why. They are probably all lying and make things up.

They are not the best choice because water is the only liquid the body really needs.
    So if you only drink/eat what you NEED, that would nix about 95% of all other foods/drinks out there. I've known people like that and they are on the edge of being extremely eccentric.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Or what about the fact that it is like 95% water or that my drs and RDs have never said to avoid them.

95% per serving probably. That 5% of artificial sweeteners add up though, depending on how much diet soda you drink. While your doctors and registered dieticians never said to avoid them, I guarantee they will never recommend them either.
    Link some actual evidence for that. I've been drinking diet soda for over 25+ years and haven't experienced that so called health issues claimed by many a "natural" site.
    How many coroners attribute death to an artificial sweetener?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Don't drink it ... it's a deadly toxin
    Which is why there are millions of deaths attributed to diet soda every year. :D Yes, that was sarcasm.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's neutral though and it's annoying how the anti diet soda people (not you but in general) ignore all science and act like it is a deadly toxin. Like most other things moderation is necessary.

I am not anti anything when it comes to foods and drinks. I think you took my comment as against soda, but I was referring to biggsterjackster's comment about why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists say diet soda is not the best choice simply because it is not. Water, by nature is what our body's need making it the best choice.

Yes, our body needs to be hydrated, but no, you do not have to drink plain water to get there.

You can be hydrated through other drinks, your right, but wouldn't you say plain water is the best choice to be hydrated?
    Doesn't that depend on what you're doing? If you're losing electrolytes out of your body from extreme exercise, does just drinking water trump a drink like Gatorade in this scenario?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    I haven't had a Soft Drink in nearly 2 years.

1) I don't want the unwarranted Calories from the Sugars that are in them.
    Legit
    2) Diet sodas are Zero to low cal, however the body cannot process the sweeteners in them.
    Not legit. Feel free to link peer reviewed study proving that.
    3) Diet Sodas can trick the body into storing unwanted/unwarranted fat.
    Not legit. Feel free to link peer reviewed clinical study proving that.
    Plus there are a number of other side effects of Sugary Drinks and Artificial sweeteners.
    Like what?
    I've been drinking Tea, Coffee and Water for the past 2 years. To the point I even put Iced Coffee in my Camelbak when I go cycling.....
    That's nice, but that doesn't prove your actual points against diet sodas.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I haven't had a Soft Drink in nearly 2 years.

1) I don't want the unwarranted Calories from the Sugars that are in them.
    2) Diet sodas are Zero to low cal, however the body cannot process the sweeteners in them.
    3) Diet Sodas can trick the body into storing unwanted/unwarranted fat.

Plus there are a number of other side effects of Sugary Drinks and Artificial sweeteners.

I've been drinking Tea, Coffee and Water for the past 2 years. To the point I even put Iced Coffee in my Camelbak when I go cycling.....

You may be correct... I've read lots of research on artificial sweetners and they back up what you say.

Unfortunately much of the research is fairly new and most likely biased... the research is generally funded by the sugar companies and artificial sweetner companies.

Either way MFP'ERS are not interested in this information. (I am though) - the general consensus around here seems to be based on personal experiences, weight loss and of course the almighty CICO.

For myself I air on the side of caution and long term health and will avoid artificial sweetners until proper reputable research proves it yields zero side effects.
    They are already out there. Artificial sweeteners are the MOST studied additive since the 40's. And there really is no peer reviewed clinical study (which means it can be scrutinized), that shows that they are harmful to general population who don't have PKU or other health reactions to them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    As for sending links, which is also pointless as people do have the right to do and believe whatever they feel to be true. I could paste 100 links saying sweetners are completely ok to consume and I could paste 100 links to state the opposite
    That isn't how science works. It's how opinion works.

This debate is far from science.... it's unfortunate that it offends or upsets anyone. You do you and I'll do me ...

As for this topic - I'm out
    Actually is not. Opinion isn't science..............it's opinion. Science relies on a collection of observation, testing, etc. The information is out there. Whether you choose to believe it or not doesn't negate it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff, I <3 you! Just so you know lol. And coke zero vanilla. . . just sayin.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Or what about the fact that it is like 95% water or that my drs and RDs have never said to avoid them.

95% per serving probably. That 5% of artificial sweeteners add up though, depending on how much diet soda you drink. While your doctors and registered dieticians never said to avoid them, I guarantee they will never recommend them either.
    Link some actual evidence for that. I've been drinking diet soda for over 25+ years and haven't experienced that so called health issues claimed by many a "natural" site.
    How many coroners attribute death to an artificial sweetener?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Health issues are dependent on how often a person drinks it. You said you been drinking diet soda for over 25+ years, but how often do you drink it?

As for evidence, well...are you looking for health related evidence or death related evidence?

I read an interesting article from the Harvard Health Blog that explains artificial sweeteners and their cause and affect: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's neutral though and it's annoying how the anti diet soda people (not you but in general) ignore all science and act like it is a deadly toxin. Like most other things moderation is necessary.

I am not anti anything when it comes to foods and drinks. I think you took my comment as against soda, but I was referring to biggsterjackster's comment about why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists say diet soda is not the best choice simply because it is not. Water, by nature is what our body's need making it the best choice.

Yes, our body needs to be hydrated, but no, you do not have to drink plain water to get there.

You can be hydrated through other drinks, your right, but wouldn't you say plain water is the best choice to be hydrated?
    Doesn't that depend on what you're doing? If you're losing electrolytes out of your body from extreme exercise, does just drinking water trump a drink like Gatorade in this scenario?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

To each their own when it comes to exercise, but I personally feel more refreshed drinking water after exercise.