Diet soda

Options

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Please don't spew complete and utter erroneous information out at people seeking help.

I am going to disagree with you 1,000%. My wife cannot have any artificial sweeteners because they give her migraines. Which means we legitimately have to read the label of every dang thing we buy to eat, and yes it's annoying and gets old.... The doctor we see told her this is true in many people because out body do not not how to react with artificial sweeteners. They cannot process them and break them down. I heard those words come directly out of her General Practice Doctor. And there are several other Online Sources that state the same fact.

psulemon wrote: »

2 & 3 are utterly false. The sweetners are simply a dipeptide of phenylalanine and aspartate; two naturally occuring amino acids found in a lot of foods.

And diet sodas do not trick your body into storing fat (that is derived from people thinking it's sugar, which in fact, its not sugars, its a sweetner. And sweetner =/= sugar). There is nothing to trick. In fact, they have zero impact.

OP, I drink 50oz or so a day. Have lost and kept off 50lbs for many years (now just working on getting into single digit body fat) and still drink 150oz of water a day.

I'm also going to disagree with based on the fact that Sugars cause the Brain to release Dopamine when you introduce sugar into the blood system. This is why many people appear to be addicted to Sugary Foods. When you trick the brain into assuming you've introduced Sugar into the system, and you've not introduced any Calories into the system the body will harvest those caloric values from other places. You also run into the the mental issues of "We'll I'm drinking a Zero Calorie Drink So i can up-size my fries or order the larger burger."

And just for the record I lost over 100 pounds in roughly 9 months and have kept it off Since.... And i do credit it to those two facts.

And according to This Aspartame isn't found naturally anywhere. It's a combination of two Amino Acids that are fused together. Aspartame, first introduced under the brand NutraSweet, is a synthetic compound made of two amino acids that aren’t found together in nature.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Please don't spew complete and utter erroneous information out at people seeking help.

I am going to disagree with you 1,000%. My wife cannot have any artificial sweeteners because they give her migraines. Which means we legitimately have to read the label of every dang thing we buy to eat, and yes it's annoying and gets old.... The doctor we see told her this is true in many people because out body do not not how to react with artificial sweeteners. They cannot process them and break them down. I heard those words come directly out of her General Practice Doctor. And there are several other Online Sources that state the same fact.

2 & 3 are utterly false. The sweetners are simply a dipeptide of phenylalanine and aspartate; two naturally occuring amino acids found in a lot of foods.

And diet sodas do not trick your body into storing fat (that is derived from people thinking it's sugar, which in fact, its not sugars, its a sweetner. And sweetner =/= sugar). There is nothing to trick. In fact, they have zero impact.

OP, I drink 50oz or so a day. Have lost and kept off 50lbs for many years (now just working on getting into single digit body fat) and still drink 150oz of water a day.

I'm also going to disagree with based on the fact that Sugars cause the Brain to release Dopamine when you introduce sugar into the blood system. This is why many people appear to be addicted to Sugary Foods. When you trick the brain into assuming you've introduced Sugar into the system, and you've not introduced any Calories into the system the body will harvest those caloric values from other places. You also run into the the mental issues of "We'll I'm drinking a Zero Calorie Drink So i can up-size my fries or order the larger burger."

Yes, they cause some people migraines. As some are allergic to peanuts, or some are diabetic... So?

Anything that is pleasurable releases dopamine into the brain...Petting puppies for example.

I lost 80lb in 8 months and am currently 170lbs of lean mass with a 7% body fat percentage while drinking diet soda regularly (Everyday). Does my n1 negate your n1?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

And just for the record I lost over 100 pounds in roughly 9 months and have kept it off Since.... And i do credit it to those two facts.

And according to This Aspartame isn't found naturally anywhere. It's a combination of two Amino Acids that are fused together. Aspartame, first introduced under the brand NutraSweet, is a synthetic compound made of two amino acids that aren’t found together in nature.

I notice you skipped over/ignored my previous post. Here, let me repost a sentence from that for you.
    As long as you don't have a medical condition that your doctor thinks may be affected by artificial sweeteners, drink it if you want to.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    As for sending links, which is also pointless as people do have the right to do and believe whatever they feel to be true. I could paste 100 links saying sweetners are completely ok to consume and I could paste 100 links to state the opposite
    That isn't how science works. It's how opinion works.

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I drink at least one 16 oz coke zero a day, sometimes two. I've lost 160+lbs and still going ... the coke zero or other diet pop has had no bearing on me losing weight, and all of my health/bloodwork stuff has been rock solid.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you choose a high calorie meal just because you are drinking no calories switching to water won't help that mentality at all
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As for sending links, which is also pointless as people do have the right to do and believe whatever they feel to be true. I could paste 100 links saying sweetners are completely ok to consume and I could paste 100 links to state the opposite

This debate is far from science.... it's unfortunate that it offends or upsets anyone. You do you and I'll do me ...

As for this topic - I'm out
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    They seem to make me retain water, so I guess it is the sodium.

diet pop has very little sodium...drinking one now that has 15mg which it says is 1% of the recommended daily amount...its not the sodium.

It was something, but I was drinking 12+ a day plus eating foods that contained sodium. My dr. recommended me cut back on sodium. I now drink no more than one a day and feel much better. I also watch sodium intake.

How did you come to the conclusion that diet soda was the cause of that? It's amazing the things people try to blame things on.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Do diet sodas make you gain weight or gain fat/reduce muscle? As I drink A LOT of diet pepsi.

Just curious OP, as to why you think this might be the case? Diet soda has less than 10 calories. How could it make you gain weight/gain fat/reduce muscle? Since you are already drinking diet pepsi, you wouldn't likely see any impact from continued consumption, but for people who are drinking calorific beverages then switching to diet soda can make a big difference in HELPING weight loss, as long as you aren't replacing those calories elsewhere.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If I drink water and afterwards chug a shotglass of syrup it's drinking water, if I mix the two, the water stops being water?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Syrup shots? Challenge accepted.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »

Aspartame does not stimulate any mechanisms to store fat. It doesnt stimulate lipogenesis or active any fat storing enzyme (insulin, ASP or GID), nor does it supress HSL. So how could you gain fat by drinking diet soda?

And any hyperpalabtable food would cause reactions in dopamine. Pretty much means people just like food.

Either way, there is nothing wrong with drinking diet soda or not drinking it. Its all personal preference. Its been around since the 50s and there is still no human evidence that its bad, outside a small percentage of people have reactions to it causing headaches. And tjose reactions would be far less than reactions from things like nuts, seafood, and etc..
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Aspartame does not stimulate any mechanisms to store fat. It doesnt stimulate lipogenesis or active any fat storing enzyme (insulin, ASP or GID), nor does it supress HSL. So how could you gain fat by drinking diet soda?

And any hyperpalabtable food would cause reactions in dopamine. Pretty much means people just like food.

Either way, there is nothing wrong with drinking diet soda or not drinking it. Its all personal preference. Its been around since the 50s and there is still no human evidence that its bad, outside a small percentage of people have reactions to it causing headaches. And tjose reactions would be far less than reactions from things like nuts, seafood, and etc..

And add to that that studies on people who identify as getting those reactions turn up no difference to placebos...
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2016
    Options

And add to that that studies on people who identify as getting those reactions turn up no difference to placebos...

Even so, it wouldnt put it pass me that some people are effected. Heck i know people who are allergic to the weirdest things like strawberries, red meat, and for me (oysters, mussels, clams and scallops but not other allegies).
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Muscles. Lol
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

This debate is far from science.... it's unfortunate that it offends or upsets anyone. You do you and I'll do me ...

As for this topic - I'm out
    You're completely disagreeing with scientific evidence, though. Some have showed you the evidence, but you chose to ignore it, that's all.

• psuLemon
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Muscles. Lol

Damn autocorrect :#