WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Becca – I am so sorry the surgery was not successful, but I am glad to hear that your hubby is less jaundice and no longer itchy. At least, that is some progress. Prayers will continue to be sent your way. You are such a strong woman and so supportive of your husband and entire family. Don’t worry about the scale right now, but also don’t forget to take care of yourself. Remember, it is not selfish to take care of yourself because it makes you stronger and enables you to take better care of those you love.

Kelly – You have made me think. So many people tend to be all talk and no action, but you are taking the initiative to start doing something. I am so proud of you and you have inspired me to see if there is any way to take some small action within my community as well.

Carey – Congrats on being smoke-free for two years!

Welcome to all the newcomers to this group!

Last night for my birthday, my daughter and hubby took me for a pedicure and then out to a nice dinner. Yes, even hubby got a pedicure. It was his first and I think he enjoyed it. And, he sure did need it ‘cause his feet are UGLY! You should have seen all that dead skin they buffed off – OK, TMI… They had also planned a movie, but dinner was not done until 8:30 and I just can’t stay up for a late movie on a work night anymore. So, we will wait and go to a movie when my younger daughter is home this weekend.

Speaking of my younger daughter… her choir director posted an update on their trip on Facebook last night that brought me to tears. Yesterday, they sang at a senior citizen center which is something they do every year on their choir trips. After they sing, they usually spend some time getting to know the residents. It is usually a highlight of the trip. I’m going to type the director’s update here verbatim because I don’t think I could say it better.
    “We left Colorado Springs today to head up to YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park, but not before singing at a care facility. It is always a moving experience but after our concert today, the director came up to me and told me that a patient named Donna was actively dying and that she had been unresponsive, yet when she hears us sing, she smiled. Her family asked if a handful of kids could come down and sing to her. So I quickly grabbed 10 kids and we went in and sang “Be Still” a Capella. She turned her head to us, gazed at us and after a moment she closed her eyes. We helped Donna on her journey home today and we were changed. And all were in tears.”

OK, teared up again just typing that. Love you all.
    Linda/IA
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Michelle's summer cold has arrived in WA - sniffle sniffle drip auchooo!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi, I've been on mfp for several years. I managed to lose 85 pounds and keep it off for 3 years. Unfortunately I had some major set backs and gained the weight back. I'm trying to get motivated to just begin again. I hate that I gained the weight and feel like a failure. I need to learn to forgive myself and accept that I fell down and need to get back up. I am going to redo my profile to fit where I'm at now and begin using mfp as I did before. I'm so glad to see that there's an over 50's group in here. Thank you in advance for your support.

Isabel in AZ

Welcome, Isabel. You are in good company here, a lot of us have lost and gained numerous times. It gets discouraging but the good news is, with help and support and moving towards a healthy "lifestyle" not a diet, you can do this. I tell everyone I have lost 1500# in my life time. I have now been down 125# for over 2 1/2 years thanks to the wonderful support of this group and logging all my food and upping my exercise and general activity. Again, glad to have you join us.

Janetr OKC
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    SSC1958 wrote: »
    Good morning friends,

Today I'm celebrating 2 years smoke-free. I never thought I'd be able to say that. :blush:

Hope everyone has a wonderful, successful day.

Carey-N Alberta

What a great achievement!
    CJ
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Spitfire.....I know how upsetting gaining back weight is. I lost 200lbs (not a typo) 15 years ago and have kept it off with the exception of 30lbs I yoyo back and forth with. Right now I am at my panick weight of 30lbs up. When I get to that point I get so upset with myself and lose confidence. But you know what? We can turn this around anytime we choose! And I don't know about you but I choose NOW!!!! In the last 15 years I haven't let myself get past 30lbs. Truthfully that is my cut off point. At that point I realize it is time to stop messing around and take this serious, and now that I am over 50 it is time to stop the yo Yoing! Not healthy and I realize it is no longer just a vanity thing. So dust yourself off and Know you can do this!!!!! What's done is done. Hard to move forward if we are still looking backwards.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    W
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)<3o:)>:)B)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends,

Today I'm celebrating 2 years smoke-free. I never thought I'd be able to say that. :blush:

Carey-N Alberta

Congratulations, Carey! My DH quit about seven years ago. He has continued to get the same allowance as he did in his smoking days. He opened a separate savings account where he deposits all that he does not spend. He made a deposit last week and is a little less than $100 shy of $15,000. And he has taken money out a time or two to buy me gifts.

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Carey ~ Congrats to you for quitting smoking. I have read that it is more difficult than quitting things like cocain and heroin. My DH had to quit several years ago when he suffered a heart attack and had 4 stents put in.

Kay ~ Your DH saving his money is great! I have cut way way back on my wine drinking and think of the money I am saving.

Barbie ~ There are so many of us who hate driving through cities and on the express way. You are in good company. I must say that since I have been driving through Atlanta over the past two yrs on a regular basis it has gotten easier. I have learned exactly which lane to get in. My biggest fear is when you have to move over 3 or 4 lanes to be in the correct lane for where you are going.

So sad about the toddler at the theme park in Orlando. I cannot imagine what those parents are going through.

Carol
  • laoighse
    laoighse Posts: 22 Member
    Options

@laoighse Lawdy, girl, you have your hands and your heart full. What shall we call you?

Karen in Virginia[/quote]

Karen- I think her name is Gaelic. Pronounced Lee-sha? Is this right Laoighse? Very pretty and I recognized the origin; but to be honest I had to look up

Yes, it's an Irish name, I am Irish and the pronounciation Lee-sha is about right. You can call me Laoighse or Louise which is used as the English translation. Hands full, yup. But what you gonna do eh?
    What a lovely chatty bunch you all are, I will start to recognise people soon I hope. I have not figured out how not to include my reply in the quote. I'm faffing round on my phone as the iPad is sulking. I will try to work through the various faqs, once school ends. It is currently like Christmas at the North Pole and I barely have time to look after my food.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I have been very busy trying to finish up the remodeling of our cabin. We are going to have guests this weekend for Moondance Jammin Country! I finished getting the grout haze off of all of the tiles, the plumber was here and we rearrange the hot water heater and the kitchen sink area, it's all painted, I put together a futon, ran and picked up a used oak pedestal table and crosscut back chairs and I think we are just about done with the main living area. We will be putting new floor molding in but not until next week since my husband likes to rotor it himself so I will be staining and varnishing that. Then I will just be looking for decorative accessories which is always the fun job.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Joyce, Indiana~ Well with this bile bag, you never change the bag persay, you just unscrew it (holding it upwards) turn the spigot downwards (for us into a measuring container) then tighten it back up. The only wound care is the skin around the adhesive pads, and I figure we won't be changing them every day, if we use the waterproof adhesive pads over the dressing. I just hope we don't have to do this the whole two weeks.
    Becca
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Laoighse wrote: It is currently like Christmas at the North Pole and I barely have time to look after my food.
    Laoighse, acushla - Speaking as someone who lives at North Pole (give or take a few kilometers), I wonder what the problem is. ;) Santa does most of his work well ahead of time and by mid-December we can all kick back and enjoy the calm of the 24-hour darkness. For us, Christmas is a wonderfully restful time of year.

Seriously, though, I'd like to bid you a special welcome! I'm glad for each and every person on this thread who is in a European time zone and might post something in the witching hours between when the Pacific Northwesterners have hit the sack, and the ladies on the US Eastern Seaboard start to stir. Allie has a special place in my heart :heart: for her early morning posts, though I must admit I'm somewhat appalled that she often gets up at the same time as I do, even though I'm six time zones ahead of her... :noway:
    Lisa wrote, on page 36: Penny... [...] I've always been a proponent of the "perception is reality" school of thought. [...] I'm taking my thinking cap off now--but it gives me an idea for my next article.
    I totally agree! How you interpret the things you perceive will be strongly affected by who you are, what you've experienced previously, how much you understand, what you've been taught to expect, and all kinds of other things. Maybe even the state of your digestive tract! My husband, who gives lots of lectures, often says that if he has lectured for 100 people, there will be at least 101 different perceptions of what he has said and what it means.

Anyway, Lisa, I'm glad to hear that you got an idea for your next article. When you've finished it, please post a link - or at least send it to me as a private message. I'd be interested to see where you took this line of thought. :)

I drove out to our island place north of Tromsø today and will be here for the next week. While I was waiting for the ferry, it was so wonderful to gaze into the clear water on the shores of the Barents Sea...
    duqxu0ajvt6e.jpg

The water in Svalbard is relatively clean, but it isn't at all clear because of the runoff water from glaciers, which is full of ground stone and looks as muddy as the Mississippi River!

The seeds I sowed in my garden here a few weeks ago and left in God's care have sprouted and flourished. The radishes are almost ready to harvest, and I'll get enough from thinning out the lettuce and cabbage rows to make myself a couple salads.

/Penny, currently not at the North Pole
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    OK everyone, I attended the TOPS meeting, but also ate breakfast beforehand. I knew I was going to not be a loser, and not eating just makes me HANGRY... (hungry and angry)...so for the 4 weeks I have been absent, I gained 5.2 lbs. I shall not worry about this. When things settle down a wee bit more, I will cook like my normal self, but now, I shall not mentally beat myself up about it. I did get some b'day cards from them so that was nice. I have decided to just not celebrate it. It's a normal day, so nothing really special planned. After I have a couple of potstickers I have cooking, I will need to go do laundry. Maybe fix steak for husband and son tonight.
    (((hugs)))) to all of you that are doing great!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Becca my dear, all shall be well and all shall be well and all shall be very well indeed! :heart:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Carey – so happy to hear of your anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lenora – interesting about Boy/Girl Scouts in your area… as they are all over here…

Dawn – nice looking family and what a special event.. graduations are such exciting bittersweet moments.. So I am wondering why with kids the ages of yours you are doing food shoping teaching to do chores like feeding the dog, taking care of the pool…. Those seem to me to be the “costs” of living with you.

Becca – so today is your birthday??????????????? If so happy happy happy birthday

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation, visiting with Vickie, working in Eden garden,
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    X
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Linda, that was so touching. Singing does so much for the soul and in this instance it gave her enough peace it allowed her to heart to follow what her body had been doing.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Becca OR Happy birthday, baby sister. And it most certainly is a special day. Great big (((hugs))) <3

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends,

Carey-N Alberta

Congratulations...that is an awesome accomplishment t2002.gif