WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm excited for Penny and Heather!

Alison - I know everyone has already said it, but you should have access to your bank accounts and know exactly where all of the money is going. My ex kept me in the dark for most of the years we were married and heaven only knows how much he had stashed away when he left--leaving me with nothing. I also got an allowance like a child.

I've kept up with the reading but haven't really posted. I need to spend some time in my head this weekend to try and figure out why my self-care has become almost non-existent. Although this is time of year that depression usually hits, I don't feel particularly depressed. In some ways I'm really excited because I have my house back to myself again for two months, but I can't seem to shake off the lethargy. I would love to do some of this thinking outdoors, preferably walking, but it is supposed to be near 100 degrees. I hope this is not a sign of the way the summer temps will be!

I spent some time working with a co-worker at the end of my workday yesterday to teach him how to use Microsoft Publisher. He was easy to teach and complimented me several times on what a great teacher I am. It really made me miss my days of teaching basic computer classes at the local community college. It also was a boots to my self-esteem which has taken a beating lately.

Off to get some work done (and to take a walk around the building)!

:heart: Carol in NC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Barbie ~ Thinking of you today! You are a very kind and caring person. Enjoy the day with your teacher.

Becca ~ We are all waiting and hoping for good news about your DH.

Penny & Heather ~ How exciting for the two of you to meet. Know you will enjoy each other's company so much.

Allison ~ I have been married 37 yrs and we have almost always maintained separate bank accounts. I have bills that I pay and he has bill that he pays. I feel like I have worked very hard all these years and the money I have earned is mine to use and he has the same option. But, must admit that we are very frugal and we are saving for our "old" age. LOL

Also, you are not responsible for the way your DD and her family are acting about the housing situation. I feel sorry for your dad having to put up with them. May I ask, why did you need two refrigerators? Are there two kitchens? Just being nosy.

Carik
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Carol not Carik
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I heard back fron Chris in MA. She is busy with the new job. She asked me to pass this along "Please tell everyone that I'm trying to keep up with all of you and you're all in my heart, even though I have no time to post."

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Eye exam today. This is no longer covered by my medical insurance, so it is "on me." Luckily I can afford it. DH and I have medicare plus supplemental insurance, but the policy doesn't cover routine eye exams for me due to Medicare rules. It covers him because he is diabetic. I wonder if I need to look at a Medicare advantage plan. Generally my health coverage is excellent, so I'll think about it and talk to my retirement system people to learn more. :huh:

I'm thinking about Heather and Penney, today. I hope they have a great time together. I'm also thinking about Becca and her DH. I hope things went very well for them at OHSU yesterday. :heart:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Katla, my insurance only covers an eye exam every two years. DH, who has the same insurance is covered every time because he has glaucoma. He goes every three months to monitor his pressure. I am patiently waiting until August when my two years are up. My rescription seems to change every time I go.

I went back to exercise class today after three days away. Boy, could I tell it. I'm glad I went, but I'm also glad it's over.
  • Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    ...my liver enzymes were through the roof 9 months ago. I was actually told a couple of years ago that I had fatty liver, but the doc never told me that it was serious, so fast forward to last august and it has now become cirrhosis and I better do something now. I changed my diet completely....no fat, sugar, or pretty much red meat either, because the liver has to work too hard to digest it and started excersising. It is reversing its self slowly. The horrendous pain is gone and Im not exhausted all the time. The worst symptom was the foggy brain. I really thought I was developing alzheimers, but it is because your body is slowly being choked to death by fat. I finally feel like Im thinking clearly again. Also stay away from sugar because fatty liver make you more susceptible to diabetes. You can turn this around, but it can become dangerous if you ignore it for too long. I was not a drinker so mine was caused strictly because of bad eating habits and being a sloth for most of my life. Its tough to change everything about your life at once, but the alternative was a liver transplant or death. Not much of a choice. Good luck to you and just remember it can be reversed ...

Paulina , Addy Washington.

Paulina Welcome!

To clarify my comments on fatty liver; Paulina is absolutely right, severe fatty liver can lead to cirrhosis (scarring of the liver), which is usually irreversible, although fatty liver itself is reversible. And even people who develop cirrhosis (scarring of the liver) often make new liver cells, the liver being a pretty amazing organ with a lot of capacity for regeneration. My comments were in reference to mild elevation of liver enzymes, the most common manifestation of fatty liver, not a dangerous condition, and totally reversible with fat loss. Mild fatty liver is more of a "wake up" call to do something before more serious problems develop. Sorry if my comments in any way minimized the potential dangers of severe fatty liver disease, a much more serious condition.

Karen in Virginia

Karen thanks for the welcome. I just felt I had to share my story. My first doctor 2 yrs ago casually mentioned, "oh you also have a fatty liver", but never, ever told me how serious it could get or how I could do something to reverse it. He made it sound like it was no big deal. I really never thought about it again till last August when I ended up in the ER doubled over in pain with a softball sized lump where my gallbladder meets the liver. Fortunately for me I work in a medical clinic and one of my favorite doctors took over my care. He had a very honest discussion with me about where I was headed. He made it clear that I may be too far gone for my liver to recover, but if I didnt make changes it would be a for sure bet that I would probably need a transplant in the future or die in a very painful way. In that meeting he told me that I would have to change everything...absolutely everything. What I ate, what I drank, my weight, my fitness, how I thought about food.....everything!!! I decided then and there that I would do everything he told me to do and I would give it my all....Im not ready to die yet. I have managed to lose 80+ pounds and I am now working out almost everyday. I have found out that I am pretty athletic...yay!!! Best of all my liver is better. That softball is still there, but not as hard and does not hurt as much...I have good days and bad, but I can pinpoint the bad days to something I probably ate that my body didn't like. Im learning to listen to my body now. I just feel that if someone is diagnosed with fatty liver the doctors need to be clearer on what the ramifications can be if they do not take care of it. It does not go away if you do not change the circumstances that caused it. I know theres a possibility that Im too late, but so far the results have been positive and Im ever hopeful that what Im doing will be enough.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing

Goblet squat-3X7X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-16 X7X 35

Walk 1000 Miles Challenge

5.5 miles

It's amazing how much heavier 5 pounds feels when you swing it. Week one of transitioning from the 30 pound kettle bell complete!

We are getting our cabin ready for the summer. I tiled the floor last weekend. I am going to paint today, then I will be grouting the floor tomorrow. I can't wait until it is done! If any of you are ever up this way you have a place to stay!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Cracker is going to the groomer either this weekend or next. Haven’t decided yet. She had to have a toenail removed … now about 3 weeks out. Sometimes she still won’t put the foot down; but, it is usually when we have watched her ‘running’ on all 4. I don’t want to take her in, just to have them call me later and say they can’t do it. We’re going to take her to Louisiana with us in August; so she won’t have to stay ‘crated’ up the entire time. She is good rider; we’ll just have to watch when we go into a restaurant to make sure she is in the shade and that we can see her from where we sit. Never traveled with a pet before. Hope she will behave herself.

Beth near Buffalo – Teenage girls are about the ‘meanest’ they’ll ever be from the Sophomore year through the Senior year. Our DOGD was ‘new’ to school in her Freshman year; and, it was hard on her because most of the kids at this small private academy had grown up together. She joined the cheerleading and dance line, studied hard and got involved in Honor’s Society, was the Junior representative in Homecoming, and was Captain of the cheerleading and dance line in her Senior year. And most important she was the ‘Star Student’ … which mean more to her than anything.

Karen in Virginia – My DYS was pretty athletic; and when he was about 10; the catcher for their Dixie League team got hit by a very ‘fast’ ball and could not catch. So the coach asked if anybody wanted to take his place, nobody wanted to … so he said, ‘I’ll do it’! So a few practice throws later, the coach was impressed and let him catch. The other guy would not play that position even when he got over his broken nose. He enjoyed baseball. One game he hit 3 home run. He had Ray Knight as his coach for 2 years … one of these years is when he had him. He wanted to bat left-handed and Ray wanted him to bat right-handed. All 3 homers were when he batted left-handed, we found out later that he is left-eyed dominant and that is why he wanted to bat left-handed. He could keep his eye on the ball; while I played ‘golf’ in HS never on the team; because I needed left-handed clubs for the same reason. He even enjoyed HS ball; but, had a ‘jerk’ as a coach. He ran down a guy coming into home, when the coach was screaming at him to ‘throw’ the ball to the first base. He did not want for this guy to score; so they one he game instead of tying it. He pulled him over by his catcher’s helmet and literally ‘cussed him out’ in front of everybody. The parents were ‘livid’. After that the coach would not play him but, maybe one inning. We had bought him all the catcher’s equipment because the school’s equipment was not very good and out of date wherein the throat pad was on his and not on the school’s. When he wasn’t playing and they put in one of the younger guys, he’d ‘sit’ on his equipment and not allow him to use it. One of the neighbor’s boys was also a catcher, and he would allow him to use it. Whenever he got called out he wanted him to give the equipment to the younger boy; and, he’d come into the bull pen and throw out the school’s equipment. This coach made his year totally no longer fun; and, ‘if’ he had played him, there would have been little doubt that he could have gotten a college scholarship. He did not play his Senior year because of him. During his Senior year this guy was sitting in Krispy Kreme and some guy came him and beat the daylights out of him. Everybody in town thought he probably ‘asked’ for it – being ugly to this ‘homeless’ man.

I had a friend, who worked part-time. She gave her check to her husband; who put ½ of it in a savings account for her; and the other half she had to buy groceries and clothes and anything else she wanted out of it. She cooked a meal for them ‘every’ night. She agreed that she had that ‘nickel burning a hole in her pocket’ personality if he did not do this. Both DH and I have joint checking accounts; he is on one; my DOS is on the other We also don't bank at the same institution. Told my DOS that ‘if’ DDnL#1 ever wanted to add him to her account; he’d have to come off mine before going on hers. She can’t keep a bank account ‘straight’ for any reason, mainly because she doesn't post her debit card purchases until much later - usually they are in the car, which is always a mess; then she cannot understand why checks bounce. I should not talk, the bank shows that I have $160 in my account that I don’t show in my register … I got 3 months of statements from the bank and compared them to my register. All checks and deposits are the same. Gee, I don’t know what is going on. So next month, If I don’t balance, I am going to the bank to see if a check or checks have not cleared … as far back as they can go. I hate not being able to balance my account, to the penny, every month. GGGggggrrrrrrr!!!!! While we are both on the other’s account; we never use it unless we get permission to do so first. I pay certain bills; and he pays some.

Becca – Hope everything went ‘ok’ with your husband’s surgery.

Paulina and others with liver problems – The liver is an amazing organ insofar as a portion of it can be removed and it will regenerate and grow back; but, only if you get it into a healthy condition. Not eating certain foods, not drinking on a daily basis, and getting your overall weight into a ‘normal’ range and exercising and drinking a lot of water. My boss was going to have a liver transplant until during their pre-op they found he had a ‘heart murmur’ that he had been born with but had not corrected itself like they sometimes do. He drank every day (a mixed drink when he got home). Had another boss; whose son was a pure alcoholic; but he got a liver transplant, obeyed the MD’s instructions for a couple of years; and, then went back to drinking and ended up getting another liver. Why they gave one to him buffalos me; especially when he did not ‘obey’ the MD in the first place. I think that was the first time that I really realized that ‘money talks; and, *kitten* walks’.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    !
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    barbie what a special honor for your friend. Hope she enjoys it and recognizes what a gift she gave to you and that you are now passing that on to others. NYKAREN
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Got an email from my sister in Uganda. She has picked up a nasty parasite, pretty serious. She's on medication which has horrible side affects but she has to endure it so her liver and kidneys don't get any more damaged than they already are. They don't know when she picked it up, likely almost two years ago because of the symptoms she started showing. Heart problems, tremors, extremely erratic blood pressure and loss of strength. She told me to go get checked for the parasite toot-sweet as I was with her two years ago at the location she likely got it (the Nile). Just what I need... but I did go get checked, gave a sample, stool and blood. They looked at me like I was nuts when I said I needed to be checked for Bilharzia. Thankfully it can be dealt with quickly. The concern for her is damage that may already have been done.

Whoever said pre-log food.... so cool! I didn't know I could do that! I will definitely do that. It appears that the resort we are staying at, basic as it is has added internet in the main area so maybe I'll be able to check in anyway. But I'm not taking chances and pre-logging anyway.

Today is a grandson's 5th birthday. I am headed to their house with a slip-n-slide and water balloons. Nothing like water on a hot day for birthdays.

Arranged for our house keeper/guest to do some extra "stuff" for me while I'm gone. Hopefully I will come home to a fully weeded garden. With all the rain we've had the weeds are going crazy. I'm harvesting tomatoes and peppers like mad too. Can't keep up with them. Tomatoes are the new zucchini around here.

Happy day to everyone. Old and new.... or maybe I should say regulars and newcomers. Nobody likes being called old. :)

Marcelyn
    Looking to leave Houston for the Honduras in 18 hours!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Mary great to see you back and in a good place physically. Always an inspiration.

Welcome to all the new members. This is a great group of ladies.

Pip thinking of buying a bike any recommendations. Budget wise max I can spend is $200. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Becca my thoughts have been with you and your DH today.

Love to hear about everyones success. Keeps me motivated to make good decisions. I think maintenance has been tougher on me than I thought it would be.

Anne from Wisconsin

I will respond to your question after work when I get home
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard from Becca? :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    .786151k52p0nwrg3.gif Heather and Penny, you two look awesome
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Heather and Penny- You two look fantastic! It is so nice that you could meet. It's sounds like you had a very nice time.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Trublu, welcome. Many of us have kept clothes until they become vintage. hee hee hee This is a wonderful place for support and information so come often. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific. Come often and join right in.

Kay, that is fantastic that you did the 5-K. I’m very impressed and happy for you that your knee wasn’t a problem.

Katla, happy your pup passed his checkup. Don’t we wish we could keep the good ones forever.

cheerleading-smiley-emoticon.gifGo Pip, Go Pip, Go Pip!!!

Janetr, you can come to the beach with me any time! It was a glorious day there. So clear and sunny but low humidity and not hot. The spot we picked had about a 2 ½ foot drop off just a few feet out into the surf which I didn’t like. Don’t think I’ll go back to that location but then it might not even be there the next time. One nice thing about Myrtle Beach is that we have public beach access every block or two with some parking. When we went to Hilton Head Island, SC a couple of years ago we found that it has become very restrictive as to getting on the beach.

Rori, I don’t know about you but I just hate having things wear out and break. And for some reason it seems that when it rains it pours. Good luck on the vet visit.

Paulina, welcome. And a HUGE congrats-smiley-emoticon-1.gif on your success. How wonderful to make such a change to your health and your life. Keep up the great work. Come often and join right in.

Joyce, it’s Terri in Milwaukee that sports a tiara. So cute that your DGD likes them. I think it’s wonderful that you are able to help Charlie with his medical needs. Now for the poor cat…..I hope things will get back to her idea of normal soon. kitten-confused-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sandie and Virginislander, welcome. This is a supportive and informative group of ladies. Please tell us about yourselves to help us get to know you. Also please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Penny, how interesting that you can’t pick flowers at all but I guess with having so few, it’s understandable.

NYKaren, the young lady you’ve been working with sounds like a winner. Enjoy the graduation.

Di, welcome. It sounds like you are back on the right track. Come here often for great support and please sign each post with the name you want to be called.

Karen, great pictures.

Charleen, congratulations!!! Great weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Heather, I think it was great that you explained how you eat and still enjoy without adding on the pounds.

Califgirl, beautiful picture.

KarenVA, thanks for the info on Coton’s. I had never heard of them. He’s a cutie along with the rest of the pack. Griffin is so cute and what a sad story about getting expelled. You sound like a wonderful Grandmother.

CJ, don’t you dare feel sorry for yourself and not even tell us about it. How can we support you when we don’t know what’s going on. Ya gotta help us out a little here. (((((Hugs))))

I’m not even up to today’s posts yet but hope Heather and Penny had a great day.

Mary, Shep is such a cute kid. LOL

Iremia, welcome. It’s nice that you know how to do this so I hope you will be hitting 199#s before you know it. Come often and join in. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called.

Jane, so sorry about your health issues. Please take care of yourself and get those numbers back where they should be. ((((Hugs))))

Sandie, welcome to you as well. We now know where you started 4 years ago but have you continued and where are you now? We gladly support everyone but it would be nice to know a little more about you. And yes, one step at a time is the best way to go.

Sue, what a bummer about your tooth. I do hope you knees are stronger soon.

MicheleNC, if you do get a magician would you have to keep him as long? I’d think an hour would suffice. A face painter is fun for the kids but not if they are going in the pool. Or is this adults only? I know you’ll have fun whatever you decide. Once we had a DJ with a karaoke machine at one of our pool parties. He sang or guests could sing if they wanted.

Anne, a friend of mine just bought a bike at Walmart for about $100. I think it had about 12 gears. Nothing like those $1000 bikes that Pip drives but this is for casual exercise.

Janetr, it sounds like a fun time at your neighbor’s house. How cool that you can impress an 18yo. I’d count that as an NSV too.

Katla, sending good thoughts for your eye exam. I hope this doctor gives better news or at least more information. (((Hugs))) I keep thinking about Sylvia, too. I wish she would just pop In once in a while. I really miss her.

Heather and Penny, wonderful to see you together and you both look fantastic! We are all as excited as if we had been there with you. Looking forward to more.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’ve worked very hard today to try to catch up and have one page to go. I need to go start dinner so will post this for now. All I’ve done today was get some housework and ironing caught up. I wish you all successes in your endeavors and yummy, healthy food in your bellies.
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals!!!

Welcome – Paulina, virginislander, Dikoeler, cjschulting, artistsandie, and everyone else I missed!

Heather – so excited for you!

Joyce – Teri wears a tiara, so glad this has brought you and Charlie closer… a silver lining

Karen – cute pups and son? Grandson? Later Griffin is so lucky to have you – I think each kid needs a trusted adult that they can ask things of, talk or not talk and feel loved… too often parents get caught up in the crazies of life…

Alison – I would love to print your post about the ungrateful kids and bring it to them set them down and read it to them…. While I am super glad you have here to vent, I am curious do they have any idea how mean and insulting they are being.

Jane – you know how to do this! We are here to cheer you on!

Michele – I had a friend go to an adult party and they had someone who made and taught them how to make balloon animals…. She loved it.

Katla – I love the idea of beachy music for Michele, maybe hula dancers????

Barbie – your post oozzies gratitude to her – you will be able to make it all about her easily.

Heather and Penny – great picture!!!!

Missing Sylvia!!!!!!!

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation, visiting with vickie
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California