WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    Mary I want to add my belated welcome back. It is so good to see you and Shep again. He has turned into quite the handsome young dog. Kettle bells are out for me until we figure out why the joints are so bad. I am going to PT and arm and hand strengthening is central to recovery. So I hope to be swinging again soon.

Thanks! It's great to be back. I'm sorry to hear about your joint pain. Let me know when you're able to swing again!

Pip- thanks, he brings me a lot of joy!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    well went to the wake, paid my respects and came home...and am in my jammies....
    long day and very very windy.. got the lawn done,but the wind was whipping sand and dirt and stuff all over the place...including my eyes...
    Im sorta miffed at my daughter..
    I did not raise either of my children to be anything but polite and courteous and respectful.. and I feel I have failed..Kyle's influence on Tracy and Taliah,I just dont know...
    My Ex let them live for 108 a month in a 3 bedroom house and paid for everything except there groceries and personal stuff... they are both driving brand new cars..and after all the work I put into my dads house, now granted it isn't the Taj Mahal but I worked hard to get it clean.. and all I hear from both of them is they can't wait to find jobs that pay enough for them to get out of there.. Really? they have it made scott free almost.. They want a brand spanky new house or brand new apartment with all the bells and whistles, there whole family except for my son of course ,Is married with respectable jobs and a House... thats what they want .. they want a house... and they would love if when we move to Florida to just hand this one over to them... A No!!! we worked to hard for that.. they have a GED education and have not even tried to better themselves...What the heck is wrong with this generation that they expect everything handed to them.. we had to scrimp and save, and until I married Tom I did not own a house.. or a brand new car..I was in my late 30's.
    I wish them luck,but I am just pretty peeved that for all the work that I did I get looked at like it wasn't enough...
    ok enough of my spouting off... have a good night all..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gloworm46 wrote: »
    I believe Becca's DH is having surgery today (Thursday) at 11:30

I think so too. I hope it went/goes well and he feels better instantly.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Barbie, can you contact Sylvia again and let us know how she is doing? Sure miss that wonderful lady.

I am with the rest of you and anxiously awaiting Heather's ship meeting up with Penny and then reading all the antics those two do.

Did a quick grocery trip today. I didn't want to have to bring to many things into the house. With parking in the driveway and having to carry sevI have got to get Charlie motivated to get out of his recliner. Some of the bags weigh low enough that he can meet me at the top of the stairs and take them in the kitchen and help me unload them. But his life is the recliner now. He did sing a little bit today along with a PBS show on the 50's music.

Got to go get the potatoes nuked pretty soon.

Joyce, hot in INdiana. Only in the 80's but so hot.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Barbie, can you contact Sylvia again and let us know how she is doing? Sure miss that wonderful lady.

Joyce, hot in INdiana. Only in the 80's but so hot.

:'( Sylvia hasn't logged onto MFP for the last two weeks....I sent her a personal message that she'll see when she logs on again...I miss her, too.

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI.Ladies.Had a scare today.went to dr for a clearance for surgery.She said my liver enzmes were up.ordered a labs and ultrasound.Got the results.Have to change my diet and start an exercise program.Should go back to normal.
    hugs jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jane: Good luck with your health. I hope you can get your liver enzymes to the healthy zone.
  • artistsandie
    artistsandie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well I have a story like everyone. I started my healthy weight journey 4 years ago at 364 pounds. I was ill on meds for all kinds of things, and wheelchair bound. My journey is still progressing one step and moment at a time.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Went to the dentist today and have to go back in a couple of weeks. They found a small cavity under a previous filling so will have to remove it and put in a new one. Yuck!! Also went to PT this afternoon and I think my knees will be really sore tomorrow but glad that eventually they will be stronger and it will be easier to get on my horse. Have iced them and hope that will help. told to take ibuprofen if I need to. Have to go set up for the tea at church tomorrow morning. I think I have everything I need. Got fancy cocktail toothpicks and am making little fresh fruit skewers for it.

Larisa - Congrats on the new job.

Mary - Good to see you back!

Joyce - Glad Charlie is recovering well.

I think everyone here is almost as excited about Penny and Heather meeting as they are. Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did a "Transform your Body by Brooke Burke" DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a bosu DVD

pip - talk about the Energizer bunny! That's you! Do you EVER stop??? So proud of you

Karen in VA - I remember making my own fruit roll up a while ago. See, I don't have a dehydrator. But the fruit sheets that I made were so, so good. I pureed the fruit and then spread it REAL THIN on wax (or maybe it was parchment) paper and put it in the oven REAL LOW overnight. hmmm - I'd probably partially rehydrate it. I would think that would be better than adding applesauce. Actually, friends of Jessica's are supposed to be here in a few weeks. I'll make a key lime cake for them and then probably try this. Gotta have something decent! Now to figure out what to serve for dinner. I'm thinking that I'll make these lasagna cups but this time try making them in a min-muffin tin. Maybe for dinner we'll have beer butt chicken.

Debbie - one time I fell off a treadmill. I think I was going backwards. Was I ever embarrassed! Even Vince said the other day "boy, it takes longer for me to heal now. When I was 20 it would take 2 or 3 days. Now it takes 2 or 3 WEEKS" So be good to yourself

Kim - what I found was even after a year or two, there were times when it was still good to go to an instructor. Even without realizing it, sometimes I didn't have my shoulder back far enough or spread my legs wide enough (girls! get thy thoughts out of the gutter now! And that includes you, pip, too!). So it was always good to go back to an instructor.

OK ladies - maybe you all have ideas. We're going to have a pool social again this year. Remember last year we had the guy who drew the caricatures? We really don't want to have him again so soon, can you think of any other type of "entertainment" we could have? It has to be something that can be done outside or inside if it rains. Part of me is wondering if a juggler wouldn't work. Any other ideas? I'd love to have the magician, but I remember it was $350 for 1-1/2 hrs. We're on a pretty limited budget. Then again, I keep asking Vince to look up who much we spent for the guy who did the caricatures. I know that we gave him extra because he stayed extra long.

Paulina - welcome! Awesome loss, you certainly had the motivation and did it. Keep coming back, we need your motivation and will give you lots, too.

Heather - now you and Penny don't get into too much trouble, ya hear???? Looking forward to lots and lots of pictures. The one thing that I don't like about wearing a swim cap is that when I take it off, my hair is so "packed down". Does this happen to you?

Carey - There are times when I'm kneeling down and my hamstrings just cramp up like nothing at all. What a pain, even if the pain does go away in a minute or two. I try to stretch them every day but that doesn't seem to help a whole lot. I guess it would be much worse if I didn't stretch them. When I take the extremepump class, they always start the class so late and I can't ask Vince to wait for me, it's nice enough of him to drive me so I don't feel it's right to ask him to wait. So I wind up missing the stretching portion (boo).

Joyce - fruit leather is pureed fruit that has been dried. It usually comes in a strip, although I have seen it in rolls. I haven't had that type in a LONG time since it usually contains added sugars. Last year Jessica invited people to her Thanksgiving dinner by facebook. Honestly, I don't do facebook every day and Vince doesn't do it at all, so it was a few days before I ever got the message. For me, if she had emailed me, I probably would have seen it sooner.

artistsandie - welcome! tell us more about yourself. Are you an artist? What sort of medium do you use?

virginiaislander - welcome! tell us more about yourself.

Welcome everyone new!

Charleen - awesome weight loss. You're on your way now!

Sylvia - hope everything's OK

Exercised then Vince went to the dentist. He was afraid that I'd start the machine to cut the weeds by myself so he asked me not to do anything. I wanted to go in the pool but instead I put down weed killer. He came home and we cut more of the weeds at the top of our property. Did that for about 3 hours. I tell you, wouldn't surprise me if I got in 20,000 steps because as he was cutting the weeds, I'd bend down (good ab work), pick them up, then walk them across the property to dump on the lot next to us (there isn't a house or anything there, just weeds). It just goes so much faster if one person cuts and the other person picks up the weeds. I had to do both yesterday so I don't think I got as much done as we got done today. Looking better. Just not sure how to get the weeds off the dirt mound. I REALLY would like to get that land up there leveled off. Now in to have dinner.

Praying for Becca, the doctors and nurses, and of course her husband

Had spaghetti squash yesterday. Haven't had that in a long time.

Marcelyn - prelog at least one item for each day that you are gone. then you won't lose your streak

Penny and Heather - how exciting!!!!

jane - I bet that was scary but I know that you'll change your diet. What kind of changes will you have to make? Less protein?

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    19,000 steps
    194 minutes of dog walking
    45 minutes riding the exercise bike
    line dance class

Dogs went to the groomer today and they look beautiful...Sasha has almost gotten rid of one of the red bows in her ears...we had to readjust the appointment for July because Jake won't be able to drive for many weeks after his surgery and I can't take them on line dance days.

I rarely wish I were anywhere other than where I am, but today I'm thinking how great it would be to be way up north with Heather and Penny
    .786151k52p0nwrg3.gif

<3 Barbie from chilly NW Washington t116009.gif
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Mary great to see you back and in a good place physically. Always an inspiration.

Welcome to all the new members. This is a great group of ladies.

Pip thinking of buying a bike any recommendations. Budget wise max I can spend is $200. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Becca my thoughts have been with you and your DH today.

Love to hear about everyones success. Keeps me motivated to make good decisions. I think maintenance has been tougher on me than I thought it would be.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Jane did doc say what causes elevated liver enzymes? My son was tool that once by a doctor but he never asks questions. Are you having k nee .

Charlene so happy for you and your loss!

Pip keep on Rollin' Rollin'!

Allie sometimes it seems the more you do for someone the less they appreciate it. It must hurt you the way your daughter is seeming to be so ungrateful! If they had such a good deal with the DSnLs Dad why did they leave there?

I am caught up with reading and had more to respond to but having one of those senior moments. Hope everything went well with Becca's DH and Heather has an awesome time with Penney!

Off to DGS#1s final c concert of the year.

Love and healing thoughts to all!

Gloria in WA where the weather is confused again :( brrrrrr

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.05min, 15.3amph, 136mhr, 2.5mi = 116c
    OTHER- PHYSICAL THERAPY @ gym- 45min, 8 stretches, 1-2sets of 15 some w/5lb weights using bosu ball, 3sets of planks on ball, = 168c
    ride gym 2 wk, via yakima loop- 52.20min, 13.1amph, 123ahr, 146mhr, 11.4mi = 467c
    Ride wk 2 hm- 52.23min, 11.8amph, 144mhr, 10.3mi = 429c
    Total cal 1180
  • pipcd34
    Options
    So far I've ridden 91.8 mi this week. Thanks exermom and glowwormin !
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lenora Thanks :)

Michele in NC giggling about beer butt chicken. ummmm - about the entertainment, I don't know if an audience participation theme would work...I have never been to one of those social painting parties, but they sound fun to me...I guess some people loathe them, but I don't know why.

HeatherUK & Penny I am ridiculously excited about your rendezvous in Longyearbyen. Vicarious thrill!

Mary Thanks! that makes sense. Now I am going to look up kettlebells and see what that is all about. Learning still, going to do my homework before starting.

Becca & Joyce Thinking of you with your wounds and stones. Sending healing thoughts.

Cheri Know you are working hard to get your daughter settled in Midlothian this week, hope it is all going well!

I am sorry to have a temporary brain fart as to who the woman is facing a wider excision due to the positive arm biopsy, but am thinking of you as well.

Gloria I know something about liver enzymes. Of course liver enzymes can be elevated for lots of reasons (just ask Becca) but the mild enzyme elevation discussed in this forum probably is due to fatty liver and is reversible with weight (fat) loss. It isn't really dangerous, just a red flag that one's liver is full of fat. Like a goose or a duck being force fed so humans can have foie gras. :s It means that probably the heart and other organs are being crowded by fat, too.

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Great Cycle Challange,
    187mi ridden, in 10th place for state of WA, 2nd place female, 213mi to go to reach my goal
    10th place in WA and 2nd female (as far as miles ridden) looks like there are 130 people that are actively riding, I could be wrong
  • Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Gloria...my liver enzymes were through the roof 9 months ago. I was actually told a couple of years ago that I had fatty liver, but the doc never told me that it was serious, so fast forward to last august and it has now become cirrhosis and I better do something now. I changed my diet completely....no fat, sugar, or pretty much red meat either, because the liver has to work too hard to digest it and started excersising. It is reversing its self slowly. The horrendous pain is gone and Im not exhausted all the time. The worst symptom was the foggy brain. I really thought I was developing alzheimers, but it is because your body is slowly being choked to death by fat. I finally feel like Im thinking clearly again. Also stay away from sugar because fatty liver make you more susceptible to diabetes. You can turn this around, but it can become dangerous if you ignore it for too long. I was not a drinker so mine was caused strictly because of bad eating habits and being a sloth for most of my life. Its tough to change everything about your life at once, but the alternative was a liver transplant or death. Not much of a choice. Good luck to you and just remember it can be reversed and you can get your health back.

CJ.....thanks sooo much for the welcome and kind words. If I can help someone realize that this difficult journey, can be accomplished, and help share some of my knowledge that Ive aquired along the way.....I am so happy to do so. I know it takes a village to raise a child, but sometimes the grown-ups could use some help too.

Paulina , Addy Washington.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!!

I am way behind in the post readings. Been very busy here. Son had prom this past Saturday ... A fiasco. His date's friends were being mean girls ... So they ended up leaving by 9:30 ... Went out to eat. Poor boy ... He had a sobbing girl on his hands and didn't know what to do. So good made sense to him. So much drama ...

I've been on a road trip with 3 of my girlfriends... Just got back ... Much needed time filled with laughter.

I am headed back into the post reading now. Will try to catch up, But I'm over 300 posts behind!

Allie ... I take aleve twice a day ... For arthritis ... under the direction of my doctor. It's been recommended by a world renowned orthopedic surgeon for my son who has physical issues well.

Beth near Buffalo