WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Still sick. Feverish today. Sore throat and hacking cough. Ugh, I hate summer colds.

Love to all!

GACK! Feel better soon!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,645 Member
    Options
    R
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Beth ~ Handsome son and pretty date!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    beth great pic and I hope some happy memories even though there was mean girl drama that your son had to put up with. My DD is only keeping the pics with her friends not her date!!!! Yikes :* NYKAREN
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello, Ladies!

I am at work - so I can't linger, but I wanted to say hello, and to let you all know how wonderful it is to see what everyone is doing, and to see so many non-diet related things.

I love the kittens, the pictures of all the people and the discussions on decorating and Darling Husbands as much as I need the encouragement and advise from all of you, so Thanks!

With so many posts... Speed reading is the only answer... lol

Talk to y'all later!

Re in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary form MN: I followed your link and found it so helpful that I bookmarked it. Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Pip: Baby your knees for a while. (((HUGS)))

Meg: Welcome back! :star:

Miriam: Feel better soon! :heart:

Yoga today was good and now it is time for me to get to work. I have a lot of dog hair to vacuum & I'm getting started right now.

Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • ARTMOM717
    ARTMOM717 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Love the proverb, Katia.
  • auroranae
    auroranae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Paula- my youngest son just graduated from hs a few weeks ago and is going to college in Murfreesboro, NC. Ee will be there next.mobth for his orientarion day thwn spending the weekend at my friends house in New Bern to celebrate her 50th bday.
    His other choice was in northern Vermont so I am very happy he chose NC!

Regarding eating back the exercise calories- I never do. I pretend they don't exist so many days MFP tells me I did not eat enough.
    I do use as accurate measurements as possible which is easy with my meat intake as I have home delivery and all are packaged with weight- either 3 or 4 ounces. As for everything else I tend to over estimate when I am not sure of the exact amount. I use a measuring cup for things like rice or pasta and vegetables so I think those are pretty accurate.
    I have to make the gp appointment but it will not be until the end of the month as we are leaving for a week in Florida this Saturday.
    My sister is leaving for 4 years in Germany the beginning of July so we are taking my parents to stay a week at my sister's Amelia Island condo with her family before they leave. This may be the last family trip with my parents as they are older and unwell. Only 2 of my kids are able to go - the 31 yo dd and 27 yo ds- but before we leave late Saturday night we are taking my parents to my granddaughters 7th birthday party and all 6 of my kids will be there. .. which is a hard feat to manage now that they are all grown.

We are making all of our meals but 2 while away and I am in charge of the meals so lots of fresh fruit and veggies and low carb gluten free meals. My sister and I both have gluten sensitivity and notice that we tend to retain fluid and have tummy troubles when we eat too much gluten rich food.

Water intake- my doc said aim for 96 to 108 ounces and hope for at least 64 ounces. I bought some 32 ounce water bottles so I just have to drink 3 of those a day - which is so much easier to do when I think of it as only 3 bottles instead if as 96 ounces!

Very happy to see more new people here... I tend to lurk ... usually while sitting by the pool after a water aerobics workout when I am air drying. And yes, always under the awning or one of the umbrellas to prevent sun damage.
    I am now doing 100 laps in the pool which is 1000 yards or 10 football fields. I run, swim and jog the laps at least 3 times a week but now that I have the pool filter fixed and chemicals stable I can do it everyday and am working up to 200 laps or 20 football fields. I love swimming and running in the pool and my family knows that if I am on the back deck to leave me alone!
    I love that we have finally gotten into summer weather... the hotter the better for me!

Have a great day all... off to make a new recipe for stuffed cabbage that I saw on Facebook that is lower carb and low calorie and hopefully high flavor!

Dawn in very sunny and breezy Maryland!
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Meg - Welcome back! Missed your posts.

Miriam - hope you are feeling better soon. I hate summer colds too.

Beth - love the pic of your son and his prom date! Too bad those smiles did not last all night.

Feeling a little worn down today. I think I overdid it yesterday with both a walk and a bike ride. My butt bones are certainly reminding me that it has been a long time since I rode a bike. I did make it to the gym this morning but only walked on the treadmill. It will hopefully be an early night for me tonight.

Linda/IA
  • Katla49
    Options
    :heart:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Beth- awesome picture of your son and his date!

Penny - Love the whale pictures. My DH and I were with in 25 feet of a mother and her calf on a jet ski. That was a little scary! We did not know that they were there.

Stronglifts

Squat-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    OHP-1X5X 45/50/55, 5X5X 50
    DL-1X5X 135

Kettlebell Swing

Russian kettle bell swing-19X10X30

Walk 1,000 Mile Challenge

5.5 mile hike

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • stumplovingly
    stumplovingly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,I'm new to this site.Tomorrow is my birthday and I will be having a day of celebrations.Concerned about losing control with the eating part of it.I have been struggling since Christmas to get more weight of but not much luck.I have been staying the same weight so I guess you call that maintaining.I need to lose another 40 lbs. to reach my goal but finding it very hard.I walk 2 hours everyday and then some.I seem to have lost my getup and go,that could be what is causing this.Any thoughts on how I can get beyond this block.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hi SL... love the name...

If the cardio is letting you down... it might be time to build a little more muscle. I know a lot of folks here do weight lifting... even if it's just soup cans to start... Muscle burns more calories... and makes you smaller, even if you might weigh the same.

I know at some point I am going to have to get some lifting into my daily regimen... you might try alternating some muscle toning with your walking... I am sure you can find some basic lifting information on line...I know I will be looking into that, too.

Re in TX
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Karen, my heart goes out to you over Griffin. It’s ashamed the school couldn’t find a way to help him. I’m glad to hear the Open House was a success. That was a long day! Fantastic picture of you and Cheri. Aren’t imaginary friends fun to meet?

Angie, welcome. And a huge congrats on that weight loss. How long did that take you? To me the main thing is to try to find foods that you can eat for the rest of your life. This is not a short term diet but a life journey. What ever you are doing it’s working so keep it up.

Rosi, congrats to the beautiful graduate. Now will we see you here more often? Oh and I love the picture of the short lady with the grad. Tee hee hee

Linda, your kitties are so cute! It must be hard to give them up when the time comes.

Irene, your new motto sounds like a good one. You can do this.

Paula, welcome. You had most of us with your profile picture! 54.gif This is a great place for support and information. Come often and join right in.

JoyceSD, glad you finally have a face! Things like that can get so frustrating.

Casey, good to have you with us. I didn’t even know that there was a science for benches but ya learn something every day. (JK) Come back often.

Kay, your mailbox looks great. I was at first picturing having to dig up the post and raise it. LOL

Linda, that was some bike ride. Good for you. I think that would kill me if I tried that much.

Joyce, it’s nice that you got the free supplies to figure out which you like best. I hope it will get easier and at some point Charlie can do it without your help.

Becca, you do know we don’t really expect you to be talking to us about what’s going on in our lives, when you have that going on in yours. Please just keep us posted when you can because we were all getting worried the last time when we didn’t hear from you. ((((Hugs)))) to you both.

Beth, I was thinking the same thing about Griffin’s education.

CJ, what are you talking about that your biking today wasn’t much????? OMG I think it’s fantastic. We don’t expect anyone to bike like Pip but you are right up there, Way to go!! On another note, you put this group of ladies in terms so eloquently that it brought a tear to my eyes. I wish I had a way with words like some of you but I’m just happy to get to know you and enjoy. (((Hugs)))

LisaB, good for you on getting back on track. I hate that you feel too big for yoga. You do know you aren’t. Some days I read this board a number of time throughout the day and some days I sit for a couple of hours trying to get through it all. I hate to skip any because I’m interested but sometimes I just have to due to time. And I’m retired. LOL I’m also not the fastest reader in the world so that doesn’t help. Just do what you can and what works for you.

Katla, are you using the vinegar before each meal? I hope it works for you.

Tamyena, congrats on the loss. The one thing I didn’t do when I started was take lots of measurements. I just did bust, waist and hips and later wish I had done more. Keep up the good work and come here often.

Heather, I do hope when you get home you will post some pictures for us. Glad you two danced the night away. What fun! And woo hoo to DH the boogie mister.

Lisa, the mirror is great. I know you will enjoy having it up.

MicheleNC, I love your critters.

Carey, enjoy that recliner. It sounds great.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

The humidity was back down this morning and the temperatures in the 80’s so I finally finished painting the trim over the garage door. I had done one coat but it needed another. One thing off the list! All I have left outside is the final coat of paint on the mailbox post. I do need some way to keep DH from chewing up the bottom of the post with the weed eater. Oh well. Ladies as always, I think of you often and wish the best for you and your loved ones.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    The last two days of weight resistance training, I have changed up some of the exercises I do and added a few pounds weight. I am sore all over. The good thing is I know I must have worked some muscles I hadn't been working before and in a day or two the soreness goes away.

We had a fun day yesterday with our next door neighbors/best friends. We left about noon and went to Camping World and then to eat at TGIF and then to Cabellas and didn't come home until almost 7:00 pm. It was nice and at least I got a little walking in, although slowly. :)

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,645 Member
    Options
    S
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Penny I'm so enjoying your pics & can understand your love for Longyearbyen. As it gets warmer & more humid here I'll envy you even more
  • Katla49
    Options
    Hi,I'm new to this site.Tomorrow is my birthday and I will be having a day of celebrations.Concerned about losing control with the eating part of it.I have been struggling since Christmas to get more weight of but not much luck.I have been staying the same weight so I guess you call that maintaining.I need to lose another 40 lbs. to reach my goal but finding it very hard.I walk 2 hours everyday and then some.I seem to have lost my getup and go,that could be what is causing this.Any thoughts on how I can get beyond this block.

When I was in the losing weight process I would plateau frequently. Sometimes the MFP app stepped in and reduced my allowed calories. That was always a little challenging until I got used to the new limits, but I started losing again. They never dropped me below 1,200 calories. I learned to exercise in order to earn more calories. I'm a lot more active now than I was when I started. Good luck. You can do this.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon