• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Larissa on the job!! Way to go. :) NYKAREN
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Kathe Kaehler Basics DVD for an hour. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kathy Smith's Fat Burning DVD.

Becca - you sure are a great baker. To think something like that up! Question: I have a recipe for a fruit bar. I thought I'd be real smart and use only the all fruit spread. Only that wasn't thick enough. It did have good flavor, tho. Anyway, if I were to use jam that has added sugar. Is there some way I can make it thicker but not have all the sugar?

Cleaned for Mexican Train tonight. Vacuumed out the spa and the steps to the pool, vacuumed the house, got the Mexican Train things out, made these lasagna cups for Mexican Train. Vince bought a 8lb bag of ice at McD's, I took the train cake out of the freezer so there is room for the ice. Think I'll go in the pool for a bit now.

I'm back, took a shower, emptied the dishwasher, got Vince's clothes in the wash

Lisa - I totally agree with you. A while ago I knew something was wrong, I didn't know what. How I insisted that I have a bone density scan! Honestly, I think the MD ordered it mainly to shut me up. Was she ever surprised that it came back that I had osteoporosis! She kept saying over and over "we don't recommend that (BDS) for women who haven't gone thru menopause". But I just knew the way my ankle gave out that something wasn't right. So I totally agree with you. So glad you're feeling better

diane - welcome! Scooter is so cute!

Heather - swimming makes me starving, too. I don't know what it is. When I take the deep water aerobics class, I can usually drink 54oz of water. Then I have to come into the locker room and have a piece of fruit, I can't even wait to get to the vending machine -- which is a good thing

Lenora - we haven't seen the snake in 2 days so hopefully it's gone on to other pastures

Becca - in the Navy, does your son get a college education or credit for a degree? I'm surprised that large ladies in a nudist colony had self esteem issues. I remember when I took a belly dancing class. Some of the ladies were BIG but they didn't seem to have any problem at all.

Linda - if that snake was in the house, I would be out of the house --- and fast!

Had Mexican Train here tonight. I realized after everyone got here that the gal who usually has it didn't give me the rotation cards. I tell you, I know that she's somewhat of a control freak. She's probably really upset that she can't host, she always wants to at her house. I remember once a few years ago she had to go to a wedding and people wanted to play so I said that we could play at my house. She didn't like that one bit. This time she just said last month "no Mexican Train for the next two months" instead of "I can't be here the next two months, can someone else host?". Last time I hosted I found out that people keep their dominoe sets at her house. This time she only gave me exactly what I asked for. I totally forgot the cards and she didn't give them to me. If it had been me, I probably would have said something like "thanks so much for hosting, here's the supplies. Let me know if there's anything else you need" But she isn't going to do that, and I know it. Fortunately, another gal plays bridge and she was able to run off the computer the rotation. Actually, I prefer the way she did it, you put your score on the paper instead of on this pad. To me, it was much better.

The gal who ran the rotation cards off for me is someone who likes to be in charge, that's just her thing. She's a real nice gal. It was interesting, she gathered all the papers and divided the money. That's just her thing so I let her do it.

You know, the only dessert we had was the cake I made and then I had some mint M&M's in the pantry that I wanted to use up. I'm going to give the one guy at ceramics some of the cake, some of the lasagna cups that were left over and the rest of the M&M's (to be honest, I really don't want them in the house). This guy and his wife usually come to Mexican Train. She has trouble big time getting around. She needs a knee replacement but she's VERY overweight and she had a heart attack so they won't operate for at least a year. They're really nice people. She's very overweight yet whenever she's invited someplace, she ALWAYS brings a dessert. Every time at Mexican Train she brings a dessert. Really, the only time I've ever was when I brought a pie because it was her husband's birthday and then something for Vince's birthday.

barbie - Bernie is so sweet. What a lovely pic of the lavender!

Tomorrow is the general meeting for the Newcomers, then probably home. In the evening is ceramics. I'm thinking that I'd like to stop at Lowe's foods on the way home and get the items on sale.

Michele in NC

Answer to the 1st question: I would put the jam in a small pot, to warm, then take a container with cold water, and about 3 T of corn starch mixed up. Add the corn starch to the jam mixture until you get it the consistency that you want.

Answer to the 2nd question: Well the Navy does have online classes you can take as you are in the military. Then after you get out the military will pay for college, (at least most of it I am told). Also like my middle son with a aviation electricians rate in the Navy, how many hrs served counts toward the civilian Electricians field. So you can get out and not be low on the pole as an apprentice, but as a layman.
    I was one of those large ladies that looked at the Nudist world as liberating. I made sense there, even as a large lady. Some ladies were still so hung up about their weight, and did a lot of comparing themselves with others that weren't as big as them. I do know (because I listened in on a couple of guys talking in the pool) that most men like women a bit on the plump side. I know this because they were talking and a lady walked by that had lost some weight. They all mentioned that she looked better before. They were talking really low, and she didn't hear, or anything. Surprised the heck out of me. Another gentleman told me, (when my husband wasn't around) that he liked my belly. I was like WHAT??!! Crazily, he had a really slim wife, and maybe I was like forbidden fruit kind of thing. I had never had another guy say he liked my belly. *long sigh* See no boundaries...

Becca
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Welcome back, Mary!

I'm at a conference Tue-Thurs and am missing my weight training. I did a 5-k at the conference this morning and came in 85 out of 88 runners. I walked most of it. I could not walk as fast as the other walkers. I was in last place a good portion of the way. The thing that saved me was that the last stretch was a really steep hill. I was able to pull past 4 people on the hill. Then when we got to the home stretch, one of them got a burst of energy and jogged past me. I considered it a victory since I was able to complete the whole race without limping and no knee pain. A week ago I couldn't even do my regular walk for the pain. My time was 49:15.

I have been reading but not commenting. Between my sister being in town last week and this conference this week, I'm a little overwhelmed.

Welcome to all the newbs.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Alison: A $100 gift should be just fine. :flowerforyou:

Irish Terri: You have a very good point. Being healthy is the right goal for all of us. :bigsmile:

Larissa: Congratulations on a great new job! :star::star::star:

Becca: IMHO, good health is beautiful whether it is sleek or generous. My mom was always just a bit over weight and I always thought she was the prettiest mom in the whole family. She didn't see herself as pretty though. Sadly, she smoked herself into severe emphysema and that wasn't so pretty. It was a terrible way to die. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

My pup had his annual checkup at the vet's today and passed with glowing compliments on his weight, condition, and attitude. He is nine and I hope to have him for quite a few more years.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did Kathe Smith's Fat Burning DVD today. Tomorrow's plan is to do Transform your Body with Brooke Shields DVD

Kim - I'd never heard that about the spools being different, but it makes complete sense. Don't you just hate it when manufacturers make changes?

I just realized that we can't work on the weeds tomorrow (I can) because Vince has a dentist appt. By the time he gets back, I'll probably be ready to quit. Well....depending on when he gets back. His appt is for 11:15, so I'm guessing around 12:30. I was only planning to work until 3, then take a shower (I know that I'll be sweating). We both can work until 3 on Friday, so that'll be a help. Update: it's supposed to be in the 90's Friday and Vince has already told me that he doesn't want to work outside in that heat.

We didn't see the snake yesterday. Yesssss! Or today

Mary - how wonderful to have you back. Take it easy, we don't want to lose you again. I know that you'll be building yourself back up and knowing you, you'll be back to full speed in no time at all.

tjsfriend - welcome! There are lots of retired teachers here.

Karin in VA- you can use fruit leather in fruit bars? I didn't know that at all. The fruit leather will melt in the heat? What a great suggestion! Truthfully, I'll probably wind up just buying the fruit leather. I know Aldi carries (or at least used to carry, I haven't seen it in a while, hope it come back because I'm getting low) this kind of fruit leather that is all fruit. I think I'll try that. Why do you consider yourself a newby? We don't. Before you know it, you'll be meeting people from this thread in person. Mary is the queen (I think) of lifting heavy weights. She'll be back to her heaviest in no time at all.

janetr - that's wonderful that you can help your neighbor while also helping yourself.

Went to the funeral of the Newcomer member who had ALS and passed away. Then went to dinner with some of the other members so didn't get to ceramics. Oh well.....

Lenora - the whole area where Vince thinks that snake was living hasn't been cut down yet. Tomorrow he has a dentist appt so while he's at it I'll probably go in the pool a bit. Then when he comes home hopefully, we'll get some more of the weeds cut down. It just goes so much faster when two people do it. I had to cut the weeds, stop, pick the weeds up and move them to the side. This was if he can cut I can pick up as he's cutting and there won't be any stopping.

Carey - there is this website that I get some of the DVD's from. But the problem is that they changed to where you have to be a "friend" of someone and at the time I joined Vince was having the heart problems so I didn't even have time to "friend" anyone. One gal came down on me real hard that I didn't do this. So I just am able to get a few from there. I have some of the others. Kickboxing just isn't my thing. Probably part of it is that I have such tight hamstrings and can't get my leg up that high.

tshirtartist - what a cute pic!

katla - how I wish there were yoga classes at the Y. They discontinued them. I did a yoga DVD the other day and realized just how much I'd lost in flexibility, etc.

NYKaren - (((big hug)))

Debbie in TX - I hope you didn't get hurt in the fall

Heather - I'm so happy for your son

Larisa - I know you'll do fantastic at the new job. WTG!!!

I got the bisq seaturtle that we got in VA out and I'll probably take that to ceramics on Monday. I'll glaze the inside and then probably work some more on the wolf before I have to leave for mahjongg

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.50min, 14.3amph, 127mhr, 2.5mi = 85c
    SPIN- 45min, 98ar, 61aw, 8g, 125ahr, 156mhr, 10mi = 321c
    ride gym 2 wk, via yakima loop- 1hr 28sec, 11.8amph, 125ahr, 150mhr, 11.9mi = 482c
    outside riding round parking lot- 15.07min, 10amph, 106mhr, 2.5mi = 81c
    ride dome 2 hm- 19.34min, 7.9amph, 148mhr, 2.5mi = 173c
    total cal 1142
  • pipcd34
    Options
    thanks janetr you should be surprised, i am
  • Katla49
    Options
    Pip: You are amazing! :bigsmile:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Michele in NC Thanks for the reassurance, but you have to admit this is a slightly intimidating group to join...it reminds me of my mom's "sewing circle" (a euphemism - very little sewing was done, but apparently it sounded more acceptable to the husbands). They met every month for over 50 years, and newbys were always welcome, but there was this core group of about 10 women who had all of this rich history together...it was pretty amazing...I just have a lot of respect for the dynamic you have going.

Concerning the fruit leather, yes you can use the fruit leather in fruit bars but you may have the opposite problem (it may be too "thick" - actually too dry, depending on the recipe), but can be partially rehydrated by dipping into water or can be plumped up with a little applesauce under or over the leather layer. I like it because it has an intense fruit flavor without added sugar. The reason I make my own is because I can control how dry it gets (depending on what I am using it for) and because I can make any flavor I want, no preservatives, organic if I am feeling picky - blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, kiwi, applesauce, peach, plum...yum...yum.
    And this summer, if I can keep the birds away, there will be figs! Dancing a little jig...
    :p

Karen in Virginia
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    :sunglasses:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    23,000 steps
    217 minutes of dog walking
    line dance class

• pipcd34
    Options
    !
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Go, Pip, go. bike-riding-smiley-emoticon.gif

Heather, so happy for your DS also. dog-looking-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

Becca, I don’t think you were whining at all. OMG I’m so thankful it’s something so easily taken care of. ((((Hugs)))) to both of you. I know this had to scare you half out of your mind. “And all shall be well”!

KathyH, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. If you come every day you will feel like you are at home with good friends. It sounds like you have lots of varied interests so you should never be at a loss for things to share. Please sign each post with your name and a location, general or specific.

Debbie, congrats on the weight loss. Wow I thought it was terrible when my DD moved all the way across the country but yours is making a serious move. Good for you on handling it well. That is definitely more healthy for us than getting upset about it.

Katla, I hope you find the clothes you are looking for. I needed some tops to wear out and about. Not dressy but nicer than a t-shirt. I went to Belk’s and hit their sale of buy one get two free. The price was higher than I would have paid for one but getting three was a deal. Now I feel set for the summer.

Lgilchrist, first of all, do you have a name we can call you? On needing more protein, do you like meat? I happen to love it so that’s easy for me. I eat lots of chicken. I often have some (usually boiled) on a salad for lunch. I do eat red meat also but not as often because of the calories. I have roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus) with my meat for dinner. Don’t get discouraged, just take baby steps to get where you want. Add or delete one thing at a time and you’ll eventually get there.

VickiNE, sending prayers your way. Sorry the report was positive but at least you know and can do something about it.

Jane, what a beautiful baby on your profile picture!!!

Niki, sending prayers and good thoughts for your nephew. I am the same way with size; a 14 in pants but still a large in tops and sometimes an XL. And I was never big up top.  Good for you on the 14 pants and on your job.

Becca, some of your concoctions are absolutely ingenious. I’m impressed.

Lisa, so glad you got things worked out with your system. I think it’s so important to know our own bodies and am often surprised at how many people don’t. (((Hugs)))

Pip is random just in case any of you didn’t know.

Heather, so glad you are enjoying the cruise.

Kim, glad you were able to get the embroidery machines adjusted. I can’t even adjust the bobbin on a simple sewing machine.

Mary, Mary, Mary, so happy to see you here!!! I’m so excited that you are feeling so well and we are thrilled to have you back but don’t overdo if the computer isn’t good for you. (((((((Hugs)))))))

Joyce, I’m glad Charlie will get checked out tomorrow. I hope there aren’t any problems.

Tjsfriend, welcome. Please tell us a little more about yourself to help us get to know you. Also please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I have been so busy that I got behind and I can’t seem to catch up. The faster I read, the faster ya’ll post. I love it!!! I’ll get there one of these days but heading for bed now. Tomorrow DH and I are going to the beach. It has been such wonderful weather the past two days with blue skies and low humidity. My kind of weather. I’m sending good thoughts for all of you and wishing each of you a happy and healthy day.
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Michele. Thanks for the concern. No damage. Just really hard to get up.

Debbie
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    DJ (Janet #1) - can I go?? Can I, huh, huh?

You probably won't see this until you are back from the beach (:

Janetr (#2) OKC
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Katla49
    Options
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Mary: Cheering along with the others. So happy you are better and back with us.

Larisa: Congrats. I may be in your area towards the end of June. Let me know if you'd like to meet up.

Barbie: I also have an appointment in Chimacum. Is that near you? Love the photo of Bernie <3<3<3

Heather and Penny: Learning so much from you both. :) Crossing my fingers for spectacular weather and ideal birdwatching.

I'm having a week where it seems like everything is breaking. Had an unexpected plumbing repair in the Hawaii condo and a big fix on our car. Tomorrow Mars the cat has his physical, and I sure hope we don't have any surprises there! Like you, Katla, I really hope to have this furbaby around for many years. He is DH's best friend.

Past my bedtime...signing off.
    Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills