WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: Congratulations on sorting out your embroidery machine! WTG! :bigsmile:

Mary from MN: Welcome back! It is so great to see your post!!! :flowerforyou: Shep has grown a LOT & he's turned into a very handsome dog. :smiley:

Joyce: I'll be sending good thoughts for a productive appointment for Charlie tomorrow. :heart:

My DH is having shoulder pain and weakness today and he's worried that it is caused by calcuim deposits in a neck joint. I hope it turns out to be a temporary problem and/or something that can be handled without surgery.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I had to do a serious deload due to my illness but I am working my way back up.

Squats 1x5x55/65/75, 5x5x85
    OHP 1x5x45/50/55/60, 5x5x50
    DL 1x5x135

Kettlebell swing 20x10x30

Walk 7.5 miles

Joyce - thanks! I will keep you and Charlie in my prayers. That is a lot to go through for both of you!

Janetr - thanks! I'm really impressed with your weight lifting commitment! You are doing amazing!

Katla - thanks, Shep is a life saver! He makes me smile! I'm sorry to hear about DH. I use to have those issues and they are very painful. Weight lifting helps me with my bones and joints.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you all <3
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Mary, good to see you back! And Shep remains adorable!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Hey Mary! Fantastic to see you! :flowerforyou:

Joyce - Sending healing thoughts for Charlie.

Well my friends..... the Leknes (Lofoten Islands) stop had to be cancelled at the last minute this morning. The wind was blowing too fast off the berth for the captain to dock the ship. We got up extra early, had an early breakfast and I was just cleaning my teeth when the announcement came. So our RIB trip is off, which I was really looking forward to. DH is bitterly disappointed. Last night the ship was pitching and rolling so the dancing was cancelled and it was impossible to sleep as I was rolling around in my bed. I will have to do some exercises in my cabin as walking round the deck is out. I can do some stretching and strengthening and use my bands.
    The forecast for Friday at Longyearbyen is light winds, so all should be well for meeting up with Penny. :D

It was wonderful to get up this morning when the butler brought us our tea, draw back the curtains and see the sun glinting on the snow on the Lofoten Islands' peaks. A rainbow too. :D I really am here in the Arctic Circle, even if I can't land. Might go up and see how the whale watchers are getting on.

The Chef's Dinner was a nice occasion, but nothing special in the cooking. We enjoyed ourselves and found a woman to talk to for a change. So far we've come across two couples that we feel comfortable with. Most people on board are completely different to us and not only old in age, but old in spirit. Good job we like each other's company! :laugh:

So, we are very disppointed about the cancellation, but we will cope. I'm now going to do some exercises. :D

Love from Heather off the Lofoten Islands.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @exermom Michele in NC I know I am not Becca :/ , but you could use fruit leather in your fruit bars. I make it in the food dehydrator for the grandkids but you don't have to have a dehydrator, it just makes it easier. No sugar, and you can control the moisture that way. Or you can just buy it.

@fanncy0626 Mary from Minnesota We haven't met yet, but I have to tell you this group has been fretting over your absence. A lot! So I am glad you are back, too, to soothe the angst. Gosh, I have never seen such a bunch of "I got your back" types in all my life!

@tjsfriend Hi! I am a newby too. I found out that some of the women on this thread have been communicating and even traveling to visit each other for more than 5 years, and have a very special bond. I am so glad to see another newby...I think it's going to take awhile before I am "one of the gang", but I am convinced it will be worth the effort. This is a wonderfully supportive group.

I am on an optimal health journey that has started with weight loss, exercise, and better sleep hygiene. Since April 14th I have lost 13 lbs, with 87 lbs to go. I Jazzercise 5 hours a week, and have joined a couple of the groups on MFP for weight lifting because I am interested in lifting heavy weights a couple of times a week to maintain muscle as I lose fat. I eat a relatively low carb diet most days (50-60g net carbs) because that's what works best for my body. Logging my food is essential to my success. I am seeing a bariatric endocrinologist who knows his stuff, and will help me tweak as I go along. I am already learning about maintenance, because a few years ago I lost 90lbs and subsequently gained it back. I am 61, a grandmother of a boy & a girl, and "mom" to 3 Yorkies and a Coton, although I am secretly a cat freak. There is some stress in my life, but I can put it all in perspective by catching up on this thread daily and seeing how these strong women cope with their medical, mental, and emotional challenges, the illnesses and other difficulties of their family members, pets in distress, moral dilemmas, etc., as well as their triumphs and moments to savor. It is nothing short of uplifting. I feel so fortunate to have stumbled upon this thread. If you haven't already done so, remember to click on the star just above the top post on any page. That way you can find it again.

Tell us more about you, please!

Karen in Virginia
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Too bad about the RIB boat trip, Heather. I hope your captain will keep the ship to the east of the Lofoten archipelago as long as possible, not just to avoid the wind off the open ocean, but also to keep you closer to the shore. Those islands are spectacular!

I've found a website that shows the latest reported position of Heather's ship. Here it is, in case anybody else would like to check up on her progress: cruisemapper.com/Saga-Pearl-II-location?imo=8000214
    /Penny, a bit closer than Heather to the8_2_66v.gif
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Lagopus Penny that is such a cool link, I love that! B) I see that Heather UK is near the Lofoten Archipelago, and that Longyearbyen is much farther north on Svalbard in the Arctic Ocean. I would love to see that terrain and especially the waterfowl (Barnacle Geese and Red Phalarope, etc). Ooooh! This is so exciting! Thanks for posting this!

The Saga Pearl II looks just a little larger than the one my mom and son and I took to the Galapagos in 1990. I loved the smaller cruise ship, you get to know everybody, including the crew members, not to mention the juvenile Red Footed and Blue Footed Boobies. <3 We took breathtaking RIB excursions to the uninhabited and sparsely inhabited islands which were not-to-be-forgotten, so I am really disappointed for Heather UK and her hubby about the cancellation of the Leknes excursion. Darn weather.

Karen in Virginia
  • Lagopus
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Karen, if you want terrain, I offer this webcam, which gives a 360 degree view of the town where I live. Now we've got midnight sun so it doesn't matter what time of day you check in. longyearbyen.kystnor.no/

When Heather gets here, I can absolutely guarantee barnacle geese, little auks, arctic terns, kittiwakes, eider ducks, snow buntings, and a wide selection of gulls and waders (I'm not very good at distinguishing between all of those). For the past week we've been keeping an eye on a dependable site for phalaropes, both grey (=red) and red-necked, and king eiders, and have spotted some every time we've gone there. I put the likelihood of finding them on Friday at well over 75%. Ptarmigans are slightly more iffy (maybe 50%). If we're really lucky, we'll spot an ivory gull. They used to hang out at the dog yards but have now become so rare it's been a couple years since I saw one.

Mary - Glad to hear you're feeling better and tickled pink you're posting again. That's an awfully big stick Shep is carrying. Tell me, does he walk softly? :laugh:

/Penny
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Can't wait to look at the webcam, Penny, vicarious thrill. Thank you.

Karen in Virginia

p.s. I looked at the webcam. Spectacular. And the KHO would be a destination in itself. Thanks for the visual candy to start my day!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Wednesday!
    MARY!Welcome back!!! We missed you! Glad you are feeling better! Don't let that beautiful pup work you too hard! Penny stole my joke about Shep's stick! ;)
    It has been cool and rainy these past few days and I haven't been able to get a bike ride or walk in. I don't mind walking/riding in warm rain, but cold rain? No thanks. I have been trying yoga. Doesn't do a whole lot for me, I am afraid. I see how it could help with strength and flexibility; but I need something high energy to work out "the demons" so to speak.
    Welcome to the new girls!
    Love and hugs to all! <3
  • Lagopus
    edited June 2016
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Penny stole my joke about Shep's stick! ;)
    KJ - That's the advantage of living in a more easterly time zone B)

Had an email from my daughter yesterday evening that they had arrived home safely. She commented "It is very dark here."

/Penny

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies-
    Up and attem....I have had 2 cups of tea and getting ready for work 9-6 today and tomorrow off but have to go to Mary's dad's wake tomorrow night gonna pick up 2 cards send one to Mary and bring one to the wake for Family
    Mary-so wonderful to have you back..we have missed you and Shep has gotten so big..so glad you are feeling better..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    t
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

WELCOME BACK fanncy !!!!!!!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :):)Mary, I am so happy to see you and Shep posting here again.

:)Kim, your lavender is huge and beautiful...thanks for posting the pictures

:)<3Joyce, sending hugs to you and Charlie

:)Michele, you seem to have great skill at getting along peacefully with all sorts of difficult people...I admire you for that

<3 Barbie
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    mary so glad you are feeling better! SHEP looks awesome!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    NYKARENn <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC – Glad you haven’t seen the snake since cutting his hiding place down to a minimum.

Joyce – You have every right to ask for a ‘male’ nurse to be sent since it would make your DH uncomfortable to be checked in a private place.

Mary from Minnesota – Glad to see you back.

Welcome to all the 'newbies'

Lenora