WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla – I drive a Honda made in the USA! I used to drive a Mercedes; and, if I had been driving any other car when I pulled out to pass a car as a man was pulling his ‘new’ Chevy truck headed my direction; I would have been killed. I rolled my first Honda; after an apparent seizure which I had purchased from my sister and brother-in-law; I’ve always felt safe in my Hondas … now on my 3rd. This one especially, when I wrecked it back on May 3rd. How cars are made really has a lot to do with injuries or death. Inside a Mercedes ... they all looked alike, no thrills ... just very functional.

As for the shirts shrinking; if you wash them in ‘cold’ water and hang them up to dry rather than putting them in the dryer; you should not have to worry.

Lost 2 lbs. this past 2-week period. YEAH! It is because I am now able to 'exercise' in the pool. Did it for 1 hour ad 45 minutes.

Lenora
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Went to PT today. My fast twitch muscle fibers work well. those are the ones that contract quickly but don't last. My slow twitch muscle fibers don't work so well. They are slower to contract but supposed to last longer. Mine do NOT!! LOL Goal is to train those buggers to hang on longer. And then the PT kept lowering the line for relaxation on the biofeedback. When I relax she wants the graph to go below a certain line. Well I am a very visual person so I think this should work.

Heather - Glad you are enjoying your cruise.

Katla - Congratulations on finding new tops.

We have some lavender growing out by the gazebo but it has not bloomed yet.

Pip - Yogi has the most expressive face. What a guy!!

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.14min, 15.1amph, 131mhr, 2.5mi = 95c
    OTHER - 40min, track= walk/slow jog, bosu ball, scissors, various, 139mhr, 190c
    ride gym 2 wk, new route via yakima loop- 49.44min, 13.9amph, 126ahr, 150mhr, 11.5mi = 450c
    ride wk 2 hm- 53.29min, 11.5amph, 125ahr, 152mhr, 10.2mi = 463c
    total cal 1203
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy tues.Beautiful day out.No humidity.
    Hugs to all
    jane
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    @barbiecat I see a kitty in the mirror watching you take the picture of the dogs! <3

Karen in Virginia

:) That's Bernie, our sweet cat who loves his sisters (the dogs) and his mom and dadbmcqxql26cf3.jpg
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @barbiecat Awwww!! I love Bernie! And he's purrrr-ty!

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    B)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did Kathe Kaehler Basics DVD for an hour. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kathy Smith's Fat Burning DVD.

Becca - you sure are a great baker. To think something like that up! Question: I have a recipe for a fruit bar. I thought I'd be real smart and use only the all fruit spread. Only that wasn't thick enough. It did have good flavor, tho. Anyway, if I were to use jam that has added sugar. Is there some way I can make it thicker but not have all the sugar?

Cleaned for Mexican Train tonight. Vacuumed out the spa and the steps to the pool, vacuumed the house, got the Mexican Train things out, made these lasagna cups for Mexican Train. Vince bought a 8lb bag of ice at McD's, I took the train cake out of the freezer so there is room for the ice. Think I'll go in the pool for a bit now.

I'm back, took a shower, emptied the dishwasher, got Vince's clothes in the wash

Lisa - I totally agree with you. A while ago I knew something was wrong, I didn't know what. How I insisted that I have a bone density scan! Honestly, I think the MD ordered it mainly to shut me up. Was she ever surprised that it came back that I had osteoporosis! She kept saying over and over "we don't recommend that (BDS) for women who haven't gone thru menopause". But I just knew the way my ankle gave out that something wasn't right. So I totally agree with you. So glad you're feeling better

diane - welcome! Scooter is so cute!

Heather - swimming makes me starving, too. I don't know what it is. When I take the deep water aerobics class, I can usually drink 54oz of water. Then I have to come into the locker room and have a piece of fruit, I can't even wait to get to the vending machine -- which is a good thing

Lenora - we haven't seen the snake in 2 days so hopefully it's gone on to other pastures

Becca - in the Navy, does your son get a college education or credit for a degree? I'm surprised that large ladies in a nudist colony had self esteem issues. I remember when I took a belly dancing class. Some of the ladies were BIG but they didn't seem to have any problem at all.

Linda - if that snake was in the house, I would be out of the house --- and fast!

Had Mexican Train here tonight. I realized after everyone got here that the gal who usually has it didn't give me the rotation cards. I tell you, I know that she's somewhat of a control freak. She's probably really upset that she can't host, she always wants to at her house. I remember once a few years ago she had to go to a wedding and people wanted to play so I said that we could play at my house. She didn't like that one bit. This time she just said last month "no Mexican Train for the next two months" instead of "I can't be here the next two months, can someone else host?". Last time I hosted I found out that people keep their dominoe sets at her house. This time she only gave me exactly what I asked for. I totally forgot the cards and she didn't give them to me. If it had been me, I probably would have said something like "thanks so much for hosting, here's the supplies. Let me know if there's anything else you need" But she isn't going to do that, and I know it. Fortunately, another gal plays bridge and she was able to run off the computer the rotation. Actually, I prefer the way she did it, you put your score on the paper instead of on this pad. To me, it was much better.

The gal who ran the rotation cards off for me is someone who likes to be in charge, that's just her thing. She's a real nice gal. It was interesting, she gathered all the papers and divided the money. That's just her thing so I let her do it.

You know, the only dessert we had was the cake I made and then I had some mint M&M's in the pantry that I wanted to use up. I'm going to give the one guy at ceramics some of the cake, some of the lasagna cups that were left over and the rest of the M&M's (to be honest, I really don't want them in the house). This guy and his wife usually come to Mexican Train. She has trouble big time getting around. She needs a knee replacement but she's VERY overweight and she had a heart attack so they won't operate for at least a year. They're really nice people. She's very overweight yet whenever she's invited someplace, she ALWAYS brings a dessert. Every time at Mexican Train she brings a dessert. Really, the only time I've ever was when I brought a pie because it was her husband's birthday and then something for Vince's birthday.

barbie - Bernie is so sweet. What a lovely pic of the lavender!

Tomorrow is the general meeting for the Newcomers, then probably home. In the evening is ceramics. I'm thinking that I'd like to stop at Lowe's foods on the way home and get the items on sale.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    s
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Just wanted to drop in and say hi. Nothing much happening around here. Charlie has his appointment with surgeon tomorrow. He does have a little hole in his lower incision and has a lot of drainage through it. So we will see what happens. I have warned Charlie that home health care may be called in and a female might be called in to check on this area where it is difficult for a man to have a woman check on.

Have fun Heather, good luck Becca, welcome all new women here. See you tomorrow.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    vianlhqu19gg.jpg

this is some of my lavender - it comes in many many varieties and the one I like best for crafting is
    Lavandula x intermedia Grosso
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    rc97omtmcs6z.jpg

a close up of the flower
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Hi gals,

Lisa – glad you are doing better! And we are with you!

Heather – sounds like you AND DH are having fun!

Love the pup and kitty pictures! I would love to go to a lavender festival, I have made lavender cookies and they are quite good. It is a fun flavor.

So this is a bit long winded and technical but for a week or so my embroidery machines have been driving me nuts! The embroidery was coming out sloppy with loops on the top/ loops on the bottom… just a mess! I knew it was tension problems but it felt like they were out of the blue and with 12 spools of thread on one machine, 15 on the other and 2 tension adjustors for each spool and one for each bobbin – I was pulling my hair out. It took a few days but it dawned on me that I had opened a new box of bobbins (these machines take pre-wound bobbins) and they were a different brand. So I called the supplier who is also where my tech works – and talked to both of them, yes the bobbins are different, but not that different (yeah, right ) The tech came up with a way to test each spool and adjust them – you embroider the word FOX in both a script and a block as it shows the tension and all the angles – vertical, horizontal and diagonal. So I stitched out the word FOX about 100 times yesterday adjusting after each full stitch out… It was a bit crazy making but the machines are working flawlessly today!!!! Yeah!!!

Today was a gardening client that is always very heavy work and she is about 35 miles farther inland than I am so the climate is hotter, I bring plenty of water, but after 3 ½ hours I was done in… I don’t really mind, she is a very sweet person and sends me home with bounty from the garden, but I never get as much done in the afternoon after a morning working for her. So even now the machines are running behind me as I write you all, trying to get caught up.

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation, visiting with vickie
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I have decided to check in early because I am feeling so amazing. The medicine is working wonders. I no longer am an insomniac! Yeah! It took a couple of months but I haven't felt this good in over two years.

I really miss being a part of this group of friends! Thanks so much for all the well wishes and support that Barbie kindly passed on to me. Barbie I really appreciate all the effort you went through to make me feel a part of this group. I appreciate the personal letters that you sent me. They came when I needed them the most. I really thought I was dying. When I signed off I could barely crawl out of bed to do my exercises and then I had to rest periodically to make it through my workout. I pushed myself to take Shep on a daily 5 mile walk even though I had to rest at every bench.

ji89afvxvh1f.jpeg

He loves to carry Big sticks!

I'm going to try to check in here daily. I'm still taking my medicine so I will have to skim but I want to be able to give all of you the love and support you have given me! Thanks to Barbie for updates on all of your lives I know many are in need of (((Hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh Mary, so good to see a post from you!!!!! And your ever so handsome Shep. Do only what you feel you can but so glad you are feeling as good as you are. And yes, there is nothing like Barbie.

Tonight I was helping Charlie take a sponge bath. I knew about what is going on with his butt incision but he has been telling me that he just feels so much gas. So he is standing there and I can see his belly and he is pointing out this big rock hard area around most of his abdominal incision. I have no idea what it wrong but I am glad his appointment is tomorrow morning.

Joyce, a little worried in Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Kim - thanks for the beautiful pictures of the lavender. I would love to taste a lavender cookie. Can you smell the lavender in the cookie as you eat it? You are also a very busy woman and a "jack of all trades". I wouldn't begin to know where to start with all you do. You go girl. :)

Janetr OKC
  • tjsfriend
    tjsfriend Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined myfitnesspal (less than a week ago) and I am figuring everything out. I found this group and would like to join all of you. I am 62 years old, retired (disabiltiy) art teacher. Thanks for all the motivational posts!!
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mary - WELCOME BACK!!! You have been so missed, it is wonderful to hear from you with such good news on how you are feeling. Shep is getting so big, I love his big stick :) I have continued with my 3 days a week of weight resistance training and 3 days of cardio. My next door neighbor is working on a degree in senior physical therapy, concentrating on recuperation from stroke, heart attack, surgery etc. and has asked me to come work out with her as part of her class training, so I will start that on Thursday. Again so so glad to have you return.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    tjsfriend wrote: »
    Hi, I just joined myfitnesspal (less than a week ago) and I am figuring everything out. I found this group and would like to join all of you. I am 62 years old, retired (disabiltiy) art teacher. Thanks for all the motivational posts!!

Welcome to this great group of supportive, caring ladies. I'm 66 and retired. I had gastric bypass surgery 2 1/2 years ago and lost 125# and now getting into exercise and strength training work to keep the weight off and daily logging all my food and adhering to my calorie allowance. We have ladies here who have a lot to loose, a little to loose and those who have been maintaining for years. Tell us a little more about your goals for joining MFP and where you live, general area if you wish, and sign your posts with a name you would like to be called so we can easily identify and respond to you. Glad to have you join us.

Janetr OKC