WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    penny. I am smiling at your post. I will take your positive interpretation/translation and run with it! Lots to feel new about :) I may be sleep deprived but I am moving forward and the next two days will only make me stronger. NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    well I am up and having my first cup of tea.. slept until 4:45 and I passed out before 7, yesterday was just a bear at work and today will be no better..from 9-6 will be flat out with patients and probably wont even get a break for lunch. Mary(the troll) will be out the rest of the week as her father has passed away.. so the 2 people that can hold the fort down up in the front leave early...so we had to finaggle the hours so someone is up there... as I am assisting, if it is only one Dr then I can go up front,but we have 2 drs 3 out of the 4 days during the week so I am needed there
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Happy Tuesday! Just wanted to take a moment for a couple of shout outs:
    Janet- Love the photo! You look gorgeous/glowing!
    Becca- LOL! I think the "secret life of nudists" sounds like a great title for your memoirs! :D
    Kim- I am not a big sweet/ice cream eater (my weakness is the chips), but one thing I do for my daycare kids and sometimes if I crave "sweet" things. I use my ice cube trays to make bite sized snacks. Some times it is a piece of fruit frozen in yogurt, some times fruit in chocolate; one time I did make bite sized ice cream sandwiches: I put a bit of a soft granola bar in the bottom of the "cube", then a tsp of vanilla ice cream, then a bit of granola bar, then topped it with melted chocolate. They pop right out of the trays and it usually works to curb my craving. I put mini popsicle sticks in them for the kids to eat them without getting too messy. They usually get two and are very happy that they got "seconds" on dessert!
    Irene-I enter all of my food using the "calorie counting" method; but I have a high protein menu that I follow (for the most part) that counts macros. I eat four "meals" a day, one of them is usually either a protein shake or yogurt shake; the other three meals have to contain 35-39 macros of protein (that is about 4 1/2 oz of meat, or 1 1/2 cups of greek yogurt or cottage cheese (4% milk fat)). The macro count differs for each individual based on their weight, age, and body type. If I follow the high protein diet to the T and don't eat off the menu, I will lose each week. It is hard to stick to, though, as is any diet. Remember that it takes 6 weeks to form a habit. A new way of eating/exercising is potentially a habit. You can do this! Katla or NYKaren had a good idea of measuring! Measure everything. I use my digital scale and measuring cups and pre-portion my meals. I also set aside a couple of hours on the weekend, and then on Wednesday, to prep meals for the next four days. It really helps to hold me accountable if I know I have the food prepped and not eating it would mean throwing it away. I HATE to throw food away.
    Pip - Ummmm....what is with the alphabet? I noticed that you are typing M-N-P, etc....does it have meaning?
    Love and hugs to all! Kiddos arriving!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Morning... thanks all... I am feeling MUCH better.

The diagnosis of gastritis was completely off, but I'm OK with it, because the treatment given resolved the issues anyway, which was my hope when I went in. When a doctor's not familiar with gastric bypass patients, they tend to decide it's something "going around," and she'd already made that decision before she even walked in. Again, big shrug. I knew my gut was shutting down below a blockage because my intestines, when working correctly, pretty much always make intermittent sounds like a ticked-off cat. You know that low-voiced growl kitties make when they're about to jump in the middle of another cat? Yeah, that's a constant. My husband often talks back to it.

Plus, you should pardon the TMI, I had completely stopped farting. I know my own body, and knew that something was blocking the path to the intestines... just couldn't get it to dislodge. The acid drove me to go ahead and go, but was just one more symptom. Like I said, I knew it was resolved with the first growl from the lower regions, and that was more than an hour before they discharged me. Huge relief. Had I not felt it was resolving, I would have made a big stink--I came close to dying in Oregon because my intestines had migrated through a tiny hole left behind after the surgery, then twisted. Often called a "strangulated hernia," but actually, the term is Petersen's hernia. Recognized late complication from gastric bypass, happened to find a doctor who believed his own instincts and my symptoms and opened me up in time to get it fixed. I was lucky--but it made me realize I have to fight for what I need from doctors if necessary. We all do.

Yesterday, all I wanted was salt and more salt, which tells me I had also gotten quite dehydrated--often a big worry for those who've had gastric bypass. The way they rebuild things, it's often tough to get in enough liquids. Plus, I can't just drink water without it being altered in some way, like tea, coffee, drink packets. Plain water feels like someone punches me just below the diaphragm with each swallow. And water with lemon or lime in it feels like pouring acid down my throat, too... I will drink plain water in a pinch, so it's not impossible, it's just uncomfortable as all get-out, so I tend to avoid it.

But, I kept everything down yesterday without issues, and took a break and a three-hour nap in the afternoon to get my feet back under me. My boss completely understood--and was actually on her way back from Austin for her every-six-week infusion for psoreatic arthritis. Terrific lady, and very relaxed about stuff like that. She knows I'll put in the hours to get the paper out, whatever it takes, so doesn't get too het up about it.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book, but really appreciated all the support. Was feeling pretty alone, with the DH out at the ranch and no intentions of waking him up unless I got much worse. I was nowhere near dying, just making sure I got the situation resolved before I got too dehydrated to make sensible decisions.

Love y'all--even when I don't reply individually, you're all in my heart and on my mind. Thank you for returning that tenfold.

Lisa in West Texas
    Ticking right along the overachiever highway once more
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

kjlamore- no meaning... just being me... random
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Lisa - So glad things have resolved. <3

lgilchrist - I've never bothered about macros, but lost 57 lbs by counting calories. I tend to eat protein a lot anyway, mainly fish, lots of veggies, some fruit and cut back on carbs. I am a salt craver rather than sugar, so that helps. For lunch today I had skate, veggies, and followed it with a salad, no dressing, but with a hard boiled egg and a tiny piece of smoked trout. All very yum.

I've done my swimming and will go for a mile around the deck later. We have a Bridge visit first. Tonight we have been invited to a special Chef's Dinner. A calorie explosion, no doubt, but it's only once.
    This morning was a long talk on the logistics of getting to the old Russian mining towns near Penny. We have to board a tender and do it all in relays. We are waiting for our exact time.
    Last night DH and I danced our socks off and my knee is feeling it today. But we really shook our booty, often the only ones on the dance floor, jiving etc. I started by dancing with the professionals as DH doesn't ballroom dance, but we ended up giving it our all. :DB)<3 One of the staff came over and thanked us!

OK, off to the Bridge!

Good luck Becca!

Heather in Norway.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    qc11wcns0fge.jpg

:)janetr, you asked about lavender---here is one of the plants in our front yard...it grows well where I live but we don't do anything with it except enjoy it...there are lavender farms around here that make lotions and sachets and ice cream and all sorts of other interesting things

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lisa - It surprises me that a craving for salt should be a symptom of being dehydrated. My logical physiologist's brain says it would be exactly the opposite when you've got too little water in your system. I guess gastric bypass messes with your natural sensors so you have to relearn, intellectualize your food and water intake so you know when to ignore what your body is telling you and when you need to pay extra close attention. Interesting!
    Last night DH and I danced our socks off and my knee is feeling it today. But we really shook our booty, often the only ones on the dance floor, jiving etc. I started by dancing with the professionals as DH doesn't ballroom dance, but we ended up giving it our all. :dizzy:

Heather - I interpret that as a sign that your DH's seasickness is a thing of the past. :sweat_smile: I just checked the weather forecast for the west coast of Norway and you've got some wind coming in tomorrow (Wednesday) but after that things calm down. It looks as though you should have only light winds on the Barents Sea north to Bjørnøya.
    /Penny getting ever more excited at the8_2_66v.gif

Added later: Oh, Barbie, your post roused such vivid images in my mind! I can clearly see the stand at Seattle's Pike Place Market where the lavender people sell their wares - usually out toward the end of the northwest wing on street level. All those gorgeous products... Not to mention the scents! Thanks for reminding me. :flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Morning again before I am off to work...something is a little off with me...I had 9 hours sleep and still feel exhausted.. with kidney disease ya never know what crops up,hoping it's not anemia. :s
  • dianeinmaine
    dianeinmaine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new. Back into Myfitnesspal after 4 years. Wish me luck. My dog Scooter is my walking partner.k8i7rzwv6uk4.jpg
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Barbie, I had no idea lavender did so well in NW Washington! It is a Mediterranean plant, and they say it needs good drainage, so I thought it preferred not being watered much! I guess it likes LOTS of water, but good drainage so it doesn't sit in it. My plants are no where as lovely as yours, not gentle mounds but scraggles. I may have to rethink where they are in the yard...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Barbie gorgeous!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    qc11wcns0fge.jpg

:)janetr, you asked about lavender---here is one of the plants in our front yard...it grows well where I live but we don't do anything with it except enjoy it...there are lavender farms around here that make lotions and sachets and ice cream and all sorts of other interesting things

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

Barbie - thank you for the picture, beautiful. I recall last year, when I had just found our group, you told of going to the lavender festival two or three days and having some of the ice cream. I'd love to see all the lavender. :)

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Penny: Thanks for letting us know that the cruise ship that had problems near you was NOT Heather's ship. I thought/hoped that was the case, but your confirmation is a relief. :flowerforyou:

KJLaMore: Your ice cube treats are a brilliant idea for you and the little ones. :star:

Lisa: I'm glad you're okay and feeling better. :smiley:

Heather: Congratulations for you and Dh having a great time dancing. :bigsmile:

Barbie: Your lavender plant is lovely. Is it English Lavender?

I'm taking the car to the VW dealer today to get a new fog light put in. Our old one broke. I plan to stop and shop on the way back. I have loads of pants but only a few summer tops and I want a few more. DH is staying home this time, so itis just me. He is a great shopping partner and will be missed.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Yogi is saying hey there to scooter
    hlgkzn0is3ojw.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Morning peeps-
    Took a slightly different route to work this morning. It was longer, not as hilly and so I was faster in getting here.

Later peeps
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    I am constantly starving at the moment! Swimming often does that to me, but I only did 25 minutes! Did my mile walk around a very windy deck. :D
    You sweet treat ladies should have seen the strawberry tea this afternoon. A vision of pink, red and more pink! The catering is amazing, but I don't know what they do with the leftovers. Maybe the crew eat them. There were cakes galore, tarts and mousses. I had a savoury scone and some plain strawberries. The butler has just brought us canapés! Won't be having my usual aperitif though - saving myself for the Chef's Special Dinner.
    Swell is getting up. I have taken a pill, so has DH. Hope he'll be OK.

Lots of love, Heather, off the coast of Norway, heading for the Arctic Circle.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Barbie, I had no idea lavender did so well in NW Washington! It is a Mediterranean plant, and they say it needs good drainage, so I thought it preferred not being watered much! I guess it likes LOTS of water, but good drainage so it doesn't sit in it. My plants are no where as lovely as yours, not gentle mounds but scraggles. I may have to rethink where they are in the yard...

Mediterranean plants do very well here, in general ("here" being Western WA...except for the rainy part of the coast).
    We're traditionally considered "rainy" all winter, but our inches of actual rainfall are not high, and it's dry all summer. I have several varieties of lavender in my tiny, downtown rooftop garden. I love it!

I have visited the lavender farms around Sequim; they are marvelous! I never heard so many happy bees. :love:

Larisa in Seattle