WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    KarenLanders, Allyson, Carol GA, KetoneKaren, thank you ladies, you're all so encouraging and I truly appreciate it <3

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Barbie, that just sounds like so much fun. I've never thot my knees were in good enough shape to try line dancing but after having both replaced and doing weight resistance training now, perhaps I could give it a try. I know they have classes at the YMCA I belong to.

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Male dogs "humping" each other is about dominance, not sex or "love." I don't like to see it and actually haven't in a lot of years. It sounds like Charilie is doing better and the surgery was a success. Now you have a big learning curve. I bet the two of you have it down quickly. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I've had acid reflux in my life and it is nasty enough, but this sounds excruciating. I hope your problem is resolved quickly. (((HUGS)))

Karen from Charlotte, Kathy from CT & Mavis Jones: Welcome. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Your dance workshop sounds great. :bigsmile:

I'm looking forward to yoga today & I'm grateful it is in the morning. We're looking at a high of 87 today, which is a bit cooler than yesterday but still too hot for me to want vigorous exercise. I'm generally a shade flower although we did take a couple of lovely walks yesterday, one before it got too hot and the other after it cooled a bit.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • lmiyoshi
    lmiyoshi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    New here! I'm 51 and have gained 20 pounds in these last two years without changing my eating/exercising behaviors. Thanks, menopause. So I guess now I need to change my behaviors. I'm inspired by a close friend who recently got back to goal with Weight Watchers. I've had success with them before, but want to try with MyFitnessPal instead this time (for various reasons, including cost).

Can I hang out here with you guys?
    Linda (also from Northern California)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Janet you look adorable!!!

Lisa, feel better soon!

I slept over 12 hours last night- was just exhausted last night from a busy Friday, Saturday and Sunday with my girls, grandkids, and the kitty.

Love to all. I read everything everyone writes! You are all such wonderful ladies!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps -
    It was a beautiful ride this morning, the weather was perfect!
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Miriam, thanks sweet lady. Glad you gog to catch up on some rest.

Janetr okc
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Trying to get back on track starting now. My 87 yo mother came to live with me in November, which I'm enjoying but it also affected me taking care of me. Throw in work schedules changes and well, you get the picture.... (weight gain, A1C numbers ticked up, etc.)

As of last week, I'm back to more normal work hours, so starting today I'm recommitting to taking care of myself. Heading back to Zumba tomorrow and planning to start back walking today or at least dig out my Walk Away the Pounds DVD. Back to healthy eating began at breakfast (protein smoothie).

Welcome Mavis keep coming back and tell us a little bit about yourself and what your would like to be called. We are a very chatty group and supportive. Karen from NY
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Jumping in and reading from this morning's post.
    IV in, zofran for the nausea, regulin for the acid, lab tests in progress, warm blanket over me (always nice to ER nurses, no matter how horrible I feel). Hope this resolves...

I so hope you get this sorted out soon, Lisa! I had problem with acid reflux because of gall bladder issues a while back, but nothing like as bad as yours! Keeping your mind busy is probably a good idea!

Karen NY That's such a dilemma! Courage! It's difficult being an honourable person in a dishonourable world!
    Miriam So sorry about your fur baby!
    Sarahj I use YouTube, fitnessblender and Darabee websites. Google them, they have lots of free programmes you can use at home.
    Becca thinking about you and praying for an improvement in DHs condition. :heart:
    Allie You're a blessing for that dear child. Keep on doing what you can for her! It will pay off in the end!
    Barbie glad to see that you are line dancing away! Yee! Hah!

80464089.png

star: :) Don't Worry! Be Happy! :):star:

Irish Terri hlzxxirc2vt2.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Chiming in with a cheer for Janetr! B) Nice top as well.

Had a great day out in the Norwegian countryside, boating down a fjord, passing a beautiful, raging, waterfall and having a farm cooked lunch. Sorry can't post pics with the rubbish wifi. The weather was glorious, with the fjords we passed like mirrors, so it was spectacularly beautiful. 2 scenes for the price of one. :D

We have been invited to a special Chef's Table tomorrow night. :D That should be fun. I did a mile round the sundeck when we got back and ran up and down the many floors of the boat. Then I used my exercise bands for my biceps. Not a lot, but better than nothing at all. I will swim again tomorrow, round and round the tiny pool, like a goldfish. :D

I am eating too much, but I'm making good choices. Very few carbs and a lot of fish. I will look like a smoked salmon soon. No desserts or cake. My main problem is the free alcohol, which I limit to the evening, but it creeps up on you. I should be stronger, but I enjoy it so much.
    DH felt better by the evening - a combination of the heavy swell dying down and the seasick pills. He managed to struggle into his dreaded suit and the even more dreaded tie (he refuses point blank to wear a bow tie ) ,but couldn't find his cuff links anywhere. He just rolled up his sleeves. I wore my yoga teacher's dress, which I adore, and high heels, so I was quite happy with my "look". Tonight is casual.
    Lots of love, Heather UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Second instalment of comments! I should really be out walking, but it is mid afternoon, and much too hot at the moment!

Heather UK Enjoying hearing about your cruise. We will be up that direction mid July for our Golden Wedding Anniversary Cruise, to look at the waterfalls, etc. They were frozen the last time we were up there!
    Glo love the Ali quote!
    Janet l6kix1izdmq6.jpeg

Lillian You will soon get the hang of retirement and wonder how you ever had the time to work! Lol!
    DJ I think I will copy those Six Ethics of Life!
    Janet You look stunning in that photo! Way to go!

Irish Terri odpoljvcozho.jpeg
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Bonnie, the only dog that ever bit me was a dachshund when I wasn’t doing anything to it. It just ran up to me and bit me in the calf. I have never liked them since.

Janetr, you look M a r v e l o u s !!! And I love the polka dots. I’m also sending prayers and best wishes for your grand son.

Anne, glad you didn’t have any damage from the storm. We expected something like that last night but it missed us, thankfully.

Larisa, I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you on the job. Smart lady to study up. On the calories screaming…is it the calories or the person lifting? LOL

Barbie, glad you had a good time. I don’t know how you can dance that late when you normally go to bed so early. Must be because it’s such fun.

Joyce, you said, “You girls make me smile and laugh so!!!! That's why i love you so much. All the talk of playing in the water, swimming, bouncing babies; water fights, dogs jumping into water over and over again. I just love it.” I’m wondering if I accidentally skipped a page because I don’t know what you are talking about. Either that or my memory is worse than I thought? I may go back and see if I did. Glad things seem to be improving with Charlie. Do you have to cut the hole in the bag? I don’t remember having to do that with my Dad’s but it’s been many years ago. I sure hope all that gets easier for both of you real soon.

IrishTerri, good to see you. Congrats on the loss.

Lisa, I sure hope your next post is about how well you are doing. I hate that you are having the problems and I know what that acid feels like. Ewwww

KarenNC, welcome. I moved to the beach from Charlotte. It’s a nice place. We are happy to have you with us. This is a wonderful group of ladies so come often for lots of support.

KarenNY, I know you want to stay out of it but sometimes that just isn’t a choice. Did you actually see your friend do what she did? Like you said, she is the one that stepped out of line and not you. Good luck.

Allie, I was just thinking about “The Troll” this morning and that you hadn’t mentioned her lately. I’m sure you are always pleased when she’s out of the office.

KathyConn, welcome. We’d love to have you hang out with us. Pull up a chair. Tell us a little more about yourself to help us get to know you. Come often and join right in.

Mavis, welcome. Good for you to put some attention back on yourself and your health. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

LindaCA, welcome. This is a great place to hang out so come often.

Miriam, glad you got a good night’s rest. I know you needed it.

Heather, so glad your DH is better and you are enjoying the cruise.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I have a meeting at the Women of the Moose tonight so thought I’d post now with the notes I’ve taken. We are predicted to have heavy thunder storms again so I hope they hold off until I get there. Have a wonderful day, my friends.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    109 miles ridden 291mi to go and I well b riding home so add another 10
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Lisa - sending very best wishes! <3

My elder son has posted on Facebook a photo of Hazel the greyhound chilling out on his back step. <3 I'm very happy for him. Flo is still at the kennels until her leg mends.
    I so want this to work for him.

Off to dinner. We have Norwegian specialities tonight. :bigsmile:

Heather UK
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Good day everyone. Busy busy here. No rain yet today but it's clouding up and sure to start soon. :angry: I am so over rain. Used to pray for it. Now I pray it stops for a day or two. Like I said before though I'll be wishing I had rain come July and August.

Kiln firing day. Always exciting days when I fire. Well, tomorrow will be exciting when I get to open it up and see the results. I'm filling the firing time by packing up my scuba gear. My gear usually comes in right at 50 pounds so I have to be careful what I take and what I leave. The good thing is I have very little clothing to take. Two shorts, two shirts, undies that easily wash out and dry and four swimsuits. That's it for the week of vacation. It's the wetsuits that weigh so much. lol It may be warmer water but I still wear the wetsuit, call me a wimp that ocean water gets cold after a couple of dives. We will be doing four dives a day at least, possibly more. My whole body will look like a prune by the end of the week. :smiley:

Lisa - get feeling better soon. Sounds like more than acid reflux but hope it is nothing more serious than that. You are so right, always be nice to the nurses. :smile:

Pip - you almost make me want to give up running and start pedaling. I don't want to deal with traffic in this city though. Even with our bike paths you end up riding with cars going past you at 70 mph. No thanks. I do have a 3 mile loop in my neighborhood I could do but that might get boring over and over again. I do ride but mostly with a kid trailer behind me pulling grandkids. Now that's a workout.

Back to packing,
    Marcelyn in Houston

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Exermom – If it is black, it might be a snake that will eat other snakes. I’m like you, I don’t think there is any snake, a good snake, unless it is a dead snake. We have timber rattlers around here; and, keeping those ‘black’ snakes around helps keep the timber rattlers eaten. If it has a definite triangle head – it is poisonous. If the head is about the size of its body and doesn’t have a triangle shaped head … he is probably harmless. Garden snakes are bright green and harmless, they blend into the grass and are generally pretty small. Just never put your hands into a wood pile without taking a shovel or something to beat the wood to scare off any snakes (or knock the pieces down and pick them up separately. We have a lot of ‘tall grass’ for fallow for the wildlife; and when I walk I take a stick with me; but, only walk on the mowed paths my husband makes. I’m more scared of spiders than a snake and will do a hopping dance if I run into a web while walking or riding in the golf cart. I’ve been bitten by enough spiders that I don’t want them around.
    If you don’t have one, a meat basher (not the real name); but, it looks sort of like a hammer with spikes on either side. Hammer the meat and it will be tenderer. My DDnL#1 says that Sam’s has the ‘best’ meat around here; you just usually need to cut it into more manageable pieces and freeze it. Their tenderloin and steaks are really good; the ground beef is not full of ‘fat’.

Bonnie824 – Chows are generally aggressive and usually about one particular person of what they deem is ‘they territory. Cracker is a “Jack-Rat”; face and facial expression like a JRT; legs like a Rat Terrier; she can run very fast and usually chases my DOS’s dogs (lag and Boston Bull Terrier) back to their house. I don’t know what she is that makes her tail curve around towards her body. She barks when Luna comes down to eat the cat’s food, we only give the cat a little bit of food when we feed her; but, if the dish is empty we’ll give her more. He probably gets 6 or 7 small bits of food a day; be he is also a ‘hunter’ and quite often leaves a ‘present’ at the door for us, to prove he is doing his job. The small breeds you mentioned are also called ‘yip-yap dogs’ because any noise around will send them into a barking mode. Mother had 3 dachshunds; at 3 different times. First one died from some ‘puppy disorder’ before old enough to give it to him. Then she had a black and brown one and a red one; not sure of the order; but, when she fed them pabulum (baby cereal) and put Mineral Oil in it, the dog put his snout in it, turned around and looked at her then turned back to the bowl and flipped it all across the kitchen. He also did not like being left alone at home. My Mother had a big collection of ‘hats’; and he went in and got her newest one, which was made of red feathers. When she came home, the feather were all over the house.

Janetr – Very pretty, wonderful outfit.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Janetr~ Glad you are spoiled by your husband. You are so due! I used to be a bit envious of people that had that kind of relationship. I just didn't see it in the cards for me. Then he got a new liver, and a new perspective on life. I realized how hard he fought to stay in this world with me, and it touched me. I look at our relationship with different eyes, appreciative eyes. Again feeling blessed.
    Becca
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Lisa – hope you get this resolved…. Sending good thoughts. Later you are back at the warehouse…. So if you are wired and twitchy, maybe decaf? So I would tell you to have a down day, but I think if you just try to get as much done in a day as an average person that would be a down day for you.

Karen – stay strong, tell the truth, answer the specific question asked – don’t elaborate.

Newbies – welcome
    Linda from N. Cal – a special welcome from another N. Cal Gal

Heather – so glad DH is feeling better. The scenery sounds fab.

I had a nice visit yesterday with my friend, and today is cool!!!! YEAH! It just hit 70 degrees out at 11:30am yesterday it was already 90…. Levi has a very loud bark and barks to say” hi”, to say “stay away”, to say “Mom come now! There is someone at the door” when the weather is good, I leave the front door open but the screen door locked and he will lay in the entry watching the world go by, well we have a new mail lady and she started up the path Levi started barking and she tried to run away and landed in the planter bed. I came out helped her up and she said she was fine, I hope she is! How can you be a mail person and be that afraid? I bet 80% of the houses on my street have dogs…and at 50lbs Levi is a small one. There is a great dane and a St. Bernard – those are big dogs.

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So rec'd a call this morning at 9 AM from our liver coordinator gal. She said we should be getting a call from someone scheduling the special endoscopy to remove the stone that is in his common bile duct.

Just now we rec'd a call from the scheduling nurse, so on Thursday at 11:30 AM we check in for the procedure. The scheduling nurse wanted us to come in on Wednesday to have a consultation with the anesthesiologist. Husband said that was a no go. To drive in 2 hrs for a 5 minute chat is ridiculous! Then 2 hrs back home to come the next day. Sheesh. She is checking to see if this can be over the phone kind of thing.

On the good side, I can attend the TOPS meeting on Wednesday. Looking forward to getting back on track with that. I know I have gained weight, but I know what I need to do to get back to where I was. I need to exercise in the pool, which we will do once he has healed.

Husband is trying to get with doctor regarding his leg. It needs to be x-ray'ed to see if its healing well. I guess the last time he called, earlier last week, the doctor was on vacation. Great. He left message with doctor that took his place in the mean time.

Husband has lost weight from this past months leg problems, and stone problem. I think I acquired his weight gain....sadly. His leg has lost a lot of muscle mass, (I can cinch the brace up tighter). One thing I have noticed is that he has a sickness odor about him. It is the jaundice I know, the fact that his bodily functions are way out of wack, (but I would never tell him about this). It's unsettling, and really brings back what I dealt with pre-transplant.

OK enough whining. He will get better after this blasted stone is removed. I will get better once we get back into a normal flow of life.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be exceedingly well. (my aunt Lois Heimark quote).

Positive thinking times ten.

Becca
    Oregon