Diet soda

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying it is good or bad to have if you want it, I am just saying water will always be the best choice.

Maybe for you.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Or what about the fact that it is like 95% water or that my drs and RDs have never said to avoid them.

95% per serving probably. That 5% of artificial sweeteners add up though, depending on how much diet soda you drink. While your doctors and registered dieticians never said to avoid them, I guarantee they will never recommend them either.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't drink it ... it's a deadly toxin
  • AnthonyX150X
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's neutral though and it's annoying how the anti diet soda people (not you but in general) ignore all science and act like it is a deadly toxin. Like most other things moderation is necessary.

I am not anti anything when it comes to foods and drinks. I think you took my comment as against soda, but I was referring to biggsterjackster's comment about why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists say diet soda is not the best choice simply because it is not. Water, by nature is what our body's need making it the best choice.

• Hornsby
    Options
    It's neutral though and it's annoying how the anti diet soda people (not you but in general) ignore all science and act like it is a deadly toxin. Like most other things moderation is necessary.

I am not anti anything when it comes to foods and drinks. I think you took my comment as against soda, but I was referring to biggsterjackster's comment about why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists say diet soda is not the best choice simply because it is not. Water, by nature is what our body's need making it the best choice.

Yes, our body needs to be hydrated, but no, you do not have to drink plain water to get there.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    In for another soda thread.

tumblr_m90sx7nXk51qic6uao1_500.gif
  • AnthonyX150X
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Yes, our body needs to be hydrated, but no, you do not have to drink plain water to get there.

You can be hydrated through other drinks, your right, but wouldn't you say plain water is the best choice to be hydrated?
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No, but if you're going to drink that much of something, it may as well be water, right? More beneficial in the long run! I have a Coke Zero probably once a week... nothing wrong with it.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

You can be hydrated through other drinks, your right, but wouldn't you say plain water is the best choice to be hydrated?

I think it's obvious.... Gatorade is your best choice .... haven't you seen thier commercials?? LOL
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've lost over 80lbs since July drinking diet sodas every day. As long as you don't have a medical condition that your doctor thinks may be affected by artificial sweeteners, drink it if you want to. It's not evil and it will not make you "gain weight or gain fat/reduce muscle".
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a Soft Drink in nearly 2 years.

1) I don't want the unwarranted Calories from the Sugars that are in them.
    2) Diet sodas are Zero to low cal, however the body cannot process the sweeteners in them.
    3) Diet Sodas can trick the body into storing unwanted/unwarranted fat.

Plus there are a number of other side effects of Sugary Drinks and Artificial sweeteners.

I've been drinking Tea, Coffee and Water for the past 2 years. To the point I even put Iced Coffee in my Camelbak when I go cycling.....
  • Hornsby
    Options

No, I would not.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Water: no nutrients - just hydration
    Milk: protein, fat, carbs, vitamins - in addition to hydration

So, no.