FDA approves weight loss stomach pump device

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    So this has to be done 30 minutes after eating, does this mean Resturaunt bathrooms with be consumed by people pumping their stomachs? The concept makes me a little queasy, walking in and hearing/smelling it would probably make me vomit.

I took care of a friend who was dying of cancer. They had a j-tube to get nutrients as they had esophageal cancer that had spread to their stomachs. It was not a pleseant experience for them having to live with the tube, and I really don't foresee many people being able to maintain stomach pumping as it is going to be more involved than they anticipate, and it's very inconvenient to live with a tube in your gut, regardless of the port. While it sounds quick and easy, having to functionally live with this is a totally different issue, one that I don't think many people will be able to tolerate.

I have my opinions on this procedure, and all the points I could make have been said in this thread so I'm not going to parrot other posts. For whoever gets this done I wish them the best of luck and hope it works out for them.

Instead of a doggie bag they hand you a vomit bag so you can dump while the waiter is getting your check.

This made me laugh harder than it should have.

It's even funnier when you read it in Kermit's voice!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have not read the conversation, but if you are required to a follow a supervised "lifestyle" program for this method to be successful as per this article, then what's the point? Couldn't you just follow said supervised lifestyle program (dietitian) and lose weight without it?

Forget the risks, the very short term lackluster results (equivalent to a 250 calorie deficit or less for a 200 pound person), or the redundancy of such a procedure.. why on earth would I want to stand in the bathroom doing nothing but smelling puke for a whole 10 minutes after every meal? People may see potential for abuse, I see potential for compliance issues.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

And the new saying will be "Families that purge together, stay gorge together."
    Fixed it for you. ;)

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

That makes the hair on my neck stand on end... yet it's still not as disturbingly nauseating as the stomach pump idea.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

That makes the hair on my neck stand on end... yet it's still not as disturbingly nauseating as the stomach pump idea.

Well, you could use the pump to lose, and then once you hit goal, you can have the patch sewn on as a forcible measure to prevent overeating.

Then, you never have utilize will power, self control, or effort.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

OMG. I can't believe the things some people will do to lose weight. So sick and pitiful.
    Much easier, and may be more sustainable in the long run, just to learn portion control & moderation.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If youd asked Me 50lb ago would you be interested in a gadget that allowed you to keep eating crap while pretending to a therapist you're doing it right and lose weight OR take control of our own life and learn how to eat in moderation......hmmmmm. no contest pump may well have won
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If youd asked Me 50lb ago would you be interested in a gadget that allowed you to keep eating crap while pretending to a therapist you're doing it right and lose weight OR take control of our own life and learn how to eat in moderation......hmmmmm. no contest pump may well have won

The thing is, you're not allowed to eat crap with this device. You are closely monitored to eat a "lifestyle changing diet". You also don't qualify if you have a history of eating disorder. It just has no point in my opinion since you will be dieting anyway.
  • suzyjane1972
    edited June 2016
    Options

The thing is, you're not allowed to eat crap with this device. You are closely monitored to eat a "lifestyle changing diet". You also don't qualify if you have a history of eating disorder. It just has no point in my opinion since you will be dieting anyway.

Your not meant to eat crap with wls but I know many who do/did and lie to their doctors(not surprisingly they didnt do well)...with any wls it all depends on the honesty and willingness to change of the person undergoing the procedure.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

As horrific as that is, that article is unintentionally funny in places.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I had gum surgery last year with stitches in the front of my mouth for over two weeks, I nearly went bonkers. That was the most terrible two weeks of my life. The worst part of this story was the gum surgery didn't take and I had to do it again. I guarantee everyone that stitches in your mouth is no fun whatsoever, I couldn't imagine someone requesting this sort of torture.
  • suzyjane1972
    edited June 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I had gum surgery last year with stitches in the front of my mouth for over two weeks, I nearly went bonkers. That was the most terrible two weeks of my life. The worst part of this story was the gum surgery didn't take and I had to do it again. I guarantee everyone that stitches in your mouth is no fun whatsoever, I couldn't imagine someone requesting this sort of torture.

Yep 4 wisdom tooth removal....over 100 stitches and a mouth butchered. No way would I ever do the tongue patch
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Yep 4 wisdom tooth removal....over 100 stitches and a mouth butchered. No way woukd I ever do the tongue patch

Like I'd rather gouge my eye out!
  • suzyjane1972
    edited June 2016
    Options

Yep 4 wisdom tooth removal....over 100 stitches and a mouth butchered. No way woukd I ever do the tongue patch

Painkillers lasted about 20 minutes and I looked like I had been used as a punching bag....worst pain ever and I've been left with a jaw that clicks and every now and again locks. Enforced liquid diet that week. I was cut from top to bottom and from jaw to fangs top and bottom......
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Painkillers lasted about 20 minutes and I looked like I had been used as a punching bag....worst pain ever and I've been left with a jaw that clicks and every now and again locks. Enforced liquid diet that week. I was cut from top to bottom and from jaw to fangs top and bottom......

I'm having a bad image of you going somewhere with a significant other and getting looks.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

Problem is, they can't possibly be monitored 24/7. If they ate and digested the healthy diet and then gorged on whatever and pumped it out, how would it be known?
  • suzyjane1972
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I'm having a bad image of you going somewhere with a significant other and getting looks.

Oh that was fun......I've never made an assumption about why a person looks bruised and battered since.