June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have heard both "long johns" and "eclairs." But you know, "a rose by any other name...": no matter what they're called they are delicious. And I have to stop thinking about them or I'll have to go get one, and I don't have calories allotted for one today!

@Elise4270 Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'm gonna do it. The race I'm thinking of is for PAWS Chicago - - a no-kill animal shelter, and in addition to the 5K race they have a walk/ run for humans & their dogs. I think this sounds like a blast! Pandora would get too stressed around so many strange doggies, but my BF said he might sign up to run with his extra-friendly german shepherd if I do the race.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just had to google the difference between eclairs and long johns, since I wasn't sure if there WAS a difference. Apparently, long johns are made from a yeast dough, while eclairs do not have a raising agent in the dough--instead using steam to create a puffy pastry. Learn something new everyday.

But, in some parts of the US, long johns are usually sold under the eclair name.

Living in Missouri and Oklahoma, I don't think I've ever seen a true eclair. Mostly just the gas station long john donuts.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...........TOTAL
    6/1...................REST.................0.00
    6/2.....................7.00.................7.00
    6/3.....................5.00...............12.00
    6/4...................10.00...............22.00
    6/5.....................6.25...............28.25
    6/6...................REST...............28.25
    6/7.....................3.00...............31.25
    6/8...................REST...............31.25
    6/9.....................3.00...............34.25
    6/10.................REST...............34.25
    6/11...................4.25.............. 38.50
    6/12.................REST...............38.50
    6/13.................REST...............38.50
    6/14.................REST...............38.50
    6/15...................6.00...............44.50
    6/16...................5.00...............49.50
    6/17...................7.00...............56.50

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)

• moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Over half way there! :)

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom Now I truly feel cheated :disappointed:

@elise4270 come to Alabama :-)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 It was really a selfie taken with a cat :smiley:

@shanaber Congrats to your daughter!

@louubelle16 Were you overheated? I really struggled last year with dizziness, chills, nausea. I have been fine this year so far and honestly don't know what's different.

I just realized I've been confusing eclairs with cream puffs. I don't think I've eaten either an eclair or long John. I'm more of a chocolate covered donut with sprinkles kinda girl.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    My wife gave me my anniversary card at dinner. It says I can go buy another pair of shoes....really stumped as to whether I should get another pair of Glycerins or Ghosts or get something new like the Brooks Neuro....choices choices
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My race is in 3 weeks and my knee has really dented my training mileage... not sure if I will even get a 100 miles this month...

And my vacation is tough...I can drink a lot of alcohol, but I am even impressing myself this trip... not getting many miles, but I'm not thinking about my knee much...lol...

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    :( First try at running after a 2 week injury recovery break.
    :s Managed a total of 58 seconds before my Calf told me that it was not ready.
    I went for a 45 minute walk, no discomfort walking but as soon as I try to pick up the pace into a super slow run it lets me know that I need more time :s:'(:/ .
    Looks like its back to the swimming pool. Goal for the month changed from 140km to 14km.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    June goal.....run

6/1 rest
    6/2 3.59
    6/3 dog nursing
    6/4 worked unplanned, unexpected overtime. crap.
    6/5 5.39
    6/6 dog nursing....DH was longingly looking at his weedwhacker. I spelled him to go whack off.
    6/7 5.31
    6/8 3.60
    6/9 3.12
    6/10 gave DH a nursing break
    6/11 8.32
    6/12 3.71
    6/13 3.38
    6/14 4.41 snuck out of work and ran in the rain.....so I can dognurse/give DH a break when I get home. 3 weeks till he's allowed off leash.....
    6/15 3.11
    6/16 4.19
    6/17 3.30

Total 52.05

@shanaber Tell your daughter I said welcome to the dark side....

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: sometime in June or July......when dog needs less nursing
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16
    Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: sometime in June or July......when dog needs less nursing

Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the congrats! My daughter has worked hard but has been in school too long. Double degree undergraduate, MPH, MCAM and now a doctor - time for a job and an income! Actually time for her residency and an income just above poverty level. But at least she can start paying off the loans... The minimum payment is less than the Intrest accrual - she will be paying on them forever! This is what happens when you have a highly driven only child!
    @HonuNui - I will tell her that! She and her dad love Star Wars!!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    @shanaber : Paid mine off in 21 years, 7 months and 13 days---never missed a payment and usually paid well over the minimum...... paid off just about in time to retire!
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Got another early morning run in - again, 5K in 37 minutes, but not as much fun as the last one as I've been weirdly exhausted for the past couple of days. I've caught up with my running plan by now though. Last week, I decided that if I make my June goal, I'm getting new running shoes in July, and now all of a sudden I'm up at 5:30 and dying for a run. ;)

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Great run today with the group. Had some new people coming and some of them never ran before. I decided to stay in the back and play the pacer and moral support. It was quite entertaining and made some new friends. One girl ended up hating on me but we took some walking breaks and we made it to the end. Another one was a runner but today it was the first time she ran 5k without stopping. I really hope these people keep with it. They remind me of me when I started and how hard it was.

Tomorrow is long run day. Realized I haven't had a long run in a while. Can't wait just need to time it right so I don't melt

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    June 1 - 6.1 km - 156/5:47
    June 2 - 5.5 km - 154/6:00
    June 3 - 5.0 km - 153/6:12
    June 4 - 7.0 km - 184/4:25
    June 5 - 6.0 km - 143/6:27
    June 6 - rest
    June 7 - 6.0 km - 143/6:13
    June 8 - 6.8 km - 148/6:11 (Hot)
    June 9 - 5.8 km - 150/5:58
    June 10 - rest
    June 11 - 5.0 km - 184/4:26
    June 12 - 6.0 km - 149/6:05
    June 13 - rest
    June 14 - 7.6 km - 149/6:08
    June 15 - 6.0 km - 150/6:03
    June 16 - 6.0 km - 150/6:12
    June 17 - 7.0 km - 152/6:21 (Hell)
    June 18 - 5.8 km - 150/Slow, I didn't care

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    ------
    June  1    5.1       5.1  
    June  2    5.6      10.7  
    June  4    5.8      16.5 
    June  5    4.2      20.7 
    June  7    4.2      24.9 
    June  9    5.1      30.0
    June 10    4.3      34.3
    June 11   13.2      47.5
    June 12    3.7      51.2
    June 15    5.6      56.8
    June 18   10.2      67.0

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    6/1: 5 miles
    6/2: 6.4 miles
    6/3: Rest
    6/4: Lazy
    6/5: 9 miles
    6/6: 5 miles
    6/7: 4 miles
    6/8: 6.5 miles << Wednesday group run
    6/9: 6.4 miles << Thursday PUB RUN!
    6/10: Rest day finally
    6/11: 13.1 << Halfway Half (unofficial)
    6/12: 10 miles
    6/13: 6 miles with Joe2Go crew
    6/14: 6.2 miles << Group runner send off! :'(
    6/15: 5 miles
    6/16: 7 miles
    .......: 6.4 miles << Thursday group run!
    6/17: Long awaited rest day
    6/18: 10.2 miles

Trying out doubling up on longer weekend runs this summer so that I only have to do doubles once during the week. However I've been cutting my Sunday LRs short every week, so hopefully this is the first weekend I actually get all my miles in. Today's 10 felt pretty darn good considering how crazy tight/tired my calves are. I didn't even consider cutting the route short, so that's good progress! I need to give them babies some serious TLC today. Some compression socks and foam rolling is in order, me thinks.

Exciting news though! Princeton/surrounding townships has a BLACK BEAR!!! It's been spotted many a time, and by several runners. High alert on the trails around here. I'll be sticking to in-town routes for a while, I think...

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    7/4: A 4th of July race somewhere!
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Via Marathon (Allentown, PA)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for your concern @skippygirlsmom & @cljoe7

@greenolivetree & @AdrianChr92, I wish I could blame the heat, but it was only 17C (62F) here yesterday and raining. But you are right @Elise4270, embracing the suck makes the good runs feel better!

I had a sucky run on Wednesday as well, feeling quite similar (nauseated and shaky) but didn't quite get to the point where everything went wobbly and I had to sit down. I just kept thinking then "This is horrible, but great preparation for the last few miles of my marathon!". I do think I will cut my goal down from 80 miles to 71 though (purely because I ran 70 last month, so obviously I have to beat that) to allow a bit of recovery from whatever is destroying my body right now. And, hey, if it is stress-related, I only have 4 more weeks working at that hell-hole before I'm GONE, and then everything will be OK.

I'm also going to make sure that I eat a little something about an hour before I go running. I guess in the winter it was ok to not have eaten for 4-5 hours when I went running straight after work and before dinner, but maybe in the summer my body needs just a little boost to get me through? Or, you know, I'm just using that as an excuse to procrastinate from the essay I'm currently writing (well, ish) to make some homemade oat bars. Because I NEED them, yes?

I have promised myself that, when my essay is finished, I can use what's left of my bank balance on some new running shoes before pay day on Wednesday. Other than my thesis, it's the last piece of work left on my 3-year-'part-time'-masters-degree, so I'm nearly FREEEEEEE!!!!! I know it doesn't sound like it, but my thesis is mostly practical research and I've done it all, so all that's left is to write it up over the summer.

Ok, I can't drag this post out anymore, can I? I need to get to writing...

Oh, no, wait, I can :smiley:

@juliet3455 Sounds like you're having a tough time coming back form injury, but you're doing the right thing in making sure your recovery is as quick as possible. When I pulled a calf muscle, I found swimming to make it worse and my PT told me to stick to the bike. I hope swimming is OK for you :)

@skippygirlsmom Enjoy your 5km!

@shanaber Enjoy your daughter's graduation - you must be so proud!

@kristinegift That's scary about the black bear! Sounds like a good plan to stick to the town roads. Do you know what they are trying to do about it, or do they just wait for it to get bored and move on?

Now to writing...
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift just be glad you don't have cougars and wolves...There are some of those on my area......
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Lost my post. Short version: 3.5 sucky miles and I'm sick of summer :smiley:

@louubelle16 72 is hot to me! As far as running is concerned.

@juliet3455 I am sorry and really empathize bc I had to take 8 weeks off to heal sit-bone pain in nov/Dec.

@kristinegift Closest I've heard of bears is 45 min drive. But we have coyotes for sure and people have sworn they've seen mountain lions although that's not confirmed. I'd definitely avoid the bear area.