Replies

• kevinrogers4
    kevinrogers4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    8 down 42 to go
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @cljoe7 -Your pup is a cutie! My dog is a fox hound/ boxer mix and she is a natural runner as well. Unfortunately, she is also a natural sniffer, so I know exactly what you are talking about!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Good luck for your 10km! Am I right in thinking this is your first experience of racing? If so, don't forget to enjoy it! Times are only half the reason most people race, it's the buzz and the atmosphere that really makes it worth it. Your first race is the one you'll remember the best, so don't get too caught up on performance :smile:

@Elise4270 I hope the surgery goes ok. If I were you, I'd be happy just to get it over with sooner!

I'm not running today like I normally would on a Thursday, taking an unplanned rest day. Unfortunately, working with kids with special needs like I do sometimes involves getting a bit hurt by the kids. Yesterday, when restraining a child, I felt a little twinge in one of the muscles around my bum/hip area so I think I pulled something. It's a bit tender today (not as sore as yesterday though) so best to leave running alone I guess, seeing as I'm a tiny bit wonky when I walk right now, let alone run. I should be back to it by Saturday though, I'm not concerned.

At least I didn't have any broken bones, unlike the poor kid who was being beaten up by the child I had to restrain!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @cljoe7 -Your pup is a cutie! My dog is a fox hound/ boxer mix and she is a natural runner as well. Unfortunately, she is also a natural sniffer, so I know exactly what you are talking about!

Aww! Thanks :smile: Yeah, I think a good goal is to limit/ moderate the sniffing rather than trying to eliminate it altogether. I've also found it helps to differentiate between a run (limited stopping) and a walk (stop & sniff free for all) by our getting ready routine. For example, when we run I wear my running shoes & attach the leash to my waist. When we walk I wear different shoes & hold the leash in my hand. Then she knows what kind of outing to expect. Or, I imagine she does!
  • DayLi77
    Options
    At least I didn't have any broken bones, unlike the poor kid who was being beaten up by the child I had to restrain!

Oh boy!
  • DayLi77
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good luck @MNLittleFinn!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @louubell16 yes, first race for me. I've run 5ks before,. but only as fun runs. It's going to be interesting, as the temperature will be 20f warmer than any of my training runs, but I've run the 10k distance so many times I'm not too worried about that. This is my tune up race for my Half in July....only 3 and a half weeks to go!

@cljoe7 Thanks!

Here's the route: https://www.strava.com/routes/4761788 still trying to figure out a strategy to deal with the ups and downs. Nominal goal is to finish in under 1 hour, real goal is to run and have fun and just enjoy myself.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »

Aww! Thanks :smile: Yeah, I think a good goal is to limit/ moderate the sniffing rather than trying to eliminate it altogether. I've also found it helps to differentiate between a run (limited stopping) and a walk (stop & sniff free for all) by our getting ready routine. For example, when we run I wear my running shoes & attach the leash to my waist. When we walk I wear different shoes & hold the leash in my hand. Then she knows what kind of outing to expect. Or, I imagine she does!

Yes, I definitely noticed that she does better if we have a nice walk prior to the run. Do you use a harness when you run or a regular collar? Was it hard to get used to the waist leash? My SIL bought one for me, but I don't think we are ready for that yet. A friend of mine uses one and it works great for her though. I must admit, it frightens me a little.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Here's the route: https://www.strava.com/routes/4761788 still trying to figure out a strategy to deal with the ups and downs. Nominal goal is to finish in under 1 hour, real goal is to run and have fun and just enjoy myself.
    Good luck this weekend!

As for the ups and downs, just run by feel trying to keep the same effort going up as going down. Going down is the harder thing to get right. Keep your feet under you and avoid letting them get out front and feel like you are braking in any way. You feet should glide under you quickly and easily as you (using @MobyCarp's term) "float" downhill. If your feet are pounding the pavement you are doing it wrong. Keep your head up, shoulders straight and back and have your arms out a bit for balance. Also keep your head up on the uphill as you get more oxygen in your lungs, leaning your head forward constricts your throat a bit (so I'm told, no clue if the science is there). I think it helps.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info @whatmerunning I havebeen working on keeping my head up.....
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Got in some run on vacation - found a high school near the hotel, headed out this morning 'cause it looked like they had a track around the football field. Nope. Just the concrete walkways, but they were continuous, so I decided to try to do some strides - figured, it's the length of the football field plus, so 100 yards plus. Got 4 and most of another one in, with walking around the course between (with a warm-up mile first, of course). Then just ran/walked the rest of 3.5-ish miles.

Then we headed to the beach. SWMBO likes to set up the chairs, then walk a bit in the water, then settle down to read. I decided to trigger the Garmin for the walk, and talked her into another few feet when she was ready to turn around at .48 miles. Got that mile in. Then decided to try out the barefoot beach thing - didn't love it. Don't care for not being sure how my foot's gonna land - prob why I don't like trail running that much.

We've got another walking tour around Savannah tonight (didn't count the one yesterday), so I'll have plenty of steps. Then we're headed to Charleston for a couple days, and another couple walking tours. Should have my steps, if not my running miles!
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...........TOTAL
    6/1.................BOYCOTTED ...0.00
    6/2.....................7.00.................7.00
    6/3.....................5.00...............12.00
    6/4...................10.00...............22.00
    6/5.....................6.25...............28.25
    6/6...................REST...............28.25
    6/7.....................3.00...............31.25
    6/8...................REST...............31.25
    6/9.....................3.00...............34.25

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)

• PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This blows. Only four weeks to my next race... and it looks like I will have minimal mileage between now and then. This knee has thrown me for a loop and I am not dealing with it very well. I am pi$$y and moody.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This blows. Only four weeks to my next race... and it looks like I will have minimal mileage between now and then. This knee has thrown me for a loop and I am not dealing with it very well. I am pi$$y and moody.

Don't try to get mileage. Any training you do that hurts you does more to hurt you. Just rest till you feel fine. You will be amazed how little fitness you will lose and also how fast you will get back.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    So you get a 4 week taper instead of 3 weeks! :smile: Right?

You of all people should be able to handle it after a 4 week break. Plus you'll be in your "most healed possible" state.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Since I'm driving down right after work tomorrow, I got all my gear ready for Saturday's 10k now
    28ebg9ctfzqo.jpg

You're gonna kick *kittens*!!! Wait, that didn't sound right.