6/4 – 7.21 easy with hills
    6/5 – 7.42 easy
    6/6 – rest day
    6/7 – 8.56 easy
    6/8 – rest day
    6/9 – 8.01 easy

June total to date – 37.31

Nominal Challenge Goal – 100 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from injury to the point where running feels normal again. Stretch goal, recover to the point where I can run at race pace.

Today's notes – Had stuff to do, so didn't get to the club early enough for a warm up. Two paces of drills was enough to let me know I'm still not doing drills that involve skipping, and not doing speed work. This was not a surprise, so it wasn't a disappointment. Did an easy out and back in really nice weather, low 60s and reasonable humidity with a brisk west wind at my back going out and in my face coming back.

The good news is, my sore leg tolerated an 8 mile continual run pretty well, with most of the run on the nice soft even Canal Trail surface. The bad news is, it feels like I'll be running with a low grade dull ache in my thigh for an extended period. Probably I'll get so used to it that I'll be surprised when I notice it's not there any more.

I know, that's more mental than physical. It won't really take as long as it feels like right now, but just knowing my mind is playing tricks on me doesn't make the tricks feel any less real. Today my moody emotional state says a 5K a week from Sunday is unlikely, but pacing 8:00 or 8:30 a week from Saturday (probably only 7 or 8 miles) is possible.

And with the way the mileage is progressing, running Shoreline in mid-July should be possible. Just have to remember that I don't need to run Shoreline fast.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited June 2016
    A 2 mile run today. I'm feeling fairly tired from my Tuesday night race and then Wednesday night run club workout. I took it very easy tonight. I need to do a long run tomorrow though. I don't want to put it off because I'm heading out of town the next day for a week. Not to mention that where I'm headed is going to be 97 degrees on Saturday. A full 30 or so degrees warmer than our current weather. Yikes. I'm not ready for that kind of change.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    hydrate...hydrate...hydrate....almost a gallon of water today, and will drink a similar amount or more tomorrow....don't want to be dried out when I race on Saturday.
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Yes, I definitely noticed that she does better if we have a nice walk prior to the run. Do you use a harness when you run or a regular collar? Was it hard to get used to the waist leash? My SIL bought one for me, but I don't think we are ready for that yet. A friend of mine uses one and it works great for her though. I must admit, it frightens me a little.

I used to use a harness that you attach the leash to in front, but she does better in general if I just attach it to her collar. I've heard that if you use a harness where the clip is on the back the dog's instinct is to pull hard - no good for running, but we use one like this when she pulls me on the bike (that's how she gets her real exercise). I haven't tried a waist leash. I have a really dorky fanny pack that I attach the leash to & wear around my waist. I'm sure I look like a serious dork that way, but it works & I can carry all the treats, inhaler, etc with me without having to hold them in my hand.

My boyfriend has a skijoring belt that he uses. (skijoring = sport where dogs pull people on cross-country skis! It's awesome!) That belt is really comfortable, but gets hot & sweaty in warmer weather.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    Yes, I definitely noticed that she does better if we have a nice walk prior to the run. Do you use a harness when you run or a regular collar? Was it hard to get used to the waist leash? My SIL bought one for me, but I don't think we are ready for that yet. A friend of mine uses one and it works great for her though. I must admit, it frightens me a little.

I used to use a harness that you attach the leash to in front, but she does better in general if I just attach it to her collar. I've heard that if you use a harness where the clip is on the back the dog's instinct is to pull hard - no good for running, but we use one like this when she pulls me on the bike (that's how she gets her real exercise). I haven't tried a waist leash. I have a really dorky fanny pack that I attach the leash to & wear around my waist. I'm sure I look like a serious dork that way, but it works & I can carry all the treats, inhaler, etc with me without having to hold them in my hand.

My boyfriend has a skijoring belt that he uses. (skijoring = sport where dogs pull people on cross-country skis! It's awesome!) That belt is really comfortable, but gets hot & sweaty in warmer weather.
    I used a pronged collar initially with Hobbes the Vizsla to keep him from pulling. The front pull harness and the one that went around his nose did not work at all. It did not t are long with the pronged collar, maybe a couple of times before he stopped pulling and we transitioned to just a regular collar. I also used treats to just keep him at my side. Now we use his regular collar and a Kurgo adjustable waist leash so my hands are free. I absolutely love the waist leash - it has really revolutionized our runs.

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    June goal.....run

6/1 rest
    6/2 3.59
    6/3 dog nursing
    6/4 worked unplanned, unexpected overtime. crap.
    6/5 5.39
    6/6 dog nursing....DH was longingly looking at his weedwhacker. I spelled him to go whack off.
    6/7 5.31
    6/8 3.60
    6/9 3.12

Total 21.01

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: sometime in June or July......when dog needs less nursing
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

exercise.png

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Goal 120 km

4 - 6 km
    6 - 21.4 km
    9 - 30.1 km cycling

Total 27.4 km running

So, I'm thinking more and more, I'm going to shift my training towards triathlon prep. Either a Marathon plan with a lot of cross training or a tri-plan. Today's ride was just too much fun.

*Singing* Gel-ous! I've been watching too much RuPaul Drag Race.... girl :wink: :blush: TV bonding my my DD

It's tri training, not cross training. ;)
    Having said that, I have a friend in Frankfurt that does hashes and I'll be doing the red dress run next year. But that's another story.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Ohhim wrote: »
    Goal 120 km

4 - 6 km
    6 - 21.4 km
    9 - 30.1 km cycling

Total 27.4 km running

So, I'm thinking more and more, I'm going to shift my training towards triathlon prep. Either a Marathon plan with a lot of cross training or a tri-plan. Today's ride was just too much fun.

For my last 70.3 (which was 3 weeks before my last marathon), I roughly followed the garmin olympic II HR plan alongside their marathon III HR plan, and it worked out pretty well. I just ignored most of the run workouts aside from the bricks as my marathon plan was getting me enough mileage.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm looking at a HH Marathon Plan that has a lot of bike/cross but I think I'm going to focus on a swim specific plan (my weakness) and stack that.

I paid for the registration for a sprint in August so I'm committed like a chicken, now I just need to do the workouts to commit like a pig. Eggs and bacon, man. Eggs and bacon!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Goal 120 km

4 - 6 km
    6 - 21.4 km
    9 - 30.1 km cycling
    10 - 6.1 km

Total 33.5 km running 30.1 km cycling

Morning run, I rarely do those, but I'm off to drive to France today and won't get it done otherwise. Have a great one!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    ------
    June  1    5.1       5.1  
    June  2    5.6      10.7  
    June  4    5.8      16.5 
    June  5    4.2      20.7 
    June  7    4.2      24.9 
    June  9    5.1      30.0
    June 10    4.3      34.3

exercise.png
  • checkthestove
    checkthestove Posts: 44 Member

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    hydrate...hydrate...hydrate....almost a gallon of water today, and will drink a similar amount or more tomorrow....don't want to be dried out when I race on Saturday.

Don't forget salt and potasium.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member

Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25
    6/5 REST DAY
    6/6 8 miles 33
    6/6 4 miles 37 << Daily Double
    6/7 9 miles 46
    6/7 5 miles 51 << Daily Double
    6/8 6.2 miles 57.2
    6/9 9 miles 66.2
    6/10 6.2 miles 72.4

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I'm still healing up from that cuboid dislocation, but doing pretty well. I wanted to rest until there was no more soreness and there is still some very minor lingering soreness. I might be able to push off on it and run a short while but I am just going to go ahead and keep resting it through the weekend and will test it on Monday if there are no setbacks.

Good luck to all who are racing this morning! Kick everyone's *kitten* and run like the wind!

6/1 - 8 brutal miles
    6/2 - 4 crappy miles
    6/3 - 3.1 lovely, fast, and hilly miles
    6/4 - 13.1 wonderful, moderate effort, hilly miles
    6/5 - Rest
    6/6 - 1.1 mile trail fail
    6/7 - Healing a foot injury
    6/13 - Hope to start running again...

29.3/225 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races (this list is subject to change at the posters whim):
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)[/quote]

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    cljoe7 wrote: »

I used a pronged collar initially with Hobbes the Vizsla to keep him from pulling. The front pull harness and the one that went around his nose did not work at all. It did not t are long with the pronged collar, maybe a couple of times before he stopped pulling and we transitioned to just a regular collar. I also used treats to just keep him at my side. Now we use his regular collar and a Kurgo adjustable waist leash so my hands are free. I absolutely love the waist leash - it has really revolutionized our runs.

I use a halti so i have control of her head.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2016

June
    1-nothing
    2-hope to get something in tonight. yoga/circus girls+pedicure night=hangover
    3-nothing-last minute errands. essentially sped walked for 3 hours
    4-same but all day because, you know, i got married
    5-family reunion
    6-slept off the weekend
    7-4.25mi. felt pretty good
    8-3.13mi feeling good, plus stairclimber and foam rolling
    9-slept in
    10-no run. i thought i had a case of athletes foot but it looks like i got stung by a bee on my wedding day. i had a blister around the stinger. between my pinky toe and the other toe. it's itchy and raw. so no run. maybe later

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual 40:08
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual 41:46
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half (got my gear-good stuff)
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?