Please flag the spam !

Options

Replies

• 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Finding an "early morning" do-everything mod would be great... but if there's not one of those around, a spam-stamper or two would be a great improvement on what's happening at the moment. The only way to get rid of the "bots" is to stop them being worthwhile - consistently get the users banned as soon as they start posting.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    Finding an "early morning" do-everything mod would be great... but if there's not one of those around, a spam-stamper or two would be a great improvement on what's happening at the moment. The only way to get rid of the "bots" is to stop them being worthwhile - consistently get the users banned as soon as they start posting.

For a period of time, we did have a UK and Aussie mod. Unfortunately, due to several reason, they had to leave being a mod. I would hope that we can get other mods from outside the US.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Our hyperactive friends are back again. Flagging them, but this approach really isn't working - it needs a moderator around at this time of the day to immediately zap the accounts while they're still posting - make them realise that this is a bad target and move on

I agree! @Nova can you create a nomination, for moderators; solely for this time of day or we should have shift moderator nominations, to ensure that we always have moderators available; no matter the time of day.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10269590/nominate-a-volunteer-moderator#latest

There is where a person could volunteer to be a moderator. We generally are always looking for mods since there will always be turn over. In fact, the mods have a running thread to figure out who we want to bring on board.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Our hyperactive friends are back again. Flagging them, but this approach really isn't working - it needs a moderator around at this time of the day to immediately zap the accounts while they're still posting - make them realise that this is a bad target and move on

I agree! @Nova can you create a nomination, for moderators; solely for this time of day or we should have shift moderator nominations, to ensure that we always have moderators available; no matter the time of day.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10269590/nominate-a-volunteer-moderator#latest

There is where a person could volunteer to be a moderator. We generally are always looking for mods since there will always be turn over. In fact, the mods have a running thread to figure out who we want to bring on board.

I hope your team would consider being flexible on what the mod's duties are (see my previous post). It could be really helpful
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I agree! Nova can you create a nomination, for moderators; solely for this time of day or we should have shift moderator nominations, to ensure that we always have moderators available; no matter the time of day.

Anyone can nominate a moderator. There's a stickie topic for it and you can email staff any time. One problem I ran into is that moderators have a whole slew of time consuming responsibilities, so the users don't necessarily want to do that job. But staff needs the moderators to take on the full moderator roles and responsibilities, and at the time did not seem open to a mod who just does spam swatting. Maybe I misunderstood, or they'll change their minds on this. Or a sneaky stealthy user can join up with the intent of only doing spam ;). It needs to be an active member whose awake hours are when they hit hardest

I had just seen that the announcement, had been closed & thus didn't bother, to click.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Would any of the regulars, that post in this thread & frequently flag the spam, like to be nominated?
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,006 MFP Staff
    Options

Yes, we'd love to have someone in another time zone, as well as US based time zones. Feel free to add yourself or a friend to the sheet for review.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I hope your team would consider being flexible on what the mod's duties are (see my previous post). It could be really helpful

We aren't paid... its all on our own time. So pretty much unlimited flexibility.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

We aren't paid... its all on our own time. So pretty much unlimited flexibility.

Ah, so they could be a full moderator but really only throw you an assist with spambot killing if they prefer?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Ah, so they could be a full moderator but really only throw you an assist with spambot killing if they prefer?

They would have full modding powers. So they could do all modding activities including cleaning spam.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    @psulemon are we allowed to nominate mods by tagging people to this thread? I have a few ideas >:)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    @psulemon are we allowed to nominate mods by tagging people to this thread? I have a few ideas >:)

I am thinking no because I believe they have to nominate themselves, but you can PM me.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

I am thinking no because I believe they have to nominate themselves, but you can PM me.

Darn :( I have a list :(
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

If you follow the Nominate a Volunteer Mod link, it sounds like you can nominate anyone.
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

If you follow the Nominate a Volunteer Mod link, it sounds like you can nominate anyone.

This is what I get for not reading the thread. It does look like you can nominate people. :p
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Lots of W119.me spam hitting the boards right now.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    They're really going for it today - more IDs, on earlier, and still posting. So far, user IDs palay001, hahwjaj, manisasin, fqjqjabava, plus001, faiqiwgw
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited June 2016
    Options
    They're really going for it today - more IDs, on earlier, and still posting. So far, user IDs palay001, hahwjaj, manisasin, fqjqjabava, plus001, faiqiwgw

Unfortunately there just isn't enough of us, to flag each 5 times; without them staying excessively long.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,744 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just spent about half an hour adding my flags to all those I saw. It's too bad we can't search for posts by usernames. That would make flagging much faster.