FDA approves weight loss stomach pump device

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    If youd asked Me 50lb ago would you be interested in a gadget that allowed you to keep eating crap while pretending to a therapist you're doing it right and lose weight OR take control of our own life and learn how to eat in moderation......hmmmmm. no contest pump may well have won

The thing is, you're not allowed to eat crap with this device. You are closely monitored to eat a "lifestyle changing diet". You also don't qualify if you have a history of eating disorder. It just has no point in my opinion since you will be dieting anyway.

Problem is, they can't possibly be monitored 24/7. If they ate and digested the healthy diet and then gorged on whatever and pumped it out, how would it be known?

No way of knowing I guess.. why would someone pay and risk some unpleasant possible side effects (death is listed as one of them) just to cheat the system and sabotage their results? I'm sure some would, but for the life of me I don't get how they would justify it.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I was at the MALL today, Sawgrass Mall in Fort Lauderdale and really think we've lost our way. We can't all just eat less and move more--as if that ever worked anyhow for everyone.....

Yes this is a tool that may help many people--not for everyone but from what i've read it is safer and less likely to cause problems than a gastric bypass surgery.

When people are overweight and younger and overeating many of them don't realize how that extra weight will compromise their ability to be mobile during their older years.

So the more options for people the better and not everyone is the same.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If youd asked Me 50lb ago would you be interested in a gadget that allowed you to keep eating crap while pretending to a therapist you're doing it right and lose weight OR take control of our own life and learn how to eat in moderation......hmmmmm. no contest pump may well have won

The thing is, you're not allowed to eat crap with this device. You are closely monitored to eat a "lifestyle changing diet". You also don't qualify if you have a history of eating disorder. It just has no point in my opinion since you will be dieting anyway.

Problem is, they can't possibly be monitored 24/7. If they ate and digested the healthy diet and then gorged on whatever and pumped it out, how would it be known?

No way of knowing I guess.. why would someone pay and risk some unpleasant possible side effects (death is listed as one of them) just to cheat the system and sabotage their results? I'm sure some would, but for the life of me I don't get how they would justify it.

Well, it's more common than you think. My mom got WLS and did not follow the dietary guidelines and chose to not incorporate long term changes and exercise into her routine. She has developed a lot of health problems including vitamin deficiencies, back problems, and has had two heart attacks since.

Plus, she's regained a fair amount of weight. A year and a half ago she decided she needed to lose weight again, and so she had a revision to her surgery. And she still does not exercise or eat properly.

Don't act like it's not a thing.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

For the life of me, I don't understand why someone would choose this tool to begin.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Well, it's more common than you think. My mom got WLS and did not follow the dietary guidelines and chose to not incorporate long term changes and exercise into her routine. She has developed a lot of health problems including vitamin deficiencies, back problems, and has had two heart attacks since.

Plus, she's regained a fair amount of weight. A year and a half ago she decided she needed to lose weight again, and so she had a revision to her surgery. And she still does not exercise or eat properly.

I would guess that a fair amount of people would be inclined to not eat correct portion sizes and moderate their food intake. If they could do this, they would have been able to lose without WLS, or resorting to this new procedure. Bottom line is, in order to keep the weight off, they WILL have to learn to moderate their food consumption. This is a drastic solution, with no guarantees.

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Weight gain maybe? I wonder what action would be taken if a patient were to gain weight while using this? I mean, would they be denied the reset after 115 cycles? Given more intense therapy? Be allowed to continue on anyway? Be given a recommendation for WLS?
  • auddii
    Options

I would guess that a fair amount of people would be inclined to not eat correct portion sizes and moderate their food intake. If they could do this, they would have been able to lose without WLS, or resorting to this new procedure. Bottom line is, in order to keep the weight off, they WILL have to learn to moderate their food consumption. This is a drastic solution, with no guarantees.

Yes, I agree. But a lot of people are willing to throw money at a solution, even if there are a lot of risks, but not put in the effort to change in the long term. I don't understand why someone would assume that just because the procedure is risky and expensive, that would guarantee compliance.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

Yes, I agree. But a lot of people are willing to throw money at a solution, even if there are a lot of risks, but not put in the effort to change in the long term. I don't understand why someone would assume that just because the procedure is risky and expensive, that would guarantee compliance.

Denial, I would guess. Same as for those that want a magic pill or a "special drink or food". A quick fix. Or an easier fix. No matter what, you have to be willing to learn to not eat more calories than you burn.

The long term solution is the same no matter what. You have to learn to not eat more calories than you burn, and move more.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Oh I didn't say it wasn't a thing, I said I'm sure some would. I just can't understand, personally, the reasoning behind putting one's health at risk and paying loads of money if they aren't planning to follow through, but that's a different topic. WLS is different though. You get great results, almost immediate improvements in diabetes, and other health benefits if certain surgeries like a knee replacement is planned. The sheer amount you lose on a WLS makes the benefits, however temporary, kind of worth it.

With this device the results are not very good, so a potential sabotage could completely nullify the results. I wonder what the actual study looks like, because if they are eliminating 30% of the calories, which are supposed to not be excessive in the first place and only lost an average of 12% in a whole year then it's not as successful as touted. If we assume the healthy diet they are supposed to eat is approximately 2000 calories in reality they would be absorbing 1400. For a person whose maintenance is more that 2500 the 12% would have taken 4 months or less. I'm interested to see if those who stuck to the program affected the average and if there are people who did not lose, or even gained. I'm curious if it needs one of those "works in conjunction with a healthy diet" disclaimers which often translates to "doesn't work".
  • auddii
    Options

Oh I didn't say it wasn't a thing, I said I'm sure some would. I just can't understand, personally, the reasoning behind putting one's health at risk and paying loads of money if they aren't planning to follow through, but that's a different topic. WLS is different though. You get great results, almost immediate improvements in diabetes, and other health benefits if certain surgeries like a knee replacement is planned. The sheer amount you lose on a WLS makes the benefits, however temporary, kind of worth it.

With this device the results are not very good, so a potential sabotage could completely nullify the results. I wonder what the actual study looks like, because if they are eliminating 30% of the calories, which are supposed to not be excessive in the first place and only lost an average of 12% in a whole year then it's not as successful as touted. If we assume the healthy diet they are supposed to eat is approximately 2000 calories in reality they would be absorbing 1400. For a person whose maintenance is more that 2500 the 12% would have taken 4 months or less. I'm interested to see if those who stuck to the program affected the average and if there are people who did not lose, or even gained. I'm curious if it needs one of those "works in conjunction with a healthy diet" disclaimers which often translates to "doesn't work".

Ah, gotcha.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I had gum surgery last year with stitches in the front of my mouth for over two weeks, I nearly went bonkers. That was the most terrible two weeks of my life. The worst part of this story was the gum surgery didn't take and I had to do it again. I guarantee everyone that stitches in your mouth is no fun whatsoever, I couldn't imagine someone requesting this sort of torture.

Yep 4 wisdom tooth removal....over 100 stitches and a mouth butchered. No way woukd I ever do the tongue patch

Like I'd rather gouge my eye out!

Painkillers lasted about 20 minutes and I looked like I had been used as a punching bag....worst pain ever and I've been left with a jaw that clicks and every now and again locks. Enforced liquid diet that week. I was cut from top to bottom and from jaw to fangs top and bottom......

I'm having a bad image of you going somewhere with a significant other and getting looks.

Oh that was fun......I've never made an assumption about why a person looks bruised and battered since.

True story:
    My wife had her wisdom teeth removed and after the procedure they had me sign a form promising not to leave her alone for the next 24 hours (or something like that) because of having been put under and bleeding risks, stuff like that.

So they release her and we have to go into Walmart to pick up her prescription. Thing is, she's still barely conscious! The anesthesia just stuck with her so well that she was basically dozing in and out but mostly out.
    So I help her out of the car...and she can hardly walk! I basically held her up and we slowly made our way to the entrance where she had to stop and take a break before we pressed onward to the electric buggies.
    Then she opens her mouth to talk and her teeth are just covered in blood. A lady sees her and (very concerned) asks me "is she ok?!" And I tell her yeah, she just had her wisdom teeth removed and we're here to get her prescription.
    So we press on to the carts and I get her into one of the electric wheelchairs where she just slumps forward. She can't even try to drive the thing.
    So here I am, leaning over and driving the electric wheelchair while walking alongside it and holding her back from slumping forward to keep pressure off her face and to keel her from drooling blood.
    And of course it took forever for them to get the prescription ready even though it's been called in...
    Talk about the most uncomfortable trip to Walmart ever.

Really, the fact that so many people stared but didn't say anything kind of makes me worry about what if some dude does beat the snot out of his wife and then takes her into that Walmart.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I had gum surgery last year with stitches in the front of my mouth for over two weeks, I nearly went bonkers. That was the most terrible two weeks of my life. The worst part of this story was the gum surgery didn't take and I had to do it again. I guarantee everyone that stitches in your mouth is no fun whatsoever, I couldn't imagine someone requesting this sort of torture.

Yep 4 wisdom tooth removal....over 100 stitches and a mouth butchered. No way woukd I ever do the tongue patch

Painkillers lasted about 20 minutes and I looked like I had been used as a punching bag....worst pain ever and I've been left with a jaw that clicks and every now and again locks. Enforced liquid diet that week. I was cut from top to bottom and from jaw to fangs top and bottom......

I'm having a bad image of you going somewhere with a significant other and getting looks.

Oh that was fun......I've never made an assumption about why a person looks bruised and battered since.

True story:
    My wife had her wisdom teeth removed and after the procedure they had me sign a form promising not to leave her alone for the next 24 hours (or something like that) because of having been put under and bleeding risks, stuff like that.

So they release her and we have to go into Walmart to pick up her prescription. Thing is, she's still barely conscious! The anesthesia just stuck with her so well that she was basically dozing in and out but mostly out.
    So I help her out of the car...and she can hardly walk! I basically held her up and we slowly made our way to the entrance where she had to stop and take a break before we pressed onward to the electric buggies.
    Then she opens her mouth to talk and her teeth are just covered in blood. A lady sees her and (very concerned) asks me "is she ok?!" And I tell her yeah, she just had her wisdom teeth removed and we're here to get her prescription.
    So we press on to the carts and I get her into one of the electric wheelchairs where she just slumps forward. She can't even try to drive the thing.
    So here I am, leaning over and driving the electric wheelchair while walking alongside it and holding her back from slumping forward to keep pressure off her face and to keel her from drooling blood.
    And of course it took forever for them to get the prescription ready even though it's been called in...

Really, the fact that so many people stared but didn't say anything kind of makes me worry about what if some dude does beat the snot out of his wife and then takes her into that Walmart.

Good thing you didn't wind up on People of Wal-Mart! :D
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

True story:

Good thing you didn't wind up on People of Wal-Mart! :D

I double checked, I didn't see him either, phew!!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

Weight gain maybe? I wonder what action would be taken if a patient were to gain weight while using this? I mean, would they be denied the reset after 115 cycles? Given more intense therapy? Be allowed to continue on anyway? Be given a recommendation for WLS?

If they're that driven to over consume and try to cheat, no doubt they will figure out how to reset the count. I have a light emitting facial mask that does light treatment, it's programmed "quit" after 25 times. I'm supposed to buy a new one. What it actually does is drain the battery. I can short the circuit and the count resets, add a new battery (rechargeable) and I continue to use it. There will be work around a with this pump.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was just watching an episode of Supersize vs Superskinny and they mentioned this device, and the show is from 2 years ago. It's here from the 26min mark (you get to see it working)

WARNING: contains scenes of surgery
    https://youtu.be/63YdGZkpsao?t=1551
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    and here in Canada they have developed a Deep brain stimulation operation to help combat eating disorders..smh...

Sorry but US is screwed up...

The device was available in Europe first. It is not an "American thing". Though I don't entirely blame you for making that assumption.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Of course the idea is disturbing. But is it a possible way back for those who are extremely obese, to the point where they are unable to move on their own, or have drastically reduced mobility? You know that's generally a death sentence.

If something like this can get a person down to a more manageable level of obesity at which they can move and are not in imminent danger of death, then the usual tools of education and discipline can kick in at that point. If it's going to save lives, I won't argue with it.

I do understand who some people are worried about risks of developing bulimia, though - this is basically medically sanctioned purging. But in some cases that might be worth the risk, if it's that or dying.

This is basically my take on the matter.

It is easy for me to sit here, as someone who has never been morbidly obese, and argue that these devices should never be used. I might feel differently if I had a BMI of 45 and found it difficult to move, let alone truly exercise. This is meant to be used as a last resort for individuals who are morbidly obese - not as a device to help someone lose a few (or even a few dozen) vanity pounds. It is also meant to be used in conjunction with dietary changes.
    So patients will hopefully be learning new and healthier eating habits to help them maintain the loss.

Who am I to pass judgment?

I just feel fortunate that I'm not in position where my doctor is encouraging me to have this procedure.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    So, it's basically automated bulimia? OK, then.

Basically, yes. But without the esophageal damage.

And hopefully without the risk of heart strain that often comes with bulimia.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Mentali wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are worrying about eating disorders. Do they worry about eating disorders for bariatric surgery? This has the same general requirements - must be at a high BMI, must have tried to lose weight through other means, must be in a situation where weight loss is the most healthy thing they can do for themselves. It seems like completely unnecessary worry, people looking for reasons to be angry at this device because they think it's gross without actually being logical about it. In fact, this is just the feeding tube given to anorexic patients in reverse, and without inpatient. Seems like a great tool for someone with BED or other kinds of disordered binge eating.

I think it's gross but I might think differently if I had a BMI of 45 and had been struggling for years to lose weight and knew that if I didn't lose weight I would be in mortal danger very soon. You know what's also gross? Colostomy bags. That doesn't mean they shouldn't exist; it just means that medical intervention is sometimes necessarily gross.

Man, the people on this forum are so judgy and irrational sometimes.

What would be "logical" is educating people and giving them what they need to learn how to eat properly for a lifetime rather than impanting a device which allows them to continue engaging in destructive eating habits yet purge their bodies of the food (which also carries a high likelihood that the device will be overused and the patient could suffer from malnutrition even while binging).

That FDA statement indicates that the device will only be used after non surgical weight loss therapy has failed to achieve or maintain weight loss had failed and that eligible patients will be assisted with a lifestyle programme to help with healthier choices. It also states that patients will be the subject of regular checks.

This, much like any invasive procedure won't be the first port of call.

All depends on the Doctor. I have two friends who had gastric bypass without all the backup behavior modification help I have read about on here--6 months of diet and exercise first, etc. One is about to have her second surgery because she's stretched out her stomach and the second is back on insulin and considering operation #2. All insurance approved.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    This makes no sense, on several levels:

Katherine D. Crothall, president and CEO of Aspire Bariatrics, the maker of the AspireAssist, said she understood why people might find the idea of the pump "gross" but insisted it offered a viable way for morbidly obese people to drop pounds.

"Some people manage to lose weight on a diet, but the kinds of changes you need to make to keep it off are probably not sustainable for many," she said. "There's a lot to be said for people being in the driver's seat with their own body, with their own health. This allows a patient to do that while under the care of a physician."

1) You are in the drivers seat every time you put something into your mouth.

2) If the kind of changes you need to make on a diet are not sustainable for many, how will these patients keep the weight off?

Ah, I see. I didn't read down far enough. The above statement is every bit as horrifying as I first thought.

Crothall said that her company hadn't looked at how weight loss is maintained once the device is removed but was marketing the device for long-term use. She said that trial participants were offered counseling to help them modify their eating habits, but there was only anecdotal evidence that any of them made changes.

I need "Very Scary" button to click on at the bottom of posts.