Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people overeat and/or become obese? Is it harder than average for some to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm not against people saying they are addicted to certain foods. But I don't think that addiction (or compulsion or whatever your favorite word is) is the answer to the question, I think it's part of the question.

I'm interested in WHY some people have such a strong reaction and others don't. After reading all of this, my guess is some are either more sensitive to hunger signals like ghrelin and/or have something different about their neurotransmitters that causes them more distress than average when exercising self control in the presence of a food temptation; or, alternatively, causes them more pleasure than average when partaking of particularly tempting foods.

So that still leaves the question, if the above is true, HOW does that happen? Why to some people and not others? Are some born that way, or is it catalysed by experiences in their formative years? Or something else entirely?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    simple/complex is a useful category when you have blood sugar issues, which I do. Without such issues, it's probably irrelevant.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    simple/complex is a useful category when you have blood sugar issues, which I do. Without such issues, it's probably irrelevant.

True
  • DebSozo
    Options
    So what are the other reasons?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Reasons.... upbringing issues, emotional issues, hormones out of whack, sometimes actual lack of knowledge, mobility problems due to ailments, and appetite increasing/metabolism lowering medications. That's the list of what I know of.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I guess I'm mostly not thinking this digression on "addiction," is really relevant to the thread topic. I think the reason people overeat isn't mainly "addiction," but environment and availability plus normal human reactions to food.

I actually think this topic is quite relevant to the OP, because if people do react to foods differently from a psychological perspective, it could explain why some people have more trouble losing weight - it isn't that it's physically impossible for them, it's that the conventional techniques of portion control and moderation will not work to bring their cravings under control.

I'm trying to look at this on a macro level. The differences between societies with lots of overweight and those without are environment and activity. It's unlikely to be that we have more "addicted" people.

I agree with you there, 100%. I absolutely think that easy availability and heavy promotion of high calorie and appealing food, coupled with inactivity are the primary drivers of obesity.

Everything I am talking about is definitely micro level, but I think it's one answer to the question of why some people find it harder to lose weight than others.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I don't really see how this thread won't end up here anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there:

In some (or many) cases, people are afflicted with a compulsion/addiction/condition/whatever-term-that-won't-cause-mental-anguish-to-people. I believe that there is both a physical and mental component to this.

The physical is that there is an abnormal reaction to the effects of certain behaviors and or experiences (such as overeating and/or eating highly palatable foods). This reaction manifests in a phenomenal craving. Once the craving is triggered, it cannot be satisfied.

The mental aspect is an obsession with the behavior or experience. They are inexplicably drawn to attempt normal consumption even if they have proven an inability to do so in the past. No matter their level of commitment or the seriousness of their situation (i.e. you'll have to get your leg amputated if you can't get this under control), they will trigger the craving again.

Basically it boils down to this, they can't stop once they've started and they can't stop themselves from starting.

I don't believe this for one second.

Lack of education.

That's fine.

Are you saying I lack education or the people I am talking about lack education. What education is lacking?

@moe0303

I think he is saying he lacks education himself. The inability to see beyond his experiences.
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I don't really see how this thread won't end up here anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there:

In some (or many) cases, people are afflicted with a compulsion/addiction/condition/whatever-term-that-won't-cause-mental-anguish-to-people. I believe that there is both a physical and mental component to this.

The physical is that there is an abnormal reaction to the effects of certain behaviors and or experiences (such as overeating and/or eating highly palatable foods). This reaction manifests in a phenomenal craving. Once the craving is triggered, it cannot be satisfied.

The mental aspect is an obsession with the behavior or experience. They are inexplicably drawn to attempt normal consumption even if they have proven an inability to do so in the past. No matter their level of commitment or the seriousness of their situation (i.e. you'll have to get your leg amputated if you can't get this under control), they will trigger the craving again.

Basically it boils down to this, they can't stop once they've started and they can't stop themselves from starting.

I don't believe this for one second.

Lack of education.

That's fine.

Are you saying I lack education or the people I am talking about lack education. What education is lacking?

@moe0303

I think he is saying he lacks education himself. The inability to see beyond his experiences.

???
  • MakePeasNotWar
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I'm not against people saying they are addicted to certain foods. But I don't think that addiction (or compulsion or whatever your favorite word is) is the answer to the question, I think it's part of the question.

I'm interested in WHY some people have such a strong reaction and others don't. After reading all of this, my guess is some are either more sensitive to hunger signals like ghrelin and/or have something different about their neurotransmitters that causes them more distress than average when exercising self control in the presence of a food temptation; or, alternatively, causes them more pleasure than average when partaking of particularly tempting foods.

So that still leaves the question, if the above is true, HOW does that happen? Why to some people and not others? Are some born that way, or is it catalysed by experiences in their formative years? Or something else entirely?

Purely conjecture, but my guess is that the compulsive nature of cravings would be related to neurotransmitter regulation, and prefrontal cortex underdevelopment with executive function impairment could explain why some people find it near impossible to resist cravings that others might not have a problem with.

I think the neurotransmitter link is supported by the fact that antidepressants have been useful in some cases of compulsive eating, and the fact that it seems like many people who believe they are "addicted" to certain foods experience less than average hedonic response to other foods and non-food experiences.

The reason for executive function impact is somewhat self explanatory, as it is the domain of things like delayed gratification, impulse control, and self-regulation. People with ADHD, a disfunction of executive function, also have trouble appreciating or predicting the consequences of their actions, so the link between eating a food and gaining weight, while it would be understood on an intellectual level, isn't usually factored into the decision about whether to eat it or not (unless the choice is made very deliberately)

Edited to clarify language
  • DebSozo
    Options

Purely conjecture, but my guess is that the compulsive nature of cravings would be related to neurotransmitter regulation, and prefrontal cortex underdevelopment with executive function impairment could explain why some people find it near impossible to resist cravings that others might not have a problem with.

I think the neurotransmitter link is supported by the fact that antidepressants have been useful in some cases of compulsive eating, and the fact that it seems like many people who believe they are "addicted" to certain foods experience less than average hedonic response to other foods and non-food experiences.

The reason for executive function impact is somewhat self explanatory, as it is the domain of things like delayed gratification, impulse control, and self-regulation. People with ADHD, a disfunction of executive function, also have trouble appreciating or predicting the consequences of their actions, so the link between eating a food and gaining weight, while it would be understood on an intellectual level, isn't usually factored into the decision about whether to eat it or not (unless the choice is made very deliberately)

No. I'm thinking that this isn't the case for most people.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »

True

Simple/complex has nothing to do with GI or GL, though. It's just starch vs. sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Again, what doesn't pertain to me? I overeat easily. That it's not primarily sugar that I overeat doesn't mean I have a less difficult issue to deal with, as you seem to be saying, Deb. And you've acknowledged that for you it's sugar+fat.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel really empty
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options

It's too late for me to go back and edit, but I do want to clarify that I am not saying everyone who has a hard time resisting cravings has ADHD, or anything of the sort. I only used that as an example of an extreme case of executive function impairment, because I feel like it's a disorder most people are somewhat familiar with and sometimes using an extreme is an easy way to make a point. The OP asked if there could be underlying biological issues, and I think this (differences in executive functioning) could be one.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

No. I'm thinking that this isn't the case for most people.

Perhaps not most, but I do think both of these issues would create the behaviour. What do you think are more common reasons that some people feel satisfied after eating what they are cravings and others don't? Do you have any thoughts about why some people seem to resist temptation better than others? Do you think it's biological or emotional, or something else?

(I hope I don't sound badgering with all the questions. I'm just really interested to hear other people's opinions)
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

Personal DIsclosure Alert: I am from a family of normal weight, normal appetite, normal eaters. When I was under 2 (along with several other toddlers in my town) I had the misfortune of eating some bad potato salad at a picnic. Several of us ended up quite ill. I was hospitalized 200 miles from home, NPO, no visitors, on IV fluids, poor prognosis. Fast forward 2 weeks and several lbs lighter, but cured. Suddenly I was a "good girl" who cleaned up my plate regardless of what was put in front of me, and didn't sass back until a full 3 years later, always did exactly what I was told to do, worried my poor parents to death until I finally started disobeying them again. The food thing has always been distorted for me, because I have zero recall of those events. So who knows what happened - something changed, because prior to the illnesss, according to my mom, I was a picky little eater. There may have been a change in my brain or it may have been emotional or it may have been that the illness switched on or off a gene...it doesn't really matter to me, because that was me then, and this is me now, and the "me now" is who I have to make this work for. It would be interesting to know the WHY, I admit, and maybe some researcher should find people like me to study, but it really makes no difference in my daily struggle.

Thank you for sharing this! :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @JaneSnowe: You are welcome!
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

To be clear I only suggested it as an answer in some cases. I think the answer as to why some and not others falls to genetics.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

To be clear I only suggested it as an answer in some cases. I think the answer as to why some and not others falls to genetics.

Oh I don't mind the discussion on addiction (as long as it doesn't get bogged down by semantics)! You've made some thought provoking points.

I think part of it may be genetic too, and for some people (maybe ones who had traumatic events in childhood) it's become a deeply ingrained coping mechanism. For others, well, I'm sure it's highly personal for each one.

I think it's fantastic that the conversation hasn't boiled down to lack of will power, self control issues, laziness, etc. (In before someone says that those are the reasons why some people are fat!!1!)