Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Anyone notice the homeless are joining their 24 hr $10, a month gyms? Read somewhere this is getting more common. Showers, warm, cool sometimes food 24/7 access, wifi, tv, etc not a bad deal.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm surprised that more Americans don't take offence at a marketing campaign that brings others down to sell your product

They do that so people do don't go to muscle houses don't feel intimidated.

But over all I agree with you, If you need to make others look bad, then how good are you really?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I should also note I have seen some very muscular people lifting at our PF. "Lunk" according to what they have posted means grunting real loud, or dropping/clanging the weights, so as to show off or annoy others. They are trying to get people to be courteous and not d-bags. But like I said I have never heard the alarm in my current location. "not judging" means you don't snark the other customers or tell them what to do, once again, just don't be a d-bag. It's not a place to run around flexing with a selfie stick lol, you go there to work out is all.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you can't afford another gym, then do what you need to. However, make sure you ignore the pizza and bagel days, and pass up the free candy at the front desk. Find a smaller, independent gym. I bet you'll find more encouragement there, then PF.

Why does one need to ignore the pizza and bagels? If it fits in your daily calories then have at it.
    The operative word there is "IF." It's common knowledge that your typical American already consumes way too much when it comes to processed, highly caloric food. Not to mention that your typical out-of-shape joe -- PF's target clientele -- is generally less informed when it comes to calories and the amount of effort required to burn them off.

Please explain what the difference is between having pizza and bagels or getting a big protein shake at the protein bars some gyms have that probably has as many if not more calories than the pizza and bagels. Is it ok because the shake is "healthy"?

Do you seriously not understand how protein works in building muscle, and how eating bagels (unless they are smothered in piles of lox) is not terribly helpful for hitting a high protein macro level? This kind of proves people's points about PF.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am a PF member. A brand new one just opened near me. Haven't been other than the tour because I broke my ankle right after I joined. Can't wait until I can drive again!! My plan is to go 3 days a week for resistance training. Maybe do their circuit thing. Might even go to some of the classes.

After all the talk here I researched carefully before joining. I decided that it is fine for me. Every business should have the right to cater to the clientele they wish. Why should a gym be required to have dead lift equipment? If you want to dead lift, go to a gym that allows it.

I wonder if their insurance is less expensive because they don't have heavy weights. That may be why it's only 10 bucks a month.

Many businesses have dress codes. "No shoes, no shirt, no service" signs are around. Isn't that the same thing?

There are gyms that don't allow unfit people to join. Is there the same outrage about that?

If you judge by some of the weightlifters on MFP, I can see their point in not wanting them. They chase people away with agressive behavior. That's bad for business.

PF doesn't have a contract. If a person progresses there is no reason they can't move on to a gym that will meet their needs.

I will have no problem saying no thank you to the food provided. My town has terrible pizza. But isn't the mantra here "you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in a deficit. I eat pizza all the time"?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Those 2 signs posted above are not from any location I have ever visited. I suppose these gyms are like any other chain: Some locations are great, and a few suck, and most are pretty decent. If I went to a location that sucked, then I would transfer to another. Nobody's pizzas, ill thought out marketing campaign, or anything else that won't affect me anyway, will be interfering with my workouts and self motivation. If I did not go to PF I would not be able to go to any gym due to finances. There are times that I work out at home, or do a yoga video, but I like the option to use the machines. They help keep injuries down. I'm arthritic as crap and free weights have not proven a good option for me under the circumstances.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    I wonder if their insurance is less expensive because they don't have heavy weights. That may be why it's only 10 bucks a month.

The biggest driver of insurance is showers. Most gym liabilities (from the few gym owners I know) are due to slips in the locker rooms. As such, their insurance is unlikely to be less. And, if it is, not very much less.
    PF doesn't have a contract.

Yes, they do. Different terms for different levels - the $10 and $15 plans are year-long contracts. The $20 Black Card is not. But they all have contracts.
    But isn't the mantra here "you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in a deficit. I eat pizza all the time"?

Yeah, I'm not sure I really get that complaint, either.

I "hate" the marketing. It's not a place that would work for me, with the dearth of free weights. But, for the average person that just wants to get in better shape, or keep in shape, it's generally fine. Oh, and there's a lot of purple, so that's cool.

• 100df
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

The biggest driver of insurance is showers. Most gym liabilities (from the few gym owners I know) are due to slips in the locker rooms. As such, their insurance is unlikely to be less. And, if it is, not very much less.
    PF doesn't have a contract.

Yes, they do. Different terms for different levels - the $10 and $15 plans are year-long contracts. The $20 Black Card is not. But they

Maybe I got a special deal because it $9.99 a month, cancel any time.
  • CincyNeid
    Options

Please explain what the difference is between having pizza and bagels or getting a big protein shake at the protein bars some gyms have that probably has as many if not more calories than the pizza and bagels. Is it ok because the shake is "healthy"?

1 slice of pepperoni pizza from Little Caesars (where the PF near me gets their pizza):
    280 calories
    31 Carbs
    13 Protein
    11 Fat

1 14oz Muscle Milk protein shake:
    230 calories
    11 Carbs
    25 Protein
    9 Fat

So you're saying that the pizza has the perfect 3:1 Carb to protein post workout nutrition ratio? Cool! I normally have chocolate milk after a workout but glad to know pizza fits the bill too
    :smiley:

That's not how things work. While Pizza might be a good mid cycling-ride snack due to the carbs and fat, it makes a HORRIBLE recovery snack. That's not how things work.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford another gym, then do what you need to. However, make sure you ignore the pizza and bagel days, and pass up the free candy at the front desk. Find a smaller, independent gym. I bet you'll find more encouragement there, then PF.

Why does one need to ignore the pizza and bagels? If it fits in your daily calories then have at it.
    The operative word there is "IF." It's common knowledge that your typical American already consumes way too much when it comes to processed, highly caloric food. Not to mention that your typical out-of-shape joe -- PF's target clientele -- is generally less informed when it comes to calories and the amount of effort required to burn them off.

Do you seriously not understand how protein works in building muscle, and how eating bagels (unless they are smothered in piles of lox) is not terribly helpful for hitting a high protein macro level? This kind of proves people's points about PF.

I don't get your point. When my PF offers, I eat a multi grain bagel and Asiago cheese (they are from Panera) and I have no problem hitting my protein goals for that day. Nutritional needs are very individualized.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm surprised that more Americans don't take offence at a marketing campaign that brings others down to sell your product

They do that so people do don't go to muscle houses don't feel intimidated.

But over all I agree with you, If you need to make others look bad, then how good are you really?

Well, people recommend the Stronglifts 5x5 program here all the time, and the "creator" (quotes used because he basically stole the program from someone else) has repeatedly made misogynistic comments in his newsletters and on his Facebook.

PF is hardly the only group in the business who use language which disparages others, but people are willing to excuse that behavior if they feel it will get them the results they want. Humans are willing to overlook a lot of things in general if the feel the person or party involved is benefitting them in some way.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

PF is hardly the only group in the business who use language which disparages others, but people are willing to excuse that behavior if they feel it will get them the results they want. Humans are willing to overlook a lot of things in general if the feel the person or party involved is benefitting them in some way in general.

I don't contest that. I just don't agree with any-business putting down any other business, to make them look better.
  • 100df
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I should also note I have seen some very muscular people lifting at our PF. "Lunk" according to what they have posted means grunting real loud, or dropping/clanging the weights, so as to show off or annoy others. They are trying to get people to be courteous and not d-bags. But like I said I have never heard the alarm in my current location. "not judging" means you don't snark the other customers or tell them what to do, once again, just don't be a d-bag. It's not a place to run around flexing with a selfie stick lol, you go there to work out is all.

sorry, but if you are lifting heavy weight some level of grunting is going to happen ...you can't deadlift 300+ pounds in absolute silence...

No need to grunt at PF as they don't have 300+ lbs to lift. If someone is grunting at PF they most likely are being obnoxious and are the sterotype PF doesn't want as members.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »

sorry, but if you are lifting heavy weight some level of grunting is going to happen ...you can't deadlift 300+ pounds in absolute silence...

No need to grunt at PF as they don't have 300+ lbs to lift. If someone is grunting at PF they most likely are being obnoxious and are the sterotype PF doesn't want as members.

Deadlifting any challenging weight causes grunting. It's a natural part of exertion. It doesn't have to be 300+ lbs
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I don't get your point. When my PF offers, I eat a multi grain bagel and Asiago cheese (they are from Panera) and I have no problem hitting my protein goals for that day. Nutritional needs are very individualized.

"Do You Even Lift?"

In your case I note that you are a serious runner, but not a lifter, and naturally nutritional needs are individualized, but the split on PF attitudes comes down to DYEL.

To spell it out in greater detail, the poster seemed puzzled as to why serious lifting gyms offered protein shakes, thereby demonstrating ignorance of the basic function of the macro, while very vocally advocating for PF. I suspect PF is not going to be much of a help in educating her, and also suspect there are probably many hapless PF members diligently lifting weights and, sadly, not getting the results they should because the nutrition is just not there. Admittedly I am basing this on comment threads where grown-*kitten* men also mistake smith machines for squat racks, so my previous agnosticism on PF is tipping more and more into amusement over the spectacle.

As a woman who lifts, I find it to be a very challenging macro. On my lifting days, between a 12-oz sirloin and two protein shakes, and a lot of other food, I can generally get in the ballpark of hitting my protein macro. Shakes are particularly helpful on days when I think I am going to barf if I have to see another chicken breast.

And...in the spirit of lifting, I think we can all enjoy these words of broscience wisdom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrVs