Options

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I should also note I have seen some very muscular people lifting at our PF. "Lunk" according to what they have posted means grunting real loud, or dropping/clanging the weights, so as to show off or annoy others. They are trying to get people to be courteous and not d-bags. But like I said I have never heard the alarm in my current location. "not judging" means you don't snark the other customers or tell them what to do, once again, just don't be a d-bag. It's not a place to run around flexing with a selfie stick lol, you go there to work out is all.

sorry, but if you are lifting heavy weight some level of grunting is going to happen ...you can't deadlift 300+ pounds in absolute silence...

No need to grunt at PF as they don't have 300+ lbs to lift. If someone is grunting at PF they most likely are being obnoxious and are the sterotype PF doesn't want as members.

Deadlifting any challenging weight causes grunting. It's a natural part of exertion. It doesn't have to be 300+ lbs

You can't deadlift at PF so it doesn't matter.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm surprised that more Americans don't take offence at a marketing campaign that brings others down to sell your product

They do that so people do don't go to muscle houses don't feel intimidated.

But over all I agree with you, If you need to make others look bad, then how good are you really?

Well, people recommend the Stronglifts 5x5 program here all the time, and the "creator" (quotes used because he basically stole the program from someone else) has repeatedly made misogynistic comments in his newsletters and on his Facebook.

PF is hardly the only group in the business who use language which disparages others, but people are willing to excuse that behavior if they feel it will get them the results they want. Humans are willing to overlook a lot of things in general if the feel the person or party involved is benefitting them in some way.

I was not aware of either of these accusations before and can't find any substantive proof

On the website he clearly states that he is not the creator:

"Stronglifts 5×5 is based on Reg Park’s 5×5 routine. He was the first guy to write about 5×5 in 1960. That means people were doing 5×5 before I was born. I didn’t invent this.
    Read more: http://stronglifts.com/about/"

I've not seen any reports on mysoginism from this site...would you care to share examples?

If this is true then it is important to share

If it's false then it's rather defamatory
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you never want to progress than pf is great...

I'm sorry, what where you saying? I couldn't hear you over the sound of all this progress egi287orm1dr.jpg

That is truly awesome--congratulations!!

Now that you have lost so much weight...imagine the progress you would make if you put on a plate or two and supplemented your biking with benches, squats and deadlifts. What would you look like after a year? What would you look like now if you had been doing that all along?

I am kicking myself for not knowing about the amazing impact that lifting has a year earlier...or ten or 20 years ago. This is what they mean by progress.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you can't afford another gym, then do what you need to. However, make sure you ignore the pizza and bagel days, and pass up the free candy at the front desk. Find a smaller, independent gym. I bet you'll find more encouragement there, then PF.

Why does one need to ignore the pizza and bagels? If it fits in your daily calories then have at it.
    The operative word there is "IF." It's common knowledge that your typical American already consumes way too much when it comes to processed, highly caloric food. Not to mention that your typical out-of-shape joe -- PF's target clientele -- is generally less informed when it comes to calories and the amount of effort required to burn them off.

Please explain what the difference is between having pizza and bagels or getting a big protein shake at the protein bars some gyms have that probably has as many if not more calories than the pizza and bagels. Is it ok because the shake is "healthy"?

Do you seriously not understand how protein works in building muscle, and how eating bagels (unless they are smothered in piles of lox) is not terribly helpful for hitting a high protein macro level? This kind of proves people's points about PF.

I don't get your point. When my PF offers, I eat a multi grain bagel and Asiago cheese (they are from Panera) and I have no problem hitting my protein goals for that day. Nutritional needs are very individualized.

"Do You Even Lift?"

In your case I note that you are a serious runner, but not a lifter, and naturally nutritional needs are individualized, but the split on PF attitudes comes down to DYEL.

To spell it out in greater detail, the poster seemed puzzled as to why serious lifting gyms offered protein shakes, thereby demonstrating ignorance of the basic function of the macro, while very vocally advocating for PF. I suspect PF is not going to be much of a help in educating her, and also suspect there are probably many hapless PF members diligently lifting weights and, sadly, not getting the results they should because the nutrition is just not there. Admittedly I am basing this on comment threads where grown-*kitten* men also mistake smith machines for squat racks, so my previous agnosticism on PF is tipping more and more into amusement over the spectacle.

As a woman who lifts, I find it to be a very challenging macro. On my lifting days, between a 12-oz sirloin and two protein shakes, and a lot of other food, I can generally get in the ballpark of hitting my protein macro. Shakes are particularly helpful on days when I think I am going to barf if I have to see another chicken breast.

And...in the spirit of lifting, I think we can all enjoy these words of broscience wisdom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrVs

I do lift but my lifting is for different reasons and therefore I have different needs. I can still easily get 200g of protein eating pizza and bagels and fit all my macros. My point is the assumption should not be that everyone that uses PF needs to just focus on lifting the heaviest they can possibly lift. Understandable if that is your goal, then PF is not for you. I also understand comments about the marketing. What I will never get is putting everyone in the same category or saying that you can't hit your macros eating pizza or bagels.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nope not for me. I would rather spend the same $20 a month and get all the lifting equipment I need. Retro Fitness.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Now that you have lost so much weight...imagine the progress you would make if you put on a plate or two and supplemented your biking with benches, squats and deadlifts. What would you look like after a year? What would you look like now if you had been doing that all along?

I am kicking myself for not knowing about the amazing impact that lifting has a year earlier...or ten or 20 years ago. This is what they mean by progress.

I am Squatting around 180 pounds plus the bar, and Doing the Incline Seat at 210 plus my body weight.

Not to mention the Top left picture & Bottom Right picture were taken 1 calendar year apart from each other. That's every two months I snapped a new picture.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I went with a friend who joined, because it was cheap. I would not join personally, as it's not set up for what I need. They did have those stupid signs, and the lunk alarm.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    If you can't afford another gym, then do what you need to. However, make sure you ignore the pizza and bagel days, and pass up the free candy at the front desk. Find a smaller, independent gym. I bet you'll find more encouragement there, then PF.

Why does one need to ignore the pizza and bagels? If it fits in your daily calories then have at it.
    The operative word there is "IF." It's common knowledge that your typical American already consumes way too much when it comes to processed, highly caloric food. Not to mention that your typical out-of-shape joe -- PF's target clientele -- is generally less informed when it comes to calories and the amount of effort required to burn them off.

Please explain what the difference is between having pizza and bagels or getting a big protein shake at the protein bars some gyms have that probably has as many if not more calories than the pizza and bagels. Is it ok because the shake is "healthy"?

Do you seriously not understand how protein works in building muscle, and how eating bagels (unless they are smothered in piles of lox) is not terribly helpful for hitting a high protein macro level? This kind of proves people's points about PF.

I don't get your point. When my PF offers, I eat a multi grain bagel and Asiago cheese (they are from Panera) and I have no problem hitting my protein goals for that day. Nutritional needs are very individualized.

"Do You Even Lift?"

In your case I note that you are a serious runner, but not a lifter, and naturally nutritional needs are individualized, but the split on PF attitudes comes down to DYEL.

To spell it out in greater detail, the poster seemed puzzled as to why serious lifting gyms offered protein shakes, thereby demonstrating ignorance of the basic function of the macro, while very vocally advocating for PF. I suspect PF is not going to be much of a help in educating her, and also suspect there are probably many hapless PF members diligently lifting weights and, sadly, not getting the results they should because the nutrition is just not there. Admittedly I am basing this on comment threads where grown-*kitten* men also mistake smith machines for squat racks, so my previous agnosticism on PF is tipping more and more into amusement over the spectacle.

As a woman who lifts, I find it to be a very challenging macro. On my lifting days, between a 12-oz sirloin and two protein shakes, and a lot of other food, I can generally get in the ballpark of hitting my protein macro. Shakes are particularly helpful on days when I think I am going to barf if I have to see another chicken breast.

And...in the spirit of lifting, I think we can all enjoy these words of broscience wisdom:

I do lift but my lifting is for different reasons and therefore I have different needs. I can still easily get 200g of protein eating pizza and bagels and fit all my macros. My point is the assumption should not be that everyone that uses PF needs to just focus on lifting the heaviest they can possibly lift. Understandable if that is your goal, then PF is not for you. I also understand comments about the marketing. What I will never get is putting everyone in the same category or saying that you can't hit your macros eating pizza or bagels.

I am sorry, could you show me exactly where I say this, since this is the argument you are trying to frame up? I am afraid you have misread or misinterpreted what I have written. While you're doing that, please show me where I say people need to "focus on lifting the heaviest they can possibly lift." I am obviously a fan of progressive resistance + proper nutrition + proper knowledge. Seems a hard position to argue against. (SURELY a PF advocate wouldn't be deliberately obtuse to set up a strawman argument? No!)

The poster was equating bagels with protein shakes. That's kind of like a would-be construction worker equating a ball peen hammer with a roofing hammer. "I just don't understand why this roofing hammer exists and why Lowe's would sell it!" Sure, you can drive roofing nails with a ball peen, or insinuate that all hammers are the same, because calories or whatnot, but anyone who is a serious craftsman would also know exactly what to think of you. Of course this works both ways--anyone confused that a marathoner is fueling with high carbs is also likely a fool. Regardless, it seems like it is a kindness to clue someone in that roofing hammers--and protein shakes--exist for a reason.
  • French_Peasant
    Options

I am Squatting around 180 pounds plus the bar, and Doing the Incline Seat at 210 plus my body weight.

Not to mention the Top left picture & Bottom Right picture were taken 1 calendar year apart from each other. That's every two months I snapped a new picture.

Sweet! Sounds like you already have your two plates! And combined with that Cincy terrain...your workouts are probably awesome! I will be super-jealous from my more-northern flat biking terrain. :)

Also, just to clarify, I agree with the other posters that you look absolutely amazing. I just had the feeling that you had more in store with the wonderful progress you have made thus far.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Sweet! Sounds like you already have your two plates! And combined with that Cincy terrain...your workouts are probably awesome! I will be super-jealous from my more-northern flat biking terrain. :)

Also, just to clarify, I agree with the other posters that you look absolutely amazing. I just had the feeling that you had more in store with the wonderful progress you have made thus far.

Yea I went out for a 32 mile ride last Saturday morning and Climbed about 2,000 feet. My progress has been more in performance than physical looks. Sunday a week ago I did the Ride Cincinnati for Breast Cancer and averaged 20mph for the first 35 miles. I did the 45 Mile loop and my wife did the 21 mile section so when I met up with her I slowed way down so I could stay with her. Then just Saturday I took my first Flat Land King of the Mountain on Strava. In fact I've been training for my first Crit on Friday night.

Don't get me wrong I'm still dropping in size. I'm now in a Medium Nike Golf Shirt and I've been having to buy medium Bib Shorts when I go cycling. But it's not as drastic as the first year of weight loss.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I should also note I have seen some very muscular people lifting at our PF. "Lunk" according to what they have posted means grunting real loud, or dropping/clanging the weights, so as to show off or annoy others. They are trying to get people to be courteous and not d-bags. But like I said I have never heard the alarm in my current location. "not judging" means you don't snark the other customers or tell them what to do, once again, just don't be a d-bag. It's not a place to run around flexing with a selfie stick lol, you go there to work out is all.

sorry, but if you are lifting heavy weight some level of grunting is going to happen ...you can't deadlift 300+ pounds in absolute silence...

I'm 60 and do reps with 315 on the deadlift. If you put a blindfold on them nobody more than 5-10 feet away would know what I'm doing.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

"Do You Even Lift?"

I am sorry, could you show me exactly where I say this, since this is the argument you are trying to frame up? I am afraid you have misread or misinterpreted what I have written. While you're doing that, please show me where I say people need to "focus on lifting the heaviest they can possibly lift." I am obviously a fan of progressive resistance + proper nutrition + proper knowledge. Seems a hard position to argue against. (SURELY a PF advocate wouldn't be deliberately obtuse to set up a strawman argument? No!)

The poster was equating bagels with protein shakes. That's kind of like a would-be construction worker equating a ball peen hammer with a roofing hammer. "I just don't understand why this roofing hammer exists and why Lowe's would sell it!" Sure, you can drive roofing nails with a ball peen, or insinuate that all hammers are the same, because calories or whatnot, but anyone who is a serious craftsman would also know exactly what to think of you. Of course this works both ways--anyone confused that a marathoner is fueling with high carbs is also likely a fool. Regardless, it seems like it is a kindness to clue someone in that roofing hammers--and protein shakes--exist for a reason.

You are correct. I am not looking at all of the other stuff you said. Protein shakes or very different from bagels. I was very focused on this specific statement.

I don't know what it proves about PF and I don't need lox on my bagels for enough protein to help rebuild my muscles. I can enjoy a bagel and still get enough protein otherwise based on my protein goals
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If it suits your needs then it's a perfect fit. As long as you go and work while your there. The best gym in the world is worthless if you don't go...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I'm 60 and do reps with 315 on the deadlift. If you put a blindfold on them nobody more than 5-10 feet away would know what I'm doing.

so you don't do them in absolute silence?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

No, not absolute silence. No grunting and weights aren't dropped so as mentioned get 5 feet away nobody knows so pretry quiet.

I see guys pulling 3X bodyweight and you really wouldn't know they were there if you didn't happen to look over
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

No, not absolute silence. No grunting and weights aren't dropped so as mentioned get 5 feet away nobody knows so pretry quiet.

I see guys pulling 3X bodyweight and you really wouldn't know they were there if you didn't happen to look over

thank you for making my point...

I don't scream like a pregnant lady or slam the weights around when DL'ing, but I definitely make some noise and you can tell I am deadlifting...has nothing to do with "showing off" and everything to do with the nature of the lift..
  • French_Peasant
    Options

"Do You Even Lift?"

You are correct. I am not looking at all of the other stuff you said. Protein shakes or very different from bagels. I was very focused on this specific statement.

I don't know what it proves about PF and I don't need lox on my bagels for enough protein to help rebuild my muscles. I can enjoy a bagel and still get enough protein otherwise based on my protein goals

You're running and training for half marathons, so you can eat the whole plate of bagels, hit your macro, and probably still be under your TDEE. Might be going out on a limb, but I am betting that likely makes you a special snowflake in the PF universe. I can and do eat bagels, too (even the extra-evil Cinnamon Crunch, which IS the debbil); I average a TDEE of around 2500 so I have plenty of room for them. That still doesn't change their lack of general usefulness for hitting a 155 g protein macro on a workout day while maintaining a slight deficit, although they are better than a kick in the pants. For not many more calories than a 13 g protein bagel, I can get 51 g protein with 3 scoops of powder in a glass of milk.

However...that vocal PF advocate was setting up a false equivalency between a plate of *free* bagels at a gym where much of the clientele likely lacks knowledge on proper nutrition and protein shakes *sold* at a serious weightlifting gym with serious trainers. She is implying that the criticism about putting plates of free food out in front of potentially overweight, not terribly sophisticated, struggling clientele is moot. She thus reveals herself to be not terribly sophisticated, and hence the sweet spot demographic for PF. That is what I was addressing--not if one should eat bagels or not. Of course, one SHOULD eat bagels, because they are delicious.