Planet Fitness

Options
1234568»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I'm a heavy lifter so I get that. I'm also chronically ill but ding better in the gym than I should
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tscarelli1 wrote: »
    I love PF, The lunk alarm is for grunting too loudly, and dropping weights on the floor, granted, it may seem like judging, but at the same time, there is no need to drop weights just so everyone can look over and see you working out. I find it very annoying and distracting.

I also bench and do squats so they have the proper work out machines. I love the stair climber. I also love the price, can't beat it.

so when you are using 100# dumbbell for chest press how do you suggest getting them to the floor?

or how do you quietly put down a one rep max DL?

I put my dumbbells down like this guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XDxtAOAIrQ

I have seen people almost fall off a bench trying to do that. Or not quite make it, and fall back. It's easier to just drop them.

Maybe they just need to use a weight they can control.

Controlling the weight throughout the actual exercise =\= controlling the weight throughout the exercise and your custom method of putting the weight back down.

ETA as long as you put the weight down safely without breaking anything, who really cares?
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I love PF, The lunk alarm is for grunting too loudly, and dropping weights on the floor, granted, it may seem like judging, but at the same time, there is no need to drop weights just so everyone can look over and see you working out. I find it very annoying and distracting.

I also bench and do squats so they have the proper work out machines. I love the stair climber. I also love the price, can't beat it.

so when you are using 100# dumbbell for chest press how do you suggest getting them to the floor?

I have seen people almost fall off a bench trying to do that. Or not quite make it, and fall back. It's easier to just drop them.

Have you ever seen someone do heavy dumbbell shoulder press? They'll use there legs to help get the weight up, but can control it once it's up to shoulder height.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Controlling the weight throughout the actual exercise =\= controlling the weight throughout the exercise and your custom method of putting the weight back down.

ETA as long as you put the weight down safely without breaking anything, who really cares?

I would agree. Depending on the construction of the dumbbells, like cast iron, they can be cracked/broke by dropping.

I would also think from my personal experience, putting the weights down as in the video is potentially easier on the shoulders.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Their dumbbells only go up to 80 lbs so problem solved.

good point...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Carbohydrates are a easy to break down source of fuel. Unburnt excessive Carbs are broke down to glucose and stored as fat, in the liver and muscles. Which can be burned at a later time. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

I don't have a problem with Pizza, Beagles, Doughnuts or any other pastry based item. But I don't see the purpose of carb loading post workouts.

Hey CincyNeid...It's not really "carb loading" (as you would call what a marathon runner might do to prepare for a race) After a workout or a game think of it more as carb replenishing. Your muscles have burned off their stores of glycogen post workout. What your body really needs is to replenish those stores...which is why I always advise my clients and athletes to get something into their body post activity. Now, if your activity is just taking a walk around the block then no...skip the snack, but post workout....oh man, that's where the magic happens.

Meal timing is pretty much irrelevant except for advanced trainees i.e athletes and bodybuilders

Meal timing from a calorie deficit point of view sure. But timing is important for even intermediate trainees. For me, I don't need to carb load but I definitely need a combination of protein+carbs right after a heavy workout - carbs for replenishment, protein for recovery.

actually you don't...

Not sure exactly what your argument is. Personally I fit in the categories from the follow on posting showing when it would be needed and I definitely am not in the advanced trainee category. If someone fits in those categories, why wouldn't they need it? Other exercise nutritional research points to the same thing. https://www.acefitness.org/blog/5800/3-r-s-of-workout-recovery-nutrition

my point is that meal timing is irrelevant except for advanced athletes...

you are talking about something that may impact what you are doing at a rate of .01%....
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are a easy to break down source of fuel. Unburnt excessive Carbs are broke down to glucose and stored as fat, in the liver and muscles. Which can be burned at a later time. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

I don't have a problem with Pizza, Beagles, Doughnuts or any other pastry based item. But I don't see the purpose of carb loading post workouts.

Hey CincyNeid...It's not really "carb loading" (as you would call what a marathon runner might do to prepare for a race) After a workout or a game think of it more as carb replenishing. Your muscles have burned off their stores of glycogen post workout. What your body really needs is to replenish those stores...which is why I always advise my clients and athletes to get something into their body post activity. Now, if your activity is just taking a walk around the block then no...skip the snack, but post workout....oh man, that's where the magic happens.

Meal timing is pretty much irrelevant except for advanced trainees i.e athletes and bodybuilders

Meal timing from a calorie deficit point of view sure. But timing is important for even intermediate trainees. For me, I don't need to carb load but I definitely need a combination of protein+carbs right after a heavy workout - carbs for replenishment, protein for recovery.

actually you don't...

Not sure exactly what your argument is. Personally I fit in the categories from the follow on posting showing when it would be needed and I definitely am not in the advanced trainee category. If someone fits in those categories, why wouldn't they need it? Other exercise nutritional research points to the same thing. https://www.acefitness.org/blog/5800/3-r-s-of-workout-recovery-nutrition

you are talking about something that may impact what you are doing at a rate of .01%....

Well from experience I have shown that the impact is greater than that.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I should also note I have seen some very muscular people lifting at our PF.
    Chances are that those people were muscular before they started going to PF. I've known a good number of fit people who started going to PF for budgetary reasons, even though they despise the policies there.

I've also met people who use PF as a cheap secondary gym. If they're highly muscular, it's doubtful that they got that way solely because of PF's equipment.
  • ndj1979
    Options

actually you don't...

Well from experience I have shown that the impact is greater than that.

how are you tracking these gains from post workout nutrition?
  • spartan_d
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I love PF, The lunk alarm is for grunting too loudly, and dropping weights on the floor...
    Actuallly, it's for much more than that. See http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592
    granted, it may seem like judging
    That's because it is judging. The PF rep in this video was pretty much forced to admit that.
    but at the same time, there is no need to drop weights just so everyone can look over and see you working out.
    If you think that's the primary reason for dropping weights, then you've never pushed yourself really hard with a free weights workout.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I stopped going to Planet Fitness when I couldn't work out with my trainer (who worked there) anymore. They were afraid I would make other people uncomfortable pushing myself. TRUE story.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    To understand the Planet Fitness philosophy, it helps to look at their website. They say that they "create an environment where you can relax, go at your own pace and just do your own thing without ever having to worry about being judged."

Of course, going at your own pace is fine. Not wanting to be judged is fine as well. The problem is that they promote the notion of a "relaxing" workout. There is a time and place for relaxation, but that's no way to get fit -- especially since much of their clientele probably spends way too much time avoiding strenuous activity.

Ditto with the "just do your own thing" approach. That's not inherently a bad thing, mind you. I don't do yoga or pilates, and people shouldn't be forced to do it. The message they send, however, is that people should avoid being pushed outside of their comfort zones -- that they should avoid doing things that might intimidate them or challenge their confidence. Again, that's a poor recipe for self-improvement.

BTW, I daresay that this is the rationale behind their large "relaxation zones" filled with tanning beds and massage chairs. Let's face it; tanning is unhealthy and does nothing to promote physical fitness. As for the massage chairs, while they can help with relaxation, their actual physical fitness benefits are marginal at best. They certainly are no substitute for sports massage or deep tissue massage, which can actually help with athletic performance.

PF knows that the average American doesn't really want to work out. That's why they prohibit "intimidating" exercises and demonize the "lunks" who do push hard. Heck, PF goes beyond that. They actually try to convince people that relaxing workouts are the way to go, and that's doing their clients a serious disservice.