So you want to start lifting? Great!

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    miss_aims wrote: »
    Squats and deadlifts are my absolute favorite thing to do! I have no idea why people skip these!

@miss_aims
    Squats can be very painful for some people. Just because it's a miracle for most, doesn't mean it is good for every single person.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    I guess I'm the contrarian here. Just started lifting and am doing a push/pull/leg split. For one, I play racquetball or tennis almost daily and doing leg workouts twice a week kill my game. Also some of the core exercises are included (squats, deadlift, rows and bench press). But the main thing is it's enjoyable and I stick to it. The best program IMO is one you're going to do for an extended period of time.

I agree the best program in the world won't work for long if you don't like doing it and stick with it.

I also like squats, but I am a short person and from what I have read they are easier for shorties. On the other hand I HATE lunges of any kind. So I rarely if ever do anything involving a lunge.
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks so this post and these links!
  • mapia79
    mapia79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • Finch000
    Finch000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good advice in here, I started lifting at the end of January and ran strong lifts for the full program length to build strength and a good baseline for other programs. Been doing PHUL since SL ended and the noob gains are crazy. Also doing something like SS or SL really builds strength so quick that it translates into other programs and helps you build your muscles because you can lift much more than most people who just start on an intermediate program. Would highly recommend Strong Lifts as a starting program for anyone who wants to begin lifting.
  • polly_polly
    polly_polly Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    following; thank you
  • kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Ive just discovered this post and just have a question, sorry if its been asked before!

When the OP lists the main compound movements such as Bench, Deadlift, Squat etc....can it be any type of a Bench, Deadlift and Squat? So say for example could I do a dumbell bench press, seated bench press? And for a deadlift can it be any variation such as RDL's? And squats, can it be a goblet squat squat, kettlebell squats, dumbell squats etc

Thanks all
  • 2svelte
    2svelte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to get into the habit of going to the gym 3-4 days a week. Mornings are the best for me. I like that the mornings are quiet and have fewer people at the Y. I get up about 3 hrs before I have to be to work. I just like getting up early. I work 9:30am-6pm. But it's easy for me to sit with a second cup of coffee trying to convince myself to go. Any suggestions? I usually get there maybe 2 times a week.
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Good info bump
  • little_lisid
    little_lisid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump to reread
  • Sel118
    Sel118 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump lots of great tips
  • ellieebxx1
    ellieebxx1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

Thank you I was just about to make a post asking about this!
  • Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks.