Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Helping with Form

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This is why i so badly want to become a Crossfit instructor. I love helping people...help themselves

crossfit and form don't always go hand in hand....

Then you dont know what the heck youre talking about Nice try though.

Pretty sure I do...just watch some of them do pull-ups...Kiiping , really???
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    maybe you need to mind your own business...... really! According to your profile you are only 18....you might not think so, but there is slight possibility that you really DON'T know it all.....
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I only say something if they're on the verge of hurting themselves. Otherwise it's not really any of my business.

But shouldn't we as...people...help each other. It's not like I'm the *kitten* who walks around as a no it all...but i genuinely want to help people.
    And as a fellow athlete, I think it's right we should hold each other to a higher standard

Most people don't want someone telling them they are screwed up. No matter how polite you put it. Their standard and your standard are going to be very different. Focus on yourself and people who want help will ask you or find help on their own.

Also, there have been times that I was "doing something wrong" or had "bad form" and was told as much. What they didn't know is that there was a reason I was doing what I was doing and I was not wrong. You don't know them, their goals, their training plan. You don't see every workout they do.

^Agree with this. I do burpees without touching my chest to the floor. If I did, my pushups would fail way before the rest of the movement. I do burpees to up the intensity, not to work my chest. Likewise, partial-reps are a legitimate training strategy, for squats or any exercise.

It's one thing to be open and receptive to helping others, but another to go around deciding who the "bad" gym people are based on your personal standards. Seems quite arrogant. Unless you're their trainer or psychic or something, I don't know how you'd know anything about their training or program.

How are partial reps a good excersise strategy? That's ridiculous..."here...do half the work and you'll do fine". Maybe for the people who like not making progress.

When you go to the level 1course, they will teach about scaling.
  • moe0303
    Options
    Empty your cup, young grasshopper.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Partial reps are very helpful! Rack pulls have helped my lockout on deadlifts for sure
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is why i so badly want to become a Crossfit instructor. I love helping people...help themselves

So from what you watch...you think you know about it all?? That's rich. You see....the only difference in a killing pull up is that you move your legs for momentum...that's not bad form...unless of course you want to do 200 pull ups strict in a competition for time...good luck with that
  • moe0303
    Options

So from what you watch...you think you know about it all?? That's rich. You see....the only difference in a killing pull up is that you move your legs for momentum...that's not bad form...unless of course you want to do 200 pull ups strict in a competition for time...good luck with that

Kipping pull ups to most lifters is similar to how you feel about partial reps. Kipping removes a significant portion of the work from the back, which is the point of doing a pull up. Many lifters would never do 200 pull ups, they would add weight to ensure they can't do that many. More bang for their buck when it comes to building size and/or strength. This is why I said I would not correct people in the gym, you don't know their training or their goals.

Awesome example. You catching this, grasshopper?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Kipping pull ups to most lifters is similar to how you feel about partial reps. Kipping removes a significant portion of the work from the back, which is the point of doing a pull up. Many lifters would never do 200 pull ups, they would add weight to ensure they can't do that many. More bang for their buck when it comes to building size and/or strength. This is why I said I would not correct people in the gym, you don't know their training or their goals.

my sentiment exactly....

• moe0303
    Options

In that vein, I think it is important to point out that the goal of the kipping pull up is different from the that of a strict pull up. They are different movements with different objectives...like burpees stopping at the top of the push up position.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »

In that vein, I think it is important to point out that the goal of the kipping pull up is different from the that of a strict pull up. They are different movements with different objectives...like burpees stopping at the top of the push up position.

You're right. I wasn't trying to imply that crossfit is wrong for kipping since it's a specific move. I just stated it from the viewpoint of a bodybuilder or powerlifter. A pull up is meant to work the back, a kipping pull up is a different exercise for a different goal.
  • moe0303
    edited June 2016
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »

You're right. I wasn't trying to imply that crossfit is wrong for kipping since it's a specific move. I just stated it from the viewpoint of a bodybuilder or powerlifter. A pull up is meant to work the back, a kipping pull up is a different exercise for a different goal.

Right, I just wanted to expand on the analogy. As a CrossFitter, I took no offense.
  • TheFair0ne
    TheFair0ne Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

You don't have to do, know or teach crossfit to accomplish that. In fact, I'm aware of quite a few people, including my partner, who have been seriously injured doing Crossfit for a variety of reasons ranging from poor technique teachings to pushing them too far too fast. When all you need is a weekend class to get your certification to be a Crossfit Trainer (maybe they changed that requirement, but that's what it used to be), then I can't expect much from said program.

I see quite a few people doing wrong or unhealthy technique. I leave them alone unless I'm teaching a class, I am asked for my opinion, or if it's close friend or family member who I know wouldn't get hurt/defensive by it. Other than that, I'm not responsbile for their knowledge or lack thereof. I expect people to treat me like an adult and I do the same back.
  • brucealfred3
    Options

Eh...I don't agree. Just because people can lift heavy things or do intense weighted pull ups....that's not all fitness is about.
    You have to be able to do multiple things...have no weak points. Killing is simply a way at attaching a weak point....funny how those who criticize are those who've never done it. Lipping pull ups it hardly easier...just gives you the speed for high reps
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I only say something if they're on the verge of hurting themselves. Otherwise it's not really any of my business.

But shouldn't we as...people...help each other. It's not like I'm the *kitten* who walks around as a no it all...but i genuinely want to help people.
    And as a fellow athlete, I think it's right we should hold each other to a higher standard

Most people don't want someone telling them they are screwed up. No matter how polite you put it. Their standard and your standard are going to be very different. Focus on yourself and people who want help will ask you or find help on their own.

Also, there have been times that I was "doing something wrong" or had "bad form" and was told as much. What they didn't know is that there was a reason I was doing what I was doing and I was not wrong. You don't know them, their goals, their training plan. You don't see every workout they do.

^Agree with this. I do burpees without touching my chest to the floor. If I did, my pushups would fail way before the rest of the movement. I do burpees to up the intensity, not to work my chest. Likewise, partial-reps are a legitimate training strategy, for squats or any exercise.

It's one thing to be open and receptive to helping others, but another to go around deciding who the "bad" gym people are based on your personal standards. Seems quite arrogant. Unless you're their trainer or psychic or something, I don't know how you'd know anything about their training or program.

How are partial reps a good excersise strategy? That's ridiculous..."here...do half the work and you'll do fine". Maybe for the people who like not making progress.

Partial reps are a training strategy. They help overcome sticking points on an exercise or built up the weaker portion of a lift. It is a training strategy used by many bodybuilders and powerlifters even at the professional levels.

Partial reps are also a very common in rehab/PT progression.

Ed Coan recently had his hip replaced and posted on IG squats above parallel. Almost all surgeon's THA protocols instruct the patient to not to bend the hip joint past 90 to avoid dislocation. You never know someone in the gym's history. If I saw
    and I didn't know who it was I'd think, "whoa that middle aged dude sure can quarter squat a lot of weight!" It probably wouldn't even occur to me that he was a possible hip replacement patient.
  • brucealfred3
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »

Partial reps are a training strategy. They help overcome sticking points on an exercise or built up the weaker portion of a lift. It is a training strategy used by many bodybuilders and powerlifters even at the professional levels.

Partial reps are also a very common in rehab/PT progression.

Ed Coan recently had his hip replaced and posted on IG squats above parallel. Almost all surgeon's THA protocols instruct the patient to not to bend the hip joint past 90 to avoid dislocation. You never know someone in the gym's history. If I saw
    and I didn't know who it was I'd think, "whoa that middle aged dude sure can quarter squat a lot of weight!" It probably wouldn't even occur to me that he was a possible hip replacement patient.

We aren't talking about rehab patients...actual athletes
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Orthopedic surgeons have to eat too is my view. On the other hand if someone ASKS for help or pointers, I will more than gladly pass on what I know.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

We aren't talking about rehab patients...actual athletes

So Ed Coan isn't an athlete or he isn't an athlete right now because he's recovering from surgery? He's clearly squatting in a gym while he's rehabbing so I'm a bit confused. Maybe you could expand a bit on your thoughts.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

Eh...I don't agree. Just because people can lift heavy things or do intense weighted pull ups....that's not all fitness is about.
    You have to be able to do multiple things...have no weak points.
    Killing is simply a way at attaching a weak point....funny how those who criticize are those who've never done it. Lipping pull ups it hardly easier...just gives you the speed for high reps

So I should be able to run an ultramarathon and deadlift 500 lbs and sprint up mountains on a bike and do the splits while suspending myself off a pole? Cool, I'll get right on that.

People have different fitness goals. They train for them differently. If you want to excel in one area, you're not going to be super awesome in others. You will have weak points. Some people would rather be at the top of their class in one specific area than be a jack of all trades but master of none. Have some respect for that.