Non-Calorie Counters STAND UP!! Share your Tips for Weightloss

Options

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I used MFP to get an idea of how many calories I was eating in a regular day, and what was in the foods I was eating. But am not logging now as I've a history of disordered eating and could feel the dread starting.

I am eating about what I thought, calorie-wise, and as far as strategies to lose when I am too heavy, replacing coffee with tea works, because I only like cafe con leche or lattes (not sugared but so much milk) or just having popcorn for supper a few days a week instead of having suppers, or cutting portion sizes by 1/3, or running more days a week, adding walking in every night - so either increasing output or decreasing input.

As far as strategies to add weight when too light, the best course for me was always a box of Triscuits and a tub of hummus, added in place of any low calorie snacks. So no popcorn, triscuits and hummus. For some reason I could eat these always as additional calories, I did not adjust my other meals, and did not ever seek to reduce exercise, I did heavier workouts, not more hours but more muscle work.

To maintain, it's the scale or measuring tape. Measuring tape preferably, as the scale can freak me out when I am carrying more muscle. I know, logically, that it's healthier to be at a healthy weight but the numbers can rattle me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Millions of people lose weight without counting a single calorie, it is not a necessity. However, I'm one of those who count every calorie I eat. It's like a security blanket for me that tells me i'm on the right track and not eating too much or too little.
    If i were to quit calorie counting, I'd probably cut out snacking and switch to smaller plates for dinner and smaller bowls for cereal and yogurt etc. Because I know I would start the portion creep, by adding one more shake of cereal or an extra dollop of ice cream or yogurt. My eyes are waaaay bigger than my belly.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories. I eat low carb, high fat. I base my meals around meat, eggs, and fibrous vegetables, with moderate amounts of whole dairy products (generally cream, cheese, and full fat yogurt), seeds and nuts, and low sugar fruit. Occasionally I'll have a small portion of starchy veg, sweeter fruit, or grains. Eating this way helps keep my hunger in check, so I can trust my hunger signals and I find it very difficult to over eat. Lost 50 lbs in seven months three years ago, and have kept it off since. I did have to log at first, to get a feel for how many carbs were in various foods (I didn't pay much attention to the calories tho), and I will do a "spot check" from time to time, loggin for a few days or a week, just to make sure I'm still on track. Works for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm Tandi! I wanted to hear some of the "non-calorie counters" (Those who choose not to count calories)tips for weight loss. Even if you've lost 1lb and feel this routine/regimen is working for you, feel free to share!

I will start: I made a decision to stop counting calories, as this does not work with me. I've tried for years to keep taking the same advice I read about and receive from people and is still unsuccessful. I now focus more on nutrition. I track and ensure I am taking in the essential nutrients/minerals daily (Vit A and C, Fiber, Protein, etc.) within moderation of course.

I lost a good 20 Lbs without calorie counting and then another after I started using MFP. I started counting namely because I became more interested in nutrition and I wanted to get a better idea of where I was really at...I was losing weight just fine without counting though.

Basically I took stalk of what my diet was and identified areas which I could make significant changes for the better...for example, I was a 3-6 soda per day guy...that's like 700+ calories right there that could easily be removed, so I did. I stopped eating lunch out pretty much every single day and started brown bagging it most days.

I also knew I didn't eat enough veg and fruit, so I made it a point to have a couple servings of fruit per day and 4-6 servings of veg...which meant I pretty much started eating veg and/or fruit with every meal and snack...it replaced a lot of the higher calorie "junk" I was snacking on. I started eating more lean cuts of meat and watching my portions...I used to eat beef pretty much five days per week, and usually fattier cuts...I started eating a lot more fish and chicken and leaner cuts of beef and pork. I also introduced more whole grains...and again, started looking at what an actual recommended portion was and started weighing or otherwise measuring that out rather than just throwing food on my plate. I also started cooking with less oil as I used to cook with a ton of it.

Beyond that, I started exercising regularly...mostly walking at first and then progressed to some jogging and almost four years later I'm a pretty avid cyclist and gym rat.

Counting helped me balance things out a bit more and made me further aware of my portions, etc...I logged and lost another 20 Lbs. I have been in maintenance over three years and I don't log anything...I just focus on good livin' and doing the things that healthy, lean, and fit people do.

I was hoping you'd show up. You were the only non counter I could think of.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I lost weight not really counting calories for awhile. I just decided to 'eat healthier'. That was fine until I stalled about 50-60lbs in for 2-3 years between 210-220. Once I started calorie counting, the weight loss resumed and at a good clip until I lost nearly 100 more pounds.

I'd love it if I never had to calorie count, but I just don't think that is a reasonable long term strategy for me to keep my weight off.
  • changedbyhisgrace
    changedbyhisgrace Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Honest question, here. Not trying to be a jerk or insinuate you're unwelcome, but why are you on MFP if you don't count calories?

Because I use it as a tool to track my vitamins and meet people who are struggling with weight loss as well.I think without support one cannot be successful.
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I lost weight not really counting calories for awhile. I just decided to 'eat healthier'. That was fine until I stalled about 50-60lbs in for 2-3 years between 210-220. Once I started calorie counting, the weight loss resumed and at a good clip until I lost nearly 100 more pounds.

I'd love it if I never had to calorie count, but I just don't think that is a reasonable long term strategy for me to keep my weight off.

I totally get it... it's not for everyone. I am happy to hear of your weight loss, awesome. Again, there are so many other parameters that goes into weight loss other than counting calories. I feel it's emotional as well as physical. As I heal in other areas I find I was successful. But again, I am happy that worked for you.
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm Tandi! I wanted to hear some of the "non-calorie counters" (Those who choose not to count calories)tips for weight loss. Even if you've lost 1lb and feel this routine/regimen is working for you, feel free to share!

I will start: I made a decision to stop counting calories, as this does not work with me. I've tried for years to keep taking the same advice I read about and receive from people and is still unsuccessful. I now focus more on nutrition. I track and ensure I am taking in the essential nutrients/minerals daily (Vit A and C, Fiber, Protein, etc.) within moderation of course.

I lost a good 20 Lbs without calorie counting and then another after I started using MFP. I started counting namely because I became more interested in nutrition and I wanted to get a better idea of where I was really at...I was losing weight just fine without counting though.

Basically I took stalk of what my diet was and identified areas which I could make significant changes for the better...for example, I was a 3-6 soda per day guy...that's like 700+ calories right there that could easily be removed, so I did. I stopped eating lunch out pretty much every single day and started brown bagging it most days.

I also knew I didn't eat enough veg and fruit, so I made it a point to have a couple servings of fruit per day and 4-6 servings of veg...which meant I pretty much started eating veg and/or fruit with every meal and snack...it replaced a lot of the higher calorie "junk" I was snacking on. I started eating more lean cuts of meat and watching my portions...I used to eat beef pretty much five days per week, and usually fattier cuts...I started eating a lot more fish and chicken and leaner cuts of beef and pork. I also introduced more whole grains...and again, started looking at what an actual recommended portion was and started weighing or otherwise measuring that out rather than just throwing food on my plate. I also started cooking with less oil as I used to cook with a ton of it.

Beyond that, I started exercising regularly...mostly walking at first and then progressed to some jogging and almost four years later I'm a pretty avid cyclist and gym rat.

Counting helped me balance things out a bit more and made me further aware of my portions, etc...I logged and lost another 20 Lbs. I have been in maintenance over three years and I don't log anything...I just focus on good livin' and doing the things that healthy, lean, and fit people do.

I truly appreciate your input. That's exactly what I am trying to express. Focus on healthy living, exercising, eating right, portion control.. I didn't mean to cause this huge uproar with those that count calories, geesh
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Honest question, here. Not trying to be a jerk or insinuate you're unwelcome, but why are you on MFP if you don't count calories?

No worries and I will be happy to answer, there are other app applications to use like tracking exercise and your nutrition. I don't understand the hostility when everyone is struggling with weight loss. We should encourage one another not stear one away because do not agree or use the technique you are utilizing for weight loss. Real talk
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How do you track your essential nutrients and minerals?

Click "nutrients" I input food to track nutrients and exercise. Also, have a good support system here.
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    I don't know how "counting calories" can not work, unless you're not counting them right - but CICO is the rule, calorie counting is just one way to get there.

I count calories because I like knowing how much I've eaten and how much I have left to eat... but I've found that most people who do not count calories stay under their maintenance calories (aka, lose weight) by cutting out particular foods and eat mainly foods close to how they come "naturally", not many carbs and small portions.

Again, that's what work for you and I think I've been calorie counting longer than you've been alive. No two bodies are alike but in this society one must talk the same, look the same fit in a box and do the same to seem "normal". I don't calorie count and you know what, I will prove this work.
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    I read this article about how someone dropped 50 lbs not by counting calories but eating nutritious food. The article also has an Asian flair but much of the wisdom can be used in our life as well. Regarding calories: an important takeaway from the article is if you eat fresh and natural food, it should be naturally filling and nourishing, and it won't be easy to eat beyond your proper calorie range.

I've been followings some of the suggestions provided, now I'm 7 pounds down and didn't really make too much effort.

Read the article if you have time. It's not a short one, but definitely gives very strong insights on some most critical topics on weight loss.

That's awesome to hear!! Thanks for your tip and positive feedback
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    laurchell wrote: »
    I go through phases of counting to not counting. I count them while going through phase A, which is aiming to lose about 5 lbs. Then I stop to begin phase B, I eat intuitively to build strength and maintain weight. It reinforces my body to keep off the weight once it's gone. I lost it, and don't particularly care to find it.

Thanks..your insight helps! :)
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    OP, so what's your strategy of keeping your amount of eating in check? How exactly do you focus on nutrition?

Before I answer... isn't nutrion more important than mere calorie counting? You can eat a big Mac and fries and stay within your caloric intake. So is that healthy?? I am still wondering why so many people are throwing shade for something that clearly does not work for me and some others. I am happy that you calories but there are other elements of weight to focus on than mere calorie intake.
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    helena_jj wrote: »
    I use counting portions, not calories. In my opinion, it is very similar. Works excellent in my case.
    I know also about intuitive eating, but have never tried it. My plan is to try it after I lose all the weight. I heard a lot how nice it works. I can only recommend some books about it.

I would love to hear more about the books on portion control. Thanks for your positive feedback.
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hi there,

Um, this is a calorie counting site. Doesn't make sense to not count calories on a calorie counting site.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I disagree.

If other parts of the site are helpful or enjoyable for people why should they not participate just because they don't use the calorie counting feature?

And many people do lose weight not counting calories ( yes I realise they still lose by being in a deficit but they don't count calories to get to it) so why should there not be a thread asking about them?

Thank you!!!!
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It's a shame this place is labeled only as a calorie counting website. It has more to offer and I think would be even more valuable if other options & paths to weight loss and fitness were readily accepted.

My tips:eat mostly whole foods, lots of fruit and vegetables. Avoid foods that cause cravings & binges, embrace foods that keep cravings & binges at bay. Don't stress over food, try new recipes.

Agreed. It is called my FITNESS pal. Not my CALORIE pal.

There's another calorie counting app/website called CALORIEcount. I can definitely see that one being dubbed a calorie counting website.

I counted calories to lose weight. Without counting, my weight loss is very slow. But I don't count when maintaining. I just eat sensibly.

I'm maintaining now and still use this app daily. I love the forums. I guess they're a substitute for not having Facebook for me! Lol

Thank you so much for your support!!!! This was not meant to bash the people that choose to calorie count. I just wanted to create an open forum for those that had tips for other techniques that work for them. This turned into World War Z, geesh
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Portions are controlled by counting calories...