Bookworms

Options

Replies

• SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    another bookworm here. I started reading when I was 4. We were living above a library at that time. What more can you wish for?
    I read pretty much everything - crime, Jane Austen, survival stories, biographies, whatever my mood tells me to read. I currently re-read The Godfather.

Those who like something haunting - try "The Road" (you might know the movie with the same title).
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Recommend to me a long series I can sink my teeth into. Here's some ones I've enjoyed/re-read multiple times (with the more favorite ones on top).

Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
    Song of Ice and Fire
    Harry Potter
    The first ~5 of the Wheel of Time
    The first 2 Dune
    Incarnations of Immortality
    Hunger Games
    Vampire Chronicles
    Well World
    Chronicles of Narnia

The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Best. Series. Evar.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Recommend to me a long series I can sink my teeth into. Here's some ones I've enjoyed/re-read multiple times (with the more favorite ones on top).

Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
    Song of Ice and Fire
    Harry Potter
    The first ~5 of the Wheel of Time
    The first 2 Dune
    Incarnations of Immortality
    Hunger Games
    Vampire Chronicles
    Well World
    Chronicles of Narnia

The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Best. Series. Evar.

I couldn't get past the one where they were in the train.
  • lisciousg24
    lisciousg24 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    joolie1234 wrote: »
    I was up till 2am finishing Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter. I'm normally a historical fiction buff tho.

Sometimes the book is too good to put down!
  • lisciousg24
    lisciousg24 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I've never tried Agatha Christie
    Dean Koontz is my favorite though

I like reading Patterson, Sanford, Stephen King.

You'll love Agatha Christie if you love crime novels *_* I can never guess the murderer till the last pages
    Only know King, the others are horror authors too?

Dean Koontz is more of a mystery kind
    Not so much like Stephen King
    But he's great!

i actually quit reading him after the way the last Frankenstein story kind of flopped. i loved the first two but the last ones were just a slog to get through. plus he's never finished up the third christopher snow novel yet and he was my favorite.

Agree! The first few Frankenstein books were better than the latter. But he's still my favorite!
    Have you read "From the corner of his eye" by Dean Koontz
    That was a very good one
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    jammer1963 wrote: »
    Great book. The series they produced for Hulu staring James Franco was excellent. I am a huge Stephen King fan. The Dark Tower series is a must read for all his fans. He's the reason I wrote a book :)

Yeah I have the series and hopefully will get to it soon "after I finish East of Eden, which is awesome" :love:
    What's the title of your book? Perhaps we can check it out "btw, this is so cool!"
  • mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    Stephen King is where I make my home. Most recently I just finished Mr. Mercedes. I also picked up his last volume of the Mr. Mercedes series End of Watch and got to see him speak in Louisville. (It was everything I hoped it would be and more)I also love Agatha Christie, autobiographies, and some of the old stuff like Beowulf, The Illiad, The Oddessy, ect. My favorite book is to Kill a Mockingbird.

High five!! Poirot with his egg shaped head has been close to my heart since middle school :love: And the first novel I ever read for Stephen King was Mr Mercedes, was epic and since then I have been devouring his books like a starved!
    Will read the oddessy and how to kill a mockingbird soon!

• mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    sorauren wrote: »

The Magician series by Lev Grossman is sort of grown up Harry Potter. I'm only on the first one but liking it. Bearing in mind I read with my kids so these are more teen/young adult, I liked Suzanne Collins Gregor the Overlander series more than her Hunger Games one. The new Rick Riordan book Trials of Apollo had me snickering out loud.

I have been planning to read the Trials of Apollo "I'm a Rick Riordan fan" can you share your thoughts on it? :smiley:
  • mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    another bookworm here. I started reading when I was 4. We were living above a library at that time. What more can you wish for?
    I read pretty much everything - crime, Jane Austen, survival stories, biographies, whatever my mood tells me to read. I currently re-read The Godfather.

Those who like something haunting - try "The Road" (you might know the movie with the same title).

Living near a library is a blessing :love: We had one across the street
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    mayoosh_primrose, loving Trials of Apollo. Did you like Magnus Chase? He's found his humour in the last few books. Trials has Apollo lose his godly status (and looks, he's pimply and flabby and can't cope) and indentured to a young demi-god.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm really into thrillers. Gone Girl, Girl on a Train, Sharp Objects, Pretty Girls as well as young adults
  • NinjaoftheBeastAjah
    NinjaoftheBeastAjah Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading The Wheel Of Time Series..on book 5. Amazing Story!!!!!
  • mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    sorauren wrote: »
    mayoosh_primrose, loving Trials of Apollo. Did you like Magnus Chase? He's found his humour in the last few books. Trials has Apollo lose his godly status (and looks, he's pimply and flabby and can't cope) and indentured to a young demi-god.

Yeah :love: I read the Sword of Summer and it was pretty good!
  • lina1016
    lina1016 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Finally a whole thread about books! Lol I can't wait to read some of the books you guys mentioned. ☺️
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I need to start reading again but don't know where to start
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Anyone a VC Andrews fan? Those are what got me hooked. I used to read 2 or 3 books a week before I had kids
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    Anyone a VC Andrews fan? Those are what got me hooked. I used to read 2 or 3 books a week before I had kids

What's that
  • nahmm83
    nahmm83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Love reading!!! Anything from Paula Hawkins, Liane Moriarty, John Grisham at the moment.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »

What's that

Her biggest seller was Flowers in The attic.. Her books were all kind of Dark/Gothic fiction. Someone else writes under the name now and they kinda went down hill but the books written by her were great.

• pie_eyes
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »

What's that

Her biggest seller was Flowers in The attic.. Her books were all kind of Dark/Gothic fiction. Someone else writes under the name now and they kinda went down hill but the books written by her were great.

Oh

You're so me, when are we hanging