June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    My next race is two hours from my house. Seems silly to drive two hours the night before and waste money on a hotel, so I will have to get up at 3:30 a.m. and be out the door by 4:00 to get my registration packet at 6:00 and then catch a little nap before the 7:00 start... or... any of you in the Cleveland area let me sleep on your couch?

Or put your racing clothes on, drive up there the night before, find the closest rest/truck stop on the highway. Pull-over, pop the seat back and snooze. I'm surprised the zen in you hasn't figured out that one yet. LOL
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Getting closer on that goal.
    Fun fact. People wave more at you if you are shirtless. Who would have guessed

Were these people waving, really women that resemble @Elise4270 ?
    lol

*Giggle* um, ya! I saw what they were waving at.

Wait, did you edit out something about you and a wet white t-shirt?
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Or put your racing clothes on, drive up there the night before, find the closest rest/truck stop on the highway. Pull-over, pop the seat back and snooze. I'm surprised the zen in you hasn't figured out that one yet. LOL
    Well... I DID think about that, but then my super-zen me perked up and said, "I bet there are some really cool bars with live music in Cleveland and that is way better than a rest stop". I really suck at not listening to super-zen me, so I think we are staying home and getting up early.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift The only time I have the twitchy muscle is when they are tired. It could be an imbalance or just plain ol' tired. I'd just try some basics, massage, fluids and rest. It sounds like it could be that peroneal longus muscle.

Have you changed shoes? Need new shoes? Changed terrain?

Edit- After rereading your symptoms, the stop and it goes away with rest but flares with running, sounds like it could be threatening tendonitis.

It doesn't hurt like my previous and numbered bouts of tendinitis have been, but I'll be on watch for it! I think you probably hit the nail on the head with "plain ol' tired." I jumped from ~26 miles a week during my slump to 45 to 56, and this week I'm feeling much better (on track for north of 50 miles again) now that my legs are remembering how to take a beating. I bet the shin muscley tendon thingie is just a bit overworked. But will that keep me off my feet? Heck no! Because I'm stubborn as all get out! ;)

9voice9 wrote: »
    Got a question for our elites (@Stoshew71, @MobyCarp, @Ohhim, etc. - don't be mad if I didn't list you in that group: it's a lot of folks with lots of experience/knowledge):

How do you combine long runs with races (especially 5Ks)? We're getting ready to head into race season, and around here, most of the races I do are 5K (but this would also apply to 10Ks) on Saturday, and that's the day I usually do my long run (aiming at 9-10 miles, maybe more this fall as the weather cools a little).

If I'm gonna run a 5K/10K race, what does that mean for getting in mileage/time on a long run? I really can't move the long run to a different day because of my life schedule, and I'd like to maintain my 35-40 (or more?) miles/week.

Wasn't tagged, but I run a buttload of miles too! :) Typically what I would do is run the 5k and then tack on slow, easy miles after (and then do a long run on Sunday, as is my norm). However in your situation, if the only weekend day you run is on Saturday, then I'd warm up a bit for the 5k (1-2 miles), run the race (3.1) and then do an extended cool-down to round out the run (5-6 miles).

I've got my own conundrum coming up with 5ks/a Fourth of July race... I want to do one on the day since it's sort of tradition, but since 7/4 falls on a Monday this year and Monday is usually my recovery run after long weekend miles... I've gotta move some things around! We'll see how that goes!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Well... I DID think about that, but then my super-zen me perked up and said, "I bet there are some really cool bars with live music in Cleveland and that is way better than a rest stop". I really suck at not listening to super-zen me, so I think we are staying home and getting up early.

I also thought of the bar scene at your destination. Funny how we think alike (in some areas). I can understand you staying home to avoid super-zen.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    7 miles through the woods with friends today as two of us were in recovery from speedwork yesterday.

6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - 8 miles
    6/3 - 13.5 miles
    6/5 - 13.5 miles
    6/6 - 9 miles
    6/7 - 10 miles
    6/9 - 12 miles
    6/10 - 9 miles
    6/11 - 8 miles
    6/12 - 12 miles
    6/13 - 4 miles
    6/14 - 1 mile
    6/15 - 4 miles
    6/17 - 5.5 miles
    6/19 - 6 miles
    6/20 - 5 miles
    6/21 - 13 miles
    6/22 - 9 miles
    6/23 - 9 miles
    6/24 - 7 miles

Total: 162.5 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 37.5 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5

@Elise4270 - given my ironman exercise schedule (about 3 hours/day), just cutting back on intake and focusing on proteins is my usual approach to weightloss. 1 lb/week just requires about 700 calories/day of deficit, and with about 1500 calories of exercise (and actively logging of food here), it isn't too tricky.

@9voice9 - I usually only race 1 5k and 1 10k/year, but try to do them along with a long run the next day (as the ones I do are usually on Saturdays). Once I get to 15k and halfs, I setup as stepback weeks.

@Orphia - I think you are ready for one, as your training distances to date are pretty consistent with HM training plans. If the weather looks good for Saturday, definitely give a race a shot!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I've got my own conundrum coming up with 5ks/a Fourth of July race... I want to do one on the day since it's sort of tradition, but since 7/4 falls on a Monday this year and Monday is usually my recovery run after long weekend miles... I've gotta move some things around! We'll see how that goes!

Aw, c'mon! You're a marathon runner. A 5K is just a tempo workout to you. Maybe take the Sunday long run a little easier than usual, and you'll be fine.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Getting closer on that goal.
    Fun fact. People wave more at you if you are shirtless. Who would have guessed

Were these people waving, really women that resemble @Elise4270 ?
    lol

*Giggle* um, ya! I saw what they were waving at.

Wait, did you edit out something about you and a wet white t-shirt?

Ya :blush: I thought it might elicit a bad image. I did get a lot of attention the day I ran in a wet white shirt. I thought I was just cool, but realize it may have been the shirt.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Ohhim .. 1500 calorie burn is probably where I'm lacking. I'll shoot for 1000+ (from ~600) with ample protien when I come back.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    For a 5K race, you get in a 2 or 3 mile warm-up, run your race, then get your extra miles in quickly after the race. 10K you probably don't need as many miles as a warmup.

The other thing you can try to do is time your cutback weeks to coincide with races.

Sounds good. Follow-up question - I'm running 6 days/week, aiming at 35-40 miles/week. Teach me about cutback weeks. When, how much less, strategy, etc.... Please. :smiley:
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    ...I wasn't up to running 8 miles at race pace and still getting 22 total in, so I didn't register.

I don't run many 5Ks. When I do, I like to do my warmup as an easy run preview of the entire course. That guaranteed more than 6 miles that day.

On another occasion, I ran a 5K course as a preview, then ran the race, lived with about 7 miles on Saturday, and just shifted my long run to Sunday that weekend.

Bottom line: If you're looking at a long run of 10 to 13 miles, it's not that hard to work more mileage around a 5K or a 10K. If you're looking at a long run more in the 16 to 22 mile range, it's more problematic. It can be tough to run the short race at a true race pace and still be in good enough shape to get in peak long run miles.
    That sounds good - but I don't have enough educated experience yet to know what is a race pace, or an easy, or whatever. I mean, I know what McMillan says, but mostly I just get out and do what I do. That's the next step is to learn pacing.

Thanks.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I still have three more pages to read through, but I'll post now because I am inspired by @skippygirlsmom 's horrible toenail. I think I'd be trying to help it off if it's waking me up in the middle of the night hurting. My middle toenail has turned black and I'll probably lose it (again--twice in one year!) but at least it doesn't hurt.

I rested yesterday when I went to chemo with my friend. We had a good talk about her plans for the future and it came up that she'll probably be doing reconstruction surgery at about the same time next year as her mastectomy this year--which means that even *if* Disney offered me a deferment for my half marathon (which wasn't looking likely), she couldn't go with me next year, either. So my husband and I decided that rather than waste the $$$ I have wrapped up in entrance fees and party tickets and such, that he and I would turn it into a weekend getaway as our Christmas/25th anniversary gift to each other. Hopefully no one *else* will decide to go and get diabetes or something while we're gone and my older daughters will be able to hold down the fort with some remote assistance from Nana if needed.

Today was the first day of no school and I was thrilled to start my run a little earlier than I do when I have to be the "mom bus". I did 5 miles on the rail trail/neighborhood streets. The sunny bits were...warm. But the run overall was really good and my knees hurt way less than Wednesday. It looks like I'm going to make that 75 miles I was afraid might be impossible this month, too. :)

exercise.png

• PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays..... send this link to your friend... this guy is awesome...

http://www.allentattoo.com/mastectomy/
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays..... send this link to your friend... this guy is awesome...

http://www.allentattoo.com/mastectomy/

Wow. That is really quite beautiful work.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    @Orphia - I think you are ready for one, as your training distances to date are pretty consistent with HM training plans. If the weather looks good for Saturday, definitely give a race a shot!

Thanks very much! I value your input, and everyone else's who've commented.

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Last night, I finally gave up waiting for the rain to arrive and cool things down and went for a run anyway. Much shorter than planned, I could only take it for 40 minutes - guess I should have known what would happen if I run through a forest by the lakeside on a hot summer evening:
    Moskitos! I have one bite on my back, one on the arm, 5 on my right leg and 12 on the left leg. If I'd stayed out any longer , they would have eaten me alive!

@MNLittleFinn if you have to weight the shoes to figure out which ones are heavier, the differences are probably not that large. I have one pair of shoes which have me thinking "holy cow, those are HEAVY" every time I put them on, those I'd never wear for a long run (or HM ). For all others, I figure the difference is probably in the same range as carrying my keys and an extra gel packet around, don't think that bit of weight makes a huge difference.

• kristinegift
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Aw, c'mon! You're a marathon runner. A 5K is just a tempo workout to you. Maybe take the Sunday long run a little easier than usual, and you'll be fine.

That's what I'd normally do, except that now I'm doing double long runs on the weekends to avoid double 2-a-days! By Monday, my legs are fried! But whatever race I do, I doubt it will be all-out since it's summer and it's hot and my legs are lazy when the temperatures rise.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    6/1: 5 miles
    6/2: 6.4 miles
    6/3: Rest
    6/4: Lazy
    6/5: 9 miles
    6/6: 5 miles
    6/7: 4 miles
    6/8: 6.5 miles << Wednesday group run
    6/9: 6.4 miles << Thursday PUB RUN!
    6/10: Rest day finally
    6/11: 13.1 << Halfway Half (unofficial)
    6/12: 10 miles
    6/13: 6 miles with Joe2Go crew
    6/14: 6.2 miles << Group runner send off! :'(
    6/15: 5 miles
    6/16: 7 miles
    .......: 6.4 miles << Thursday group run!
    6/17: Long awaited rest day
    6/18: 10.2 miles
    6/19: 16 miles
    6/20: 6 miles
    6/21: Rest day
    6/22: 8 miles
    6/23: 7 miles << Buddy-up'd tempo run
    ........: 6.3 miles << Thursday crew run!
    6/24: Rest day!
    6/25: 18 miles!!

I decided to switch up my LR days this week. My running group was doing this 10.5 mile loop this morning that is hilly and gorgeous and shaded almost the entire way, and I couldn't resist. I tacked 2 miles onto the front and 7.5 onto the end and got my long run in a day early! It was humid and foggy to start, but then the temperatures rose about 10F and the humidity burned away a bit. My allergies have finally (mostly) gone away, so other than 90% humidity, my breathing is finally good, which has made these long runs much more enjoyable.

Weird shin thing was weird for the first few miles. I purposefully made zero stops until the weirdness went away, and then it stayed gone and my leg felt perfectly normal for the bulk of the run. That tells me its definitely muscular, and probably just something that's tired or firing weird. I'm just going to keep running through it since it's something that does go away eventually during a run, on its own.

Now for Gatorade, a protein bar, a shower, then a massive pizza because USPS delivered some coupons in our mailbox yesterday. :smiley:

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    7/4: A 4th of July race somewhere!
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Via Marathon (Allentown, PA)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Spent an hour cleaning out the garage yesterday and then more time outside cleaning my car. Not sure if it was the heat or the dirty garage but I ended up with asthma issues for hours and a stuffy nose. Took benadryl which knocked me out from 8:30 last night until 7:30 this morning. So I'm taking some mucinex now today to clear my lungs and I'm planning to do an 8pm run tonight. I think I'll be fine. Good news is we have some cooler weather coming next week! Below 90 some days and overnights back into upper 60s.