Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    wadwrich wrote: »
    I'm feeling discouraged. I know I shouldn't weigh every day, but I do. I don't mind seeing a +/-1 pound fluctuation, but over the past 3 days I have gained 3 pounds. I was 277 three days ago and am 280 now. I have been walking every days for a burn of close to 500 calories (2.7 miles, half of that uphill). I am eating very clean. I add nothing but some salt, pepper, and garlic. Chicken breast, salmon, lentils, tomato, olives, evoo, cucumber, spring mix, walnuts, oats, apples, bananas, grapes, oranges, and a 6 oz glass of red wine. None of that out of a can or jar except the olives. Mfp gives me 1750 calories for a two lb loss per week. I eat 1200-1300 a day and sometimes I have to make myself eat more to hit that. I stay satisfied. I can't understand why the 3 lb in 3 days gain. I know I am doing awesome. I guess I will just keep going even if I keep gaining because I know I am doing everything "right". It's just so disheartening. Talk about a bad start to your day...

This happens to all of us, sometimes a lot. Try eating the 1750 that MFP gave you for a day or two and see if that doesn't budge the weight down. And watch how much starchy/sugary carb you are consuming ... a high carb of that nature day for me always sets me on a slight weight gain the next day even when I stick within my allowed calories and serving size of say, pasta.

PS ... edited to add ... and fruit other than berries. And (giggle) I hope you didn't eat all those foods you listed in one day! :)
    Also, try adding in raw celery, raw carrots (or lightly sauteed), onions, broccoli to increase the type of vegetables you are getting in. Maybe some coleslaw as well, and something fermented like hard cheese, yogurt or Kefir or barrel cured pickles. (The fermented foods do a bang-up job of keeping your gut healthier and things digesting better instead of hanging out in your gut.)
  • Nikion901
    Options

Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

My Wednesday Wish is that the housework good-fairy comes to visit my house and brings all the required cleaning supplies and manpower to give this house a good shake up. I am missing the barefoot walk on my bare floors when they are spanking-new clean.

Yes, I know I could wash them myself but I don't do such a good job now that I cannot get down on my knees to do it, and mopping them just doesn't provide the same feel underfoot.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 Cinderella scrubbing is one of my major sources of weekend exercise... but I think my knees are in better shape than yours. I actually really like to clean. It gives me great satisfaction to have everything put away, organized and tidy. My SO and I just have very different definitions of "organized". He likes everything to be visible and immediately accessible, while I like everything I'm not using to be out of sight. The kitchen and bathroom counters are an ongoing battlefield. :tongue:

My wishes for the week are that I make progress on my overhead press and I find time and pleasant weather to get in the city pool. And for a whoosh, because I can feel the fluid retention in my calves and biceps and I'd love to be rid of it.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    I'm going shopping today to pick up a couple of ingredients I lack to make my favorit coleslaw recipe. This is really good and lasts for a long time in the fridge (cannot say how long becaue mine is always gone within a week.)

Niki's Summer Salad Coleslaw
    1/4 of a head green cabbage (about 1 pound of cabbage) - thinly shredded and placed into a large bowl
    3/4 to 1-teaspoon salt - sprinkle over cabbage (depending on you salt tolerance, you can add a little more)
    1/2 English cucumber - thinly sliced into rings, leave skin on - add to cabbage
    1 long carrot - thinly sliced into rings - add to cabbage
    1 small onion - thinly sliced into rings - add to cabbage
    1/3 yellow sweet pepper - halved and then thinly sliced. - add to cabbage

Optional - 1 rib celery - very thinly sliced and added to cabbage (I always add this)

1 teaspoon white sugar - sprinkle over vegetables in bowl
    2 tablespoons of Canola oil - drizzle over vegetables in bowl
    1/4 cup distilled white vinegar - drizzle over vegetables in bowl (or use champagne vinegar. If you use Rice vinegar, skip the sugar)

Toss everything together well. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.

Note, as the slaw sits it will develope a 'brine' because salt draws out moisture from the cabbage and cucumber. This is fine, don't toss it. You can stir it back in or leave it out as you prefer and then toss it after the salad is all gone.
  • wadwrich
    wadwrich Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I'm feeling discouraged. I know I shouldn't weigh every day, but I do. I don't mind seeing a +/-1 pound fluctuation, but over the past 3 days I have gained 3 pounds. I was 277 three days ago and am 280 now. I have been walking every days for a burn of close to 500 calories (2.7 miles, half of that uphill). I am eating very clean. I add nothing but some salt, pepper, and garlic. Chicken breast, salmon, lentils, tomato, olives, evoo, cucumber, spring mix, walnuts, oats, apples, bananas, grapes, oranges, and a 6 oz glass of red wine. None of that out of a can or jar except the olives. Mfp gives me 1750 calories for a two lb loss per week. I eat 1200-1300 a day and sometimes I have to make myself eat more to hit that. I stay satisfied. I can't understand why the 3 lb in 3 days gain. I know I am doing awesome. I guess I will just keep going even if I keep gaining because I know I am doing everything "right". It's just so disheartening. Talk about a bad start to your day...

This happens to all of us, sometimes a lot. Try eating the 1750 that MFP gave you for a day or two and see if that doesn't budge the weight down. And watch how much starchy/sugary carb you are consuming ... a high carb of that nature day for me always sets me on a slight weight gain the next day even when I stick within my allowed calories and serving size of say, pasta.

PS ... edited to add ... and fruit other than berries. And (giggle) I hope you didn't eat all those foods you listed in one day! :)
    Also, try adding in raw celery, raw carrots (or lightly sauteed), onions, broccoli to increase the type of vegetables you are getting in. Maybe some coleslaw as well, and something fermented like hard cheese, yogurt or Kefir or barrel cured pickles. (The fermented foods do a bang-up job of keeping your gut healthier and things digesting better instead of hanging out in your gut.)

Yeah I eat most of that in one day. But usually just one or two pieces of fruit. The veggies go together in a salad with no dressing and a tsp (1/3 of a serving) of the evoo. I put walnuts in my oats at breakfast. No sugar or anything added. I might put banana or grapes in there too. When I put fruit in my oats, I might have another piece of fruit as a snack later in the day and that makes my 2 pieces of fruit. I never eat more than that. Then I'll have some other lean meat and some lentils for my other meal. So chicken on the salad (about 4 oz) and that's dinner. Oh yeah and I do put some feta cheese on that. Then maybe salmon and some lentils for lunch. Then the oats, nuts, and fruit at breakfast. Is that really all that bad? I mean I have made a DRASTIC change in how I eat. I used to would eat a whole large pizza by myself at lunch while I sat in my car because I didn't want anyone else to see me down a whole pizza. Almost every meal was fast food. Surely I am doing better now. Do I really have to keep tweaking my diet that much to be like "well lets see... hmm... maybe one less piece of fruit (can't have those carbs!), lets add more vegies, blah blah blah?" I don't know. I thought I was doing good. Maybe I'll just go back to my 2 protein shakes and 4 oz of chicken a day for a total of 500 calories. THAT was working. *shrug* *sigh* Sorry if I'm being sensitive. I just hate it when things are so complicated. The two shakes and chicken takes all the guess work out of it. Health be damned. Excuse my language. I feel like people can't possibly know the level of frustration I am at right now, but I know that so many of you are in the same boat as me. Sorry. Just blowing off steam. I'll stop now.
  • wadwrich
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So it turns out that I have been eating more calories than I thought. Apparently some manufacturers of lentils don't put the true calories per serving on their packages. They do net calories or something like that where they subtract calories from fiber away because it doesn't get digested the same or something. So where I thought I was eating about 1200-1300 a day, I was really eating about 1500-1600 a day. Still not over my allowance of 1750, but now my projected weight loss isn't what I thought it was. No biggie. The mistake has been corrected. It's weird to me how they can do that. It makes it tough to keep up with because now I feel like I have to second guess everything. One of the joys of being a fat man on a diet.
  • LissBlisspgg
    LissBlisspgg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wednesday wishes...right now I am so very hungry and forgot to dethaw my tilapia....so I wish it would hurry I don't want to get hangry!!
    I also wish that my children continue to stay as cooperative as they have been thus far today :) and that we have a great time on our hike and finally at the splash park aafterward
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @wadwrich -- no need to apologize for your frustration. That's why we're here. :) I've experienced similar frustrations with doing everything right and seeing no result on the scale. Someone mentioned taking body measurements. Have you done this? I know it's very rewarding to see the inches decrease, especially when the scale is stubborn. Another question, do you pretty consistently eat the same calorie allowance everyday? If so, it might help to add one higher calorie day every couple of weeks-- say about 2000 calories-- to shake things up. Our bodies get used to the lower calorie intake and will adjust by slowing down our metabolisms, so one high calorie day (not of junk food, just more of the healthy stuff) can sometimes help. Maybe you've already tried this, but I'm just throwing ideas out there.

@badnoodle -- I also like stuff put away. Our problem is that we don't have a very big house, so it's hard to find a proper home for everything.

@niki-- if the housework fairy shows, please send him my way when he's done with your place. LOL

@laurie-- As far as I know, I should be available at the end of July. We are a little up in the air with making any weekend plans in July and August b/c my MIL and her fiance are in the process of moving and then they will get married in a small, family-only ceremony. However, I'm sure they won't plan anything for a Friday, so it's a safe bet we can make plans for the 29th. Keep me posted.

Wednesday Wish:
    I've been in the same boat as several others with the uncooperative scale. I started the summer at 195. I've lowered my intake and upped my activity, and the scale responded by going up, hovering at 198 for the past week. Today it was back down to 196, so my wish is that the downward trend continues for me and for everyone else who is struggling with this same issue.

Getting ready to go get the car detailed and then run some errands. I decided today will be a rest day other than walking the dog.

General Goals:
    1. Change water filter on fridge
    2. Get car detailed
    3. Make doctor/dentist appointments
    4. Take winter coat to cleaners
    5. Find someone to repair shed

Fitness Goals for the month of June:
    Visit gym of run outside minimum of 10 times 9/10
    Run at least 23/25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    198 k done/ 802 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + run outside DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE TWICE + gym DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Fri-- walk gunner + mow lawn
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A loss is a loss. And it is better than a gain or the same.

I lost .3 pounds last week. Yep, point three! I consider that a win.
  • wadwrich
    Options
    mickey2942 wrote: »
    A loss is a loss. And it is better than a gain or the same.

I lost .3 pounds last week. Yep, point three! I consider that a win.

Heck yeah it is.
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This is my first time posting here. So yep, I'm a newbie! My Wednesday wish is that eating healthy will give me the energy to get more exercise. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia. My doctor suggested I eat more protein for energy and monitor it. She suggested MFP. She was right, I wasn't eating enough protein so I'm fitting that in my diet now. I'm also trying to balance my macros. They were really out of whack!! And sodium!!! It hides everywhere!!! Since I have high blood pressure, I'm trying to cut that back too! I thought I was doing good in that area, I switched to lite salt and stopped adding salt when I cooked. I can't even imagine how much sodium I was eating years ago!!! Yikes!!! Anyway, I'm 57, retired, a grandma of 3 (2 from my daughter and 1 from my son). I live in a rural area of Michigan with my second husband and 2 dogs! I have over 100 pounds to lose but if I lost just 100, I would be happy. I just want to feel better! I've dieted all my life to lose weight and I did, however, I always gained it back plus some. For the first time...I'm dieting for my health.
  • flabflipper314
    flabflipper314 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @wadrich, I know you said that you have to force yourself to get to 1200-1300 sometimes. Maybe to get to your 1750 you should add some good fats. Now I'm always hesitant to do that because all I think about is, "OMG! 1 tablespoon of that is 120 calories!" I only have 1350 according to my dietitian for my lifestyle and limited mobility. I want to be able to eat VOLUME so I stay full. My daughter is on Trim Healthy Mama and has lost 55 lbs in less than a year eating lots of good fats....olive oils, coconut oil, etc. She even has SOME fatty meats. I'm not recommending you do that, but maybe you and I should both try making some of our calories the good fats. I see you eat walnuts, that's good. Nut butters and nuts should be a way for you to up your calories to the 1750. I'm sure you've heard that your body needs fuel and maybe you need to make sure you have those calories close to 1750 so your walks will really pay off. Our bodies actually fight to keep hold of the fat when we aren't feeding it enough because it goes into starvation mode...even if you don't feel hungry.

Of course, you know that I'm just thinking of a solution, but I might be way off base. Best to ask your doc, but I know if I had 1750 calories to eat, I would find a way to use them all. lol
  • Nikion901
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »

Yeah I eat most of that in one day. But usually just one or two pieces of fruit. The veggies go together in a salad with no dressing and a tsp (1/3 of a serving) of the evoo. I put walnuts in my oats at breakfast. No sugar or anything added. I might put banana or grapes in there too. When I put fruit in my oats, I might have another piece of fruit as a snack later in the day and that makes my 2 pieces of fruit. I never eat more than that. Then I'll have some other lean meat and some lentils for my other meal. So chicken on the salad (about 4 oz) and that's dinner. Oh yeah and I do put some feta cheese on that. Then maybe salmon and some lentils for lunch. Then the oats, nuts, and fruit at breakfast. Is that really all that bad? I mean I have made a DRASTIC change in how I eat. I used to would eat a whole large pizza by myself at lunch while I sat in my car because I didn't want anyone else to see me down a whole pizza. Almost every meal was fast food. Surely I am doing better now. Do I really have to keep tweaking my diet that much to be like "well lets see... hmm... maybe one less piece of fruit (can't have those carbs!), lets add more vegies, blah blah blah?" I don't know. I thought I was doing good. Maybe I'll just go back to my 2 protein shakes and 4 oz of chicken a day for a total of 500 calories. THAT was working. *shrug* *sigh* Sorry if I'm being sensitive. I just hate it when things are so complicated. The two shakes and chicken takes all the guess work out of it. Health be damned. Excuse my language. I feel like people can't possibly know the level of frustration I am at right now, but I know that so many of you are in the same boat as me. Sorry. Just blowing off steam. I'll stop now.

No No No! You ARE doing good ... great in fact ... but if you are concerned because you have seen a weight gain 3 days in a row, then it's time to think about how much you are really eating. You took offense at my giggle about the food you listed ... sorry ... I was joking with you. But I have to admit that when I read the list I thought "No way is that only 1200-1300 calories in one day". But, of course, I do't know how large the portions are of the foods you mentioned so it could be if you are eating small amounts of the foods. I apologize.

And no again, you do not need to tweak your foods based on my or anyone elses comments. What you eat is your choice, but if you cry out in frustration, people will want to help you problem solve by telling you what worked for them that you might consider trying to see how it works for you.

Edited to add ... again, sorry if you took offense. :)

And ... what Skinnyjeanz said about upping your cals occasionally is a valid suggestion ... that's why I recommended you eat at the 1750 that MFP assigned based on your goals. Too few cals over an extended time can be problematic for many people; me included.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all, happy Wednesday! My Wednesday wish, that my pecs didn't hurt so much from yesterday's physical therapy! My therapist had me do 5 sets of 10 reverse push-ups (using straps on a bar above my head - basically angled pull-ups) and 5 sets of 8 table pushups (from a hip-level table). Ouch! I guess I'm going to have to do a lot more of those to get in better shape. I've missed a lot of appts in the last 4 weeks that I and my DH were sick, so I have to make up for lost time.
    Buffet luncheon today at work, I have pre-selected and packed away my dinner and evening snack, and allowed myself one mini-brownie so I won't touch the so so scrumptious looking cakes that are also over there. I will NOT visit the food tables again - I won't, I won't, I won't!!!!!! Will be within 100 calories of my limit I think. AND I will go walking later to try to offset some of the extra sugar calories from the brownie.
    Tracy
    TX
  • GOINSTD12
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well, I failed to keep my feet from taking me back to the buffet, ended up having a 1/2 slice of cake and 2 bites of cherry pie..... BUT I did walk twice and do 10 minutes on the elliptical so I feel like I am doing ok.
  • GOINSTD12
    Options
    I decided to go to the gym after work so the elliptical will count for Thursday not Wednesday. doesn't matter, it's still calories burned.
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wednesday Wish: I wish I can just drop all this weight! At least I've been able to maintain my weight but I'm still at my all time high (just 2 pounds shy). Thank you to those who replied to my last post forever ago (I miss you all and this thread!), I've still been hiking but not regularly. I average about 2 times a week. Good news though, I feel stronger and faster on the trails, and my knees are feeling stronger too. I guess that's a non scale victory =]. Today was my second time on the trail this week, but I want to go again on Friday, and then Monday because I'm off work. Maybe I can make it a long one and early in the morning. I think 3 times a week is manageable, at least I'll have 4 rest days.

Today was my first time logging my foods after a long time....not my best food day but tomorrow will be better. I have a renewed sense of motivation. I want to lose some weight and I'm giving myself until April 2017 to reach my goals. Star Wars Celebration in FL is in April and I want to be ready because there will be cos-playing, pictures and meet & greets with actors so I want to look my best. I'm so excited and I can't wait!

-Sarah
  • LissBlisspgg
    LissBlisspgg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thursday-truth, some days I just want to say screw it...yolo...let me eat what I want, do what I want and just be. I know bad attitude but it's the truth, luckily it's not how I think all the time but I do have my moments.
  • jlolsen516
    jlolsen516 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth is I'm extremely frustrated! I have very agressive rheumatoid arthritis and my dr put me on prednisone. She didn't however tell me that it can cause excessive weight gain! If she had told me at the time, I wouldn't of taken it! I took it for three months and gained 27 lbs! I am back to my all time highest. I stopped taking the prednisone, but now she is starting me on methotrexate, which is a chemotherapy. *sighs* Stupid health....
    On a positive note, I am really serious about getting my weight under control for my health. I am starting clean eating, and looking up everything I can about it and how to do it. I'm also cutting out sugar. It'll be hard, but not harder than staying over 100 lbs overweight!!
  • LadyRaeB
    LadyRaeB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm new! I don't have anything to add to the Thursday truth posts, but I'll be back tomorrow!