Is it even possible for ANYONE to be a size 0/1?

Options

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The only clothes that come in a size 0 here in Aus are babies clothes.
    How anyone can be a size nothing totally confounds me! I would love to know why and who came up with ridiculous concept..

@Christine_72 - I might be mistaken, but I think our size 0 is the equivalent of Aus size 4. Measurement wise I think it's like a 24" waist. Our sizes are pretty messed up here, but they added it because of vanity sizing. We even have a 00.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    robs_ready wrote: »
    This is a genuine question, is size 0 even healthy?

I'm 5' tall and ~113 pounds and a size 0 is just about right for me - I've got pretty narrow hips.

Also, a size 0 now isn't the same as a size 0 from a while back. I have a pair of shorts my aunt gave me (these shorts are probably 20+ years old now) and they're labeled as a size 8, but are about as snug as the 0's I've picked up at Target recently.

A size 0 isn't possible for everyone, but there's plenty of folks that can fit into that size and be a healthy weight also.

~Lyssa

Exactly. I'm 5'3" and 109 pounds. I'm not a size 0 at Target anymore, I'm a 00. The vanity sizing in the US, especially at Target, is out of control. In equivalent sizing I'd be between a UK 4 and 6.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I'm 5' tall and ~113 pounds and a size 0 is just about right for me - I've got pretty narrow hips.

Also, a size 0 now isn't the same as a size 0 from a while back. I have a pair of shorts my aunt gave me (these shorts are probably 20+ years old now) and they're labeled as a size 8, but are about as snug as the 0's I've picked up at Target recently.

A size 0 isn't possible for everyone, but there's plenty of folks that can fit into that size and be a healthy weight also.

~Lyssa

Exactly. I'm 5'3" and 109 pounds. I'm not a size 0 at Target anymore, I'm a 00. The vanity sizing in the US, especially at Target, is out of control. In equivalent sizing I'd be between a UK 4 and 6.

Agreed! If I slim down anymore, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do for clothes...I stopped by a Chico's, I think, and they have a 00 that fell right off me! 000 shouldn't exist as a size.

I need to learn to sew, I guess.

~Lyssa
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How anyone can be a size nothing totally confounds me! I would love to know why and who came up with ridiculous concept..

@Christine_72 - I might be mistaken, but I think our size 0 is the equivalent of Aus size 4. Measurement wise I think it's like a 24" waist. Our sizes are pretty messed up here, but they added it because of vanity sizing. We even have a 00.

Our sizes here don't go below a size 6, not that I've seen in any stores anyway. So i "think" an American size 0 would maybe be an Aus size 6. My 5'2 skinny as a rail daughter never fit into a size 6, she was a size 8 as a teenager. So yeah, i think the measurements are different, it's most confusing!!
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

Vanity sizing is INSANE! I'm a size 0 in some brands but others are way to big for me in general. I'm 5'4.5 and 130. I do have very narrow hips and broad shoulders but still!

If it gets worse, they'll have to make 000 and 0000. I wouldn't be surprised if a 000 existed!
  • whatever_46
    whatever_46 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

Vanity sizing is INSANE! I'm a size 0 in some brands but others are way to big for me in general. I'm 5'4.5 and 130. I do have very narrow hips and broad shoulders but still!

If it gets worse, they'll have to make 000 and 0000. I wouldn't be surprised if a 000 existed!

See, now that kind of shows the fact that for some women they just can't fit into a US size 0. I'm 5ft 4.5in and even at a weight of 125 couldn't fit into a size 0....or a size 1 for that matter! I was pretty skinny but my bone structure just wouldnt allow it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options

Our sizes here don't go below a size 6, not that I've seen in any stores anyway. So i "think" an American size 0 would maybe be an Aus size 6. My 5'2 skinny as a rail daughter never fit into a size 6, she was a size 8 as a teenager. So yeah, i think the measurements are different, it's most confusing!!

I agree. My daughter is petite and wears size 6 or 8. Many ranges don't go lower than 8 and we have never seen lower than 6. Any ladies smaller than that ( they would be very small) would have to go to children's clothing.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options

I have seen size 4 here (Australia) in fancy fashion shops and in stores that cater for petite (not just short) people. I always hold them up in amazement that an adult's bone structure could be so small but some people are. I think I could probably be that size if I was literally just my skeleton without muscles or skin!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I will never be a size 0 and I'm okay with that. Right now I'm 5'6" 156 lbs and in a size 9 and I could probably squeeze into an 8 but I haven't bothered to buy new jeans until the 9's get too loose. My hips are too wide to probably be able to fit into anything smaller than a 6.
  • Christine_72
    Options

I agree. My daughter is petite and wears size 6 or 8. Many ranges don't go lower than 8 and we have never seen lower than 6. Any ladies smaller than that ( they would be very small) would have to go to children's clothing.

Or Supre :tongue: Is that store still around?

I have seen size 4 here (Australia) in fancy fashion shops and in stores that cater for petite (not just short) people. I always hold them up in amazement that an adult's bone structure could be so small but some people are. I think I could probably be that size if I was literally just my skeleton without muscles or skin!

Lol I'm so with you there!!!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I wear smaller than a 000 which is smaller than I was a teen. My waist size is several inches smaller (was 25, now 22), so yes it's possible to be a size 0 or 1. I haven't found any companies that make waist sizes smaller than 23". 0 and 00s aren't that small anymore, I think most people could fit into a 0 if they really wanted to at most major stores due to vanity sizing.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My good friend's daughter is 5' 8", weighs about 120, and wears a size 0 - 2. Two of my grown-women friends are tiny, tiny women -- their figures are very narrow, straight, and flat. They wear size 2.

• Christine_72
    Options
    I really wish they would 'regulate' women's clothing sizes in the US. I've got jeans that span two and a half decades and I can pull out four different sized pairs that fit me almost identically since they keep changing what measurement equals which size. I'd love to go by measurements and be able to order online. A made up number doesn't change my physical size. I hate vanity sizing.

Yeah, I would never buy clothes online. Who the hell knows what size you'll end up with. Even dhoe sizes differ from company to company.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My daughter wears a US women's size 0. She is a very slim 16 year old who is as tall as an adult woman but otherwise could wear child sizes. I don't expect that in a few years she will be wearing that size as her body is still growing.
    Clothing sizes are just random numbers that vary by brand anyway. Don't get stuck on what size clothing you wear and just buy clothes that fit.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I actually do order dresses and tops online with a good amount of success , with the slacks I have to just know a certain brand - LEE Jeans for example , will fit.

It is fine to order online if the physical store is nearby and accepts returns, this works with Old Navy, Macy's , Penney's and they arrive at my house in about two days.

My present size is likely a 4 and yes, I was happy at size 0 - getting there again, anyone's guess.