Is it even possible for ANYONE to be a size 0/1?

Options

Replies

• VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    For those of you ladies who are also size 0 (or under), I'm curious as to what your measurements are? Because I'm a 0 (close to 00) and mine are 32-23-34. Just wondering if there's similar/common measurements for these small sizes. And what height and weight are you? I'm 5'6 and 125.

Approx 31, 24.25, 34.5. 5'3", 109 pounds.

Also, as a sidenote, not everyone aspires to be a size 0. It certainly wasn't in my plans, I was just built this way. American sizing is what's "weird" to be honest.

Goodness. I wear a size 0. Really shows how different measurements can vary, even with sizes.

I'm 33, 27.5, 32. 5'4.5 and ~130 lb. I suppose if I wore very high waisted pants, I'd likely have to buy a 2 or something. My waist is large compared to others. :neutral: All my jeans sit on my hips though so my jeans are size 0s.

I guess I'm a banana/ruler body type. :-(

I can't wear a size 0. Not sure I'll ever be able to (I'm okay with that). I'm 36, 26, 36.5 (my hip measurement has gone up slightly since starting strong curves). 5'4.5 and 125.4 lbs. All my shorts and jeans are 2-4 or juniors 5-7. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to wear a 6 in some brands.

Oh my goodness. To be honest, I'd love to have those measurements. I've always kind of wished I had an hourglass figure!

You do have an hourglass figure. Hourglass figure = bust and hips the same or close to the same measurements with a small waist comparison. If your waist was the same or about the same as your bust and hips then that would be banana/ruler.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    For those of you ladies who are also size 0 (or under), I'm curious as to what your measurements are? Because I'm a 0 (close to 00) and mine are 32-23-34. Just wondering if there's similar/common measurements for these small sizes. And what height and weight are you? I'm 5'6 and 125.

Also, as a sidenote, not everyone aspires to be a size 0. It certainly wasn't in my plans, I was just built this way. American sizing is what's "weird" to be honest.

Goodness. I wear a size 0. Really shows how different measurements can vary, even with sizes.

I'm 33, 27.5, 32. 5'4.5 and ~130 lb. I suppose if I wore very high waisted pants, I'd likely have to buy a 2 or something. My waist is large compared to others. :neutral: All my jeans sit on my hips though so my jeans are size 0s.

I can't wear a size 0. Not sure I'll ever be able to (I'm okay with that). I'm 36, 26, 36.5 (my hip measurement has gone up slightly since starting strong curves). 5'4.5 and 125.4 lbs. All my shorts and jeans are 2-4 or juniors 5-7. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to wear a 6 in some brands.

Oh my goodness. To be honest, I'd love to have those measurements. I've always kind of wished I had an hourglass figure!

You do have an hourglass figure. Hourglass figure = bust and hips the same or close to the same measurements with a small waist comparison. If your waist was the same or about the same as your bust and hips then that would be banana/ruler.

I guess I meant more of a difference between my hips and waist. I guess it's about a 4 inch difference. I was basically referring to a >4 inch difference between the two.

Maybe my eyes see something else but I look pretty much straight up and down just glancing at me! Eh! I guess everyone sees themselves differently than the outside world!
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I guess I meant more of a difference between my hips and waist. I guess it's about a 4 inch difference. I was basically referring to a >4 inch difference between the two.

Maybe my eyes see something else but I look pretty much straight up and down just glancing at me! Eh! I guess everyone sees themselves differently than the outside world!

I'm sure you look fine :)
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I'm sure you look fine :)

Haha thanks! :smile:

It's one of those "grass is always greener on the other side" type of things!

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

First time I heard that. Though doing a google search does bring up banana. I've only heard of apple, pear, hourglass, rectangle.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    00 makes me cry. I'll never be that size, and I don't think I'd look good at that size. I've got a large frame, and despite knowing this, it bugs me when I'll be a sixteen and others who weigh more than me are wearing 12s. It almost feels like it's not fair. But then again, if I was a 12, I'd be super happy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    AmyWebb2 wrote: »
    00 makes me cry. I'll never be that size, and I don't think I'd look good at that size. I've got a large frame, and despite knowing this, it bugs me when I'll be a sixteen and others who weigh more than me are wearing 12s. It almost feels like it's not fair. But then again, if I was a 12, I'd be super happy!

Lol I hear you. I hate my large frame. Large waist, large shoulders, large ribcage, wide hips... bleh. I look like a tank.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure even my skeleton can't fit a size 0. Even at my goal weight I don't even expect to be in single digit sizing - but I am old and don't ever expect to have the body of a teenager either!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sorry but can we stop referencing a size 0 as a teenager's size/body? I'm a size 0 and a 31 year old woman. I'm not starving, I'm not sick, and I'm not killing myself to maintain it. It's the frame I was born with and the body I've built through hard work. When I was a teenager I was a size 13 to 16. Not everyone has to be a size 0, but the not-so-subtle shade being thrown at the size is a bit much. I'm not targeting any poster in particular but I've noticed overall there seems to be an aura of vitriol regarding the size. It's a tad offputting.

I should have said the body I had as a teenager - which wasn't a size 0 either. I do believe people of any age can have the right body type to be a size 0 - just not me. My mother is tiny. Definitely not a teenager and probably isn't that far off from size 0.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Some people can definitely be a size 0. I have never, nor will I ever be a size 0. I have a huge bone structure and even at my skinniest, I was a size 5. I would have to be considered under-weight to fit into a size 0 (for my body type)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sorry but can we stop referencing a size 0 as a teenager's size/body? I'm a size 0 and a 31 year old woman. I'm not starving, I'm not sick, and I'm not killing myself to maintain it. It's the frame I was born with and the body I've built through hard work. When I was a teenager I was a size 13 to 16. Not everyone has to be a size 0, but the not-so-subtle shade being thrown at the size is a bit much. I'm not targeting any poster in particular but I've noticed overall there seems to be an aura of vitriol regarding the size. It's a tad offputting.

I just re-read the thread to see if I missed something, but as far as I can see, nobody disparaged size 0 or implied it was for teens only.

I think you might be reading into people's comments too much, because I honestly don't see anything I'd call hostile.

Edited to add: If my posts seemed to you or anyone as if I were implying only a skeleton would fit into a size 0, that isn't at all what I was talking about. I was referencing my own bone structure, which is tall and broad. I apologize if I wasn't clear and you felt like I was taking a swipe at you or anyone else.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I just re-read the thread to see if I missed something, but as far as I can see, nobody disparaged size 0 or implied it was for teens only.

I think you might be reading into people's comments too much, because I honestly don't see anything I'd call hostile.

Edited to add: If my posts seemed to you or anyone as if I were implying only a skeleton would fit into a size 0, that isn't at all what I was talking about. I was referencing my own bone structure, which is tall and broad. I apologize if I wasn't clear and you felt like I was taking a swipe at you or anyone else.

Not you at all. Many posters in this thread have been fine. Just a few references to being a teen's body, people aspiring to weird things due to size 0, and someone saying they don't like the size 0 "look" are a few that come to mind. If I said I didn't like the size 14 "look", more than half of the women in America would want my head on a stick. There were a few other threads where the size was mentioned in such a way.

I absolutely understand part of the disdain due to societal standards but I just wanted to throw it out there because sometimes on this board, and in real life, I get subtly and not-so-subtly reminded that my size makes people think I starve or I'm less of a woman because I have no "shape" when I do or that it's not a "woman's shape" because no woman that has had kids can be a size 0 which is not only untrue but falsely ties being a mother to being a woman. Size 0 is a stupid as hell size (thanks America!) but is still a size.

One size doesn't fit all thankfully and that's definitely what the takeaway of this thread is about overall.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think the takeaway from this thread is that yes real people do wear size 0 and clothing size is just a stupid number that doesn't even help you find clothes that fit since nothing is standardized. It does not mean anything about you as a person.
    Size 0 is smaller than size 16. A person who wears either size may be a teenager, a mom or a senior citizen.
    My teenager wears a size 0. A lot of teenagers her age do not wear that size. I'm happy the size is available. She has been very slim all her life. We have constantly had to find adjustable waist pants or sew waistbands. Size 0 fits her well now with no adjustments. It is wonderful to just buy her regular pants. If a slim 30 year old is the same clothing size as a slim 16 year old I don't see the insult to her womanhood.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on height. It's a lot easier for 5ft woman to fit a size 0 than a 6ft woman. I'm 5'9 and I would have to weigh about 110lbs to be that size. Plus it wouldn't look good. I have a tiny Kelly Ripa'esque friend who is 00 and looks great but I would look skeletal of I tried to wear the same size.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    absentmindedhousewife Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I was 18 I weighed 105 lbs at 5'10". This was normal for me. I did not diet. I ate like a horse.

My clothing size? 5 to 8. Even as underweight as I was I still had the bone structure around my hips that made this my size.

I'm 41 now. I weigh 141. I've lost 30 lbs and I'm at the end of it. My size is 8 to 10. I carry more weight in my arms, legs, breasts and torso. I look much healthier. I would never want to return to my high school weight.

As a seamstress, I've sewn for thin size 14s and chubby size 4s. The clothing size means nothing when it comes to how one carries their flesh.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think it would be painful and dangerous for me to try. I think I'm a UK size 8-10 at the moment. If you're in the US that's a 6-8. A US 0 is UK size 2, and I didn't even know they made clothes in that size. Size 6 was always the smallest you could get, I used to shop in the children's department when I was smaller though in my early 20s, but was probably a size 6-8 (4-6 in US)
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Given that I was a size 6 when I was 3 lbs from the bottom of my healthy BMI range (5'9" 128lb), I think I can confidently say that even centuries after I'm dead, when there is nothing left but a pile of old dry bones, said bones will still not fit into a size 0.

On the other hand, by then with vanity sizing, a 0 may well fit a family of 4 and their cat, so I guess I should never say never.

Ha!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Given that I was a size 6 when I was 3 lbs from the bottom of my healthy BMI range (5'9" 128lb), I think I can confidently say that even centuries after I'm dead, when there is nothing left but a pile of old dry bones, said bones will still not fit into a size 0.

On the other hand, by then with vanity sizing, a 0 may well fit a family of 4 and their cat, so I guess I should never say never.

Exactly. I'm a good ten pounds from the bottom of my "healthy" weight per BMI, not especially petite at 5'4", and I'm a 0 or even 00 in a lot of mall brands because the vanity sizing is so out of control. Some brands, like Old Navy, often swim on me even in the smallest size.

Meanwhile, some other (usually designer or euro) brands I'm a 4 or 6 and I can comfortably wear my mom's size 8s from the 1980s and my own 6s from high school, so I try not to take clothing size as an indicator of anything.

On the plus side, my height and weight makes me fit perfectly into kids' sizes 12-16 depending on brand, so I'm saving a ton of money that way! If US brands keep up the ever-expanding clothing I guess I'll just have to get used to wearing pants with puppies on them to work :lol:
  • Citycat2015
    Citycat2015 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Re talking about teens as size 0. The OP asked if everybody could be a size 0. My answer about my 11 year old likely never being a size 0 in adulthood was in response to this question. No. Everybody cannot be a size 0. Frame and height etc needs to be taken into account. No shaming size 0's here. I was very comfortable and healthy at 115 pounds and 5' 7 throughout my 20s and early 30s. If I had lived in the US I could have very well been a size 0. But that wasn't what the OP asked about.