WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY

Options

Replies

• cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Natalie, I completly understand how you feel. You see, I had bilateral knee replacements done in 2003 and it was THE best thing I ever did. I couldn't walk very far, was falling down, my knees didn't bend and I walked like Herman Munster. I tried everything....nothing worked. Celebrex, ibuprofen and tylenol were keeping me mildly comfortable....and sleeping was the pits. I had them replaced and now, you can't stop me. No pain, I wear high heels, and do everything I want....except run and jump. I hope that you find something that helps you knees....in the mean time...ice packs might help somewhat.

I hope that everyone has a great 4th. To those that are spending their holidays away, be safe and have fun.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I hope you're all having a nice afternoon. :smile: I'm enjoying house sitting for my sister and BIL. Their yard is beautiful. Lucky me, I get to enjoy the pleasure of looking at the beautiful flowers - all pink, lavender, purple and white, with a few bright orange California poppies thrown into the mix - and watching the bees buzz around without any of the work except for watering. It really is lovely. :happy:

I'm also loving being able to drop in on my folks for a couple of hours then go "home" again. Takes all the stress of a long visit off but gives all of the pleasure. They have a cute little storage building my son built last year. We're thinking about turning it into a small apartment just for visitors.

Having my own kitchen is wonderful too. I can cook whatever I want, or not cook, and nobody notices or comments. :bigsmile: (My dad, bless his heart, is famous for commenting.) That is awesome.

BTW, I had a great meal for dinner last night. Sauteed diced onion and a few diced carrots. Threw in some sliced zucchini and crookneck squash. When they were almost done, tossed in some fresh diced tomatoes. Ladled the whole thing over brown rice and topped it with marinara (Classico - I didn't make it!) and some shaved Romano cheese. To die for. :drinker:

I "swam" in the pool yesterday (mostly lazily treading water). It's the first time I've been in at this weight. I no longer float without working to keep myself above water! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Funny how those little things make a difference. Barbara (BK), I know how delighted you must be about fitting into a smaller and prettier bra. :flowerforyou: It's little things like these that bring home the difference a few pounds (or a lot of pounds) makes.

Sending hugs to everyone who needs one. Congrats to everyone who's keeping it moderate over the weekend. That's a challenge and we all deserve credit for every effort. Go ahead, pat yourself on the back! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

It's a happy day for me. :smile:

:heart:
  • jeqrosen
    jeqrosen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mark the new thread. Busy getting ready for company for the 4th. Hope to catch up later--where is the time going?!
    Janet
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

It rained here finally! Just had to pop in and share the exciting news. Hope to catch up on the posts later.

Jeannie
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Natalie, I completly understand how you feel. You see, I had bilateral knee replacements done in 2003 and it was THE best thing I ever did. I couldn't walk very far, was falling down, my knees didn't bend and I walked like Herman Munster. I tried everything....nothing worked. Celebrex, ibuprofen and tylenol were keeping me mildly comfortable....and sleeping was the pits. I had them replaced and now, you can't stop me. No pain, I wear high heels, and do everything I want....except run and jump. I hope that you find something that helps you knees....in the mean time...ice packs might help somewhat.

I hope that everyone has a great 4th. To those that are spending their holidays away, be safe and have fun.

You did BOTH at the same time? I am holding off as long as I can, don't want to do it, but I think down the road, it's the only answer....
    Have a good evening...
    Natalie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    It has been a really great day. Started the day out with breakfast with hubby at our favorite breakfast place. we left there and went to local college and walked for an hour. burned 700 cal. it was hot but not too bad. lots of shade. then we came home and after little rest got in pool to try to vacuum and swam for 30-45 min burned more calories. We then went to Heather's and ate boiled crawfish. It rained and rained and rained. Then me and the girls walked for about 25 min. I had to see how long it took me to walk, jog a mile so we all did it. I did it in 24 min. then we started our softball game with family. we played for hour and a half and burned another 700 cal. my total for day was 1800+ I took my shower and after posting willl have a skinny cow to treat myself. MFP said if every day were like today I would weigh 166 in 5 weeks. that would be awesome but not realistic. anyway hope you alll had good sunday and spend your 4th with those you love.
    vicki M
  • CatharinaC
    CatharinaC Posts: 32
    Options
    Hey all

I am 59 going on 30, except my weight.. I have just started my weight loss plan after seeing some photo's .. Yikes!! The one item that is adding up the most is my tea, only because I need sugar.. Sugar substitutes react badly with my system :( . But on a bonus I burned 1500 calories yesterday out on a 3 hour trail ride.. My horse makes me work hard and I really hope to lose if only to make it easier in the saddle. I am finally able to recover from a back injury ( I was doing plumbing work)...
    Any hints for a person starting out would be appreciated
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options

You did BOTH at the same time? I am holding off as long as I can, don't want to do it, but I think down the road, it's the only answer....
    Have a good evening...
    Natalie

Oh, yes, I sure did them both at the same time. My left knee didn't bend at all, so I walked stiff leg on that one. The right knee didn't bend either, but somehow I "learned" to walk by swinging my right leg out from my hip. My feet never came more than an inch or two off the ground. So every now and then, I would fall. I couldn't decide which knee to have done, then asked if he could do both. He said yes and it was a done deal. Physical therapy was long and hard....no matter what I did on one side needed to be done on the other. So, I worked very hard, and today, you can't tell that I had anything done. I walk normally, do anything I want, and have no pain. Unless you see the scars, you would never know. It is the best thing I ever did and would do it tomorrow if I had to

Pam
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    Hey all

I am 59 going on 30, except my weight.. I have just started my weight loss plan after seeing some photo's .. Yikes!! The one item that is adding up the most is my tea, only because I need sugar.. Sugar substitutes react badly with my system :( . But on a bonus I burned 1500 calories yesterday out on a 3 hour trail ride.. My horse makes me work hard and I really hope to lose if only to make it easier in the saddle. I am finally able to recover from a back injury ( I was doing plumbing work)...
    Any hints for a person starting out would be appreciated

welcome, Catharina, we were all new here at one time.....when I started, my first goal was to plan my meals for the day ahead of time and stick to the plan.....my early meals were not healthy, but I stuck to the plan and ate nothing that I hadn't planned in advance.......little by little I improved what I ate including cutting back on the sweetener in my tea so that now I drink unsweetened tea....take it one day at a time and don't try to imagine what it will be like down the road....ask questions:bigsmile: and drink a lot of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy fourth of July to my American friends xx

I'll be back soon - working today unexpectedly.

Love to you all.

Amanda x
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! :flowerforyou:

Well it's almost eleven and I have finally sat down to read posts. I haven't had much time to post but I am always reading.

I have been swimming every other day now for about a week and a half. Yesterday I didn't have time all day, so I ended up going in at 9pm. I had the pool to myself and all the "younger" old men were already in bed by this time so I didn't have any leering going on for once!.:laugh: It was so peaceful and quiet and when I swam on my back I had the stars to look at instead of the blazing sun. After an hour of swimming I then went in the jacuzzi. It was heaven!:love: But then I started thinking how nice it would have been if I had a glass of wine and my guyfriend to be sitting next to and how romantic it would be. Bummed me out so I got out and went and took a shower. Still though, I may do more night swimming. It was so tranquil....even if the lighting and atmosphere get me romantically inclined.:heart:

Mimi:flowerforyou: A couple of things I need to ask you. Pardon me for being slow to ask.:embarassed:
    "I'm trying to get my new space painted so, like Kathy, even if I don't respond to each of you, know that I am reading all your posts and thinking about each of you. I'm amazed at how rich my life has become - all through an online group! I've never been much of a groupie, but this group is easy to love. The variety - in personalities, lifestyles, geographical locations - makes it so fun to tune in.

The best thing about us may be our positive approach to life and losing. What a difference it makes, focusing on the positive. That may be the one biggest single change for me (among the many other single biggest changes! )"

You have been going back and forth to different houses and at the same time are talking about painting, then moving and I am totally confused!!:huh: Last I knew you were living in a trailer I think waiting on your grannie house to be finished. Did you not move in there after all? And you said you are able to cook or not cook now without someone commenting. I thought you lived alone in the trailer. Was I wrong? So who was building the grannie house on their property? See! Confused!

Secondly, you said your daughter had surgery, gallbladder I think. Did everything go okay? Does anything change when you don't have a gallbladder? Did they have to adjust the ring (?) from her gastric surgery. These are questions I need to know the answers for .......I am nosey.:wink:

And finally, Mimi, I wanted to comment on what you posted a while back and I copied. I agree totally and cannot emphasize enough what positive thinking does for oneself. After hitting rock bottom when my ex was cheating on me and we divorced, that whole year I was dead inside. Medication and counseling helped me, but a friend of mine got me into positve thinking. He burned CD's of positive thinking meditation for me which I listened to every night. We talked for hours on ways to look at things and think of things, even the way I spoke of things, eliminating the "glass is half empty" thing and BELIEVING in the "glass is half full" thing. He literally made me change the way I spoke, what words to use. It changed my life forever! It allowed me to become friends with my neighbors who I never introduced myself to for the 2 years I lived there. They became great friends and helped me through rough times. I decided to finally lose weight, for MYSELF, which in turn got me on to MFP and finding this fabulous group of ladies! Thanks to him and to all of you I have come so far and my life is so different now than it was before. I do more things that put me "out there" than I ever have before. I know more people than I ever have before. And even though I have never met any of you personally, I consider you good friends. And more important, I know I can rely on you all for your honesty, faith, and acceptance and greatly respect you all for your knowledge and opinions. I have learned so much from you all! We are all a very positive group and when some of us stumble along (like me) you are always there to pick us up and dust us off and gently push us on again. I still have a long way to go, I admit I get very frustrated and depressed a lot, but nothing like it was before! And I must admit that there have been many times that I have relied on you all to "pick me up"!

Positive thinking, like you, has been one of the single biggest changes in my life~:drinker:

Birdie:flowerforyou:
    I am really feeling you about having to downsize your home. My home was not nearly as large as what you have described or even had the amount of history yours has, but it was home and I had planned on spending the rest of my life there. To go from that to a 1 bedroom apartment and "have to" sell or give away most of my belongings was devastating to say the least. But later I found that a lot of what I had lost was collecting dust or was what they term now "hoarding" and I have realized that what I ended up taking with me was what was most precious to me. All in all, it was just material things. I took with me what I liked the most, what was "valuable" to me and and gave me a sense of home and myself. Plus, I know now that my son will not have to go through all the "years" of my memories deciding what to keep and throw away, and all the time it would have taken from him. My life is more simple now and realistic. I feel good now and you will too eventually. It is kind of a "spring cleaning" of your life and soul.:smile: It will be a new adventure!

Robin:flowerforyou:

I am glad you took the job. If you hadn't maybe you wouldn't have found out about this new, better position? As you have said, "It gets your foot in the door" and that is important, because it opens up new possibiites (like this other position you applied for). Plus knowing you have the security of a job makes you feel more confidant in achieving what you want. You go girl!:drinker:

Barbie:flowerforyou:

You crack me up with your little figures of the dancing (or is it exercising) woman and cat!:laugh: They are so cute.

Pam:flowerforyou:

My ex mother-in-law has had both knees replaced, one at a time though. However I was not able to see or ask her how it went or what it entaliled. How and who determined that you needed knee replacement. Is there a criteria you have to meet? How painful was it? ( I don't handle pain well,,,big wussy) How soon after the surgery were you able to walk? Or could you? I know you said it was long and hard with the therapy, how long did it take? I am just curious, because my knees are pretty bad. I am constantly in pain, walk like Herman Munster also, and cannot get on my knees or completely bend them back. My doctor hasn't suggested knee surgery yet, but has diagnosed me with osteoarthritis in both knees. I may try going to a chiropractor also. I went for an evaluation for physical therapy the other day and they had me do some exercises and massaged my knees and found a knot behind each knee. When I asked what it was they said it was the muscles that were very tight. Massaging them helped me afterwards and also the ice packs as they said the tissue in my knees were swollen. I would appreciate any info you can offer.

Well I am going to go and watch the rest of the movie I have been watching all day in bits and pieces. I bought the movie "Pillow Talk" with Doris Day and Rock Hudson. It was filmed before "my time" but I remember always watching it on Saturdays when I was little ( along with other oldies, like The Mummy, Mr. Limpet and the Ghost and Mr. Chciken) all of which I own now becasue I enjoyed them so much. I'm at the part where Doris has found out that Rock is the louse who has been sharing her party line with her and has pretended to be someone else. Gotta go finish it!

Good night all.
    Have a Fun 4th of July!
    Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th of July!
    I got up early to take my friends to the airport and finally got to catch up on posts. It was great to read the news on this board. I don’t have anything special planned today…my husband has to work. I am going to be dog sitting for my neighbors three dogs…we love them so it will be lots of fun. I am trying to plan a day I will enjoy for the holiday. I think so many of my friends are in transition….kids grown up, parents either sick or have passed and we are trying to find a new way to do holidays.

Jeanne…what an awful week. I hope you feel better this week.

Natalie… I hope you knee feels better. What a long wait to get to see your doctor.

Mimi…. I am thinking of you with the fruits and veggies. I bought a juicy watermelon and I will make sure that is what I have today instead of the sugary trail mix I had yesterday! Good for you in getting into the next decade. I am breaking into a new low…and I see it and then I don’t…so I can’t wait to be there solidly!

Jackie….I love the image of the “Soft Shoe Shuffle”. I need to clean today! Congrats on your loss this month.

AEisle…I am just like you with needing the consistent exercise to consistently lose. I didn’t get to the gym the past three days and I just see my weight go up. I know I need to get there this morning.

Lorrie. ….I joined MFP a long time ago…left and then came back heavier. I started using this board this spring and really credit my progress to the people on this board. I also feel this group has kept me focused and motivated; even when I get discouraged. I think getting here daily helps….so that I don’t stay off track long and I realize that so many of us are working hard to be healthy.

Barbie…I also thank you for keeping this group going. Your insights and encouragement have really helped me too.

Kelley and CatharinaC….Welcome!!

Wizzywig….Glad to see you back.
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies:

Happy 4th of July to my American Friends, I hope you all have a good one.

I did not do well in June, not good at all, but I am hoping to do better in July. I started off well in May and then just sputtered and nothing, no loss in weeks but I will get back on track this month and will get the scale moving again, I am sure of it.

Wishful - With 2 weddings to plan, you will be very busy for sure.

Alice - Happy 34th Anniversary. I just realized I am coming up to my 21st wedding anniversary (2nd marriage) on Wednesday. Wow, how times flies.

Robin - I hope you make out well with your job decision.

Natalie - I am so sorry that you are such paid. I send you hugs.

bada_bing - Welcome.

Sissy - Congrats on your weight loss in June.

Vicki - Try not to weigh yourself in the day then you won't be so shocked again!! Isn't it amazing how much we gain through the day.

Sally - Keep at it, you will start losing soon.

Jeanne - Glad that the chiropractor worked for your migraines.

Mimi - Amazing you for making progress on your weight. Please send some my way.....

Helena - Welcome.

Sharon - Welcome to you too.

Barbara - I loved your thread about your new bra and pink at that - my favourite colour!!

Wizzy Wig - Hope all is well with you.

Catharina - Welcome.

Well, Ladies. I hope all have a good Monday, Talk to you tomorrow.

Cathy xx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Glorious Fourth to all you lovelies!

Barbie loved :heart: your story, so glad you and Jake found each other at last. Dreams DO come true.
    Kelley, taking Your signature (daily apple ... really take my vitamins) as a direct message to me! :wink:
    Birdie :brokenheart: We downsized 4 years ago from 3600 sq ft to 1500. So much more manageable, but small comfort for the grief of leaving.
    Lorri, thanks for the link to the DVD swap.:love:
    Faye congrats on the BP! :flowerforyou:
    Viv small op? :sick:
    Mary you said you stayed at your mom's :cry: with GS en route to camp. Who takes care of her house now that she's in hospital?
    SMVQ you have to work to keep afloat? Great and double benefit :smooched:
    Chiclet loved your description of swimming under the stars. Wish we had a pool, so long as we had someone else to take care of it. :bigsmile: We had an above ground pool for the newphews, took 2 years to put up (and my threat to throw all the :explode: pieces down the :devil: hill), then ended up giving it away because Joe wouldn't let me use it without 2 days' notice for him to clean it...:noway:
    Michelle, the prediction test is different from the bubble game. Leaning forward does NOT make you move forward faster. Just lean left and right to dodge the oncoming squares and walls. That having been said, the wii usually says "not your cup of tea" and asks if I frequently try to block out my environment. :noway: Ouch! Have you tried the advanced bubble game? Never made it past the dark... ;} Saw Melissa d'Arabian on the Food Network bake kale chips, maybe would work for chard too?
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/crispy-kale-chips-recipe/index.html
    Sally :glasses: my Joe works today too, so my Holiday plan is to excavate more lava rock from the dead corner, and maybe stroll with Dixie, tinypal and her two pups (Dante and Milton).
    Jackie, :laugh: loved hearing about hedgehog babies' excursion. Took an evening stroll with Dixie (the General's too creaky for long walks) and saw a very lifelike garden sculpture of a racoon standing up ... then she flowed down onto all fours and melted away before Dixie could notice and give chase... Was relieved as Dixie has a long and bloody history with racoons.

Love and hugs to all those I couldn't respond to, but gotta get to earthmoving before it heats up too much.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th to you all.
    Having a hard time lately sticking to what I should eat.We had a family cookout,knew ahead what I was gonna eat and ended up eating too much.
    So today I`m starting over and staying with my plan.
    Hope you all make good choices and enjoy the 4th.
    Jane
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    ]have-a-beary-nice-4th.gif

In a few minutes I'll be putting on my red vest and stars and stripes hat and taking the poodles for their Independence Day walk.....later watching the Hot Dog Eating contest on TV and in the afternoon going to the city band concert in the park........no events with food :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Well, Windows update got me. I must have missed the warning when I went to get my coffee. I had a nice long post responding to everyone not saved in Word.

Everyone just got up, so I don't have time to retype and repost, So ........................

Happy 4th to all in the USA and a Happy Day to all others.

Jeannie
  • collycan
    collycan Posts: 26
    Options
    Happy 4th of July! Sorry that I don't know how to add the cute little icons that so many of you have posted, but I definitely love them!

I'm still out camping which means really struggling to avoid all of the family potatoe chips and sodas :sad: At least the bike rides that seem to last F-O-R-E-V-E-R help to burn the calories.

Natalie: Sure hope your knees are feeling better. All the bicycling this weekend is KILLING my knees, but Ibuprofin helps. I'm sure mine knee pain is minimal compared to yours....I'm sure sorry to hear that-must hurt like *&^%*

Chicklet: Sure hope you are hanging in there with Caregiving, and that you are able to enjoy some festivities & fun for the 4th.

AuntieBK: Sorry to hear your Hubby is working today so your out "working the fields"! And with no pool to cool off in afterwards :sad: Sure hope you have a great day anyway!

Mimi: Your fruit and vege intake is just plain INSPIRING!!!!! I think of you everytime I debate: apple pie or nice fresh apple :smile:

Hope everyone has a GREAT Day!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY USA!
    439744qdftqvb2dy.gif

I will have cowering dogs all day. it has been pretty bad the last couple of days but I know today will be bad. so many people with so many fireworks. DH is included in that and I just hate it.