Bookworms

Options

Replies

• lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I love actual books. But 10 years ago I had to move cross country and I could only bring with me what I could pack in my vehicle. I sat on the floor surrounded by piles of my books crying bc I had to decide what to keep and what to give away.

It was the booknerd version of Sofie's choice.

Never again.

With my ereader I can have as many books as I want and never have to experience that again. It still hurts :'(

Plus some authors put out free ebooks or free excerpts or prequels and such that you can only get online.

But there's still nothing like holding a book and smelling the pages.

Now if I do buy a book I donate it right away. Not going through Sofie's choice again. (I've moved too many times in my life, more inevitably)
  • Nytebby
    Nytebby Posts: 80 Member
    Options

i know you didn't actually ask me - but i really liked the whole series so far, now if we could only get the next book before hbo blows it all to hell . . .

Thanks! Will give it another shot once I finish the Steinbeck book I'm reading :smiley: What are you currently reading? ;)

I just finished the goldfinch, which took me a while to get into, but i ended up really loving it. i'm reading an anthology of science fiction stories edited by Harlan Ellison right now, it's from the 60's and it's called "dangerous visions" there are some really good stories and some laughable ones, but overall i'm enjoying it.

I love Harlan Ellison. He's my favorite short story writer! I've read his Gentleman Junkie compilation a thousand times, and I've been meaning to get my hands on more of his stories.

Right now I'm hooked on Gone Girl. Good god that booked is messed up, but the writing style is fantastic and I keep finding myself gripping at the pages to glimpse what perspective/timeline I'll see next and why. Last book I read was *cough* Fault In Our Stars, since I'm a sucker for romantic fiction when I'm not reading suspense.

*pssst* I'm new. Nice to meet you all!
  • djuvinity
    djuvinity Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Me!! I love romance!! Any type of romance of a boy passionate about his girl. Love that will travel any distance, time, and break down all obstacles in its way (Why did it just sound like an evil villain?) to get to it's other half. I will dabble in any genre if it features a a good pairing even history. But what I am really into is paranormal romance and sci-fi romances, ooh yeah time travelling romances. But I am SICK of shifter romances. I loved them a long time ago but I guess they got to repetitive. I might have devoured a couple of hundred of shifter romances in my teens!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I like my romance with a dash of humor - Eloise James has a very nice, easy style, good, quick characterizations, and she invites her reader into her worlds with graciousness and an edge.

Going way old time, as I tend to do, for romance, you can't do much better than "Jane Eyre" or any one of Mrs. Gaskell's books - though my introduction to her, long ago, wasn't a romance but a sweet and tart, gentle parody of the town and people she knew when growing up: "Cranford":

pagebypagebooks.com/Elizabeth_Gaskell/Cranford/

The first paragraph hooked me:

"IN the first place, Cranford is in possession of the Amazons; all the holders of houses above a certain rent are women. If a married couple come to settle in the town, somehow the gentleman disappears; he is either fairly frightened to death by being the only man in the Cranford evening parties, or he is accounted for by being with his regiment, his ship, or closely engaged in business all the week in the great neighbouring commercial town of Drumble, distant only twenty miles on a railroad. In short, whatever does become of the gentlemen, they are not at Cranford. What could they do if they were there? The surgeon has his round of thirty miles, and sleeps at Cranford; but every man cannot be a surgeon. For keeping the trim gardens full of choice flowers without a weed to speck them; for frightening away little boys who look wistfully at the said flowers through the railings; for rushing out at the geese that occasionally venture in to the gardens if the gates are left open; for deciding all questions of literature and politics without troubling themselves with unnecessary reasons or arguments; for obtaining clear and correct knowledge of everybody's affairs in the parish; for keeping their neat maid-servants in admirable order; for kindness (somewhat dictatorial) to the poor, and real tender good offices to each other whenever they are in distress, the ladies of Cranford are quite sufficient. "A man," as one of them observed to me once, "is SO in the way in the house!" Although the ladies of Cranford know all each other's proceedings, they are exceedingly indifferent to each other's opinions. Indeed, as each has her own individuality, not to say eccentricity, pretty strongly developed, nothing is so easy as verbal retaliation; but, somehow, good-will reigns among them to a considerable degree."
  • khayam056
    khayam056 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Another bookworm here , happy to find my kind here
  • SpontaneousHiker
    SpontaneousHiker Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Also a bookworm...kind of showing up late to the conversation. I love that you guys are discussing Elizabeth Gaskell and Charlotte Bronte! I also love Jane Austen. Those three are my favourite authors!

I didn't discover Elizabeth Gaskell until University, and it was only after watching the BBC adaptation of North and South. After reading that one, I quickly ordered a bunch of her books from the local shop haha.

tumblr_mhz7xaoCV91qcbny4o1_500.gif
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I started Harry Potter today. For the first time. I hope I am not too old for them.

Nobody's too old for Hogwarts! :love: Hope you enjoy them :wink:

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I am reading Devil in the White City. Very well written--read it before it gets turned into a movie.

i love that book!
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Fellow bookworm here.... Hooray for finding others!! :)
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Also a bookworm...kind of showing up late to the conversation. I love that you guys are discussing Elizabeth Gaskell and Charlotte Bronte! I also love Jane Austen. Those three are my favourite authors!

I didn't discover Elizabeth Gaskell until University, and it was only after watching the BBC adaptation of North and South. After reading that one, I quickly ordered a bunch of her books from the local shop haha.

tumblr_mhz7xaoCV91qcbny4o1_500.gif

I discovered her around that time, too - as an author, anyway. I first knew her as the friend and biographer of Charlotte Bronte. I didn't actually read the bio right away though. She came to me through other biographies of Charlotte who used Mrs. Gaskell as a source. Sometimes their picture of her was of a shallow, ambitious, chatty woman and she didn't attract me. Imagine my pleased surprised when I met the sympathy-with-an-edge tone of "Cranford". Then I read her own biography, and emerged with a much fuller, more attractive impression.

See? Never take the first, second or third impressions to be the concrete ones!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    John Sandford, Robert Ludlum, Robert Parker, Mysteries, Lee Child, Yes..I love to read..
  • mickeygirliegirl
    Options
    Has anyone here read "The Girl On The Train" by Paula Hawkins??? I want to discuss it :)
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    another bookworm here. I started reading when I was 4. We were living above a library at that time. What more can you wish for?
    I read pretty much everything - crime, Jane Austen, survival stories, biographies, whatever my mood tells me to read. I currently re-read The Godfather.

Those who like something haunting - try "The Road" (you might know the movie with the same title).

Living near a library is a blessing :love: We had one across the street

I use my library card with an application called "Overdrive" where I can check out e-books onto my tablet, just like any other library book. Makes it real convenient. I can find just about any book I want and don't have to leave my home and if no one has reserved the book, it is an easy renewal.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I read "The Girl On The Train" a while ago. Pretty decent.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    I read "The Girl On The Train" a while ago. Pretty decent.

I thought it was pretty good.. Until the end. It just seemed like an abrupt ending.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm reading some epic fantasy type thing right now. Its apparently a trilogy or some such. I'm on book 2. James Maxwell The Evermen Saga. It's decent and well written...especially for a book that is free with kindle unlimited. I get some real stinkers free on amazon some times.

By the way @louise1491...did you really like the Time Traveller's Wife? I thought that was the most depressing book I ever read.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm reading some epic fantasy type thing right now. Its apparently a trilogy or some such. I'm on book 2. James Maxwell The Evermen Saga. It's decent and well written...especially for a book that is free with kindle unlimited. I get some real stinkers free on amazon some times.

By the way @louise1491...did you really like the Time Traveller's Wife? I thought that was the most depressing book I ever read.

You should read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." Now there's a depressing book.